AW Messenger (Community)

AW Messenger // Community

1  |

joeman

Apr 16, 2006, 7:19pm
This is the first release of AW Messenger, a little application that
sits in your system tray and notifies you about unread telegrams. No
need to have AW open all day, just have this little utility running.
You also dont need to close it to open AW, it will automatically
disconnect from AW when it detects that AW is running, and reconnect
when it detects that you've closed AW.

It's a little experimental at the moment, so I would appreciate any
feedback or bug reports to john at fakeplastic.com .

To use, just edit in your login information into the settings.ini, and
launch AWmessenger.exe.

http://john.fakeplastic.com/d/awmessenger.zip

-Joe
Happy easter!

lady murasaki

Apr 16, 2006, 9:10pm
Great idea Joeman. Can you set this to work for other universes?

joeman

Apr 16, 2006, 9:19pm
Yep, just edit the settings.ini file to point to another universe.

-Joe

[View Quote]

gnu32

Apr 17, 2006, 12:03am
Woah, nice tool

But, how does it do this? dummy client emulation with packets n all?

[View Quote] > This is the first release of AW Messenger, a little application that
> sits in your system tray and notifies you about unread telegrams. No
> need to have AW open all day, just have this little utility running.
> You also dont need to close it to open AW, it will automatically
> disconnect from AW when it detects that AW is running, and reconnect
> when it detects that you've closed AW.
>
> It's a little experimental at the moment, so I would appreciate any
> feedback or bug reports to john at fakeplastic.com .
>
> To use, just edit in your login information into the settings.ini, and
> launch AWmessenger.exe.
>
> http://john.fakeplastic.com/d/awmessenger.zip
>
> -Joe
> Happy easter!

equin0x

Apr 17, 2006, 1:52am
What they like to call "citizen sdk".
Seems to work well..

[View Quote]

phil.

Apr 17, 2006, 6:53am
A great idea. Can it be adapted to handle more that one universe and more
than one cit simultaneously?

syntax

Apr 17, 2006, 3:10pm
Can you send telegrams with this? :D *post this news to swcity.net*
--
Syntax | www.swcity.net

[View Quote]

sweets

Apr 17, 2006, 3:12pm
This seems to be a handy little tool. I have not installed it yet as I do
have a few reservations.

By Login information, I presume you mean our cit names and password. I
really do not like giving my password to anyone that is not affiliated with
AW.

I do not think you could prove to me that you could not and do not have
access to the password I type into that file.

I will be keeping an eye on this though for comments as it does seem like a
good tool. Thought of offering it to aw?

sweets

syntax

Apr 17, 2006, 3:15pm
Joeman has been around the AW community for many years now and is a
respected citizen. People said the same thing for AWE
(http://awe.swcity.net) when SW Comit released it. As if someone would stick
around the AW universe for 7+ years just to build up peoples trust to
release a virus to get some passwords. :P
--
Syntax | www.swcity.net

[View Quote]

sweets

Apr 17, 2006, 3:18pm
maybe because I have been here for 7+ years that I have no trust. I
personally do not know him.
sweets

weizer

Apr 17, 2006, 9:00pm
Most of the SDK program use the priviledge password instead of the cit
password. I wouldn't care giving my citizen number to joeman as well but I
think it would be more appreciated by the community and would also be more
professional and confidential to use the priviledge password.

Anyway, this utility is sure a good idea :-)

Weizer
332602

"sweets" <stylecanin at hotmail.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
4443cdda$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> maybe because I have been here for 7+ years that I have no trust. I
> personally do not know him.
> sweets

You miss the point...

Its not the Active Worlds SDK the program uses, its a special browser
emulation layer, you arnt logging in a bot - it is actually logging in as
your citizen (hence its true name: CitSDK) in order to check when you have
telegrams waiting.

The only way to log in as your citizen (and hence check your telegrams) is
with your citizen password, privilege password is meaningless in this
context.

--
- Mark Randall
http://www.temporal-solutions.co.uk

"We're Systems and Networks..."
"It's our job to know..."

[View Quote]

weizer

Apr 18, 2006, 12:14am
too bad then :(

"Strike Rapier" <markyr at gmail.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
444439b7 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> You miss the point...
>
> Its not the Active Worlds SDK the program uses, its a special browser
> emulation layer, you arnt logging in a bot - it is actually logging in as
> your citizen (hence its true name: CitSDK) in order to check when you have
> telegrams waiting.
>
> The only way to log in as your citizen (and hence check your telegrams) is
> with your citizen password, privilege password is meaningless in this
> context.
>
> --
> - Mark Randall
> http://www.temporal-solutions.co.uk
>
> "We're Systems and Networks..."
> "It's our job to know..."

[View Quote]

andras

Apr 18, 2006, 5:35am
[View Quote] > This seems to be a handy little tool. I have not installed it yet as I do
> have a few reservations.
>
> By Login information, I presume you mean our cit names and password. I
> really do not like giving my password to anyone that is not affiliated with
> AW.
>
> I do not think you could prove to me that you could not and do not have
> access to the password I type into that file.
>
> I will be keeping an eye on this though for comments as it does seem like a
> good tool. Thought of offering it to aw?
>
> sweets

Your fear is justified in many aspects. Never use a third party program which asks your password, not your privilege pass.
OTOH - I checked Joeman's program and it is not passing the password to anywhere except to the universe server, so it is safe to use.

But ... It has the disadvantage that it logs you into the universe and your name (with AFK settings) will appear on your friends' the contact list.

HTH
--
Andras
"It's MY computer" (tm Steve Gibson)

syntax

Apr 18, 2006, 1:39pm
Its not like the program is sending any data to Joeman anyway... :P
--
Syntax | www.swcity.net

[View Quote]

sweets

Apr 18, 2006, 1:50pm
well I have no friends so that is fine LMAO.....thanks Andras for checking
it out. (I do kinda sorta almost trust you *winks)....

sweets

sw comit

Apr 18, 2006, 3:55pm
Plus you'd pretty much be turning yourself in if you posted malware in a
public newsgroup as AWI has their identity and all that, since you have to
be a citizen to post here.

- Com

[View Quote]

legion

Apr 18, 2006, 5:21pm
[View Quote] Andras is definitely one of the most trustworthy and one of the best
candidate for AWI positions, in my opinion (if that were ever possible..
hmm..). He has a long history filled with his rather extensive good
deeds. He is a highly respected and prominent citizen. He kind of remind
me of the wise guys (get it, Goober? ;)).

Anyway, now there may be a point at which Andras becomes an old man who
gets a memory loss and becomes another entirely different personalities,
perhaps with evil, destructive taste, that we couldn't trust him
anymore. What do you think an old man's odd are if he were to be a
leader of a nation and has a nuke as option? He'd definitely nuke
(without knowing or even accidentally ;)). :P

Sorry, that last paragraph was meant to be a joke. ;)

--
Respectfully Yours,
Legion

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the
problem." - Ronald Reagan, 40th President of the United States
(1981-1989)

l3d

Apr 18, 2006, 7:48pm
A great tool :) Thanks joe!
This is what I realy missed about AW as a communication prog.

I hope you're helped with some little problems I encounter? :)
When I rightclick the trayicon and select read telegrams, nothing happens.

And some very minor thing is that when I launch the uni and login as
another citizen the program seems to think that it is the same cit.
Anyway, when I login as another citizen, and send a telegram to my own,
close the browser, then the messenger doesn't notify me of new grams.
Not something that will occur very often, but it does when testing out
this app :)

Btw, this citizen sdk, is this something that is/will come public?

Again thanks for making this app!

Greetings, Lode

joeman schreef:
> This is the first release of AW Messenger, a little application that
> sits in your system tray and notifies you about unread telegrams. No
> need to have AW open all day, just have this little utility running. You
> also dont need to close it to open AW, it will automatically disconnect
> from AW when it detects that AW is running, and reconnect when it
> detects that you've closed AW.
>
> It's a little experimental at the moment, so I would appreciate any
> feedback or bug reports to john at fakeplastic.com .
>
> To use, just edit in your login information into the settings.ini, and
> launch AWmessenger.exe.
>
> http://john.fakeplastic.com/d/awmessenger.zip
>
> -Joe
> Happy easter!

l3d

Apr 18, 2006, 7:50pm
Oh, forgot something.

As the app is realy logging in as me, is it also possible to make a
contact list?

L3D schreef:
> A great tool :) Thanks joe!
> This is what I realy missed about AW as a communication prog.
>
> I hope you're helped with some little problems I encounter? :)
> When I rightclick the trayicon and select read telegrams, nothing happens.
>
> And some very minor thing is that when I launch the uni and login as
> another citizen the program seems to think that it is the same cit.
> Anyway, when I login as another citizen, and send a telegram to my own,
> close the browser, then the messenger doesn't notify me of new grams.
> Not something that will occur very often, but it does when testing out
> this app :)
>
> Btw, this citizen sdk, is this something that is/will come public?
>
> Again thanks for making this app!
>
> Greetings, Lode
>

> joeman schreef:

sw comit

Apr 18, 2006, 8:36pm
Nice new innovative program :D
Just thought of an interesting side effect - if it becomes very popular,
then do you suspect we'll see the universe user count average way higher
from now on? Its only like 300-400 now. If a couple hundred people are
running it in the background the it might jump to 500-600 :O

- Com

[View Quote]

equin0x

Apr 18, 2006, 9:21pm
CitSDK - woot. Ten pts for me.

[View Quote]

talisan

Apr 18, 2006, 11:14pm
> But ... It has the disadvantage that it logs you into the universe and
> your name (with AFK settings) will appear on your friends' the contact
> list.

It would be nice, if this takes off, if AWI would add a new flag to the user
list which would state that you were logged into the messenger program and
not the browser itself, instead of using the AFK state. I think this program
is a fantastic idea.

mauz

Apr 19, 2006, 7:27am
[View Quote] Hmm didn't 3.5 beta/other-universe version have invite.exe, with icon in taskbar?
Users tab would list people running invite.exe, whether their AW was open or not.
So support for more flags should be possible, if not already/still there.

--
Mauz
http://mauz.info

joeman

Apr 19, 2006, 12:06pm
Well, that would involve AW telling me the specifics of how it works,
unless someone has a copy of invite.exe laying around for me.

-Joe

[View Quote]

ry

Apr 19, 2006, 2:06pm
hmm... what world does it log you into? like, where is your avatar?

[View Quote]

ciena

Apr 19, 2006, 2:10pm
it doesnt show your avatar and from what i can tell it doesnt raise the user
count anywhere.
[View Quote]

vera

Apr 19, 2006, 2:52pm
try to join .. so you can see the avatars coordinates........LOL

[View Quote] > it doesnt show your avatar and from what i can tell it doesnt raise the user
> count anywhere.
[View Quote]

joeman

Apr 19, 2006, 5:29pm
You are not logged into any specific world, just into the universe.

-Joe