Reason why Alphaworld GZ never changes? (Community)

Reason why Alphaworld GZ never changes? // Community

1  2  |

sw comit

Feb 19, 2005, 5:25am
Espilae: by the way.. is anyone going to clean up and redesign AWGZ
Stacee: Doubt it AW is now part of history. NewAW is the redo
Espilae: which is never gonna happen
Jaguar Hahn: NewAW hasn't even been opened
Stacee: *raises an eyebrow*
Stacee: *winks* Ah....but that could change
DaBean e has gotta go
Espilae: and then restore it
Stacee: Sooner then you might expect
Espilae: back it up somewhere
Espilae: and then delete this eyesore
Stacee: lol Espilae, this....was the wave of the future 10 years ago

This is the cut down log. Full log is available at
http://www.swcity.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=3277.0
AWI played the history card. Being the most fustering card to play, this
naturally caused some anger and the conversation got nowhere past that.

Seriously, AWI is still going on and on about how Alphaworld is history and
should rot and die. When will they learn we DON'T WANT it to be history.
It's still out there. There's NO REASON why it needs to be swept under the
rug when it can be easily brought up-to-date with what the software offers.
There's only a small minority of people who want AWGZ perserved - 8.47 %
according to the awnews.org.

Not only that, and most importantly, AWI admited numerous times NewAW was
never intended to replace Alphaworld. So are they just completely
abandoning the idea of freestyle building in a massive world? Wow...smart
move -_-

c p

Feb 19, 2005, 3:09pm
[View Quote] its nothing like aw...

NewAW is an rpg...

AW is a build world...

>_< silyl AWI

e n z o

Feb 23, 2005, 7:12pm
Just to clarify...

1. NewAW is not and has never been meant to replace AlphaWorld.

2. AlphaWorld is a part of history and has been since it opened in 1995

3. AlphaWorld has not been "swept under the rug"

bodhitah

Feb 23, 2005, 7:42pm
[View Quote] "Just to clarify...
1. NewAW is not and has never been meant to replace AlphaWorld."

So when might we see NewAW? I seem to remember May 2002 you said "soon,
very soon" at the Cy Awards. You've released "works in progress" before,
why not now??

[View Quote] As a "historical" world don't you think it deserves some "restoration",
such as "litter" removal around GZ??

[View Quote] See above comment.

So fix... the damned... Ground Zero.

While you are at it, add a few hundred new objects, a proper skybox, and
maybe add demeter (source is available now).

I recon you could do it as a company in oh... 3 hours? Not bad for about 90%
customer satisfaction!

- Mark R

[View Quote]

sw comit

Feb 23, 2005, 8:30pm
Instead of just adding more objects, set up appropriate donation "channels".
I tried to donate in November and nothing ever happened. Its not that hard
to upload some jpg textures into webspace. I could do it in under a
minute -_-

[View Quote]

captain mad mike

Feb 23, 2005, 8:40pm
> 1. NewAW is not and has never been meant to replace AlphaWorld.
When's that due out, by the way?

> 2. AlphaWorld is a part of history and has been since it opened in 1995
We're not saying AlphaWorld isn't a part of AW's history, we're saying its
still an active and changing world, and therefore AWI shouldn't squelch
attempts to "update" the world to preserve its "history" (which, ironically
enough, has been defaced things such as texture overwrites and changes to
the "animate" command).

> 3. AlphaWorld has not been "swept under the rug"
Then why is it that whenever anyone donates an object or texture set
(like DAAP did according to the rotating object at GZ), it just goes ignored
by AWI? Why is it that the only changes we get are simple weather changes
for the season (and still no decent skyboxes)? And why is the GZ still the
same ugly GZ that has been around since I joined in 1999?

-CMM

AW may be history, and thank you for your past updates to it, but that world
needs constant attention since so many people still use it. If there's a
virtual version of a "living document" like our US Constitution, AW world
would be it. :) Might I suggest that if you guys are too busy at the
office to pay it proper attention that you appoint a trusted end user as
caretaker as you have with the peace and gate keeper organizations and
awteen caretaker positions?

Chris

[View Quote]

hyper anthony

Feb 23, 2005, 8:46pm
I'll echo pretty much what everyone else has said. AlphaWorld is a great
world, it does deserve regular updates and improvements. As a previous
poster mentioned, just this simple act of maintaining the world and keeping
it up to par with the citizens will be a great move for support of AWI by
the users.

Heck, updating AlphaWorld might even be... fun! :O

[View Quote]

ferruccio

Feb 24, 2005, 3:09am
No offense, but that's an AbMo style reply right there :P Anyone who knows
AbMo knows what I mean.

[View Quote]

john dough

Feb 24, 2005, 1:47pm
I agree with AWI in that AlphaWorld GZ should remain as it is as a testament
of the past. But.....should that mean mass billboards in the general
vicinity of GZ should be a part of that preservation? Are these what we want
new users to the program to be bombarded with as a record of AW's great
history? I for one should hope not. I mean, if someone threw trash on the
ground, shouldn't someone clean it up, or should that too be preserved as
history?

I think there should be a caretaker group who should clean up the mass of
billboards very quickly as they give the first impression that there is no
policing at all. If you ran a forums (or similar) online, wouldn't you clean
up all the mass spam/trash etc so users could actually see the true content
of which they came to the site for and not be blinded by spam or trash? And
what sort of users would such a badly maintained site attain by giving this
impression? Definitely not those of higher education, but more likely those
whom may be considered less desirable.

In my opinion, and this is why I no longer build in AlphaWorld, it looks
poorly maintained. And I, from a professional point of view, prefer to
impress upon perspective clients that maintenance and their overall
enjoyment is a top priority. I would want all to see the true value of what
I am trying to sell, and not be blinded or distracted by those attempting to
do so with their billboards.

I wouldn't bring my perspective clients into a dirty office (AlphaWorld),
for fear of losing that client. Your doing a great job AWI and I value your
vision.....but perhaps some true professionalism in ALL facets of business
would secure your position for the future and detour it from the direction
AlphaWorld appears to have taken.

Just my opinion of course,
John Dough
arcworld at shaw.ca
www.Arcworld3D.com

[View Quote]

bodhitah

Feb 25, 2005, 8:01pm
Maybe he's "too busy" to answer??

[View Quote]

jaguar hahn

Feb 26, 2005, 11:53pm
A lot could be done. Billboards need to be abolished entirely. The GZ needs
to redone..etc. I say we should keep things like the river and stage, but
just redo them. Otherwise, scrap most of the other stuff and rebuild it
entirely. I'm all for it.

facter

Mar 8, 2005, 1:32pm
> Seriously, AWI is still going on and on about how Alphaworld is history and
> should rot and die. When will they learn we DON'T WANT it to be history.
> It's still out there. There's NO REASON why it needs to be swept under the
> rug when it can be easily brought up-to-date with what the software offers.
> There's only a small minority of people who want AWGZ perserved - 8.47 %
> according to the awnews.org.

Touch AWGZ?

Over my dead body, newbler.

c p

Mar 8, 2005, 10:54pm
[View Quote] Oldbies should stay in their oldbie palaces...

and not show their ignorance to the rest of the world by saying
'newbler' comign out of their lurking positions simply to flame, and of
course for personifying GZ...

facter

Mar 9, 2005, 11:54am

> *sigh*
>
> Oldbies should stay in their oldbie palaces...
>
> and not show their ignorance to the rest of the world by saying
> 'newbler' comign out of their lurking positions simply to flame, and of
> course for personifying GZ...

No idea who you are, but you should have a little more respect. To
change AWGZ is to change something of historical value. To you know any
of the stories behind the place? Do you know any of the actual history?
Tell me, what is "Bel's Corner", why is it the way it is? So, what, hey,
why dont we go and knock down the Empire state building. Why dont we go
knock down the White House, oh, or the Washington Monument. See, those
places are a part of American history. They are part of that countries
history, and it disgusts me, that you, who are one of the ones who sit
there and probably go on about how much they "lvoe aw!" that you would
even begin to think about knocking down a piece of living history. Aw is
one of THE oldest VR environments running on the web. There is nothing
else like it. There never will be - it is as much a nation as anywhere
else. As much a COMMUNITY as anywhere else, as any other mation on this
earth. It has had wars, it has had deaths (yes, and some of those who
are no longer with us have a lot of history in AWGZ - do you accept the
defiling of memorials also?), it has had pain, love, life birth,
sacrifice .. it is a virtual monument to TEN YEARS of a new world. That
world may no longer be in its golden days, but that doesnt mean that you
go and piss on those who made that world what it is in order to have
WEEEEE BLING BLING NU GRAFIIIX!!!

Ignorance? Dont even start with me mate, you are outmatched,
out-historified, out-knowledged and out clued - and if you seriously
want to try to match me in a flame war, then please, pretty please -
bring it on. I havnt had fun arguing in this forum for some time. If
not, and if you want to actually start showing some respect for the
history of the software you procalim to love, slink back into YOUR
corner, and shut the fuck up :)

I think I might hang around a while, it seems some of you newbies might
need to actualyl learn a little more about what went into this community
from the very start. I'm quite happy, and MORE than eager to teach :)

Take care now.
F.

ps - I never went anywhere. I never left, and I never intend to. Guess
you havnt met me before - but now you have. I'd say that makes you
pretty special, to be able to get me out into the open like this.

Yeah.. its one of the oldest... and aint moving forward.

Probably why 'there' is kicking our asses. You just helped prove our own
point :)

Why don't you still watch black and white TV Facter? I mean there was the
whole moon landing etc...

- Mark R

[View Quote]

lady nighthawk

Mar 9, 2005, 12:32pm
Throws a guess in da ring ...

Hmmm ... Bel's Corner ... I would hafta guess that would be Belfalest? Dunno
why it's *his corner* tho LOL ... although I can ask him, he's still around.

Regarding you being an oldie ... and loaded with AW history ... bring it on,
would love to hear it :o}

Hugzzz from a relative newbie to yer oldieness!

LNH

binarybud

Mar 9, 2005, 2:14pm
Sic 'em Facter!!!!!

I don't understand why these "newb"'s always want to change AW AW is AW and should always remain AW if ya want something new.....pick a new world this is only one world in the bucket of many...and as Facter says it's history! Leave history alone and stop trying to change it! move on to "better worlds" if you so bored with Alpha.

Take care Buddy
Leo :)

see, you could look at it that way, but the fact is, AW is considered a
source of entertainment you could say, and with entertainment, history is
not something you keep, because history only usually means (except in the
rare film ro song) that it's shit by todays standards.
ya, there are the few classic movies, but how many companies do you see
marketing them? how many people do you see trying to make a black and white
movie, or go back to making special effects in movies, frame by frame.
the fact is, no one wants to visit and 3D enviroment of any kind, and see
old, detailless textures and objects. because even though that was
acceptable 10 years ago because of hardware limitations, it isn't now.
and as for the empire state building, i'm sure for one, they made a couple
of modifications to it. like newer elevators, central heating/cooling,
whatever. and if it was considered unefficent (as in, taking in less money
then the land is worth) they wouldn't hessitate to knock it down.
Fact is, AW gz should be a show of what could be done in activeworlds,
instead of what had been done years ago.

Oh, and could always move the GZ somewhere else. you could argue that it
wouldn't be "the same". but hey, it's not physical. and if that was the
case, then if the AW server was moved, or just the propdump thingy majiga
was moved, then techniclly, it's just a copy of the original GZ anyway.

-SWE

[View Quote] > No idea who you are, but you should have a little more respect. To change
> AWGZ is to change something of historical value. To you know any of the
> stories behind the place? Do you know any of the actual history? Tell me,
> what is "Bel's Corner", why is it the way it is? So, what, hey, why dont
> we go and knock down the Empire state building. Why dont we go knock down
> the White House, oh, or the Washington Monument. See, those places are a
> part of American history. They are part of that countries history, and it
> disgusts me, that you, who are one of the ones who sit there and probably
> go on about how much they "lvoe aw!" that you would even begin to think
> about knocking down a piece of living history. Aw is one of THE oldest VR
> environments running on the web. There is nothing else like it. There
> never will be - it is as much a nation as anywhere else. As much a
> COMMUNITY as anywhere else, as any other mation on this earth. It has had
> wars, it has had deaths (yes, and some of those who are no longer with us
> have a lot of history in AWGZ - do you accept the defiling of memorials
> also?), it has had pain, love, life birth, sacrifice .. it is a virtual
> monument to TEN YEARS of a new world. That world may no longer be in its
> golden days, but that doesnt mean that you go and piss on those who made
> that world what it is in order to have WEEEEE BLING BLING NU GRAFIIIX!!!
>
> Ignorance? Dont even start with me mate, you are outmatched,
> out-historified, out-knowledged and out clued - and if you seriously want
> to try to match me in a flame war, then please, pretty please - bring it
> on. I havnt had fun arguing in this forum for some time. If not, and if
> you want to actually start showing some respect for the history of the
> software you procalim to love, slink back into YOUR corner, and shut the
> fuck up :)
>
> I think I might hang around a while, it seems some of you newbies might
> need to actualyl learn a little more about what went into this community
> from the very start. I'm quite happy, and MORE than eager to teach :)
>
> Take care now.
> F.
>
> ps - I never went anywhere. I never left, and I never intend to. Guess you
> havnt met me before - but now you have. I'd say that makes you pretty
> special, to be able to get me out into the open like this.

binarybud

Mar 9, 2005, 3:57pm
you do know what the word "Alpha" means?......The first one; the beginning..... leave it as the first world....to be looked at and marveled at....it's 10 years old.....sheeesh just move on and create a new more robust world for marketing this is history.....and should be left alone for others to see how things started. How dare you call our history "shit"....learn from it...... that's what it's there for.

IMHO
Leo :)

Yes, i know what alpha means, but i see no indication of it meaning that
it's something that doesn't change. it could be named alpha world, like
calling someone the alpha-male, seeing how it's the largest world, and
probably the most popular.

And history? is freaking 8-10 years old, what sort of history is that? how
am i ment to learn from that? i've got toys with more history then that.
plus, whats there to learn? what people built 10 years ago? well whooptedoo
for them. they did alright, but now people are doing much better.
anyway, unless Activeworlds have the intention of leaving AW as a preserved
world, then they should update the damn GZ, and objectpath. if they are
"preserving" it, then they need to open up a new huge public building world

Fact of the matter is AW is dying, and old ass building sets and GZ play a
pretty big part in that. Think about how important image is in food, how
having the food look nice, is as important as having it taste good. it's
even more important in Activeworlds. could have all the features in the
world, but if it aint got pretty worlds, no one is going to care.

-SWE

[View Quote]

ciena

Mar 9, 2005, 5:56pm
You guys that r always whinning and sniveling about AW (and u know who u r)
why dont u just go to another world or get your own world or better yet
leave AW. I myself like the history to stay. If u dont like the way AW is
run then why do u stay? Go play with your other toys. There is pretty worlds
if u just take the time to go see them. And if u get around more u will see
some awesome builds made with "old ass building sets " Just go look at OW
in alpha or go look at Vera's awesome builds there. There's a lot of awesome
builds made with those "old ass building sets ". I plan on staying here
without complaining as long as AW is here or untill I take the big dirt nap.
I am happy with AW and I'm sure there is plenty of others that feel the same
way. If I don't like someone I simply don't associate with them. If I dont
like a Uni I simply leave. All some of u do is complain. and how's that
working for ya? Doesn't do any good does it?

"ciena" <nikona at comcast.net> wrote :
> You guys that r always whinning and sniveling about AW (and u know who u
> r) why dont u just go to another world or get your own world or better yet
> leave AW.

*slow claps for stupidity*

> I myself like the history to stay.

You would do, your opinions are a relic... and we are only 4 lines into the
newsgroup post.

> If u dont like the way AW is run then why do u stay?

'You'

> Go play with your other toys. There is pretty worlds if u just take the
> time to go see them.

Perhaps its not about world hopping?

> And if u get around more u will see some awesome builds made with "old
> ass building sets "

Go check out Ferrs build in AWTeen, get a 5Ghz processor and your face will
fall off.

> Just go look at OW

Well we all know how successful OW has been... *cough*

> in alpha or go look at Vera's awesome builds there. There's a lot of
> awesome builds made with those "old ass building sets ". I plan on staying
> here without complaining as long as AW is here or untill I take the big
> dirt nap.

It appears to me you are complaining now...

> I am happy with AW and I'm sure there is plenty of others that feel the
> same way.

'pleanty' doesnt pay the bills, 'tens of thousands' does...

> If I don't like someone I simply don't associate with them. If I dont like
> a Uni I simply leave. All some of u do is complain. and how's that working
> for ya? Doesn't do any good does it?

ciena

Mar 9, 2005, 6:35pm
Stupidity? hahaha whats this? 'pleanty'

See, ok, apart from what strike said (which i agree with) going to add a few
other things.
first, no need to act rude, we are having a debate, not an arguement.
telling someone to leave, and go play with thier toys, quite immature...
anyway, the reason people complain about things, is because they want to see
it improved, and don't want to give up hope on it.
Yes, there are a couple of good builds there, but they only appear good
because of the limitations. give me a set of blueprints( i'm not creative
you see) and i guarentee that i (or anyone else who knows how to
model/texture) could make the buildings look 10x better, just by modeling a
few, more efficent models, and better textures.
They are good builds, but they totally kill you're frame rate, and take more
work then they should/could with better objects. which, is why the OP needs
to be updated. but we are talking about the GZ anyway.

The GZ, is like the lounge/welcome area to a hotel. if it looks old, and
butt ugly (which the AW gz does, but thats just my opinion) you won't care
if it's been built by fucking jesus, you'll get a bad impression of the
hotel, and the country you're staying in, especially if it's seen as a
landmark. and that is what is happening with AW(alphaworld, not
activeworlds). people enter the worlds, such as AW, and some of the other
public worlds, take a look, and get a bad impression of the world, and the
universe as a whole, and so, could help persuad them to leave. and don't try
arguing that point, because it's true, it's just the way people
are(psycologically).

and so, i think the AW gz definatly needs updating, and so does the OP. and
after that, they can go update the rest of the world GZs.
The sad thing is, there is lots of talent available for them, lots of people
who would gladly help make the gz/objects and who would want nothing in
return, but seams AW don't want to "waste" thier time on setting up a
community team, which would save them so much more time.

-SWE

[View Quote]

ciena

Mar 9, 2005, 8:50pm
Sorry if i sounded rude. it wasnt my intention. I do think with more
patience there will be improvements. I have heard that we r gonna have some
cool things sometime this year in an upgrade. Also right now i think they r
busy up to their ears in server problems.
All I'm saying is complaining wont do any good. They will upgrade when the
time is right for them. When i 1st came to aw we didnt even have rocks. but
it was fun trying to make some out of other objects. and it can be done. it
was a challenge to build then. I like a challenge.
maybe in time there will be new objects and textures maybe there wont be.
but its what it is for now and we have to accept it or find an alternative.
My typing sux and i dont always use caps or punctuation and i'm too lazy to
so if u wanna flame me for it have at it. i wont respond.

oh, well sorry, must of misunderstood. was watching tv, and not very patient
after watching a bad show :)
well, the thing is, complaining could actually help. on the rare chance
anyone from AW sees this, they will know how we feel. and plus, it's a anger
relief thing. we need to let out our frustration, and say what we think
about AW, or we will just really annoyed, and probably end up leaving.

As for the objects. the fact is, anything can be made up from the simplest
of objects. when you think about it, the only thing even the most complex
objects are, is a bunch of squares (talking in AW turns, so don't no one try
to be a smart ass and start talking about nurbs, and whatnot). but, since
the shapes of the planes in aw can't be changed, then they've got to update
it, or everything made will just look..wrong.
and all though normal builds will never look as good as the enviroments in
games, seeing how everything there is specificlly made for the enviroment,
and everything is modeled to fit perfect, the GZ can, and so, i think it's
important for them to start somewhere, and build out (i.e, work on the op as
a whole, update old textures, objects, etc).
[View Quote]

sw comit

Lotta people are saying that. That doesn't apply to everyone. Here's my
side of the story:

In a few weeks SW City will be 6 years old. Yup, I and some friends founded
our city 6 years ago. Since that day, we've been an active and developing
community in AW. Our territory in AW makes up 2000 by 3000 coordinates,
comprising of god only knows how many buildings and projects, and about 10
million objects and rougly 250 builders.

Do you expect the SWC community to just pack it up and move to to another
world? Even if wanted to, that's impossible. There's no affordable world
big enough to transplant the city.

We're a building-based community of AW, and as such, one of our top
priorities is the betterment of our projects and the environment it sits in.
And obviously, you can only do so much when you don't have any control of
the world you build in. Alphaworld is our homeworld, and we'd like to be
proud of it, not loath it. A GZ should be a world's proudest features.
Instead, we're stuck with aging ruins :(

- SW Comit
www.swcity.net

They have awgz world for a reason...