WOW chrispeg (565)! (Community)

WOW chrispeg (565)! // Community

1  |

lady nighthawk

Jan 30, 2005, 6:31am
Am I imagining things when someone requests to join me now and even though I
have AW browser minimized it OPENS ... wow, fantastic job! What a way to get
a person's attention if someone else wishes to join :o} Thank you for fixing
that minor lil bug!!! Oh and thank you for fixing cloud layer1 ... I see
stars now ... whoooopy! You rock chrispeg...

LNH

--

captain mad mike

Jan 30, 2005, 2:06pm
Wait, so when you have AW on and someone tries to join you, it steals focus
from whatever you're doing to tell you that someone wants to join? That's
going to get very, very annoying...

-CMM

[View Quote]

themask

Jan 30, 2005, 2:52pm
Agreed there CMM.. I think it should be an OPTION, not forced.

This is an absolutly rediculous and distructive way of doing it, no program
should EVER override its minimisation settings.

It would be so horrendously easy to impliment this using a checker and a
storage collection that happens when the window has focus.

This is crap coding, I would certainally not get away with it when making
programs.

--------------------------------
== sudo'd ==
--------------------------------

Type JoinRequest
string Requester
time Recieved
int Timeout
wnd window
End

Collection [JoinRequest]
Add(name, timeout, owner)
Req = new JoinRequest
Req.Requester = name
Req.Recieved = Time(Null)
Req.timeout = timeout
Req.window = owner
Add Req to Self
return Req
End
End

Class PopupWindow
OnTimer
refJoin.timeout--
if (refJoin.timeout = 0)
Close
end if
End [OnTimer]
Reference of [JoinRequest]
End

OnJoinRequest
If IsIconic(mainwindow)
Add Collection Item (Joiner, 45, null)
Add to Collection (req)
else
window = New PopupWindow
JoinR = Collection.add(Joiner, 45, null)
window.refJoin = JoinR
JoinR.window = window
end if
End

OnWindowActivate
for each item in collection
if (items window is null)
window = new PopupWindow
window.refJoin = item
item.window = window
end if
next
End

It works, but its implimentation is crap (sorry chris)

- MR

[View Quote]

lady nighthawk

Jan 30, 2005, 6:32pm
Have any of you tried it? Maybe it works on mine but not others LOL. I dunno
but I like it! I can always reminimize if I don't want to allow the join.
But at least if I'm not in aw I'd see that someone wants to join, especially
if I don't have my sound up.

LNH

tengel

Jan 30, 2005, 7:41pm
If it is a problem, just change your Options settings to block join.

--
Tengel

www.3D-Nordic.com

emm, ya, but then no one can join us.
thing is, sometimes you're doing something, and don't want another window to
just suddenly pop open, and stopping you from whatever you're working on.
can be very annoying. and blocking join would cause another problem, were
you can't have anyone join you. sometimes you'll check who's trying to join
you, but not straight away. like quickly finish something off, then maximize
AW, and accept, or decline, or ignore or whatever.
but, now, if AW automaticly maximizes, just going to be very very annoying.

-SWE

[View Quote]

tengel

Jan 30, 2005, 8:53pm
then no one can join us.
-----
not correct, people on your contact list can still join if you have set up
the person to allow.
But if you are busy, I can't see the problem to block this.
and when you are free again, you can take it off.

--
Tengel

www.3D-Nordic.com

I just want to stress this isnt personal, im just giving my idea (and my
solution) as a programmer and software engineer (in training)

- MR

[View Quote]

tengel

Jan 30, 2005, 9:13pm
But then again, it would be better if it was a message popup like msn have,
that tells you that you have join request.

--
Tengel

www.3D-Nordic.com

[View Quote]

chrispeg

Jan 30, 2005, 9:38pm
Mark, if I remember well, you were the one who posted it in the beta
newsgroup on LHN's request ;-)

Greetings,
Chris

"Strike Rapier" <markyr at gmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:41fd668f at server1.Activeworlds.com...
>I just want to stress this isnt personal, im just giving my idea (and my
>solution) as a programmer and software engineer (in training)
>
> - MR

I know I know,

The fix just seemed more of a hack, really the 'correct' way is to a) do it
as I sudo'd, or B) have them pop up like MSN, as it is now its a bit of a
screw up, no program should ever override its window settings without user
input, basic rules of multi-windowed OS's.

- MR

This is the confirm join feature that is the problem, not the joins
themselves.

- MR

[View Quote]

lady nighthawk

Jan 30, 2005, 11:16pm
*Loves it chrispeg* you rock! Hugzzz

LNH

lord fett

Jan 31, 2005, 1:08am
or at least do what the IM programs do where it flashes in the task bar
so that you know someone is trying to get your attention.

[View Quote]

tart sugar

Jan 31, 2005, 11:39am
Or just do what I do. If a join request of mine times out, I'll send the
person whose attention I want a blank gram and then immediately ask again to
join. The gram doorbell gets their attention and then they see the join
requst.

Kind of the scenic route way of getting there, but I get there!!

~ TS : )

[View Quote]

captain mad mike

Feb 1, 2005, 7:15pm
But now you don't have to, as the whole issue here is the fact that AW will
now steal attention from whatever you're doing to show you that you have a
join request inbound.

MSN-like popup would be nice...like what my Miranda IM does when my local
weather changes.

-CMM

[View Quote]

lady nighthawk

Feb 1, 2005, 7:19pm
Yep that does sound like a nice idea too!

LNH