VIRUS or real? (Community)

VIRUS or real? // Community

1  |

ry

Sep 15, 2004, 10:50am
Just got a email from apparent 'jobs at activeworlds.com'... heres the header

>From - Wed Sep 15 08:06:54 2004
>From: jobs at activeworlds.com
>To: ryanbirkin at comcastwest.com.au
>Subject: Your document
>Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 06:30:58 -0600

it contained attachment:
powerpoint_document6.pif

>Body:

The powerpoint document is attached.

SO, is it real? lol

--
Ry
www.zenithblu.net

legion

Sep 15, 2004, 11:03am
I doubt that Activeworlds Inc. would send you that so it's probably a virus,
although I could be wrong so I plead the fifth of whiskey. ;)

--
Legion
Chairman of Rockford Township, Phin County, Alphaworld

obviously a virus.

-SWE

[View Quote]

legion

Sep 15, 2004, 11:37am
Oh, and also it's obvious (I think) that powerpoint don't use pif as file
extension either. PIF was supposed to be some kind of command files for
MSDOS so that probably make it good candidate for spreading virus, since
MSDOS was still used to some extent as ways to execute the commands, at
least from its beginning to the Windows XP (though, on lesser basis but
still a core part of the Windows XP but I could be wrong). However, I might
be wrong so I'll let others answer that for you.

--
Legion
Chairman of Rockford Township, Phin County, Alphaworld

Virus.

legion

Sep 15, 2004, 12:02pm
Ok, everyone. All who thinks it is virus says "Aye", all others thinks
otherwise says "Nay".

lol

--
Legion
Chairman of Rockford Township, Phin County, Alphaworld

[View Quote]

lady nighthawk

Sep 15, 2004, 12:46pm
Unfortunately it's a virus, there probably is no such email for awi. I have
a domain and it gets spoofed with such viruses using email addresses that
don't actually exist on my domain. If awi were to offer you a job I'd bet
they would not include an attachment ... especially without letting you know
it's coming first.

LNH

Don't open *any attachments* unless you are expecting something specific
from someone you know!

It is a valid email. But would never contact you unless you applied for a
job, and even then would probably be rick or jp who responded via their own
accounts.

- MR

[View Quote]

e n z o

Sep 15, 2004, 3:30pm
Definitely not sent by AW

themask

Sep 15, 2004, 10:57pm
Okay. Simple briefing; even if its a trusted name/email, never open
anything from a .pif, .scr, .exe... so thats out, its' really obvious its a
V I R U S. Or, in other terms, someone wants some infos to your AW acct(s),
worlds, whatever you have.

--

Signed,
TheMask

:: Owner of Delusional-Minds Hosting ::
[View Quote]

johnf

Sep 16, 2004, 5:11am
I'm just guessing that it's probably a worm. I've been getting a lot of
supposedly legit worm e-mails recently.

John

[View Quote]

pelican

Sep 21, 2004, 4:08am
Email worm!

I don't really think it's a worm. I think it's a watermelon. Y'see, it's a
little know fact that you can hide an entire watermelon from real life
inside an electronic email. (there's a trick to it) Then when you least
expect it, usually during when your children are on your computer, somehow a
trigger is touched and you got seeds and slush everywhere. Thank God that
today's kids have enough sense to take a paper towel and wipe it up (and
across the keyboard too...jamming watermelon beneath the [enter] key)....but
that's ok....why? because we have ants. Those little buggers can find the
smallest piece of watermelon..they're amazing....they'll clean it out for
ya. Then when they are all done, out the door they go, back into their
little holes in the garden where they reside with the worms. WORMS!
OMG...maybe I have a worm!

[View Quote]

legion

Sep 21, 2004, 4:02pm
Very creative..... lol.

--
Legion
Chairman of Rockford Township, Phin County, Alphaworld

[View Quote]

king small guy

Sep 21, 2004, 7:54pm
I think you have a cheese eating monster who cant find cheese so he eats
your data.

ya this is a load of rubbish (garbage) but could be true.

--
Ksg Ind
[View Quote]

ciena

Sep 21, 2004, 11:09pm
LMAO!!! hmmm im gonna have to bring some ants in to clean out the crumbs in
my keyboard :)