Movie / AW Ratings... (Community)

Movie / AW Ratings... // Community

1  2  |

lady nighthawk

Sep 2, 2004, 1:25am
I gotta ask, see below...

G = GENERAL AUDIENCES All ages admitted.
PG = PARENTAL GUIDANCE SUGGESTED Some material may not be suitable for
children.
PG-13 = PARENTS STRONGLY CAUTIONED Some material may be inappropriate for
children under 13.
R = RESTRICTED Under 17 requires accompanying parent or adult guardian.
NC-17 (was X) = NO ONE 17 AND UNDER ADMITTED (must be 18 or older)

That being said and assuming aw guidelines are following the above, I have
to say that G and PG would pretty much be useless no? If PG-13 requires
Parental Guidance then so should G and PG since that apparently applies to
anyone under 12 as well as over 12!? Why would PG *suggest parental
guidance* while PG-13 *Strongly recommends* it? Seems abit backward doesn't
it???

I wonder what (if any) legal ramifications there might be to owners of G (me
included) and PG worlds should a child under 12 be subjected to anything not
suitable for 12 and under. Why would parents allow their children on at ages
of 12 or less anyway ... alone??? Are G and PG worlds expected to police
their worlds 24/7? Even awgate doesn't have coverage 24/7.

How is one to rate their world less than PG-13 since one cannot control who
comes in and pretty much what is said until it's too late anyway LOL,
assuming you leave your world open for *all ages admitted* ... inquiring
minds want your 2 cents worth...

LNH
^^^ *thinks the movie/aw ratings need to be revamped for proper chronolical
order*

--

c p

Sep 2, 2004, 2:07am
indeed, that's why AW should adopt a the ESRB Videogame ratings, being as it
is in essence a "videogame" despite what we say :)
EC-Early Childhood
E-Everyone
T-Teen
M-Mature
A-Adult
RP-Rating pending....lol maybe for unopened worlds?

http://www.esrb.org/esrbratings_guide.asp#symbols

good site :)
[View Quote]

lady nighthawk

Sep 2, 2004, 6:10am
YES ... now that's much more precise!

LNH

guri lady

Sep 2, 2004, 7:10am
Lady Nighthawk, "I wonder what (if any) legal ramifications there might be
to owners of G (me
included) and PG worlds should a child under 12 be subjected to anything not
suitable for 12 and under. Why would parents allow their children on at ages
of 12 or less anyway ... alone??? Are G and PG worlds expected to police
their worlds 24/7? Even awgate doesn't have coverage 24/7."

I do agree that the ratings should be clearer. Good point, Lady Nighthawk
it has made me think about my G-rated world. I am presently working on a
world for children called BrickWks.

http://pern.awhosting.com/bwindex.html

Since I am CT I have made the world rules strict for this reason. I'm
willing to "police" this world so that young ones can come to AW and have
fun in a safe place. I already have parents that are allowing their
children to come play and build here. I think is because I have made the
world rules so strict.

I certainly hope I will not ever be subjected to any legal ramifications
because we are using this type of world ratings in AW.

Guri Lady

[View Quote]

lady nighthawk

Sep 2, 2004, 7:46am
I consider my world a *safe haven* for all, old and young alike. There are
folks that just wanna go somewhere and chat and feel they won't be subjected
to certain things. Now I'm not suggesting *certain things* are bad ... just
different strokes for different folks. I wanted my world to be open to all
for a nice *general, for all* atomosphere. All worlds have their place and
their theme and all worlds are great because they allow for variation.

I just think the ratings need to be revamped. Although my world isn't only
for children so I'm not sure if that rating system mentioned previously
would work well either. I don't want folks thinking my world is only for 12
and under because it's not ... my world is for everyone that wants to come
and enjoy some good company and fun chat. I try to steer clear of rules
except to say it is g-rated, keep the convo clean. I get visitors of all
ages and I love that!

So far it seems to have served me well but I was just wondering what others
thought also.

LNH

lady nighthawk

Sep 2, 2004, 7:48am
I suppose, upon thinkin bout it, Aeon is E-rated!

LNH

but then, no one will goto your world if you rate it E O_O gotta rate it
atleast T so all the cool kids come :P

-SWE

[View Quote]

e n z o

Sep 2, 2004, 1:18pm
The reason AWI decided to use a rating system was in order to better inform
people as to the content of a world. It is the responsiblity of world
owners to make sure their rating is set to reflect their content.
Complaints had been coming in due to the influx of adult worlds into the
system. We needed to allow people to set a rating, password it and then be
able to at least get a rough idea of world content. At the time we decided
to use the movie rating system it was because it is much better understood
by the majority of people who are unfamiliar with other rating systems.
While it is certain that there are other system just as good or even better
they might not be obvious to majority of newbies.

Another consideration was the terms of use. While a simple movie type
rating is free to use, the ESRB ratings and logos are strictly controlled
and in some usages are a paid for license
http://www.esrb.org/terms_of_use.asp . Since we needed a fast, easy to
understand, inexpensive solution we determined that a simple movie rating
guide would best suit AW for the time being.

e n z o

Sep 2, 2004, 1:31pm
You have a very nice world and I am sure the rating describes it best...
since it is G, it would show to everyone, always no matter where they had
their rating limit set. And "G" does not only mean under 12 (to me at
least) I am way more than 12 but I still thought "Finding Nemo" was great!
:)

ciena

Sep 2, 2004, 2:48pm
MY worlds Arabus and Seacrets and TimeWarp are entirely grated content, but
i do have a couple of personal avatars that are dressed knda skimpy so
thats why i have mine set at PG. I do not have any nude avatars. Do you
think it should be PG because of the personal avatars? Or do you think G
rating would work there? Like I said all worlds contents are G rated
content.
Ciena
[View Quote]

builderz

Sep 2, 2004, 4:39pm
If you are worried about legal issues or lawsuits because someone had a
negative experience while in your world, simply put a up a sign with a
small disclaimer near GZ, place it in the welcome message, or have a bot
say it to all who enter.

It doesn't need to be anything fancy. Something like "Lady NightHawk is
not responsible for the content in this world and what others say here.
Proceed at your own risk." Or maybe "While we try to maintain a good
environment in this world, we cannot guarantee that it will be suitable
for young children at all times. Proceed with caution." I'm sure you
could come up with something better. :)

Even if you do get sued (which I highly doubt), there are ways in which
you can mediate/arbitrate without having to go to court. Take a look at
the Active Worlds Content Guidelines at
http://www.activeworlds.com/community/terms.asp and the Active Worlds
Conduct Guidelines at http://www.activeworlds.com/community/conduct.asp
for more information.

Builderz

[View Quote] > I wonder what (if any) legal ramifications there might be to owners of G (me
> included) and PG worlds should a child under 12 be subjected to anything not
> suitable for 12 and under. Why would parents allow their children on at ages
> of 12 or less anyway ... alone??? Are G and PG worlds expected to police
> their worlds 24/7? Even awgate doesn't have coverage 24/7.

Part of the license is noone can hold AWI accountable, so likely that they
wouldent do the same to you unless something was really really up.

- MR

[View Quote] You can't hold someone else accountable for your own voluntary actions.
That's why that rule exists. You can't sue someone for something you
went to look at. If it offends you, I guess you can turn off your
monitor; this is not true for commericially owned worlds though... which
could be sued for something that is grossly offensive. But small claims
courts wouldn't even take a case like this. :P

c p

Sep 2, 2004, 7:15pm
E N Z O can you not change it, ESRB is made for rating games, of course you
wouldn't have them put a rating on aw, but it would be free im sure, if you
sent them a nice letter requesting that they allow you to use Said rating
for your program, and if they refuse, well then they don't deserve you?

[View Quote]

e n z o

Sep 2, 2004, 7:49pm
Hi Ciena,

If your question is for me to answer, it isn't my call. It really is up to
you to decide. I'm sure you know best.

Oh and BTW you have some very nice worlds whatever the rating is :)

ciena

Sep 2, 2004, 8:20pm
Ty Enzo :) That means a lot to me :).
[View Quote]

c p

Sep 2, 2004, 8:50pm
E N Z O what's your buddyicon rightnow? is it yourself? the ones vwtv made
ha ha :)
[View Quote]

rossyboy

Sep 2, 2004, 10:00pm
VWTV? rb.vwtv.org is merely my personal subdomain; everything there was
uploaded by me personally. Which usually means it was created by me also :¬P

Although maybe you're getting confused because
rb.vwtv.org/enzo/downloads can also be accessed via enzo.vwtv.org...

[View Quote]

rossyboy

Sep 2, 2004, 10:02pm
Read his previous post... you have to pay licenses to use ESRB.

[View Quote] > E N Z O can you not change it, ESRB is made for rating games, of course you
> wouldn't have them put a rating on aw, but it would be free im sure, if you
> sent them a nice letter requesting that they allow you to use Said rating
> for your program, and if they refuse, well then they don't deserve you?

[View Quote]

c p

Sep 3, 2004, 12:35am
hence the reason I said vwtv...
[View Quote]

c p

Sep 3, 2004, 12:40am
his previous post said may, I read the whole website, and watched g4, about
the esrb, game companies usually submit a video with main gameplay footage,
and fillout a questionnaire, and then the ESRB determines what its rating
is...the may never actually touch the game itself...

in the case of AW, the words Everyone, Teen, Mature Content, and such are
all free words, Usually things like that in Webster's are...They cannot
place a copyright over terms like that, their logos and material they can,
but since those are not names, or trademark phrases, it is pointless for
them to argue over it.

cuz if that where the case I could copyright the word THE, and you'd all
have to pay me royalties, and todoso THE would have to be the name of a
Character in something I own, or name of my company, see...

I read like a 90 page document about "fair use" of copyright...

http://www.benedict.com/info/law/fairUse/fairUse.aspx a shorter version of
the whole fairuse act ....

-C P
[View Quote]

ferruccio

Sep 3, 2004, 11:18am
Just wanted to comment: Thank you for responding to more of the NG posts as
of recently ^_^

e n z o

Sep 3, 2004, 1:20pm
In our case they would charge. We did look into it. Of course we could
rate it with the same letters... but we couldn't use the logos and icons nor
could we refer to their site. It seemed that it would only make it more
confusing...

Maybe we could do like Eudora and use hot peppers....

c p

Sep 3, 2004, 2:03pm
Could also make some nice icons
[View Quote]

rossyboy

Sep 3, 2004, 6:09pm
It wasn't a VWTV production though. "ENZO FANCLUB" was my own personal
production. Just like "I LUV MANDEYE".

[View Quote] > hence the reason I said vwtv...
[View Quote]

rossyboy

Sep 3, 2004, 6:11pm
To be honest, I think the current system is fine. You can tell people
that it's the American movie rating system if they don't know about it.
It doesn't take them long to research it. It's unlikely that they WON'T
know about it.

[View Quote] > In our case they would charge. We did look into it. Of course we could
> rate it with the same letters... but we couldn't use the logos and icons nor
> could we refer to their site. It seemed that it would only make it more
> confusing...
>
> Maybe we could do like Eudora and use hot peppers....

weizer

Sep 3, 2004, 7:44pm
Yeah ! I appreciate it a lot and I guess most of the citizens like it too.
Thanks !

Weizer

"ferruccio" <startrek3 at earthlink.net> a écrit dans le message de
news:41386f14$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> Just wanted to comment: Thank you for responding to more of the NG posts
as
> of recently ^_^

c p

Sep 3, 2004, 8:40pm
"Just like "I LUV MANDEYE"." made her cry when she saw that, your so
mean..*waits for AS to tell me she got what she deserved*

yeah but it had TWO locations on VWTV what else was I supposed to do? assume
it was you cuz your god....

-C P
[View Quote]

vera

Sep 3, 2004, 10:08pm
Question............... Is Active Worlds a Game???????

[View Quote] > E N Z O can you not change it, ESRB is made for rating games, of course you
> wouldn't have them put a rating on aw, but it would be free im sure, if you
> sent them a nice letter requesting that they allow you to use Said rating
> for your program, and if they refuse, well then they don't deserve you?

first off, he's NOT God! he's A god, get it right >_<

and "Mandey" isn't a she, might not be a he, not sure what s/h/it is, but,
if you gonna be pretending to be a girl, then a boy, then a girl again, and
making up all this shit, and just being totally dramaful, then you deserve
to be made fun off. cry my ass, that was probably just herhim looking for
attention and pity....

-SWE