warning virus (Community)

warning virus // Community

1  |

heu

Apr 15, 2004, 5:54pm
my anti virus is " bitdefender pro"
i have open the page " webring activeworlds " and my anti virus alert open
:((((((((

the virus name is :
JS.Fortnight.D

control your pc please
iff you have open the page control your pc please.

zeofatex

Apr 15, 2004, 6:13pm
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/js.fortnight.d.html#removalinstructions

Information and removal instructions...

[View Quote]

heu

Apr 15, 2004, 6:19pm
i have too the scan online in my site ahhah
http://www.alusion-fr.com/an1v1.htm

and for me symantec is very very bad , just for mouse

"zeofatex" <greg at warpedsoap.com> a écrit dans le message de
news:407edee0$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/js.fortnight.d.html#removalinstructions

> Information and removal instructions...

Hmmm.... why exactly is that a trojan horse?

- MR

[View Quote]

xelag

Apr 15, 2004, 8:51pm
I was a very large horse built of wood, which in the greek vs Troy war
the greeks left at the gates of Troy 3 thousand years ago, as a
present after the end of the war. The Trojans brought the beast into
the city and, alas, that was their doom. Inside the horse was the
greek army, that got out and killed and destroyed Troy.

Copyright: Homer, The Iliad.

On 15 Apr 2004 17:20:21 -0500, "strike rapier"
[View Quote] >Hmmm.... why exactly is that a trojan horse?

>- MR

This I know... I had classical studies for 3 years... but back to the
origional question.. why the heck is this virus thingy a trojan? I dont see
it granting backdoor access.

- MR

"xelag":
> I was a very large horse built of wood, which in the greek vs Troy war
> the greeks left at the gates of Troy 3 thousand years ago, as a
> present after the end of the war. The Trojans brought the beast into
> the city and, alas, that was their doom. Inside the horse was the
> greek army, that got out and killed and destroyed Troy.
>
> Copyright: Homer, The Iliad.

zeofatex

Apr 15, 2004, 11:03pm
According to Norton:

Trojan Horse
A program that neither replicates nor copies itself, but causes damage or
compromises the security of the computer. Typically, an individual emails a
Trojan Horse to you-it does not email itself-and it may arrive in the form
of a joke program or software of some sort.

"JS.Fortnight.D exploits a Microsoft VM vulnerability using IFRAME tags,
with the SRC field set to the address of the Trojan's creator. After a
series of redirections, an encoded JavaScript will load an applet containing
the exploit. On unpatched systems, various registry keys and Web browser
settings will be modified.
"

It "exploits a microsoft program, and changes registry keys and browser
settings" which apparently "compromises the security of the computer"
::shrugs::.

[View Quote]

kol

Apr 16, 2004, 12:53am
He said that?

[View Quote]

lioness.

Apr 16, 2004, 1:58am
> I was a very large horse built of wood<

No comment (giggles) ;-"D

[View Quote]

rossyboy

Apr 16, 2004, 4:15pm
Everyone, switch from Microsoft Java VM to Sun Java!

Microsoft Java VM is insecure because MS created it way back to try and
drive Sun out of Java. It is NOT a quality product. It's not because of
Java that viruses can spread through Java, it's because of the
insecurity of Microsoft Java VM.

I would also suggest switching from IE to something more secure like
Mozilla.

[View Quote]

carlbanks

Apr 16, 2004, 4:22pm
I use Sun Java and Mozilla Firefox and Thunderbird.

JavaScript != Java, this virus uses the scripting engine.

Although the has the name JS.something, the description
explains it more like a VBScript thing.

Outlook is the best platform for those malicious scripts,
changing Java doesn't help, the scripts still might gain
access to the MSOffice object model.

Getting rid of Outlook and switching any scripting off for
mail and news is the best protection.

[View Quote]

zeofatex

Apr 16, 2004, 5:56pm
I doubt half of the people here know what != means heh

Most of them probably haven't coded in C or Java before, and that's not used
in VB hehe

[View Quote]

rossyboy

Apr 17, 2004, 12:24am
[View Quote] What? I thought everyone did this anyway...

i thought the trojan horse thing was only part of a peom and not real? ya, i
think it was Odesey (or however the hell it's spelt) by Homer. oh well,
still the same :)

-SWE