question unknown address and exe (Community)

question unknown address and exe // Community

1  |

imagine

Feb 26, 2004, 5:55am
Hi :) Some one sent me a email. In the subject line it only said, You? and
in the text it only said explain! There was an exe attached to the email.

I don't recognize the senders address so I am posting to see if any one here
dose recognize it. If you know who's address this is please email to let me
know :) Here is the senders address 7 at laxhhmbx1.hq.ad.hilton.com

BTW I send a reply and it came back undeliverable for unknown address.

Needless to say, I haven't tried to open the exe cause I don't truse it :)

Thanks

Imagine

lioness.

Feb 26, 2004, 6:44am
I got something like that about 3 weeks ago too but from a
3DTom at activeworlds.com with an attachment and the following in the body of
the email:

> The message contains Unicode characters and has been sent as a binary
attachment.

Dunno what was in the attachment cus I dont' open those unless I feel its
safe and if a friend of mine warns me ahead of time to expect it. I replied
back and tried to explain that since I don't know who it is, that I won't
open it. But got the mailerdaemon instead. Saved the message from
mailerdaemon just in case but figured it was some immature jerk playing
games with me. ;-"D

[View Quote]

ciena

Feb 26, 2004, 7:03am
It's human nature to be really curious to know whats in an email. You sit
there and ponder "hmmmm should I or shouldn't I?" lol. Then you think "hmm
my scanner would probably catch it if it has a virus" (but it doesnt always)
I used to do all that. Curiosity kills me. LOL. But then I think "what do i
care what it is? It's just not worth the chance you take in opening it" Now
when i see something i dont know about in my email i simply delete it
without giving it a second thought. Then forget about it. So just develope
the habit of delete and forget. Works for me :)
[View Quote]

andras

Feb 26, 2004, 8:19am
[View Quote] > I got something like that about 3 weeks ago too but from a
> 3DTom at activeworlds.com with an attachment and the following in the body of
> the email:
>
> attachment.
>

> Dunno what was in the attachment cus I dont' open those unless I feel its
> safe and if a friend of mine warns me ahead of time to expect it. I replied
> back and tried to explain that since I don't know who it is, that I won't
> open it. But got the mailerdaemon instead. Saved the message from
> mailerdaemon just in case but figured it was some immature jerk playing
> games with me. ;-"D

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.mydoom.a at mm.html?Open

Never NEVER NEVER EVER open any attachment if you don't know the source!!!!
--
Andras
"It's MY computer" (tm Steve Gibson)

weizer

Feb 26, 2004, 11:20am
I also got something like that with a zip attached to it coming from
3 at andras.net if I remember well... I didn't take the chance to open it.

-Weizer
"lioness." <nobody at nowhere.net> a écrit dans le message de news:
403db1dd$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> I got something like that about 3 weeks ago too but from a
> 3DTom at activeworlds.com with an attachment and the following in the body of
> the email:
>
> attachment.
>

> Dunno what was in the attachment cus I dont' open those unless I feel its
> safe and if a friend of mine warns me ahead of time to expect it. I
replied
> back and tried to explain that since I don't know who it is, that I won't
> open it. But got the mailerdaemon instead. Saved the message from
> mailerdaemon just in case but figured it was some immature jerk playing
> games with me. ;-"D

[View Quote]

xelag

Feb 26, 2004, 1:55pm
[View Quote] >Never NEVER NEVER EVER open any attachment if you don't know the source!!!!

And even if you know the source: sources are usually spoofed in viral
attacks. Only open attachments you are expecting (because they have
been announced) from a known source, after running an antivirus on the
attachment. Also, make sure the email makes sense to you before
opening attachments

There is quite a good article from US-CERT at
http://www.us-cert.gov/reading_room/HomeComputerSecurity/

Alex

kathryn delanuit

Feb 26, 2004, 2:18pm
That addy is like the gibberish addy's spammers are using now....they
stick alot of random characters into it and often into the subject.
Spammers have gotten more ruthless, they have started to send viruses in
an attempt to infect computers so that they can use other people's
computers to send spam from so that the spam will show as coming from
your computer and not theirs. What I do to avoid all that junk is have
different addy's. I have junk addy's and my real addy. I give the real
addy out only to family and friends and am very careful with it. If a
company or site asks for an addy I give fake info and fake addy unless
they need a confirmation email then I give them a junk addy. They can
spam the junk addy all they want, I never check the mail there or open
anything there. That's worked really well for me, I never get any spam
at all in my real addy.

[View Quote] True, you should never run any programs unless you know the source...
preferably in ASM as well as the sender :)

- MR

[View Quote] [View Quote] Why would you want the source in ASM?... if we agree that it may be a
virus that would take weeks to find a threat. (if it's a big file...
assuming it's not JUST the virus). High level languages were invented
for a reason. I would much rather read COBOL/FORTRAN/C++/VB/DELPHI over
ASM any day of the year, let alone week.

Something tells me you just want to impress someone with your knowledge
you know ASM... or something... I don't know.

binarybud

Feb 26, 2004, 4:30pm
LOL sheeesh, Bowen, even I....the "old man" caught that pun......lol
(Notice the smiley after "as well as the sender") hehehe :)

Leo :)

[View Quote] > LOL sheeesh, Bowen, even I....the "old man" caught that pun......lol
> (Notice the smiley after "as well as the sender") hehehe :)

I didn't catch anything. But that may be due to my desensitivisation of
smilies because everyone I know is crazy with them.

binarybud

Feb 26, 2004, 4:52pm
right gotcha :)

[View Quote]

lioness.

Feb 26, 2004, 4:55pm
yesssssssss... and that's why I DIDN'T open it hon. LOL ;-")

BB was right, it WAS a joke... but considering you brought it up... ASM is
better than nothing, especially so you can see the calls / what libs its
linked to (Winsock libs especially) etc

- MR

[View Quote]

princess nerwen

Feb 26, 2004, 4:59pm
To anyone who has gotten the one or two word e-mails that you have no
idea who it is. The attatvched file is a coded file and is the Mydoom
Virus. Be aware the writers are starting to see coding in the Anti
Virus programs and virus.dat information. I suggest you update your Anti
Virus daily if need be. This has spread intensely, and yes I know
because I have had the same e-mail, from who??? Black Ice sees inside it
and it warns me about it. Be aware and take heed to those who said do
not open the attached file.

[View Quote]
---

imagine

Feb 26, 2004, 5:08pm
Thanks every one :)

I have already deleted the email. I dont' open anything I dont' expect or
recognize.

Imagine

[View Quote] > BB was right, it WAS a joke... but considering you brought it up... ASM is
> better than nothing, especially so you can see the calls / what libs its
> linked to (Winsock libs especially) etc

I prefer binary... if you're going to go wacky might as well go all out.

ryan

Feb 26, 2004, 8:27pm
As a general rule, I don't open any attachments I didn't ask for. I
haven't been infected with a virus yet though my anti-virus has busted
quite a few viruses that were in incoming emails.

Ryan