general.discussion? (Community)

general.discussion? // Community

1  2  |

mauz

Dec 22, 2003, 3:27pm
Umm, general.discussion just poofed on me... Oh well, good riddance.

--
Mauz
http://mauz.info

mongo

Dec 22, 2003, 3:31pm
Just poofed here also. The flamefest in there over the weekend musta been a
bit too much for AW.

[View Quote]

maki

Dec 22, 2003, 4:08pm
[View Quote] Yes, good idea. Rid of it altogether. Maybe community will be next.

Maki

carlbanks

Dec 22, 2003, 4:47pm
One less NG to look at it.

[View Quote]

tart sugar

Dec 22, 2003, 5:17pm
[View Quote] *looks around for another likely target to vent my anger on, spies
NaughtyRedHead*

BWUAHAHAHAAA!!!!! *yanks Naughty's hair and gimps away as fast as my walker
will roll*
neener neener boo boo
*grabs her cat on the way out and leaves a ransom note*

If YoU EveR waNt to SeE the CaT aGaiN, BuY me A cit aNd a WorLD in aW
I'll bE in toUch. <eg>

lioness.

Dec 22, 2003, 7:03pm
Yeah mine too. Sorry to see it go but I can understand why. ;-"<

[View Quote]

asb

Dec 22, 2003, 7:11pm
lioness hi sweetie! its me ASB

It still shows up in the subscribe list for me,
maybe it's just closed for some cleaning. Too
much crap has been posted by this password thief
lately.

[View Quote]

asb

Dec 22, 2003, 7:46pm
hopefully they'll get it back on there soon
[View Quote]

lioness.

Dec 22, 2003, 7:51pm
;-"D

[View Quote]

tart sugar

Dec 22, 2003, 9:02pm
Interesting, Ananas. I can't find it on the *subscribe* list. I also went to
the AW homepage and tried to re-download it from there, and was *told* it
"was not available on the news server".

hm - I can press "refresh" and it still shows.

Might be a bug in Mozilla or OE decides to hide
non-public groups.

I wonder what would happen if I unsubscribed and
then would try to refresh the list ...

[View Quote]

orb

Dec 22, 2003, 10:11pm
E N Z O deleted it is all.

andras

Dec 22, 2003, 10:28pm
[View Quote] > hm - I can press "refresh" and it still shows.

> Might be a bug in Mozilla or OE decides to hide
> non-public groups.
>
> I wonder what would happen if I unsubscribed and
> then would try to refresh the list ...

Until you have it subscribed it will stay on the list (in Mozilla)

--
Andras
"It's MY computer" (tm Steve Gibson)

sw comit

Dec 22, 2003, 10:41pm
I'm betting it'll be back. Maybe they're adjusting it or something O_o

but ummmm...

*shameless plug of doom*
Come to the SR forums then for your general discussion needs. It's just as
active as AW's. 15k+ posts ^_^

http://www.swcity.net/yabbse/index.php?board=5

naughtyredhead

Dec 22, 2003, 11:23pm
pppffftt one less cat to feed... oh and she loves her ears rubbed >:/

[View Quote]

ep0ch

Dec 23, 2003, 2:20am
Or maybe it was the email I sent to them. I think they took it a little too
seriously o_O

-Ep0ch

[View Quote]

baron

Dec 23, 2003, 5:00am
In article <3fe7657f$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com>, ananas at oct31.de says...
> It still shows up in the subscribe list for me,
> maybe it's just closed for some cleaning. Too
> much crap has been posted by this password thief
> lately.

200 news DNEWS Version 5.5h2, S0, posting OK
list
215 list of newsgroups follows
worldbuilders 115845 113712 y
wishlist 59577 57609 y
sdk 30942 30187 y
bots 28027 27252 y
community 131253 124469 y
..
group general.discussion
411 group did exist but has been deleted

I still find it impressive (even after the spring cleanup and "explanations" posted back
then) how the NG admins are so willing to delete all information when it gets polluted by
a punk. Deleting single posts/threads and revoking post rights should work even if it
means some administrative overhead or even getting a real news server to replace the
current junk (e.g. INN, Twister). Anyway, got to admit, the NG in question had a way too
low signal to noise ratio but that's why it was created in the first place, to get most
of the junk out of community NG.

../B

"ananas" <ananas at oct31.de> wrote in
news:3fe7820e$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> hm - I can press "refresh" and it still shows.
>
> Might be a bug in Mozilla or OE decides to hide
> non-public groups.
>
> I wonder what would happen if I unsubscribed and
> then would try to refresh the list ...

Tried doing a complete list redownload in my client, still shows up. The
error message says "411 group did exist but has been deleted". Maybe a
weird server feature?

I unsubscribed and it's gone from the newsreader
subscribe list now (using Mozilla 5.0 - 1.3.1).
So it was like Andras said, a Mozilla bug.

[View Quote]

e n z o

Dec 23, 2003, 2:30pm
I turned it off yesterday. Recently we have been getting a lot of
complaints about general.discussion. It has never been a moderated group or
even had charter and yet people have been emailing, telegramming and phoning
to get posts removed. Unfortunately we don't have the time to go through it
:(

Sorry,

carlbanks

Dec 23, 2003, 3:50pm
Now just get rid of this group and we'll be fine, LOL!! Thanks for
removing it because it was bad.

[View Quote]

tart sugar

Dec 23, 2003, 4:14pm
*drops cat back on Naughty's front porch, rings doorbell and gimps away,
grumbling*
Goll dern cat dang near ate me outta house and home, and who has time to be
rubbing ears???
sheeeesh >: /

[View Quote]

bowen ten.sardna@newob

Dec 23, 2003, 4:19pm
[View Quote] There's no point in removing a newsgroup -- it'll just move to another
one now.

http://bowen.homelinux.com
Give me ideajuice.

carlbanks

Dec 23, 2003, 4:35pm
It's already moved here.

[View Quote]

lioness.

Dec 23, 2003, 4:41pm
spray paints yer hair neon pink. 0_0

[View Quote]

truetome2

Dec 23, 2003, 7:12pm
Hey now where will I hear all the latest crying about how nobody knows what
they are doing? Arrrrhhhggg Awww Happy Holidays everyone!!! :o)

True
[View Quote]

andras

Dec 23, 2003, 10:51pm
[View Quote] > I unsubscribed and it's gone from the newsreader
> subscribe list now (using Mozilla 5.0 - 1.3.1).
> So it was like Andras said, a Mozilla bug.

I wouldn't call it a bug - you still ahve a bunch of posts from that group, so Mozilla tries to keep it alive for you :)
OTOH - the group indeed marked for deletion .

--
Andras
"It's MY computer" (tm Steve Gibson)

lioness.

Dec 23, 2003, 10:58pm
Whenever I get that craving I teleport to the gate area. There's usually
some idiot who comes in ranting and raving about the way things are run,
usually after getting ejected. for foul language. hehehe. And usually its
somebody who doesn't spend much time there anyway. ;-"D

[View Quote]

the lady

Dec 24, 2003, 2:27am
I understand why it was taken away but hopefully we are still able to post
off topic threads - such as pizza news or jokes. That was the nice thing
about general discussion.