Citizen Ship hacked (Community)

Citizen Ship hacked // Community

1  2  3  |

calhoun

Jul 22, 2003, 1:24pm
my citizen ship has been hacked and I can't log in....
I need help!!

calhoun

Jul 22, 2003, 1:25pm
my password, ppw, and email address was changed! and that is why I can't get
on, help!!!!

rossyboy

Jul 22, 2003, 1:27pm
You need to email AW... I take it you got M a t t's trojan? He used your
PPW to log bots into "panic central" in AWTeen,,,

"calhoun" <coen at charter.net> wrote this (news:3f1d5745
at server1.Activeworlds.com) in community on 22 Jul 2003:

> my citizen ship has been hacked and I can't log in....
> I need help!!

calhoun

Jul 22, 2003, 1:27pm
he must be on my Citizen Ship now because I'm trying to get the suspect from
my telegram file and it says it is in use....
[View Quote]

calhoun

Jul 22, 2003, 1:28pm
I did contact AW but they've done nothing but if they dont soon I will....
[View Quote]

calhoun

Jul 22, 2003, 2:21pm
if anyone should have got hacked with this it should have been Jacob The
Hero (and I hope he gets it) since everyone on his contact list knows he
spells VERY VERY BAD so BAD its impossible to immitate him and he has no
friends to work on things with

Umm... so we should give trojans to people who can't spell? Doesn't that
sound a little over the top to you? If that was the case, I guess you
should be thankful they don't give trojans to people who can't use
grammar correctly either. ;P

[View Quote] --
Goober King
Grammar Hacker
awnews at awnews.org

calhoun

Jul 22, 2003, 2:35pm
my point was everyone would know it wasnt him
[View Quote]

calhoun

Jul 22, 2003, 2:39pm
what if their homepages are now set to that too? don't check their homepages
[View Quote]

john

Jul 22, 2003, 2:50pm
If ur cit was hacked, how r u still posting?

~John

U tried matts awtoolkit? LOL!!!!

[View Quote]

calhoun

Jul 22, 2003, 2:53pm
I don't need a password here?

and I didn't know it was Matt's awtoolkit I thought it was something One
Summer made
[View Quote]

john

Jul 22, 2003, 3:18pm
You should, I always have.

~John

[View Quote]

builderz

Jul 22, 2003, 3:21pm
Are you trying to look at your telegram files with the AW browser still
open? That may give you a "already open" or "already in use" error.

Builderz
http://www.3dhost.net

[View Quote]

builderz

Jul 22, 2003, 3:23pm
I'm not sure, but I think the AW newsgroup server doesn't update
password changes immediately, so Calhoun can still use his old password
for the time being to post.

Builderz
http://www.3dhost.net

[View Quote]

shia

Jul 22, 2003, 3:42pm
What amazes me is AW's total lack of response to this situation. Nothing in
the news groups or at the gate...they won't even answer my emails to
support! And I paid for this?????

[View Quote]

builderz

Jul 22, 2003, 3:57pm
Look at it this way:

1. AWI is a small company with probably less than a dozen full-time
staffers.
2. This AW "Toolkit"/Trojan horse thing just started last night (ET), as
far as I know.
3. AWI probably has gotten dozens of e-mails from people just like you
who clicked/downloaded the malicious file. It takes time to reply to
everyone and get their account issues resolved.
4. If you want a fast answer, go call the AWI offices at (978) 499-0222.
5. I don't believe in this personally, but others have said it in the
past: "If you are stupid enough to click on a link like that, then you
deserve what you get."

Builderz
http://www.3dhost.net

[View Quote] He did get it.

No of SETI units returned: 41
Processing time: 31 days, 9 hours.
(Total hours: 753)
www.setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu

shia

Jul 22, 2003, 4:03pm
I still would think some kind of general announcement would be in order to
ease those who are victims. Then at least we would know they are aware and
care about the problem. A posting, a message on the web, a sign at the
gate...Something....

[View Quote]

john

Jul 22, 2003, 4:10pm
A notice in the welcome would be a good idea (to aw univ).

~John

[View Quote]

ciena

Jul 22, 2003, 5:00pm
mmigration Officer: Welcome to the AW Universe! Reminder: Sharing Priv
Passwords, changing your citizenship email address to someone else's or
clicking on .EXE URL links may compromise the security of your citizenship.
AW does have the warning out there. All u gotta do is read it and heed it.
[View Quote]

stecloud

Jul 22, 2003, 5:27pm
Perhaps a URL pointing to how to remove the trojan - and the steps to
recover your citizenship. I know when my old cit was stolen - I couldn't
retrieve it because I didn't have the credit card details anymore, but
perhaps this will be different because of the way this one was stolen.
That's AWI's prerogative.

[View Quote]

maki

Jul 22, 2003, 5:41pm
all aboard calhoun's Citizen Ship!

maki
[View Quote]

themask

Jul 22, 2003, 5:57pm
It actually started around 9AM, and I recieved them at that time, and the
fun began around 3PM.

calhoun

Jul 22, 2003, 7:12pm
I got hit around 7 PM (CT)
[View Quote]

calhoun

Jul 22, 2003, 7:13pm
oh well
[View Quote]

e n z o

Jul 22, 2003, 7:14pm
Lack of response?

What exactly would you have us say?

Here is the current AWUni message which has remained basically unchanged for
content for 3 weeks:

"Welcome to the AW Universe! Reminder: Sharing Priv Passwords, changing your
citizenship email address to someone else's or clicking on .EXE URL links
may compromise the security of your citizenship."

These kids are not hacking or cracking anything unless you count the wetware
of the naive an OS. They are getting unwitting individuals to download
their trojan. The people who launch exe's without scanning them are going
against the first rule of computer security. What can we add that would
increase peoples wisdom aside from repeating the Uni message again and
again?

Amazed???

Also, I do not have any record of email sent by cabaround at cox.net to
support at activeworlds.com . Please resend if you feel we have missed it.

Thank you

e n z o

Jul 22, 2003, 7:15pm
And they deleted his world content. Smart of Jacob to maintain backups :)

calhoun

Jul 22, 2003, 7:17pm
the world Jacob was deleted?
[View Quote]

builderz

Jul 22, 2003, 7:18pm
Yes, you should always have world backups. It isn't hard to make the
admin tool to make a backup automatically once or twice a day. Also, you
should do manual backups at least once a week (depending how often you
build or make changes to your world, you could backup more or less).

Builderz
http://www.3dhost.net

[View Quote]

calhoun

Jul 22, 2003, 7:25pm
Account Disabled

now that I got rid of the Trojan Horse I get the message "Sorry, this
Account has been disabled."

1  2  3  |