e-mail virus going around (Community)

e-mail virus going around // Community

1  |

truetome2

Mar 29, 2003, 6:18pm
Please check your computers and forward this on to your contacts.
Good luck,
TrueToMe2

Subject: virus

A virus has been passed on to me by a contact.

Since you are in my address book, there is a good chance you will find it in
your computer too. The virus (called jdbgmgr.exe) is not detected by Norton
or McAfee antivirus systems. The virus sits quietly for 14 days before
damaging
the system. It is sent automatically by messenger and by the address book,
whether or not you sent e-mail to your contacts.

Here's how to check for the virus and how to get rid of it:

YOU MUST DO THIS.

1. Go to start, Find or search option.

2. In the file folder option, type the name jdbgmgr.exe

3. Be sure you search your C:drive and all sub-folders and any other drives
you may have.

4. Click "find now"

5. The Virus has a Teddy Bear icon with the name jdbgmgr.exe DO NOT OPEN IT
! ! ! !

6. Go to Edit (on the menu bar) and choose "select all" to highlight the
file without opening it.

7. Now go to File (on the menu bar) and select delete. It will then go to
the Recycle Bin.

8. IF YOU FIND THE VIRUS YOU MUST CONTACT ALL THE PEOPLE IN YOUR ADDRESS
BOOK,
SO THEY CAN ERADICATE IT IN THEIR OWN ADDRESS BOOKS.

To Do This:

a) Open a new e-mail message

b) Click the icon of the address book next to the "TO"

c) Highlight every name and add to "BCC"

d) Copy this message and enter subject paste to e-mail

Deb Wellborn

the lady

Mar 29, 2003, 6:32pm
Please read this before you delete anything on your machine:

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/jdbgmgr.exe.file.hoax.html

[View Quote]

truetome2

Mar 29, 2003, 6:38pm
Thank you Lady seems the e-mails are rolling in now...hehe some people have
nothing better to do than sit around and think up this stuff...Your right
"IT'S A HOAX

So sorry for the alarm
True
[View Quote]

brock

Mar 29, 2003, 6:55pm
Yes this is one of the oldest hoaxes in the book, i cannot count the
computer's i've had to repair because of this hoax.

--
Brock - 308723
AW 3.4 Build: 470
Brock at my.activeworlds.com

From Newbie Guide to the Newsgroup (4th Edition):

"Brock - This dude with a 'tude isn't afraid to speak his mind,
especially when it concerns others in his own age range.
In other words, the perfect NG candidate."
-------------------

It's a hoax, folks.

Try searching for virus hoaxes on google and this is one of them. Do NOT
delete any files.

Chris

Poor lil Java Debug...

"truetome2" <TrueToMe2 at my.activeworlds.com> wrote in
news:3e85ff96$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> Please check your computers and forward this on to your contacts.

> Since you are in my address book, there is a good chance you will find
> it in your computer too. The virus (called jdbgmgr.exe) is not
> detected by Norton or McAfee antivirus systems. The virus sits quietly

This gives it all away. When they insist it's not detected by AV software,
it's a sure sign of a hoax.

> 5. The Virus has a Teddy Bear icon with the name jdbgmgr.exe DO NOT
> OPEN IT ! ! ! !

Too bad this is a windows system file that you'll want to keep around... In
case you followed the instructions yourself, recover it from your windows
CD using the extract tool.

KAH

jerme

Mar 30, 2003, 5:37pm
Had to repair computers? It's the Java Debug Manager... Unless you happen to
be a Java programmer, deleteing this file won't really harm you system. But,
it is a hoax....

--
Jeremy Booker - Owner / Webmaster