Problems starting aw (Community)

Problems starting aw // Community

1  |

agent fox mulder

Jan 24, 2003, 11:41pm
I do not know why,but everytime i start aw,the start up screen shows up,and
it says"checking internet connection
",or whatever,then it just stays like that and when i put my mouse over
it,the hour glass appears...Then if i open something else up and close
that,then the aw startup is on my desktop,but all gray,with no pictures,and
i go to Ctrl+alt+delete,and end aworld(or whatever),then my comp freezes
completely..Anyone know a way to fix this?I am on windows 98se,Cable
internet,and aw always worked before.....

stecloud

Jan 25, 2003, 11:01am
I can only suggest pressing Skip on the statup screen and messing about with
the internet configurations.

strike rapier

Jan 25, 2003, 11:37am
The checking internet connection is the check to detect local host IP and
such and ensure that your connected to the internet, it may also include
various other forms of checks.

The timeout is roughly 30 seconds give or take as long as you dont have a
firewall, in which case it may hang because your firewall proxies it so it
detects a connection, but there isnt 1 there so it just waits for the AW
server to send back the 8 bytes 'o data for encryption and such unrelated
nicities... Win98 is really quite old to be running Active Worlds 3.3
though, check your internet connection, and the proxy settings in aworld.ini
and that may give you some clues.

johnny b jbitt2atjuno.com

Jan 25, 2003, 1:13pm
Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling AW yet ? sometimes it can get
funked up after installing other programs, or even for no apparent reason
and a fresh reinstall will fix things ..... just save your telegram.dat,
telegram.idx and teleport.txt files, so you can replace them after you
reinstall, or else lose all your teleports and grams.....

Good Luck
JB

> I do not know why,but everytime i start aw,the start up screen shows
up,and
> it says"checking internet connection
> ",or whatever,then it just stays like that and when i put my mouse over
> it,the hour glass appears...Then if i open something else up and close
> that,then the aw startup is on my desktop,but all gray,with no
pictures,and
> i go to Ctrl+alt+delete,and end aworld(or whatever),then my comp freezes
> completely..Anyone know a way to fix this?I am on windows 98se,Cable
> internet,and aw always worked before.....

agent fox mulder

Jan 25, 2003, 8:25pm
....I forgot to mention,im on 3.4....What files will i need to back up before
i reinstall it?

[View Quote]

johnny b jbitt2atjuno.com

Jan 25, 2003, 9:14pm
Save the same files I said before, so you dont lose your grams and teleports for 3.4...... then uninstall and reinstall
Sometimes does the trick.

BUT

If you're on the Beta list, then you need to talk to Young Shamus or someone else about this...... or just email them and ask for
3.3 back..... this sounds like something bug related maybe..... they should know.
Being a beta tester doesn't mean you have cool new software b4 everyone else..... it means having a pain in the ass for months,
while helping work out the bugs. thats the idea behind being a Beta "tester"

Good luck

JB

[View Quote]

agent fox mulder

Jan 25, 2003, 9:37pm
errr..I don't want 3.3.........Thats why im beta testing...Cause obviously
i've already found MANY errors..
[View Quote]

agent fox mulder

Jan 25, 2003, 9:42pm