World Server.... or not? (Community)

World Server.... or not? // Community

1  |

x.neocube.x

Jan 12, 2003, 11:51pm
I am trying to run a world for someone on my PC. I downloaded the
AWServer 3.3 and typed in the correct information and it says it is
running with no errors. OK GOOD! Now I go into the worlds list and find
the world. Red=Private however I have caretaker rights so I attempt to
enter it. I clicked on it and it changed screens to a blank world...now
here is the problem. No Immagration Officer message and best of all no
error. EXAMPLE - this world is closed OR world is not running. Just
NOTHING. Any help would be greatly appriciated. Thanks again.

x.n.x

carlbanks

Jan 12, 2003, 11:57pm
Try editing world features.

[View Quote]

x.neocube.x

Jan 13, 2003, 12:08am
[View Quote] Not working... acctually everything is also greyed out.

joeman

Jan 13, 2003, 12:31am
You need to configure your router.

-Joeman

[View Quote]

x.neocube.x

Jan 13, 2003, 12:35am
[View Quote] But thanks for attempting to help this lost soul.

x.n.x

lady barbara

Jan 13, 2003, 12:38am
When I first tried to put my world, Amberlin, on my own computer, I wasn't
able to get in, like you. Belfelast came to my rescue. For some reason the
only way I could keep it open and let myself get in there (others could get
in, I think) was to have it hosted by someone else. Good luck!

Lady Barbara of Amberlin

[View Quote]

x.neocube.x

Jan 13, 2003, 12:39am
[View Quote]
See the only problem with that is I have absolutly no one to host it for
me. I acctually wanted to just host it on my computer... when I am
online I turn on the world. That is how I have done it in the past and
that is my ideal working way to do it. Thanks for the info though. There
was to be a way to do it. Even if I can somehow put it on my FTP if that
is possible.

x.n.x

ananas

Jan 13, 2003, 6:10am
Have you checked the Logfile that the world server writes?
The linux world server gives no error messages on the screen,
everything is written to the log file. I guess the windows
version works the same.

If you have been in the world, it must have noticed this and
must have written the information into the log file.

Can you connect the world server with the admin tool? It should
show the world running too, filling the INI file isn't enough.

If you couldn't connect with the admin tool, check the world
server logfile again if it reports an error or just didn't see
the connect attempt at all.

[View Quote]

x.neocube.x

Jan 13, 2003, 1:48pm
[View Quote] Yes I did check the log file as I said... I connect through the world
server program I also did through admin... it says "running" and no
errors, as well as the logfile shows nothing elcept the sucessful start
of the world including heartbeats. Everything is good EXCEpt I cannot
enter the world and neither can the other caretaker.

x.n.x

You should be able to make an atdump, make a backup copy of
atdump.txt, then modify those lines :

6 *
7 *
8 *
26 *
36 *
38 *

(have I forgotten one ?) and then atload the file.

This should allow anything to anyone so you should at least
be able to enter and maybe find out what's wrong. I am not
sure if that helps in any way - but it's at least a try.

[View Quote]

jerme

Jan 13, 2003, 9:41pm
This is a common problem, something I tend to forget to do when adding a
world.

You need to reset your world. You can do this by installing the AW admin
tool, or there may be an option for it within the Windows version of the AW
server.

A freshly added world needs to be reset first... then you will have a ground
with a seed object and all the default world settings. You can then load any
propdumps/atdumps you need.

When adding a new world to a server, it will always be blank until you reset
(or maybe the better word would be "initalize") it.

Regards,
Jeremy

--

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jeremy Booker - Owner

x.neocube.x

Jan 14, 2003, 2:09am
I did what you toldme to do. The world turned green when I ran it
however when I try to go into it the same thing happens... no error
message, no Immagration Offer message....NOTHING. STILL NOTHING! Thanks
for the tip however it did not work.. any other suggestions? I really
need some. Thanks again.

x.n.x

[View Quote]

andras

Jan 14, 2003, 5:24am
[View Quote] How many computers share your DialUp connection?
What OS are you running?
Do you have firewall installed?
Did the other caretaker try to connect from the same computer or from the outside world?

Those questions maybe relevant.

If you have no solutions, I'll host your world free of charge.

--
Andras
"It's MY computer" (tm Steve Gibson)

x.neocube.x

Jan 14, 2003, 12:02pm
Ok here are the answers to the questions you asked:

How many computers share your DialUp connection? 1

What OS are you running? Windows XP

Do you have firewall installed? Yes but I disable it when I try to
operate the world.

Did the other caretaker try to connect from the same computer or from
the outside world? no they are not trying to connect themselves.

I am not too sure what is wrong. I am usually good with this kind of
thing however there has to be something that I am missing. When the
solution comes we will find out what is wrong with it and it will most
likely be something very simple. Question for you? Why would you host
the world at no charge? Is this not a problem for you?

Thank you for posting and attempting to help. Any suggestions are
appriciated. If anyone else has any suggestions please let me know.
Thank you again.

x.n.x

[View Quote]

mauz

Jan 14, 2003, 1:59pm
[View Quote] What kind of firewall, program or box? Is it really completely disabled (how)?
Windows XP also has its own firewall, in Advanced tab of the network connection.
Does your Internet Service Provider allow running servers, so hasn't blocked
any ports on their side? Do you need to define proxy server in IE?
Have you been able to run world server before, or is this your first try?
Have you tried installing server to another folder?

--
Mauz
http://mauz.info

x.neocube.x

Jan 14, 2003, 2:11pm
WOW Mauz LOL if I could only... LOL

Zonealarm... I disabled... "exited" the program before continuing.
Nothing for the better. No's to almost all of your questions... Yes I
have before with the DOS program and yes I tryed installing to another
directory... still nothing.

x.n.x

[View Quote]

x.neocube.x

That was one of the first things I have done.... thanks.

x.n.x

anarkissed

Jan 18, 2003, 6:46pm
Zone Alarm has this thing it does. When you exit it, it doesn't really go
away. Even when you uninstall it, there is an engine still running which
can block any or all of your internet connections without giving you a CLUE!
I couldn't find the link so I am pasting all the info I saved from my own
battle with Zone Alarm for you so you can do a search and see if maybe zone
alarm is responsible.
Another free firewall, if you choose to switch, is outpost at
www.agnitum.com
At least when it's off or uninstalled it's really off!
Andras would host your world free because it's not much trouble to add a
world to a server and for tiny personal worlds it's nothing for bandwidth,
and because he's a really nice guy who's been around helping people forever,
giving away free software he makes to solve AW problems and being available
for all kinds of tech help, all for the pure hobby of it.
It's the object path that really sucks the bandwidth and hogs the
drivespace.

zonealarm remove
Under Windows NT/2000, these two registry keys, and all their subkeys,
denote the TrueVector service and the TrueVector device driver:

Key: HKEY LOCAL MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\vsmon

Key: HKEY LOCAL MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\vsdatant

Under Windows NT/2000, this registry key and its subkeys denote
ZoneAlarm's alert logging service:

Key: HKEY LOCAL MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\minilog

This is a database that contains a long list of values, but only these
values are related to ZoneAlarm and TrueVector:
Key:
HKEY LOCAL MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDLLs
Values:
C:\Windows\System\vsdata.dll
C:\Windows\System\vsdata95.vxd (if you are running WindowsNT or 2000,
look for vsdatant.sys)
C:\Windows\System\vsmonapi.dll
C:\Windows\System\vsnetutils.dll
C:\Windows\System\vsnetu.dll
C:\Windows\System\vspubapi.dll
C:\Windows\System\vsutil.dll
C:\Windows\System\Zone Labs\html.tdr
C:\Windows\System\Zone Labs\vsdb.dll
C:\Windows\System\Zone Labs\minilog.exe
C:\Windows\System\Zone Labs\vsmon.exe
C:\Windows\System\Zone Labs\vsruledb.dll

For each user who has run ZoneAlarm, there are registry keys in
Key: HKEY CURRENT USER\Software\Zone Labs

The following keys allow the user to modify the sound that is played
when there is an alert through use of the Control Panel Sounds applet:
Key: HKEY CURRENT USER\AppEvents\EventLabels\InternetAlert
Key:
HKEY CURRENT USER\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps\.Default\InternetAlert\.current

You can uninstall the program manually by removing the following files
and registry entries.
Files installed with ZoneAlarm:
Installing ZoneAlarm places program files in three places:

The c:\ZoneLabs\ZoneAlarm folder contains these files:
zonealarm.exe
zoneband.dll
license.txt
readme.txt
unwise.exe
install.log
\Help folder containing a number of files

The c:\windows\system folder contains these files:
vsutil.dll
vsmonapi.dll
vsdata.dll
vsdata95.vxd -- if computer runs Windows 95 or 98
vsdatant.sys -- if the computer runs Windows NT or Windows 2000

The c:\windows\system\zonelabs folder contains these files:
vsdb.dll
html.tdr
vsmon.exe
vsruledb.dll
Installing also creates a shortcut called "ZoneAlarm.lnk" in the
C:\Windows\Start Menu\All Users\Programs\StartUp
folder.

Files created by ZoneAlarm as it runs:

When running ZoneAlarm, the following files are created:

In the c:\windows\internet logs folder:
iamdb.rdb
<mycomputer>.ldb (where the <mycomputer> is your computer name)

Note: The uninstaller does not normally remove these files, so that your
settings are retained when you upgrade to a new version.

5.Registry Entries

Installing and running ZoneAlarm creates the following registry entries:

Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm and all its subkeys
and values.

For each user who has run ZoneAlarm, there are registry keys in
Key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm
Users who have run ZoneAlarm versions prior to 1.8.2 may find entries in:
Key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Zone Labs\Monitor

If your system is running Windows 95 or Windows 98, this registry value
starts the TrueVector service.
Key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
Value: TrueVector

Under Windows NT, these two registry keys, and all their subkeys, denote
the TrueVector service and the TrueVector device driver:

Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\vsmon

Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\vsdatant

Under all versions of Windows, these values are added to the Shared DLLs
database:

Key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDLLs
This is a database that contains a long list of values, but only these
values are related to ZoneAlarm and TrueVector:
c:\Windows\System\vsdata.dll
c:\Windows\System\vsdata95.vxd
c:\Windows\System\vsdata95.vxd
c:\Windows\System\vsmonapi.dll
c:\Windows\System\vsutil.dll
c:\Windows\System\ZoneLabs\html.tdr
c:\Windows\System\ZoneLabs\vsdb.dll
c:\Windows\System\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
c:\Windows\System\ZoneLabs\vsruledb.dll

[View Quote]

baron chazrad

Jan 18, 2003, 8:00pm
"anarkissed" <anarkissed at nospam.alt.2600.net> wrote in
news:3e29bd20$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

www.sygate.com is also very good