DirectX 9 (Community)

DirectX 9 // Community

1  |

kf

Dec 20, 2002, 3:36pm
Dx9.0 became publicly available today in its final version (consumer,
the sdk is not yet available). After testing it for some while, I do not
see any positive or negative effects compared to Dx8.1 using a GF4TI
card, both the DD7 and DD8 implementations work well.

It seems subjectively (?) to increase the performance of the old "Dx8"
mode in client version 419 with and without terrain, though.

As a first resumee, an upgrade is probably only needed when Dx8.1 had
problems - or in a few months, when the first Dx9 games will come out
who take advantage of some of the new internal features (namely shader
language, bigger pixel and vertex shaders, improved color calculation
for texture overlays, and some smaller changes and improvements, eg. in
DP, DM and DS).
The release identifies as 4.09.0000.0900 with a copyright date of 2003
(<g>).

zeo toxion

Dec 20, 2002, 3:55pm
Just checked the directx website and it says nothing about a public release of 9.0 just the old beta, just
wondering where you got this.

--
Zeo

[View Quote]

baron

Dec 20, 2002, 4:35pm
In article <3e0359aa$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com>, brandon at metrocast.net says...
> Just checked the directx website and it says nothing about a public release of 9.0 just the old beta, just
> wondering where you got this.
>
> --
> Zeo

[View Quote] --
Baron

zeo toxion

Dec 20, 2002, 5:49pm
NOW they update the main site. Thanks anyway.

--
Zeo

[View Quote]

chazrad

Dec 20, 2002, 6:02pm
tnx for the tip, it improved the working of my tv card with 100%, i even
can run now AW in the forground and the TV on top without any problems.
Under the 8 version the TVcard practically stopped working...

Chaz
"zeo toxion" <brandon at metrocast.net> wrote in
news:3e037432$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> NOW they update the main site. Thanks anyway.
>
> --
> Zeo

[View Quote]

baron

Dec 20, 2002, 7:02pm
In article <Xns92EAD0CB932Apetrossa at 64.94.241.201>, petrossadeletethis at msn.com says...
> tnx for the tip, it improved the working of my tv card with 100%, i even can run now AW in the forground and the TV on top without any problems. Under the 8 version the TVcard practically stopped working...
>
> Chaz

Is it a Pinnacle PCTVPro PCI by any chance? :) Exactly same thing happened to me, image was jerky, missing frames, lock-ups with newer VGA drivers; all seem to run smooth now. Didn't notice any change in AW but the TV issue alone was worth it.

--
Baron

kf

Dec 20, 2002, 9:15pm
thank you :)

[View Quote]

zeo toxion

Dec 20, 2002, 11:34pm
Hmm, so is there going to be a Directx 9 video mode?

--
Zeo

brant

Dec 21, 2002, 2:16am
I just installed DirectX 9 and noticed that AW seems to exhibit less
freezing when new objects come into view - a very annoying problem, in my
opinion, but something in DirectX 9 seems to help with that :)

[View Quote]

chazrad

Dec 21, 2002, 8:32am
"baron" <pk39srt at hotmail.com> wrote in
news:MPG.186daab71d05b1be989688 at news.activeworlds.com:

> In article <Xns92EAD0CB932Apetrossa at 64.94.241.201>,
> petrossadeletethis at msn.com says...
>
> Is it a Pinnacle PCTVPro PCI by any chance? :) Exactly same thing
> happened to me, image was jerky, missing frames, lock-ups with newer
> VGA drivers; all seem to run smooth now. Didn't notice any change in
> AW but the TV issue alone was worth it.

No it was a Hauppage Win TV, but EXACTLY the same problems as you. Well the
connection with Aw was, that they now can run both at the same time
smoothly. I have the (maybe subjective) feeling that AW renders faster,

chazrad

Dec 21, 2002, 10:40am
"brant" <awteen at shoemakervillage.org> wrote in news:3e03eb27$1
at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> I just installed DirectX 9 and noticed that AW seems to exhibit less
> freezing when new objects come into view - a very annoying problem, in my
> opinion, but something in DirectX 9 seems to help with that :)

[View Quote] mmmm, well one bad bug in version 9:

When running RealOne player video,(like cnn quickcast or something) and
running AW the screen completely gets messed up

"zeo toxion" <brandon at metrocast.net> wrote in news:3e03c527$1
at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> Hmm, so is there going to be a Directx 9 video mode?

Well, considering that the SDK supposedly isn't out yet, that would be
kinda hard. It would require an RW3 update from Criterion, and it took them
a while to give us DX8, so don't keep your breath.