Reporters & Commentators Needed (Community)

Reporters & Commentators Needed // Community

1  |

the game master

Nov 22, 2002, 12:44pm
The "G-A-M-E" radio station is looking for citizens interested in becoming
reporters and commentators for our weekly airings. The station will
broadcast a variety of AW related news, information, announcements, and
commentary.

You will be required to submit at least one article/commentary of interest
per week. You have the option of sending in txt or wav files. Obviously
wav files will be played on air. You may select any byline you wish to be
known as.

If you think you would be interested, send us a telegram. Send to The Game
Master, and one of our members will get it.

Please, if you are not really seriously interested, or do not think you can
make weekly deadlines, do not apply.

Also, do not send REplies to this or any other posting as we do not respond
through the newsgroups.

The Game

Lets see the last 4 posts from you, all advertising your world, attempting to lure people in with cash prizes etc. Ive had enough *e-mails Flagg*

Umm, genius, the community newsgroup is specifically for community
topics, and that includes advertising for AW events and organizations.
(if not, where the hell else are they supposed to advertise?) As other
people have suggested, if you don't like it, just filter the guy, end of
story!

Besides, it sounds to me like you haven't even bothered to investigate
whether The Game is the real deal or not, especially if you think he's
trying to "lure" people in with prizes. Is it really so hard to believe
that someone actually has *real* prizes for their events?!

Strike also has a problem following instructions...
gooberking at utn.cjb.net

Not really, however we have the point... AWEC dosent send post after post regarding events, I dont, AWTeen dosent... I think we all know about it, but enough is enough. The game this, the game that, im pritty sure that the Game needs to realise that the newsgroups are only the place to inform of large changes for things like events, constant posting about lil changes and events where he / she chooses the winner are not really the sort of thing the newsgroup should be filled with.

nornny11

Nov 22, 2002, 7:01pm
I disagree, what ELSE should they be filled with? Debates and flamewars?
Game Master posting every day or so with new events and changes might be
annoying, but it's a very good sign for people just joining the newsgroup
that there are events out there and things they have yet to discover. if
this newsgroup was FILLED with this stuff, and everyone advertised events
for the community every day, in large bulks, I don't think I'd complain.
It's what this newsgroup is here for. Community topics and community
advertising both have their place here. Discussions on other topics should
be in general.discussion. :)

From the Newbie's Guide to the AW NG:

"Nornny11 - The original wishy-washy man, this one can actually insult you
and compliment you in the same breath, and in the end say absolutely
nothing! What a talent!"

[View Quote]

anduin

Nov 22, 2002, 7:04pm
An identity claiming to be known as strike rapier scribed the following news:3dde83ab at server1.Activeworlds.com :

> Not really, however we have the point... AWEC dosent send post after post
> regarding events, I dont, AWTeen dosent... I think we all know about it, but
> enough is enough. The game this, the game that, im pritty sure that the Game
> needs to realise that the newsgroups are only the place to inform of large
> changes for things like events, constant posting about lil changes and events
> where he / she chooses the winner are not really the sort of thing the
> newsgroup should be filled with.

Mmmm, no, I'm not having any problems with his posts. This is the community newsgroup and he has every right to post here. Your e-mail program comes with a filtering option where you can filter anything that is posted by him; try that.

Now, if he were actually changing his username and e-mail every 2 days just to get an advertisement out, well, that's a different story isn't it?

--
Anduin (317281)
- The Gorean Scribe

Can I just consolidate my point in this quote.

"We have no interest in engaging in pointless chatter
with those who feel these newsgroups are an open forum for them to air their
anger and frustrations"

Such great Public relations eh? and these newsgroups are for people to air their arguments and frustrations as long as they are not offensive about them.

technozeus

Nov 22, 2002, 8:05pm
Yes, it's much better to post about upcomming events, help needed, and things like that, than to post statements of anger, disagreement, frustration, and anything else negative that comes to mind. Sure, constructive statements of disagreement are nice to have occasionally, and too much of anything can be bad, but this advertising that has been going on is as least not asking for money, promising hard core pornography, or repeating the same statement over and over.

TechnoZeus

[View Quote]

agent1 webmaster@shatteredplattersdotcom

Nov 22, 2002, 8:08pm
If you don't like them, filter their posts and stay out of their world. If someone is offended, it's not like they're forced to read the posts.

johnny b jbitt2atjuno.com

Nov 22, 2002, 8:40pm
Agreed...... He has every right to post such here and it's much better than the usual immature stupid garbage being posted about
grammer, spelling and friggin bandwidth...... I'm sickof that childish crap myself, as I'm sure are many in here.... at least this
is positive and constructive.

No one person makes up the 'rules' for here.... especially someone who's nothing more than a person with an opinion...... Unless AW
Inc. says he cant post this stuff here, get used to it and get over it already.....

I have absolutly zero against him posting her, I just dont think here is the place to make comments about winning actual material goods and money, hence playing a game to win money in AW is effectivly gambling, and dont forget kids read this newsgroup 2..

agent1 webmaster@shatteredplattersdotcom

Nov 22, 2002, 9:22pm
No; gambling involves risk of loss.

technozeus

Nov 22, 2002, 10:07pm
Actually, the legal definition of gambling varies from one area to another. I'm not sure what is considered gambling in an international forum. Anyway, if someone thinks laws are being broken they are free to notify the authorities, and no I don't mean someone at AW Inc. Personally, I can't see why anyone would want to hurt what very well may be a positive effort, and risk discouraging other people from trying to do something positive as well. If anyone sees a real risk of someone getting hurt, that's a diffrent story, but I doubt any of us will suffer greatly from someone asking for help or announcing that there's something going on they think we "might" be interested in.

TechnoZeus

Well what do you do on something like a P2P file transfer system and you get flash images up trying to get you to go somewhere to win money? I dare say most of us head off to cracks.am or whip out the nearest hex editor / adaware, all I would like to say is that if these games are so good, comments abuot material prizes should not be put in the newsgroup, but instead put up in the actual world. I dont think anyone is going to come by any harm by this, but the way the posts are made could be improved for absolutly zero effort on his part. Maybe im just annoyed because this is a community website and The Game is quite obviously a corprate idea?

technozeus

Nov 22, 2002, 10:18pm
I should clarify my statement, as I just realized that part of it could be easily taken in either of two totally different ways. I did not mean to say that by "anyone" I was not talking about people at AW Inc., because of course I was talking about them or anybody else. What I was trying to say is that when I said "the authorities" did not mean someone at AW Inc. but rather some legal official who's job it is to look into such matters. Also, I am in no way trying to imply that any laws "have been" broken in this case. I'm only stating that if someone "believes" a law has been broken, they are free to report the details of their concern for proper investigation.

TechnoZeus

[View Quote]

technozeus

Nov 22, 2002, 10:27pm
I agree that it could be improved, and I won't ask you not to state that you are annoyed. I also understand your concerns, and will not try to say that you are wrong to voice them. I'm also going to avoid turning this into a personal attack by making statements about how you or I or any of us could also improve, but I will say this: You've voiced your concern publicly, and you've been heard. Polite suggestions made directly to the person you have such suggestions for would probably do more good at this point than repeating yourself to those who have already listened.

TechnoZeus

[View Quote]

jstone2004

Nov 23, 2002, 12:05am
4 posts in a row is a bit much, isn't it? I don't have a problem with you
posting things, even multiple times, but 4 things in a row is a bit much,
perhaps you could post one post per week just updating everyone how how the
games are going, and any news and such?

technozeus

Nov 23, 2002, 12:13am
I could just see it: on Monday, announcement that something will be happening on Tuesday; on Tuesday, announcement that something else will be happening on Tuesday; on Wednesday, announcement that people will be needed to help out with the events that happened on Tuesday; on Thursday, announcement that due to a lack of help, the events that happened on Tuesday have been canceled and another event that requires less work will take their place, and is planned to be announced on Saturday to be held this past Tuesday. :)

TechnoZeus

[View Quote]

technozeus

Nov 23, 2002, 12:15am
oh wait... that's one post per day, not one per week. Well... this concept should prove interesting. Not necessarily productive, but definately interesting. :)

[View Quote]

orb

Nov 23, 2002, 12:43am
the power of the post

sighs

[View Quote]

technozeus

Nov 23, 2002, 2:20am
Was that a fence post, or the kind that delivers parcels? :)

TechnoZeus

I don't think a lot of people would have a big problem with it if it didn't
sound like spam. While I recognize he is operating on behalf of a company,
_please_ put some personality into it. :)

Chris

[View Quote]

brock

Nov 23, 2002, 11:41am
Once again I would like to suggest that The-Game gets it's own newsgroup,
host their own, ask andras for one, pay someone to host one, etc, etc.

--
Brock - 308723
AW 3.4 Build: 443
Brock at iceflare.net
[View Quote]

nornny11

Nov 23, 2002, 2:01pm
Meh, he's just having a good week. :) I'm looking at past posts and The Game
Master doesn't post all that much. :) He doesn't post everyday like some
would assume. Before the 18th, I don't think he posted for at least a few
days between the 18th and his last post (at least i don't recall).

I mean, all of us post in a daily fashion, he should be able to too. Just
because he's using his Post-In-The-Newsgroup-For-Free card to advertise an
event from his world or look for helpers is nothing that can't be ignored.
:)

If you look at other newsgroups, it's really a daily occurance that people
post updates to their sites, advertise events, and even write daily
newsletter posts. it's something this newsgroup doesn't have a lot of, but I
think its healthy and it should. SPAM can noticeably be identified in the
newsgroup for its flashy headers, and subjects that have NOTHING to do with
the newsgroup like "~~~Make money quick from home!!~~~"

Game Master's posts are nothing of that sort, I think. :) XelaG from time to
time posts updates to Xelagot very often, and he rarely gets flamed for such
an offense. Give Game Master and others the same respect. :)

--
From the Newbie's Guide to the AW NG:

"Nornny11 - The original wishy-washy man, this one can actually insult you
and compliment you in the same breath, and in the end say absolutely
nothing! What a talent!"

Because its the only efficent way to do it short of adding a public annoucement system to every Xelagot...also we accept XeLaG for the brilliant job he does,

johnny b jbitt2atjuno.com

Nov 23, 2002, 10:05pm
Frequenting crackz and warez sites and P2P file transfer programs,....... and telling ppl what's right and what's wrong in here...
sheesh :O) <rolls eyes and smiles at the irony>

[View Quote]

tony m

Nov 23, 2002, 11:06pm
[View Quote] >Because its the only efficent way to do it short of adding a public annoucement system to every Xelagot...also we accept XeLaG for the brilliant job he does,

XelaG and Game Master are the same exact situation; it's been said a lot of times: if you don't want to see his posts, use your filters or be silent.