Customs Aide Bot (Community)

Customs Aide Bot // Community

1  2  3  |

kellee

Nov 19, 2002, 3:41am
The Customs Aide bot in AWNewbie is bad for business and an insult to many,
and i suggest that its word list be broadened to exclude the slang words
that are not offensive to any one, save a judgemental moralist.

It is wrong to impose the morals of a select few from one country on others.
The Customs Aide bot ejects for words that are totally acceptable in other
cultures but the one that programmed it feels that everyone should adhere to
his/her's own narrow minded view.

If i was a tourist I would be VERY offended if i was ejected for such a
trivial offence as some for which it ejects, and never bother to pay for
citizenship in a narrow minded psuedomoralistic place.

As well as it is just plain wrong to inflict the views of some onto others
that do not share them. If a moralistic value is shared by the vast
majority, fair enough.

But when only a minority have the power to dictate morality to the many....
that is WRONG.

anduin

Nov 19, 2002, 4:22am
[View Quote] > The Customs Aide bot in AWNewbie is bad for business and an insult to many,
> and i suggest that its word list be broadened to exclude the slang words
> that are not offensive to any one, save a judgemental moralist.
>
> It is wrong to impose the morals of a select few from one country on others.
> The Customs Aide bot ejects for words that are totally acceptable in other
> cultures but the one that programmed it feels that everyone should adhere to
> his/her's own narrow minded view.
>
> If i was a tourist I would be VERY offended if i was ejected for such a
> trivial offence as some for which it ejects, and never bother to pay for
> citizenship in a narrow minded psuedomoralistic place.
>
> As well as it is just plain wrong to inflict the views of some onto others
> that do not share them. If a moralistic value is shared by the vast
> majority, fair enough.
>
> But when only a minority have the power to dictate morality to the many....
> that is WRONG.

I have to agree with you here. I've witnessed many users get ejected just for saying simple words as 'shit'. Now, the bot isn't able
to look at the context of what is being said (ie: oh shit, my build just got deleted!). Ok, so the word 'shit' isn't what you'd say
in a formal meeting and such, but it is said outside & in the general public. Especially here in Australia.

--
Anduin (317281)
- The Gorean Scribe - Ultimate Gorean Resource!

anduin

Nov 19, 2002, 4:27am
[View Quote] > I have to agree with you here. I've witnessed many users get ejected =
just for saying simple words as 'shit'. Now, the bot isn't able
> to look at the context of what is being said (ie: oh shit, my build =
just got deleted!). Ok, so the word 'shit' isn't what you'd say
> in a formal meeting and such, but it is said outside & in the general =
public. Especially here in Australia.

It figures, of course, that Outlook Express had to completely mess up my =
post, lmao. I wish to use Outlook so that I can do everything I need to =
do under 1 program instead of having to open up a Usenet reader and all. =
Sheesh <kicks Microsoft for being so stupid>.

--=20
Anduin (317281)
- The Gorean Scribe - Ultimate Gorean Resource!
- http://www.anduin-lothario.com

technozeus

Nov 19, 2002, 5:19am
Not sure where it is in your version, but on mine, Tools --> Options --> Send... News Sending Format... Plain Text Settings... you can tell it how many characters to word wrap at. I have mine set to 32767 characters, to avoid that problem. Of course, on some old style news readers it may look better with the text pre-wrapped, so you decide.

TechnoZeus

[View Quote] *snip*

It figures, of course, that Outlook Express had to completely mess up my post, lmao. I wish to use Outlook so that I can do everything I need to do under 1 program instead of having to open up a Usenet reader and all. Sheesh <kicks Microsoft for being so stupid>.

--
Anduin (317281)
- The Gorean Scribe - Ultimate Gorean Resource!
- http://www.anduin-lothario.com

anduin

Nov 19, 2002, 10:05am
An identity claiming to be known as "technozeus" <TechnoZeus at techie.com> scribed the following <3dd9e612$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com> in community:

>Not sure where it is in your version, but on mine, Tools --> Options --> Send... News Sending Format... Plain Text Settings... you can tell it how many characters to word wrap at. I have mine set to 32767 characters, to avoid that problem. Of course, on some old style news readers it may look better with the text pre-wrapped, so you decide.

Mine's Outlook Express 6.0 and it won't let me set further than 132 characters. Anyway, Forte Agent does it all for me so back to this; much better.

--
,,,,,
(o o)

baron

Nov 19, 2002, 4:24pm
Open regedit, set HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities\{GUID}\Software\Microsoft\Outlook Express\5.0\News\Message Plain Character Line Wrap to 7fff. If you need more instructions check out http://www.codebaron.net/oe.html to see how you can bypass this limitation.

-Baron

[View Quote] > Mine's Outlook Express 6.0 and it won't let me set further than 132 characters.

*Few* Lol, when I saw this I though "egh,world trackers gone on a rampage"

Well, typically speaking, there IS no majority morality. Why does morality
have to be brought into everything anyways? A simple request without
getting preachy does wonders. :) And usually you get a nice reply back,
too, explaining exactly why that word is banned or if it will be unbanned.

Chris

[View Quote]

anduin

Nov 19, 2002, 8:10pm
[View Quote] Alright, this should have fixed the issue I hope. And now I can use Outlook Express and not have to have 3 different programs open to do all this :o)

Thanks for the help Baron.

--
Anduin (317281)
- The Gorean Scribe

elyk

Nov 20, 2002, 12:33am
Perhaps if the bot gave a warning for each word like that that is
said....that way, you wouldnt get ejected, but you would also know to watch
your language in that world.
[View Quote]

ryan jacob

Nov 20, 2002, 12:36am
In my opinion, AWI does not define what a "cuss" word is. Cussing may mean
different things to different people, for example "hell" might be considered
a cuss word among southern US christians. Profanity doesn't explain it
either. The problem is AWI can't just spill out all these naughty words when
a visitor types "world rules" right? I think either a list of unapproved
words or a more definied policy is needed or the Customs Aide bot be removed
since it uses an unfair and vague list of rules.

Ryan Jacob

[View Quote] > I have to agree with you here. I've witnessed many users get ejected just
for saying simple words as 'shit'. Now, the bot isn't able
> to look at the context of what is being said (ie: oh shit, my build just
got deleted!). Ok, so the word 'shit' isn't what you'd say
> in a formal meeting and such, but it is said outside & in the general
public. Especially here in Australia.

It figures, of course, that Outlook Express had to completely mess up my
post, lmao. I wish to use Outlook so that I can do everything I need to do
under 1 program instead of having to open up a Usenet reader and all. Sheesh
<kicks Microsoft for being so stupid>.

--
Anduin (317281)
- The Gorean Scribe - Ultimate Gorean Resource!
- http://www.anduin-lothario.com

ryan jacob

Nov 20, 2002, 12:38am
I agree. Perhaps a printed warning message or whisper from the Customs Aide
before ejection. This is much more fair to visitors and will root out people
who just spill out profanity in an attempt to disrupt the world.

Ryan Jacob

[View Quote]

brant

Nov 20, 2002, 12:41am
I disagree.

This isn't an issue of morality, but an issue of being broad-minded about
others' views. Many people don't approve of the words you hinted at in your
post. True, some may believe that using them in public is acceptable, but
I'm not sure that you or anyone can say that a "majority" feels one way or
the other. In order to make this statement, a poll would have to be
conducted and the answers posted.

But more importantly, there are many children in these G and PG rated worlds
whose parents don't wish them to be exposed to such language. What good is
a new ratings system in 3.4 is AW doesn't enforce the ratings of its own
worlds?

There are no customs aide bots in worlds like WildAW that are rated for an
older crowd. We just got through a huge discussion about the Gor worlds in
the universe - why are we complaining about the Gor worlds when we can't
even agree on whether AW's worlds should be moderated?

[View Quote]

ryan jacob

Nov 20, 2002, 12:49am
I think a balance between American parents and foreign visitors needs to be
made...I think the Customs Aide bot is a little too tough on cussing and
does not even give a list of words that aren't allowed or any warnings.

Ryan Jacob

[View Quote]

dzap

Nov 20, 2002, 1:57am
"anduin" <anduin at anduin-lothario.com> skrev i meddelandet
news:3ddab6c6 at server1.Activeworlds.com
[View Quote] One program I can't live without is OE-QuoteFix
The program reformats old quotes and color them for easy reading. Links
are recognised and kept unbroken.

Jonas

baron

Nov 20, 2002, 4:14am
Btw that's supposed to be fixed by http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;Q331923, I can't confirm that though since my links don't break :)

[View Quote]

technozeus

Nov 20, 2002, 9:37am
Hehe.. Yeah, I think that's what I did. It's been so long ago, I had forgotten.

TZ

[View Quote]

technozeus

Nov 20, 2002, 9:44am
George Carlin put it quite well... they're only words.

There's nothing wrong with the words. It's how you use them that makes the difference. If someone is being rude, mean, nasty, or just plain inconsiderate of other people, they often tend to say things that make others feel uncomfortable. We try to teach children to avoid certain words because our experience with people using them has been generally less than pleasant, and we usually don't want people thinking that the children were not taught good manors, but any word can be a "bad word" if you use it as one.

TechnoZeus

[View Quote]

lioness.

Nov 20, 2002, 10:47am
awwwwwwww fudge!!!!!!!!! ;-"D

[View Quote]

lioness.

Nov 20, 2002, 11:17am
to quote a "tourist" who pops in at the gate area from time to time... "GK
MARY THE B!*&% CAN SUCK MY F%$^#* DICK AND THEN STICK IT UP HER WET P^##Y
AND THEN SUCK ON IT TILL IT C*#S ALL OVER HER FACE!!!!!!!" (end of quote)
..... there's many more quotes I can put here. Including those immature
people (kids?) who just pop in every once in a while to say F%$^ or S#IT
or something equivalent just to be funny.

I have an open mind. I usually don't cringe when an occasional "cuss" word
comes spilling out of someone when they are angry and feel the need to
express themselves. But I truly believe most people in this world are raised
with better morals than the asswipe that I quoted earlier in this post. I am
also sure that other countries are trying to teach their children those same
values. In some countries it is considered rude to point a finger. In some
countries it is considered rude to burp in public. There ARE a LOT of kids
in AW. Not just little kids like my 11 year old, but there seems to be a lot
of 12-15 year olds who are still in the process of learning how to be
responsible and polite adults. How can we adults set examples for our young
people today if we let go of guidelines and standards??? Is it so difficult
for people to simply NOT "cuss" in public???? Even among what we believe to
be adults??? Or does the act of using these words in public make us feel or
appear more grown up??? Maturity to me means being able to control oneself
when needed. I don't go around scratching every bodily itch when I'm in
public. Some people wouldn't mind. But I don't want to embarrass myself by
scratching certain areas of my body in public. People would look at me like
I'm some kind of degenerate. (no comments on that please ;-"D) My mother
always taught me... "If you can't say something nice, don't say it at all".
Of course this was coming from the same woman who made me eat soap for
cussing when I was a kid. I taught my child to choose NOT to use that kind
of language in public. I taught her that people think it's rude. I can't
guarantee she doesn't use it when she's with her friends. But she does know
how to control it. I've witnessed her stop herself. When we chat on any
online program we somehow lose the controls we normally have. Maybe it's
what virtual reality does to us. The bot serves as a reminder to us all to
remember that there are people there who do not want to hear that kind of
language. Tolerance goes both ways. There are standards for a reason. And
Carlin was right when he said they are "just words". However it's what we
picture in our minds when we hear certain words. What do you think of when
you see something like what I posted earlier???? Am I being narrow minded???
;-"/

[View Quote]

binarybud

Nov 20, 2002, 1:04pm
Very we said Lioness :) I agree 100%

Leo :) aka BinaryBud

[View Quote]

anarkissed

Nov 20, 2002, 3:16pm
I agree with you on this. I am a grownup. I use these words. i can read
these words. I rather like when I don't have to. I've seen profanity
strung out like turds on a washline and I do see the difference. They ARENT
just words, they're power words. They contain a lot of power, that's why
children like to use them. Children sense the power in these words. It's
why we constrain them. It's not healthy power like the power in words like
"Good" and "love" and "congratulations" and "luck" but rather power of
sorrow and fury. When we are suffering sorrow or fury we need power words
but every last one of us knows very well which words they are and often even
knows the cuss words in other languages! They are perfectly capable of
choosing alternate nouns and adjectives and verbs to express themselves.
Not that the sentence you quoted would be any better with technical (and
legal) terms inserted in place of the foul language LOL
However, one should get a whisper with each first instance of each cuss word
as some folks simply aren't taught good manners and use them with such habit
they need a reminder to even think about it.
Let's face it, just because you mouth said it when you accidentally deleted
your whole build doesn't mean your fingers have to type it too!
Frickin' fracking bling blang ding dang sum kinda piece'a'crap thing! LOL

[View Quote]

chazrad

Nov 20, 2002, 8:00pm
how about Tourets syndrome?

"brant" <awteen at shoemakervillage.org> wrote in
news:3ddaf66e at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> I disagree.
>
> This isn't an issue of morality, but an issue of being broad-minded
> about others' views. Many people don't approve of the words you
> hinted at in your post. True, some may believe that using them in
> public is acceptable, but I'm not sure that you or anyone can say that
> a "majority" feels one way or the other. In order to make this
> statement, a poll would have to be conducted and the answers posted.
>
> But more importantly, there are many children in these G and PG rated
> worlds whose parents don't wish them to be exposed to such language.
> What good is a new ratings system in 3.4 is AW doesn't enforce the
> ratings of its own worlds?
>
> There are no customs aide bots in worlds like WildAW that are rated
> for an older crowd. We just got through a huge discussion about the
> Gor worlds in the universe - why are we complaining about the Gor
> worlds when we can't even agree on whether AW's worlds should be
> moderated?

[View Quote]

lioness.

Nov 20, 2002, 10:48pm
LOL ;-"D

[View Quote]

anduin

Nov 21, 2002, 12:47am
An identity claiming to be known as dzap scribed the following news:3ddb0842 at server1.Activeworlds.com :

> One program I can't live without is OE-QuoteFix
> The program reformats old quotes and color them for easy reading. Links
> are recognised and kept unbroken.

Hmm, I'm giving this program a little try. The maximum you can make your lines is 132 columns with this thing so I'm wondering how well this will work with my settings.

--
Anduin (317281)
- The Gorean Scribe
- http://www.anduin-lothario.com

technozeus

Nov 21, 2002, 1:41am
That's exactly what I was trying to say earlier. (Not the qouted part. Hehe.)

People tend to use certain words or expressions loudly and bluntly when they are angry to the point of not being able to think straight or when they are intentionally trying to show someone disrespect because they are upset over something or in any number of other very distasteful situations. I'm guessing that the words with symbols other than letters in them were not spelled with those symbols by the person you were quoting, but rather censored to some degree before you posted the quotes. Because of the ways that such words tend to get used, many of us have learned to think of them as generally distasteful regaurdless of context because they subconciously (and often even quite conciously) remind us of such situations and of the feelings invoked most commonly when such words are encountered. It's a sort of verbal prejudice, actually and as such we should be careful not to go too overboard with it, but prejudice used in moderation and examined after the fact to see if it was best can often keep people out of trouble, so it makes sense to teach a certain amount of it to children. For example, avoiding words that tend to be heard in violent situations will not remove all chance of violence occurring but may very well reduce the likliness of it. There's also something to be said for thinking before speaking rather than speaking before thinking. :)

TechnoZeus

[View Quote]

lioness.

Nov 21, 2002, 2:33am
Yep. Guilty as charged. It was disturbing enough to read that quote the
first time without all the substituting symbols. I figured all we needed was
the first letter of the words to tell us what was implied the first time
around. And yes, we all need some practice at thinking before speaking.
Including me. ;-"D

[View Quote]

technozeus

Nov 21, 2002, 3:41am
Yeah, I do the same thing. It's just plain more polite to avoid spelling out or bluntly stating words that you feel may cause someone else discomfort. The problem is in the fact that we can't possibly know ahead of time exactly which words will offend which people in which contexts. Of course, when a bot takes on the job the problem becomes even more obvious because how to recognize a mood or a situation is much less less easily defined than how to recognize a short string of letters. Of course, it would be possible to make a bot able to allow people to tell it what words they find offensive, but many such words would not be consistantly offensive and those that are, many people would not feel comfortable even spelling out to the bot.

My personal view on the situation is that no bot can solve the problem, but a bot could "help" if used wisely. For example, if a person uses multiple words in a single line of text which are well known to offend many peeople, that line of text could theoretically be blocked by the bot before anyone else even has to see it, and a whisper sent by the bot to the person who typed it stating why their line of text was not displayed. Also, if someone is politely asked not to use "such words" or something to that effect, a monitoring human could look at what was said, and if it's obvious what the offending words were, they could set the bot to eject if that same person used them again. Things like that may make the human's job of keeping things peaceful a little easier... but it would still be up to the humans to do the job.

By the way, I have seen a lot of cases where people think they have entered a game when they first come to AW, and they say offensive things just to see how the game reacts. Not everyone knows right away that this is part of the real world and they are dealing with real people who have real feelings.

TechnoZeus

It's typed text. Tourets is a spoken impulse. =)

Chris

[View Quote]

technozeus

Nov 21, 2002, 3:53am
I've seen sosme people who touch type so naturally I doubt their brains would have time to tell the difference. hehe.

TechnoZeus

[View Quote]

1  2  3  |