Close the newsgroups (Community)

Close the newsgroups // Community

1  2  |

wizard myrddin hippyring@rdescape(dot)co(dot)uk

Nov 5, 2002, 9:56pm
Personally the amount of trouble and allegations in these newsgroups which
seem to have poping in over the last few weeks I would welcome the
Newsgroups been totally closed down.

The only information I ever see is the odd thread about something
interesting, the rest is a set of "I think they did that" or your a bigot
etc.

What sort of example is this newsgroup showing people that might want to
join Activeworlds and thought "Hey I read the newgroup to see what the
members think"

I think aw would now be a better place if these newsgroups closed as it is
causing grief, upset, and people throwing false allegations.

gandalf

Nov 5, 2002, 9:57pm
I wholeheartedly agree with you Wiz, hence why I wrote my poem.

Gandy

antigone

Nov 5, 2002, 10:00pm
I second the motion:)

elyk

Nov 5, 2002, 10:02pm
Ahhh its just getting a little spicy......*G* Look at Jerry Springer! lol
j/k ;o)
[View Quote]

lady gabrielle

Nov 5, 2002, 10:03pm
Me Three :)
[View Quote]

wizard myrddin hippyring@rdescape(dot)co(dot)uk

Nov 5, 2002, 10:05pm
If anybody is interested in closing newsgroups perhaps email
abuse at activeworlds.com

When members have to close worlds and consider leaving aw in disgust of
false allegations in these newsgroups after all the work they have done for
aw its time for it to close it.

[View Quote]

mod

Nov 5, 2002, 10:05pm
Bah, definitly not necessary, this ng has the potential to be such a great
thing . . .
Just because a few people decide to never let anything go, it should not be
shut down. You have free will, we all do. Most thread headings suggest the
content of the thread, use that free will, and don't click on it. To have a
whole NG shut down because you have to click on every thread, would be
horrible, and just plain rediculous . . .

-Mod
[View Quote]

talisan

Nov 5, 2002, 10:09pm
You have my vote. Close down the newsgroup Flagg please!

daphne

Nov 5, 2002, 10:10pm
It'll die down, Wiz....... It always does... :o)

So,,, No one thinks we should have a "Design A Holiday Season Bingo World
Contest"??? *S*

[View Quote]

tony m

Nov 5, 2002, 10:11pm
I'm behind the shutdown motion--but I would like to see them reopen in the future though.

[View Quote] >Personally the amount of trouble and allegations in these newsgroups which
>seem to have poping in over the last few weeks I would welcome the
>Newsgroups been totally closed down.
>
>The only information I ever see is the odd thread about something
>interesting, the rest is a set of "I think they did that" or your a bigot
>etc.
>
>What sort of example is this newsgroup showing people that might want to
>join Activeworlds and thought "Hey I read the newgroup to see what the
>members think"
>

>I think aw would now be a better place if these newsgroups closed as it is
>causing grief, upset, and people throwing false allegations.

elyk

Nov 5, 2002, 10:16pm
Why close them down.....this stuff happens all the time....and someone
always says "close them down" but I doubt it will happen. Most of this stuff
is mainly debate. I admit, it does get pretty bad in here sometimes when ppl
get angry and call names, but I do believe they have banned individuals
before. Its just getting a little spicy, like I said, it will die
down....and I'm sure another topic will come up. I'm sure Flagg knows when
something is getting out of hand....believe me, there has been way worse
than this in the newsgroups.
[View Quote]

wizard myrddin hippyring@rdescape(dot)co(dot)uk

Nov 5, 2002, 10:17pm
Yes, I remember words from a old 60's song that went something like "You
dont know what had till it was gone"

[View Quote]

brock

Nov 5, 2002, 10:18pm
We could always just have them cleared and start fresh, that sounds better

--
Brock - 308723
AW 3.4 Build: Heck who knows they shoot them out faster than a rabbit does
Brock at iceflare.net
[View Quote]

antigone

Nov 5, 2002, 10:23pm
lol Daphne:)
Whats the prize? (s)
Also...Tex and I will be in Boston nov 19th thru Dec 3rd...then Los Angelos
Dec 20th thru Jan 6th.
What all would need to be done to organize this?

daphne

Nov 5, 2002, 10:42pm
1, it would take ppl willing to participate as contestants...
2, it would take a panel of judges..
3, it would take a web page outlining what the requirements are when
creating a Bingo world... (the bot, though good, can only "talk" to objects
that are within it's range..
4, it would take participants as contestants!! Oh.. I said that
already!! LOL

Prize??? Well, I could see about a prize I suppose but I kinda thought
that the pride of winning such a contest and having your build put in an AW
public world would be a really GREAT prize!!! Second prize (or call it a
co-first prize) could also having the build duplicated in the other CitBingo
world...

If King Tex wanted to get the AWBingo worlds on this then we could really go
to town with some cool builds in the Bingo worlds over the Holiday Season
and the best builds going into AWBingo worlds too would just add to the co-
first prizes ---> the prize called well-earned pride!!!

A few more details would need to be worked out but this is pretty doable and
to me, sounds like fun!!! :o)

[View Quote]

mrbruce

Nov 5, 2002, 11:01pm
Nah then we'd all have to go to AWdebate world :) I think people just need
to vent a little and discuss publicly their concerns, like we did when AW
raised the prices and removed tourists
It will all get worked eventually. My public apoligy goes out to anyone here
who might be personally affected by anything I have posted in recent days,
my intent is not to hurt anyone. Just protect. ;)
MrBruce
A1CTWorld at aol.com
[View Quote]

nornny11

Nov 5, 2002, 11:24pm
Meh, let them tarnish some reputations, it's not mine. :) I'm happily
sitting back and enjoying the flame throwing, as many others are too. You
have to realize, you're all in the heat of the moment (moment being days to
weeks, of course) and you shouldn't be making such hasty decisions and
indecisions. :)

This community newsgroup has A LOT to offer. :) What I don't understand is,
Eep creates a million of flame threads and he gets banned from the
newsgroup. You guys create a million flame threads and all of the sudden the
whole newsgroup has to be closed. lol.

I mean, eventually, this will come to a point where no one would WANT to
bother to post their idea for the 50,000th time and we'll get back to real
matters. If not, there's always 3.4 in two months.

You all worry too much about image. Loosen up guys, there are communities
much worse than this. :) Embrace the infighting. What would we be without
the community newsgroup, there's so much history and life in here to throw
it all away on a few threads.

--
From the Newbie's Guide to the AW NG:

"Nornny11 - The original wishy-washy man, this one can actually insult you
and compliment you in the same breath, and in the end say absolutely
nothing! What a talent!"

[View Quote]

poseidon

Nov 5, 2002, 11:43pm
No kidding, heh. I mean, it's all rather ordinary in most newsgroups, isn't
it? Tech support NGs aside... But really, I personally look forward to
signing on in the morning and reading both this Newsgroup, and the AWTeen
Newsgroups for the reason that it makes me feel attached to the community,
even if I am not signed in. Sure, the newsgroups get a bit crazy sometimes.
Ok, very crazy - but the problems you see exploding here haven't all been
sparked by things that have occurred in here. There is always an exception
though.

If you haven't noticed, most of the trouble starts IN world.. Not here! It
is then the act of certain people bringing their problems into the
newsgroups (and letters saying "to: so and so" - which really doesn't help
the ratio of flaming posts to important posts) that spark heated flames, and
personal battles. If people would only learn to keep their *personal*
problems in world, or in e-mail, the newsgroups wouldn't be filled with such
violent outburst - well not as much :)

What I'm trying to say is that in a community, there is bound to be
fighting. In a newsgroup, you cannot avoid it. Yet a majority of those
problems begin outside of the newsgroup. Besides, whats a community if no
one posts their *community* concerns about a big topic in our universe, on
our main means of communication? Nothing, really. If people didn't air their
true concerns to this newsgroup, it would show what a lack of community
spirit we all have, which fortunately, is not true.

Poseidon

[View Quote]

shred

Nov 6, 2002, 12:13am
The newsgroups would not need to be shut down if they were only monitored by AWC. However, since this is obviously not going to happen, I would suggest that AWC set up a vote in order for newsgroup participants to elect three or four fairly impartial regular users of the newsgroups to enforce the rules that were originally set by AWC in the Community Charter.

I am not suggesting moderation. That was tried once, and the experiment was a failure. AWC simply does not have the time nor the manpower to keep a regular watch on the newsgroups. Therefore, I suggest if a very small group of trusted newsgroup members were elected to the "monitor group" and given a strict set of guidelines that they must abide by, set by AWC, I think the problem would be mostly solved.

[View Quote]

antigone

Nov 6, 2002, 12:54am
Oooooh...I would love to volunteer as moderator....lol

linn ironhead@digitalpassage(dot)com

Nov 6, 2002, 1:34am
sorry but YOU wont be here :-) *sweetie*

count dracula

Nov 6, 2002, 3:37am
I am against closing the NGs down, because they actually can work as a
technical help in some occasions.
Thay are actually a apart of the support package when you buy a
world/universe.
What comes to the discussions in the community group, it is only "normal"
that now and then some bashing of some groups happens; has happened since I
started to read the NGs (beginning of 1999?). This way of communication
happens in most NGs I read.
I think it is good that there is a place where ppl can both be creative
(rare) and blow some steam about community issues.
I do not think we need monitoring; I also belive Flagg actually monitor this
NG, since some has been banned from here (I bet that is why he has been so
busy and not sent the world to me I won in Bingo over 2 months ago).

Drac
wizard myrddin <Hippyring at rdescape(DOT)co(DOT)uk> kirjoitti
viestissä:3dc868a5 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> Personally the amount of trouble and allegations in these newsgroups which
> seem to have poping in over the last few weeks I would welcome the
> Newsgroups been totally closed down.
>
> The only information I ever see is the odd thread about something
> interesting, the rest is a set of "I think they did that" or your a bigot
> etc.
>
> What sort of example is this newsgroup showing people that might want to
> join Activeworlds and thought "Hey I read the newgroup to see what the
> members think"
>

> I think aw would now be a better place if these newsgroups closed as it is
> causing grief, upset, and people throwing false allegations.

linn ironhead@digitalpassage(dot)com

Nov 6, 2002, 5:37am
opps I forgot to ask sigh :-)

wizard myrddin hippyring@rdescape(dot)co(dot)uk

Nov 6, 2002, 6:57am
Yes I beleave Flagg is a extremely busy person these days and proberly does
not monitor the NG threads unlesss someone complains.

But what I strongly object against is the one or two that seem to use the
newgroup to project miss information only to discredit and try ruin
reputations for their own self egotistic reasons. Then laugh in the face of
the Community that they are perfect.

[View Quote]

linn ironhead@digitalpassage(dot)com

Nov 6, 2002, 8:10am
yes and ppl who SAY they are trying to "help" then you find out they are
traitors and you KNOW who you are (if its not you then don't waste time
with posting)

kerstin

Nov 6, 2002, 9:56am
I do hope that one qualification for moderator is that the person cannot be
one who is known to create havoc in this newsgroup, instigate flame wars,
and keep flame wars going. The idea here, which you seem to have missed, is
to reduce or eliminate those things, not keep them going as you do.

[View Quote]

binarybud

Nov 6, 2002, 11:05am
look in the mirror troublemaker.

[View Quote]

binarybud

Nov 6, 2002, 11:06am
like you have a clue how this all works.

[View Quote]

binarybud

Nov 6, 2002, 11:10am
We KNOW who Wiz was talking about. I think you THREE need to go to your room for a while. You have no respect for others and for sure no respect for the people in these newsgroups.

[View Quote]

wizard myrddin hippyring@rdescape(dot)co(dot)uk

Nov 6, 2002, 12:34pm
Yes I can see your well reason input there, at least I've seen no false
allegations to discredit people and try and remove them from aw. If this is
respect its a bad day for aw.