[AWNews] Put Up or Shut Up (long!) (Community)

[AWNews] Put Up or Shut Up (long!) // Community

Firstly, an update on the AWNews situation: We're still in the process
of cleaning up the database mess that Cybor left behind. I'm also
installing forums onto the website so AWNews will have its own forums
once everything's ready to go!

In the meantime, the folks over at VR Village Voice
(http://www.spiraline.com/~vrvillagevoice/html) have been nice enough to
allow us to post AWNews stories on their site while we get ours up and
running. You can get to the AWNews portion of the site by clicking
"Sections" in the VRV Modules List and clicking the huge AWNews logo
that pops up (which, by the way, is a brand new logo!) Go there now to
see AWNews special coverage of the CY Awards, including COMPLETE voting
results!

Ok, now that that spam is out of the way, time to get down to brass
tacks. As I'm sure most of you recall, AWNews lost its awnews.com domain
to a domain squatter. At the time, this caused a swelling of support for
AWNews and its cause, with some even going so far as saying they would
do whatever they could to help, including sending money.

Well, guess what? I'm calling your bluff.

Now that AWNews is relatively back in the swing of things, it's time to
cash in your chips and help out the cause. However, it's not money that
we need, it's bodies! We need physical help! Reporters, Programmers,
Designers, Photographers, Editors, basically anyone who has an inkling
for news and the ever constant search for the virtual truth!

Let's face facts, folks, if you people really want AWNews to live on,
then it can no longer be a one-man operation anymore, and for all
intents and purposes, that's what's it's been these past couple years.
So the continued success of AWNews rests on *your* shoulders, and I mean
that literally. I can no longer do this on my own, and as those of you
who know me know I suck at motivating people to do my bidding. Oh sure,
I can write rousing columns and NG posts, but as we've all come to learn
here in AW, talk is cheap.

Now before you all start blasting me with emails saying "i dunno what i
can do, but i wanna help!!", let me explain something to you. I've been
involved with AW organizations for almost 4 years now. And every time,
EVERY time, I try to get some semblance of a staff together, it always
disintegrates within a month or two, if even that long. See, I'm of the
philosophy that I should be able to give you the tools you need to do
your job, and then you will go and do it simply because it's what you
want to do (and what you signed up to do in the first place). However,
it seems that most eager volunteers think that I need to be giving them
instructions ever second of every day, otherwise they'll forget about
their position.

So, with that in mind, here's what I need, regardless of job
description. I need people that:
1. Love to explore
2. Like talking to and meeting new people
3. Want to know the REAL story
4. Don't mind hob-nobbing with an AW "celebrity" occasionally
5. Are inquisitive and curious
6. Think AW is a way of life, not a spare time pet project
7. Are available at a moment's notice. (This doesn't mean you have to
devote every waking hour to AW, but I should be able to send you a
telegram and get a response within a day, not a week)
8. Are SELF-MOTIVATED!!! (i.e. would do this sort of thing as a hobby,
in their sleep, etc.)

So, think you fit this profile? Let's hope so, because here're the jobs
available for you:

Reporters - Above all else, reporters are the mainstay of AWNews. They
are the ones that go out into the field and get the story, the WHOLE
story. They ask the questions, they record the chat, they hunt down the
relevant people. These people always have their ears to the ground and
their eyes open looking for the next big story and pouncing on it as
soon as it happens. Being able to actually write your own articles would
be a big plus, but not entirely necessary. As long as you're willing to
ask the tough questions and get ALL the answers, then this job's for
you. And if you think you'll have trouble finding stories, then we'll
find some for you.

Photographers - The New AWNews is going to be quite graphic-intensive
compared to previous versions. With that in mind, we'll need
photographers to capture the story as it happens, or at least get the
aftermath. In most cases, Photographers and Reporters will be paired
together on a story so that they both get the same material. Needs to
have some concept of photography, including setting up the shot,
arrangement, etc. (in other words, knows the difference between a good
shot and a bad shot)

Programmers - AWNews currently uses PostNuke as the backbone of its
system. While this is a wonderful open-source document management
system, it's a bit too generic for AWNews purposes. And since I know
squat about PHP, (at least for now) we need programmers to tweak and
bend the system to our will! An expert understanding of PHP, mySQL, and
HTML would be ideal for this position.

Editors - While not a top priority, having more than one Editor on staff
would certainly help lighten my load. Has to have a *extremely* good
knowledge of the English language, as you'll probably spend most of your
time taking random gibberish and turning into a literary work of art.

Graphics Designers - You're sole responsibility will be making spiffy
graphics for the website. This includes, but is not limited to, headline
graphics, top story graphics, photography touch-ups, etc. Basically, if
there's a story that needs a graphic or edited photo, you'll be the one
to do the job. Experience in Photoshop or other high-end graphics
program will be necessary for this job, as well as a basic understanding
of design principles.

See anything that tickles your fancy? Ok then, I give you your first
test in wanting to sign up for the AWNews staff: FOLLOWING DIRECTIONS!!
If you can do this much, then you're definitely on your way to becoming
a full-fledged, card-carrying member of the virtual press. Simply send
me an email to gooberking at utn.cjb.net and state which position you want
to sign up for and why. Do not send me any telegrams. Do not reply to
this message. (unless you want to stir up more pointless debate) Think
you can handle that? Good, I thought so, too.

As for the rest of you, the ones who don't think they have anything to
contribute, guess what? You do! Spread the word that AWNews is back on
the streets! Especially be sure to tell those who no longer use AW,
since a large part of our former readership were people *outside* AW!
Also, if you can bend the ear of some of our fellow citizens in other
AW-based universes like OuterWorlds or DreamLand Park, let them know
we're looking for them too! The eventual plan is to have AWNews cover
*all* AW-based universes, but it can only happen with *your* help!

So next time you feel the urge to send me a telegram saying "When's
AWNews going to be back up?!", stop yourself and change it to say "What
can I do to help AWNews get back up?" You'll get a much more pleasant
response out of me, and you'll be helping AWNews in the long run. It's a
win-win situation!

AWNews Editor in Chief
robrod at prism.net

linn

Oct 30, 2002, 6:24am
good advice goob
take it

Thanks to Kerstin for pointing this out!

Apparently, people can't see the VRV Modules List unless they register
on VR Village. So here's the URL directly to the Sections section (haw!)

http://www.spiraline.com/~vrvillagevoice/html/modules.php?name=Sections

Will have to have a little talk with 'Nome...
robrod at prism.net

wizard myrddin

Oct 30, 2002, 9:38am
Hi GK

Have you tried to send a message of help with phpnuke to the forums that
deal with it?

I know myself from running a community based on phpnuke the guys are very
willing to help anyone to increase the flexability of this great portal.

Best of luck with it

Hey Goob... we could always put the AWNews forum on the SW City website.
=P swcity.net.

SW "Shameless Plugger" Chris

ANY good reporter worth his salt will at least listen to and know who Bill
O'Reilly is on occasion. You can listen to his radio show through Streaming
Audio at
http://www.radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/url?bc=y&call=KFQD&band=AM&service=AM
at 9PM VRT and runs till 11PM VRT. His TV show The O'Reilly Factor begins
at 1AM VRT daily.

He's rough, he's tough, and he likes to ham it up. He's the most
entertaining news analyst out there, and even if you don't always agree with
him he'll still listen to you.
:)

Chris

[View Quote]

maki

> Hey Goob... we could always put the AWNews forum on the SW City website.
> =P swcity.net.

orrrr, "we" could put the forum on the awnews website. =P awnews.org.

maki awmaki.com

ohhh the lengths I'll go to to plug our site. >:)

Chris

Bill O'Reilly is hardly a reporter. He just gets paid to shine a
spotlight on some hapless "ne'er-do-well" and pepper him with inane
questions in the never ending quest for viewers. True reporters seek the
truth, not ratings. You can just as easily gain the answers you seek
with a soft hand and a smiley face than a closed fist and a scowl.

Reporters actually *report* things!
robrod at prism.net

Well you need to understand something here first, Goober. O'Reilly is NOT a
reporter. He's a news analyst. Secondly, don't tell me Lerher or Brown or
Koppel are reporters. They're pansy interviewers. Brokaw's alright, but
he's with MSNBC.

O'Reilly himself was the first guy to bust open the door on the Red Cross
not giving all the money given to them for 9/11 _to_ the victems of 9/11.
Nobody else even touched that. Right now he's railing on the marijuana
pushers who want to legalize it and set up drive-through stands in
Sacremento. He's the _only_ guy going after Ashcroft for letting John Lee
Malvo get off of being deported by the Feds. So come on. Don't tell he's
after ratings and not the truth. The guy only got ratings by telling the
truth.

Just an FYI. :P

SW "CNN Sucks" Chris

[View Quote]

shred

Oct 31, 2002, 1:16am
[View Quote] > So next time you feel the urge to send me a telegram saying "When's
> AWNews going to be back up?!", stop yourself and change it to say "What
> can I do to help AWNews get back up?"

*stands before a microphone*

Ask not what your news service can do for you, but what you can do for your news service!

I never said any news anchors or analysts were reporters. However, you
were insinuating that somehow O'Reilly should be a guide for wanna-be
reporters, when he's not even a reporter himself.

As for O'Reilly and his crusades, noble as they may be, that's not what
AWNews is about. We report on the facts and let them speak for
themselves, that's it. We're not trying to get people to think or feel a
certain way about a story; we'll let the readers decide how to feel
about something. But if you want someone to tell you how to think about
a story, then fine, watch O'Reilly or Chris Matthews or Rush Limbaugh or
whatever talking head suits your fancy. But as far as actual *news*
goes, the only place you'll find such things at AWNews is in the Opinion
section, where it belongs.

Pillar of truth and *objectivity*
robrod at prism.net

When I said you should listen to and know who O'Reilly is, I was not
intending that his style be at template on how reporting is done. Rather
that it be a basis. You have to admit, they guy asks tough questions. And
that's all I was getting at. :)

btw... O'Reilly lets his listeners decide what they should think about
something as well. His arguements are just usually the right ones, that's
all. =P j/k. Seriously, it's up his audience to decide if he's right or
not. If you watch, he almost always says that he'll let the audience decide
at the end of each interview.

Chris

Oh yes, something else I neglected to mention:

All of you who used to be on AWNews staff, if you still want to be on
the staff, you'll have to "re-apply". We're starting from scratch here! :)

Prove your interest!
robrod at prism.net

"wizard myrddin" <Hippyring at rdescape.co.uk> wrote in
news:3dbfd2de at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> Hi GK
>
> Have you tried to send a message of help with phpnuke to the forums that
> deal with it?
>
> I know myself from running a community based on phpnuke the guys are very
> willing to help anyone to increase the flexability of this great portal.
>
> Best of luck with it

We use PostNuke, not PHPNuke (it's a fork of PHPNuke though), and the
problem is quite local to our database :-((. It seems the founder and coder
of AWN had fun hacking away at PN and it's DB structure so we can't use the
official PN upgrading tools to upgrade the DB. I decided to first make out
the differences between the old and the new DB by hand and write a
migration script, but since I'm a lazy freak and at the same time
overworked (due to school, that evil thing) I haven't actually done it ;-))
Perhaps I should do it now. Or perhaps I should play a game. Hmmm...
*wanders off*

KAH

linn ironhead@digitalpassage(dot)com

Nov 6, 2002, 9:35am
and I have never heard him say "shut up" real class goob!!!