ATTN BRANT.....PK MATTER!!! (Community)

ATTN BRANT.....PK MATTER!!! // Community

1  2  |

pc hamster

Oct 2, 2002, 5:49am
Hi everyone:

I sent this to AW Abuse, but just in case this bounces, here goes....

BEGIN PASTED MESSAGE:
=====================

I would like to report a sign which is apparently in violation of the
ActiveWorlds TOS. It is at 3442N 245E and was created by someone named
"King Of The Day". This sign advertises a PORN WEBSITE. The URL given
on the sign is http://www.pornotrap.com/ There is a build near that
sdign as well, but I can't tell if it's associated in any way with the
sign (A quick spot check of the build indicates it's NOT).

I tried going to the GET website to fill out a form, but apparently the
server must be down at the moment. I followed the link from the
AWcommunity.org website.

I have no vested interest either way in the apparent TOS violation, but
figured I should let someone know it exists out of respect for the
person who owns the adjacent build.

I figured you would want to know.... :-)

Cheers for now :-)

Patrick Cook
pchamster at msn.com
Denver, Colorado
==============END PASTED MESSAGE=========

PC Hamster

johnny b jbitt2atjuno.com

Oct 2, 2002, 8:32am
try abuse at activeworlds.com next time :O/

[View Quote]

lioness.

Oct 2, 2002, 9:45am
ummmmm....question....why did you post an url for a porno site on the ngs
when there are multiple minors in here?????? There is an url for the PK's
not to mention many PK's you could have grammed in aw about this. Just
curious. ;-"/

[View Quote]

de de cyber mom

Oct 2, 2002, 4:52pm
pk's take care of these buisness
an d btw Lioness is verry right
i am relly pissed you posted it here
íf you would be realy offended to see the url there
then why in the nme are you feeding it here to 13 year olds
think maybe we should report ou as abuse in it as well ?

a verry angry mom

"lioness." <nobody at nowhere.net> schreef in bericht
news:3d9adc3e at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> ummmmm....question....why did you post an url for a porno site on the ngs
> when there are multiple minors in here?????? There is an url for the PK's
> not to mention many PK's you could have grammed in aw about this. Just
> curious. ;-"/

My first reaction to this is.... why are you posting this on the community
newsgroup? We can't do anything about it.

My second reaction to this is... at least you took the time to report it.

SW Chris

[View Quote]

binarybud

Oct 2, 2002, 5:23pm
Yes, fer sure, a slip of the brain ,.... but his heart was in the right place...
Thanx PC Hamster, for trying to warn us.

And a warning to all you "moms" out there....just because your kid is home and in his/her room, does not mean they are in there alone! The internet is the WORST babysitter you can have. You would not let a stranger babysit your child when you leave home would you? Then why would you let someone half way around the world entertain your child in their own room?

Parents need to wise up on this.

IMHO
Leo :) aka BinaryBud

[View Quote]

dion

Oct 2, 2002, 6:05pm
Good lord, you trying to get me kicked off the internet? o.O

[View Quote]

binarybud

Oct 2, 2002, 6:06pm
that depends........ you feeling....... guilty?
lol

[View Quote]

alphabit phalpha

Oct 2, 2002, 6:27pm
Yes...thank you PC Hamster....we know your intentions and they were all
good:)

count dracula

Oct 2, 2002, 7:13pm
Sheesh, get a life LOL

Drac

pc hamster

Oct 2, 2002, 9:59pm
Hi everyone:

I think they kewords were.....

This should tell ANYONE that I tried to keep this OFF the newsgroups by going
to the GETG website. Could I have grammed Carol Clutter?? I suppose so. But
she's only ONE PK charged with the responsibility of keeping things in order on
a VERY LARGE AlphaWorld. By posting tro the newsgroups, it gets the attention
of MANY PKs at once.

Besides, a porn site on a newsgroup is just that as long as YOU have Net Nanny
*software* ON YOUR COMPUTER which DOES NOT make it clickable (you DO have "net
nanny" software, DO YOU?). NOT having it is just as bad as not having
Anit-Virus software.

Not to shift any blame as we all know the REAL blame falls squarely on the
person who put up that sign, but ISPs and other services such as ActiveWorlds
can only go so far to ensure that children don't visit porn sites. The rest is
up to you. This is where Net Nanny software comes in.

Having said all that, I'd just assume see this thing DROP LIKE A ROCK to the
bottom as everyone is WELL aware of the existence of this sign by now. :-)

Cheers for now everyone :-)

Patrick Cook
pchamzster at msn.com
Denver, Colorado

[View Quote] > pk's take care of these buisness
> an d btw Lioness is verry right
> i am relly pissed you posted it here
> íf you would be realy offended to see the url there
> then why in the nme are you feeding it here to 13 year olds
> think maybe we should report ou as abuse in it as well ?
>
> a verry angry mom
>
> "lioness." <nobody at nowhere.net> schreef in bericht
> news:3d9adc3e at server1.Activeworlds.com...

joeman

Oct 2, 2002, 10:17pm
Uh, no. People don't go off installing net nanny on their computer.
Parents hope that some bozo doesn't go off and post porn links to a
community forum. Maybe an email or telegram would have been better? I
mean, really, this whole thing wasn't necessary. Wow, there's a sign with a
bad link on it, call the papers, front page news!

-Joe

[View Quote]

elyk

Oct 2, 2002, 11:00pm
Oh lay off of him...he was just posting it to show proof of his findings. I
think he could have reported it to the PK email address rather, but he did
this instead. Kids, no matter what age are going to find something on the
internet sooner or later. I think that your "maybe we should report YOU"
crap is a little out of line, dont you think? Some of you PK's can go a
little too overboard with this shit. Leave him alone ok? He did the right
thing in some way at least. Geez.
---------
Elyk
[View Quote]

tony m

Oct 3, 2002, 12:56am
[View Quote] >
>Besides, a porn site on a newsgroup is just that as long as YOU have Net Nanny
>*software* ON YOUR COMPUTER which DOES NOT make it clickable (you DO have "net
>nanny" software, DO YOU?). NOT having it is just as bad as not having
>Anit-Virus software.

Um, no, it isn't. Sorry. Software filters aren't solutions; actual parental guidance is.

pc hamster

Oct 3, 2002, 3:11am
Hi everyone:

Thanks Elyk... :-)

Somehow I don't think DeDe is a PK, but rather just one of MANY people who own
their own little PRIVATE little world WHICH CONSUMES awi's BANDWIDTH for their
little kids to play around in. Many of these people could give a RATS MOO about
THE COMMUNITY and usually don't realize just what they REALLY have in
ActiveWorlds.

They ALSO don't read THE ENTIRE MESSAGE!!! Because IF DeDe DID, she would have
seen THIS....

However though, I can see it PAYS to have a few PKs on your Contact List as
people here are just too freakin' sensitive.

Maybe next time I run across a sign like that and can't reach the AwCommunity
website or send email, I'll just ignore it in the hopes that "the other guy"
will see it and DO SOMETHING about it.

Yeah...I think that's what I'll do.

And when someone comments on it and I tell 'em I knew it existed but did
nothing, I'll just simply laugh at their question as to why I never even did so
much as POST IT TO THE NEWSGROUPS because of the many CLUELESS readers who DO
NOT even bother to read THE WHOLE MESSAGE **BEFORE** JUMPIN' DOWN MY THROAT!!!!

I'll really earn points with the AWHS by doing this....

NOT!!!

In any case, thanks again for coming to my defense (even if you didn't
neccessarily agree with my using the newsgroups, which I didn't particularly
like the idea of either). It's because of people like you, Alphabit Phalpha, SW
Chris, and the rest of THE REGULARS around here who show at least SOME sense of
objectivity that REALLY make these groups worth reading. :-)

If everyone else could just do the same thing, the world would be a much ahppier
place.

Now, let's let this thing drop PLEASE......

Cheers for now everyone :-)

PC Hamster
pchamster at msn.com
Denver, Colorado

[View Quote] > Oh lay off of him...he was just posting it to show proof of his findings. I
> think he could have reported it to the PK email address rather, but he did
> this instead. Kids, no matter what age are going to find something on the
> internet sooner or later. I think that your "maybe we should report YOU"
> crap is a little out of line, dont you think? Some of you PK's can go a
> little too overboard with this shit. Leave him alone ok? He did the right
> thing in some way at least. Geez.

linn

Oct 3, 2002, 9:38am
actually I think this is a good place to post it PK's DON'T always delete
those signs even if you can find one that's online :-) this is just a
lil thing parents should not allow any child to come to THIS NG I think
past posts prove this

In case you haven't gotten the point yet, PC, you didn't *have* to post
the actual link to the website. You could have just as easily said "Hey,
there's this sign with a porn link on it in AWTeen. Can you get rid of
it? Email me and I'll give you the coords." You alert the PKs that
there's a problem without making public any information that could be
traced by curious innocents. While I agree that parents should be paying
attention to their kids' activities online, that doesn't mean you
shouldn't also take some responsibility and avoid the problem in the
first place.

Of course, you could have also tried emailing the PKs directly, but
instead you somehow got the idea that the PKs actually pay attention to
these NGs. Not sure where you got that from, but it's certainly not in
the PK job description.

As for GET, it would appear to be working just fine.
http://www.awcommunity.org/get/ for the URL-deprived.

Oh, and you might want to start thinking about anger management courses
or something. You're starting to sound eerily similar to JFK2's rantings...

It may already be too late...
robrod at prism.net

PC, two things:

1. Breathe
2. Go outside

Hopefully when you come back, you'll be a tad more calm, hmm? Life's far
too short to get aneurysms over NG posts...

No, the sun does not hate you...
robrod at prism.net

m0e

Oct 3, 2002, 11:46am
point of fact ..... PK's do not delete objects.

this object, and others of this sort, should be directed to GET, byway of
http://www.awcommunity.org/get/get.htm

[View Quote] > actually I think this is a good place to post it PK's DON'T always delete
> those signs even if you can find one that's online :-) this is just a
> lil thing parents should not allow any child to come to THIS NG I think
> past posts prove this

May I ask what u are on about with ATTN BRANT? Do u mean someone else or the ex CT of AWTeen who is currently feeling ill?

lethys

Oct 3, 2002, 6:48pm
Can you please not be so rude? It's not so much the porn links people put on
the newsgroups as some people's attitude toward others. It's us that are
affecting the readers, not the guy who posted the porn site.

[View Quote]

maki

Oct 3, 2002, 7:01pm
[View Quote] I agree, but it's not possible -- you just have to get used to the people
who think the world revolves around them in here, you also can't have any
emotions or opinions, that don't agree with the people in which the world
revolves around, and don't forget.. some good flaming skills might help.

maki

elyk

Oct 3, 2002, 10:21pm
Yes, I think she is a GK. Which is even worse b/c a lot of them don't do
their jobs as I have witnessed when I was at the Gate last. (No offense to
those of my friends who are GK's)

Sarcasm I sense in you. No newsgroup is perfect. So let's stop complaining
that we're not. We ourselves can do the best to be polite to others, and we
can do a bit of self-policing because let's face it. If the moderator
actively moderated this group a lot of people would be up in arms about
censored posts. I'd hate to have his responsibility. He's deep fried no
matter what he does.

Honestly I'd think this newsgroup would be better off with a little bit of
authority around here. The moderator doesn't have to censor the posts, but
he should read them all and give some textual warnings from time to time.
And if it warrants it, like that porn link up there, that parts of the posts
be edited. And number one thing to keep in mind is... a good moderator
always participates in discussions. That way he doesn't end up looking like
a god from on high. Just make sure its understood that your opinions aren't
the opinions of the company, because that seems to be what you guys over
there in Newburyport are worried about. :)

Now I personally don't know if you can edit posts in a newsgroup, but if the
moderator can't, then that's another good reason for a bulletin board
system. :)

Nobody said this was a democracy. But many folks seem to think it is.

SW Chris

[View Quote]

count dracula

Oct 4, 2002, 7:35pm
Yes good to post it here so all that did not find the bloody sign could get
the link :-)
I just think it is so pathetic; someone finds one sign with a link to a
pornsite in the enormous Alphaworld. I know they are against the rules* of
activeworlds, but really..If someone wants porn, it is extremely easy to
open a webbrowser and do a search, I bet every imbesill is able to find porn
on the web if he/she wants, as a matter of fact one usually ends up on a
porn site sooner or later whatever one is looking for.
I just think this is soooo overreacted, a hell of fuss over one link to a
crappy pornsite (a sign that probably most pople would not even find,
nevertheless give a f*** about)

* not sure how much one should care about the rules of a company that do not
follow their own rules.

Drac
linn <ironhead at digitalpassage.com> kirjoitti
viestissä:3d9c2c28 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> actually I think this is a good place to post it PK's DON'T always
delete
> those signs even if you can find one that's online :-) this is just a
> lil thing parents should not allow any child to come to THIS NG I think
> past posts prove this
[View Quote]

pc hamster

Oct 5, 2002, 8:59am
Hi everyone:

No. The object is (or was) on AlphaWorld. This has nothing to do with AWTeen. And Brant is a PK last time I checked... :-)

PC Hamster

[View Quote] > May I ask what u are on about with ATTN BRANT? Do u mean someone else or the ex CT of AWTeen who is currently feeling ill?

> - Mark
[View Quote]

jstone2004

Oct 5, 2002, 1:09pm
lol, this is kinda funny, it almost makes me think that you posted this on
purpose... You could have easily gramed one of over 50 PK's, not to mention
one of the SRT, who would have responded almost immediately. Next time, just
gram my favorite SRT dude, SkyZack (Peacekeeper 65).

jstone2004

Oct 5, 2002, 1:11pm
really? I never saw him on the registry of PK's. And he never was really
that involved in AW... This should have gone to someone with a little more
involvement, because we don't particularly care!

pc hamster

Oct 6, 2002, 12:55am
Hi everyone:

And you can FORGET about something called POLITENESS and COMMON COURTESY in
here as they don't really exist

Of course, one could say the same thing about COMMON SENSE too, but, in this
case, what recourse (other than email or telegram) would YOU have taken if
some switch decided to to go down on YOU while trying to get to the GET form
web page???

Be honest....

Cheers for now :-)

PC Hamster

[View Quote] [View Quote]

pc hamster

Oct 6, 2002, 1:11am
Hi everyone:

[View Quote] > In case you haven't gotten the point yet, PC, you didn't *have* to post
> the actual link to the website.

To this, I plea guilty as charged, however.... :-) Looking back in hindsight, I
probably should've done something similar to this....

> You could have just as easily said "Hey,
> there's this sign with a porn link on it in AWTeen. Can you get rid of
> it? Email me and I'll give you the coords." You alert the PKs that
> there's a problem without making public any information that could be
> traced by curious innocents. While I agree that parents should be paying
> attention to their kids' activities online, that doesn't mean you
> shouldn't also take some responsibility and avoid the problem in the
> first place.

Actually, it was AlphaWorld, but still however....

> Of course, you could have also tried emailing the PKs directly, but
> instead you somehow got the idea that the PKs actually pay attention to
> these NGs. Not sure where you got that from, but it's certainly not in
> the PK job description.

Brant reads these NGs and hee's a PK. He just doesn't post very often. Dunno where
you got your info. to the contrary...

> As for GET, it would appear to be working just fine.
> http://www.awcommunity.org/get/ for the URL-deprived.

Scouser sent that URL to me in a telegram. I have since bookmarked the page. :-)

> Oh, and you might want to start thinking about anger management courses
> or something. You're starting to sound eerily similar to JFK2's rantings...

Duly noted for consideration, but not really needed at this time though. :-)
However, as SW Chris pointed out, the tension and the cynicism (sp?) is so thick in
this community, you can cut it with a knife (those are MY words in response to HIS
observations, which, at least for the most part, I agree with).

Though OTOH....I suppose I'm just as guilty as the next guy when it comes to

With that said...Cheers for now :-)

PC Hamster