Subject: Security Update
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 20:04:11 -0400
From: "Activeworlds Support" <support at activeworlds.com>
To: <worldowners at activeworlds.com>

Dear World Owner,

In our continued effort to make sure we offer the highest quality software
to our customers, we have discovered a potential security hole in 3.2, 3.3
and 3.4 beta versions of the world servers and have released a new version
that eliminates this problem.

In order to protect your worlds, we will be making this a "forced upgrade"
to the 3.3 version in the AW Universe by close of business Wednesday August
14th.

It will be necessary for you or your hosting service to make sure you have
the most up to date version in order for your world to connect with the AW
Universe and for it to appear on the world list. Please make sure to
download the appropriate upgrade from these links and review the associated
help files. If you are using a hosting service, please forward this email to
them. They will be able to get any instructions needed either from those
links, or by emailing support at activeworlds.com

The fixed version is available here

Windows
http://objects.activeworlds.com/downloads/awswin43.exe

Linux 3.3
http://objects.activeworlds.com/downloads/awslnx43.tar.gz

Sun 3.3:
http://objects.activeworlds.com/downloads/awssun43.tar.gz

As always it is a wise idea to maintain a current static backup of your
world. This is useful if there is ever a need to restore your world. The
more current the backup the less building data you risk losing. If you do
not have a backup already, then the easiest way to make one is by:

1. Stopping the world server
2. Making a copy of the entire folder the world server is located in.

We apologize for the short notice and for any inconvenience this may cause
you.

Thank you for your continued support

the derek

Aug 14, 2002, 4:37am
i got it, but was wondering what security issues they were talking about
anyone know?

yes

[View Quote]

the derek

Aug 14, 2002, 4:48am
ok lemme rephrase that.. WHAT was wrong?

[View Quote]

eep

Aug 14, 2002, 6:00am
Yea, really; no need to be all hush-hush anal about it considering it's a "forced" upgrade anyway. Sheesh, Analnas...

[View Quote] > ok lemme rephrase that.. WHAT was wrong?

Watch your spelling, c.r. eep

wizard myrddin wiz@(remove

Aug 14, 2002, 7:21am
Proberly another major hole in the software that needs filling with plaster,
perhaps a world object password might be due again as aw.inc quote;

In order to protect your worlds, we will be making this a "forced upgrade""

considering as you state its a forced upgrade and some worlds will disapear
if they dont upgrade as they state;

It will be necessary for you or your hosting service to make sure you have
the most up to date version in order for your world to connect with the AW.

[View Quote]

wizard myrddin wiz@(remove

Aug 14, 2002, 7:36am
As a after thought if worlds have been at risk, has world passwords been
compromised, as it seems this to me reading the "emergency upgrade email"
that plastering concerns worlds and world owners.

AW.Inc exteamly insist that, " In order to protect your worlds"

If this is has been such a risk, what has been happening that involves total
upgrade to servers and client software?

Smells like a major secruity involvment the way I read it. Has anyone seen
aw acutally email world owners and tell them to upgrade or there worlds will
not be on the Universe list, ie refused connection?

[View Quote]

binarybud

Aug 14, 2002, 11:28am
talk about anal.....why would any person with common sense want to release the reason for a forced upgrade? Only reason i can think
of is to cause trouble. Eep your a package....first you scream cause people are "hacking" hehehhe your password...... then you
want people to tell others how to "violate" the same software......your the king of anal. When is the last time you heard the
"pop"?

Leo :)

ps; "pop" - that's the sound of your head coming out of your a**.

[View Quote]

grimble

Aug 14, 2002, 11:53am
Advertise a security hole in current software? With the idiots here that
think they're clever and funny? I think not.

[View Quote]

o0oiiijoshiiio0o

Aug 14, 2002, 12:37pm
And I hope not.

-J

[View Quote]

zeo toxion

Aug 14, 2002, 1:58pm
Funny how they don't seem it's important enough to actually post. Just
logging into AW you would have no idea that you need to upgrade.

--
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
A message from Zeo Toxion

[View Quote]

yanst

Aug 14, 2002, 7:07pm
I'm glad that when problems are found with the software, someone tries to
fix it.

[View Quote]

mongo

Aug 14, 2002, 7:41pm
Added as a click link on their website, linking to this page:

http://www.activeworlds.com/tech/upgrade.asp

looks like there's gonna be some pissed off world owners, but at least
they'll get the message from the website.

Yeah, there is a first time for everything (Pitty it takes Sleepy E to make em do it)
[View Quote]

jerme

Aug 14, 2002, 10:58pm
Yea, I was a little disturbed (not necessarily mad) when the first I heard
about this was from a couple of world owners I host for.....

Not a good deal....

When are the folks at AWI going to figure out that they *can* actully post
in NG's?

Maybe an automated mailing list (where you send an e-mail to an account
controled by a progam to signup, remove and edit your prefrences) for
pressing info would be better.

-Jeremy

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jeremy Booker - Owner

carlbanks

Aug 14, 2002, 11:42pm
Well....When are they gonna do forced upgrade.

--
-CarLBanks, 335711

Active Worlds 3.3 Build 419

[View Quote]

eep

Aug 15, 2002, 12:22am
Uh...no shit, Sherlock; thanks for competely missing my point and mindlessly regurgitating what is already known. Lovely...

[View Quote] > Proberly another major hole in the software that needs filling with plaster,
> perhaps a world object password might be due again as aw.inc quote;
>
> In order to protect your worlds, we will be making this a "forced upgrade""
>
> considering as you state its a forced upgrade and some worlds will disapear
> if they dont upgrade as they state;
>
> It will be necessary for you or your hosting service to make sure you have
> the most up to date version in order for your world to connect with the AW.

[View Quote]

zeo toxion

Aug 15, 2002, 1:12am
It says in the letter. Didn't you read it?

--
A message from Zeo Toxion

[View Quote]

carlbanks

Aug 15, 2002, 1:21am
Misread. Thought it was a browser update.

--
-CarLBanks, 335711

Active Worlds 3.3 Build 419