VB: Getting someones Co-ords... // Sdk

1  |

gamer

May 27, 2001, 7:55am
I would like to create a simple bot that keeps track of peoples exact
co-ordinates in my world, soon I'll then hope to create a larger program
using serveral bots to cover larger worlds...

Can anyone point in the right direction or supply some code? thanks...

-Gamer

kmissile583k

May 28, 2001, 3:17pm
Brant has something like that in the Actriveworlds Utility (The locater bot)
at www.shoemakervillage.org/programs.html

m a k a v e l i

May 28, 2001, 3:24pm
Private Sub sdk_EventAvatarChange()
AvName = sdk.AwAvatarName
AvX = sdk.AwAvatarX
AvY = sdk.AwAvatarY
AvZ = sdk.AwAvatarZ
End Sub

Works for me at least.

[View Quote]

trekkerx

May 28, 2001, 4:51pm
That just gets the person that last moved. Try to make a libary, and then when
a person enters, add there session number to it, and cords. then when it
changes, have it look up the session of the avatar that moved, and have it
edit that session. Then you got a libary of accurate locations. then if you
need the cords of a certan session later, you can look it up

[View Quote] > Private Sub sdk_EventAvatarChange()
> AvName = sdk.AwAvatarName
> AvX = sdk.AwAvatarX
> AvY = sdk.AwAvatarY
> AvZ = sdk.AwAvatarZ
> End Sub
>
> Works for me at least.

[View Quote]

m a k a v e l i

May 28, 2001, 8:42pm
Ok, if I get what your saying, it is just like I said, only under
sdk_EventAvatarAdd Sub too.

Also, if someone leaves, their session is still in the library, then you
have coords to an avatar that isn't there, what is the main purpose for this
anyway? All you need to do is record everything in a (dreaded) database or
the (stupid) registry or in a .txt or .ini file and the call it from there.

[View Quote]

gamer

May 28, 2001, 8:59pm
The purpous of the bot is that it keeps a list of all the people in range of
the bot and they're current co-ords...it must update like every second or
somthing i want very exact co-ords...

How do I go about creating session tables and libraries? I dont know how and
if I am to progress in programming i think i need to learn about it...

-Gamer

trekkerx

May 29, 2001, 7:36pm
Then make it delete the Avatar session from the libary. Thought you where smart
enoughf to figure something like that out. And only and idot would have it
record the data onto a text, or a Ini file.

[View Quote] > Ok, if I get what your saying, it is just like I said, only under
> sdk_EventAvatarAdd Sub too.
>
> Also, if someone leaves, their session is still in the library, then you
> have coords to an avatar that isn't there, what is the main purpose for this
> anyway? All you need to do is record everything in a (dreaded) database or
> the (stupid) registry or in a .txt or .ini file and the call it from there.

[View Quote]

trekkerx

May 29, 2001, 7:37pm
What im talking about will updade every time someone moves

[View Quote] > The purpous of the bot is that it keeps a list of all the people in range of
> the bot and they're current co-ords...it must update like every second or
> somthing i want very exact co-ords...
>
> How do I go about creating session tables and libraries? I dont know how and
> if I am to progress in programming i think i need to learn about it...
>
> -Gamer

grimble

May 29, 2001, 7:57pm
If you check out Brants's code that he made public a little while ago, you
will hopefully see what TrekerX is talking about. Even if you do not want to
use the actual code, it will show you one way to manage a session table.

As has been said, you add the session information when you get the Avatar
Add event, locate and change the stored attributes of the session when you
get an Avatar Change event and discad the information when you get the
Avatar Delete event.

The original post in this news group was
news:3b003724$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com. If that link doesn't work for you,
the post was on 14th May 2001 (not too far to look down the list really, is
it??), entitled "Free source code and classes".

The rest is just Visual Basic code which hopefully you can deal with on your
own. I haven't used brant's source code, but according to the above post, it
allows you to (and I quote) "Keep a session list with three lines of code".

Grims.

[View Quote]

grimble

May 29, 2001, 8:17pm
Awww Geesh, I don't believe it !!!

I've just seen that you even responded to brant's post 4 days later, so you
already know about this.

I rest my case with respect to all my previous comments about people who
can't be bothered to learn off their own backs!