Spy bot (Community)

Spy bot // Community

1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  8  |

Someone without world bot rights is using a bot in several
worlds. I checked the logs of several unrelated worlds that
have no bot rights entry in common, and all showed

Wed 02/20/02 18:21:44 68.15.23.167:1725 -1 CONNECTED
Wed 02/20/02 18:21:44 worldname 68.15.23.167:1725 -1 ENTER 30929 50
Wed 02/20/02 18:21:44 worldname 68.15.23.167:1725 -1 IDENTIFIED '[Search Spider]' 0 1
Wed 02/20/02 18:21:44 worldname 68.15.23.167:1725 1 EVENT MASK 0x0
Wed 02/20/02 18:21:44 worldname 68.15.23.167:1725 1 DISCONNECTED

It seems to have gone through the world list in alphabetical
order and stayed in each world only for seconds.

No "Not welcome" message, traceroute reveals nothing.

Any ideas?

--
"_

/\
\ /
__/ /_

maybe all world owners should set an ejection on this IP

Check http://68.15.23.167:82/, it is an AW web server

[View Quote] --
"_

/\
\ /
__/ /_

eric

Feb 21, 2002, 5:30am
If it's an awc bot, it most likely would be run under cit 1 (AWLD) which by
default has caretaker in every world (thus explaining why its welcome
everywhere). Ejecting the IP wouldn't do much good.

[View Quote]

robbie

Feb 21, 2002, 5:36am
oooh, omnimous. perhaps someone should contact AWC and ask why them why
their searching through wrolds?

Its not an issue until we find out what, if any information its taking from
each world.

-Robbie

I'm aware of this possibility, that's why I wrote
"without WORLD bot rights"

But it is not necessarily AWCom, it is an incomplete
copy of their entry page, but not the same server.

Maybe they should change their #1 password sometimes.

[View Quote] --
"_

/\
\ /
__/ /_

mrgrimm

Feb 21, 2002, 6:44am
The bot is building a search index, using the world name, title, and
keywords (3.3 feature). That IP is my dev server.

-MrGrimm/9 9 9

[View Quote]

johnny b

Feb 21, 2002, 9:53am
So you're saying this is YOUR bot Grimm ???
If so..... Don't you think it would have been nice if we world owners were
INFORMED of this ?? I know " I'D " like to know exactly what information
this bot gathered, as my worlds are CLOSED and PRIVATE...... and see no
reason as to why AWC needs to know the content of such......

Anyone else disturbed by this ?

[View Quote]

milesteg

Feb 21, 2002, 10:31am
hi Johnny,
are you sure his bot entered your world?
i host several worlds and this bot only entered in the green ones not the
private one

regards,
MilesTeg

"johnny b" <uniquect at optonline.net> a écrit dans le message de news:
3c74dfd1$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> So you're saying this is YOUR bot Grimm ???
> If so..... Don't you think it would have been nice if we world owners
were
> INFORMED of this ?? I know " I'D " like to know exactly what information
> this bot gathered, as my worlds are CLOSED and PRIVATE...... and see no
> reason as to why AWC needs to know the content of such......
>
> Anyone else disturbed by this ?

[View Quote]

milesteg

Feb 21, 2002, 10:38am
Hi MrGrimm,
could you tell us how your bot can enter worlds where it has no bot right?

Regards,
MilesTeg

"mrgrimm" <will at activeworlds.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
3c74b376$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> The bot is building a search index, using the world name, title, and
> keywords (3.3 feature). That IP is my dev server.
>
> -MrGrimm/9 9 9

[View Quote]

count dracula

Feb 21, 2002, 11:19am
Maybe the bot was lonely and bored and went worldhopping a bit....

johnny b <uniquect at optonline.net> kirjoitti
viestissä:3c74dfd1$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> So you're saying this is YOUR bot Grimm ???
> If so..... Don't you think it would have been nice if we world owners
were
> INFORMED of this ?? I know " I'D " like to know exactly what information
> this bot gathered, as my worlds are CLOSED and PRIVATE...... and see no
> reason as to why AWC needs to know the content of such......
>
> Anyone else disturbed by this ?

it's logged on on cit #1 and cit#1 has CT in all worlds in the universe, it
can do whatever it wants to. If the AWC go mad they can even change the
content of all worlds and change the rights and everything...

wouldn't it be a good idea to notify everyone of this? ppl don't like weird
bots coming in without any warning

dion

Feb 21, 2002, 2:01pm
Probably a one-time thing and won't happen again. Besides, if the bot is in
the world for just half a second, what could it possibly do to you? Does it
make you feel unsafe abourt your privacy? Even so, why would AWCom care
about what you're talking about?
[View Quote]

milesteg

Feb 21, 2002, 2:16pm
I am waiting for a response from MrGrimm.
No offense KAH but you are not working for AW so I doubt you can give us any
proof of what you re saying.
if it is what you said then MrGrimm will confirm that :)

if he doesn t answer, that would mean you could be right too .....

Regards,
MilesTeg

"kah" <kah at kahnews.cjb.net> a écrit dans le message de news:
3c7502e5 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> it's logged on on cit #1 and cit#1 has CT in all worlds in the universe,
it
> can do whatever it wants to. If the AWC go mad they can even change the
> content of all worlds and change the rights and everything...
>
> KAH

[View Quote]

punky feople

Feb 21, 2002, 3:01pm
I dont work for AW nor do I wish to but I did run OuterWorlds for 3 years
and what KAH is saying is correct. I ran the universe software for OW which
is an exact copy of AW's universe software and Cit 1 has all privies in
every world so anyone acquiring the privs of cit 1 can do anything even if
your world is private.

--
Thanks,
Derek Rayburn
derek at cyboria.com

[View Quote]

zeo toxion

Feb 21, 2002, 4:46pm
in one second in each world a bot with privs of citezin number one could
change everyones.....welcome message...? you never know bots work very fast.
It could also collect data about your world such as any sor of settings
althoguh i dont think it can qeury that fast. It could wipe out a world that
fastim pretty sure (though i dont think they are stupid enough to do that im
just saying its a possibility).

I'm not THAT worried about this although whoever owns it *coughcough* had
better tell us what they are up to before a riot starts.

-Zeo
(formerly Cozmo)

[View Quote]

zeo toxion

Feb 21, 2002, 4:47pm
oh something else....if the name is [Search Spider] maybe it was looking for
something? Perhaps a person or something? But using cit number 1 just to get
into privite worlds isnt such a good thign to do to the worldowners.

joeman

Feb 21, 2002, 5:16pm
If you read any of this at all, you would know its awc bot databasing all
the worlds for a new 3.3 search thing...

-Joe

[View Quote]

silenced

Feb 21, 2002, 5:45pm
joeman (Joeman at bootdown.com) wrote on Thursday 21 February 2002 02:16 pm:

> If you read any of this at all, you would know its awc bot databasing all
> the worlds for a new 3.3 search thing...

Hmm.. but why does it even need to enter the world? Nothing relevant could
be pulled from it really. Unless you're grabbing the welcome message or
something. In which case they should've posted something about this.

-Silenced

mrgrimm

Feb 21, 2002, 5:49pm
The bot only enters public worlds. It only looks at the world name (world
list), title (world attrib), and keywords (world attrib), nothing else.
These values are used for the world search page in AW3.3.

http://www.activeworlds.com/grimm/images/search_tab.gif
http://www.activeworlds.com/grimm/images/world_features.gif

-MrGrimm/9 9 9

[View Quote]

joeman

Feb 21, 2002, 5:50pm
As Grimm pointed out, it grabs the welcome message, title, and search
keywords from the world server. The search keywords are in +3.3 world
servers only. You cannot pull this information unless a bot enters a world.
Instead of adding some new protocol to have the world server push all of
this to the uniserver, I think AWC made the right choice and made a bot. I
think they just wanted to keep this under cover, until 3.3 came out. But,
you guys just had to ruin it ;). I don't think its that big of a problem,
at least they should have an option to have your world not databased.

-Joe

If the landlord sometimes came in and took some
snapshots of your appartement, it would take only
half a second. I agree, people should have been asked
or at least informed.

I still think that this IP should be banned from all
private worlds, but I'm not sure if this would help
against this ignorance of world owners privacy.

If someone would report abusive contents from a world,
this would be OK, but doing it just because he can do
it - I will better not say what I really think about
this, it could be my last posting here.

[View Quote] --
"_

/\
\ /
__/ /_

One bot command is enough, even in a large world :

http://www.activeworlds.com/sdk/aw_delete_all_objects.htm

[View Quote] --
"_

/\
\ /
__/ /_

joeman

Feb 21, 2002, 6:05pm
No, he's not doing it because he just can! He's doing it so the search
database can be updated. In 3.3 you can go in and type in a keyword.
Because of this bot, worlds matching that keyword will come up. If you ban
this bot, your world will not come up in that search. So, its your choice.
If you don't want your world included in this search, ban that IP. He's not
doing it because he can, he's doing it because its his job.

-Joe

[View Quote]

moff piett

Feb 21, 2002, 6:11pm
Sheesh what next, people complaining that the uniserver VIOLATES their world
server by STEALING information such as its world name and status and posting
it on a big list violating our privacy. (also this proves awcom is evil and
greedy).

The right choice would have been :

Make a web page where world owners can post what
they want to tell visitors.

If a world owner sets bot rights only for certain
people, this is mandatory, not just a proposal.
The bot rights entry is like the robots.txt file
on a web site, or the robots meta tag.

If there is no real and legal reason to break into
a world, it is illegal, not just bad manners.
It means, that MrGrimm (like microsoft too often)
grabs informations in a way he is not supposed to do.

[View Quote] --
"_

/\
\ /
__/ /_

joeman

Feb 21, 2002, 6:15pm
Your quick to judge. MrGrimm is doing his job. His JOB, your saying that
he should not do his JOB? This is absurd! Listen, I have been talking with
MrGrimm a little, and a new and improved system is coming where you can
limit the access to your world to the search spider, maybe. There is no
reason for what your doing, soon the search spider will be moved to an AWC
server, you block that, you block anyone working at AWC. I really think
your fighting a war that doesn't need to be fought. Please, just calm down
and collect yourself. Also, stop blaming people for doing their job!

-Joe

If there would not be a bot rights field in the world
options, it would be OK. But there is such an entry,
like your appartement door has a lock.
Is this lock just a proposal? Or do you allow the people,
who have the house master key, to come in without informing
you?

[View Quote] --
"_

/\
\ /
__/ /_

joeman

Feb 21, 2002, 6:22pm
Well, scratch that idea. AWC said that it will be run on citizen #1.
Still, they aren't stealing any thing, they are just databasing the title,
name, and keywords. If someone comes in, your views are that they are
stealing parts of your world then. All those things are sent to the browser
when it enters. Maybe you should ban everyone that enters? According to
you they are stealing parts of your world. Well?

-Joe

[View Quote]

1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  8  |