Whispers (Community)

Whispers // Community

1  |

foxmccloud

Jan 29, 2002, 4:33am
Just a question. Is there any way, via a cracked browser or something, to see whispers not directed at you, or are they sent
directly to the recipient? Do they have to travel through a server?

I'm not asking to actually do it, of course :) Someone claimed he could do that, and I seriously doubt it. Anyone knows?

Fox Mc Cloud

baron

Jan 29, 2002, 5:49am
AFAIK they go through the world server who redirects them to the specified session#. So you need a cracked world server to do that which obviously leaves out all AWC and AWC hosted worlds.

-Baron

[View Quote]

facter

Jan 29, 2002, 5:54am
[View Quote] There is absolutly no way that this can be done - not even with a cracked
browser.

F.

talian

Jan 29, 2002, 10:19am
Hi Fac. Sorry to say, as Baron mentions, it can be done.
[View Quote]

lumi

Jan 29, 2002, 11:10am
Yep baron is right

"talian" <talian at chicago3d.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:3c569368$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> Hi Fac. Sorry to say, as Baron mentions, it can be done.

Jan 29, 2002, 11:48am
emmm, hate to break this to u lot, but it aint accully possible throw a
browser, which was what fox was asking bout :) but throw a world server
maybe :) hell, what do i know?

SWE
I do what those who cant do what i can do dont wanna do.
www.emptyco.com

[View Quote]

baron

Jan 29, 2002, 12:21pm
I suppose Facter meant whispers can't be intercepted with a cracked client and he is correct in that. Any whisper hijacking has to be done on the server side since it's not a peer to peer communication nor a broadcast. Knowledge of the AW encryption protocol is required but as Roland once said if the exe is on your machine anything is possible.

-Baron

[View Quote]

mongo

Jan 29, 2002, 12:41pm
I talked to both Hamfon and Roland on this issue. I didn't totally
understand the exact specifics of how whispers are conveyed (session level,
IP based peer to peer, etc.), but the impression I was left with was this.
The world server client would have to be rewritten to intercept whisper
traffic happening within a world - and not just patched, major portions of
code would have to be rewritten to allow this practice. Needless to say,
this is not likely to happen in the near future, but it indeed is not
impossible.

[View Quote]

the joker ss

Jan 29, 2002, 1:04pm
i think some ppl can allready

"mongo" <mongo at alt.2600.comcrap> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:3c56b49f at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> I talked to both Hamfon and Roland on this issue. I didn't totally
> understand the exact specifics of how whispers are conveyed (session
level,
> IP based peer to peer, etc.), but the impression I was left with was this.
> The world server client would have to be rewritten to intercept whisper
> traffic happening within a world - and not just patched, major portions of
> code would have to be rewritten to allow this practice. Needless to say,
> this is not likely to happen in the near future, but it indeed is not
> impossible.

[View Quote]

talian

Jan 29, 2002, 1:31pm
Yes, you have to be in a world with the cracked world server for the owner
to be able to read whispers.
[View Quote]

mongo

Jan 29, 2002, 1:55pm
Then don't whisper in the worlds you suspect are compromised - take your
conversations to ICQ, a much more secure online chat venue <this is sarcasm
guys - :)>

[View Quote]

foxmccloud

Jan 29, 2002, 2:26pm
Yeah, probably through a cracked Worldserver. For this case however, the universe is cyberbrain and all worlds are hosted by them,
so there's no risk at all :)
Thanks to all who answered...

And, yes, you CAN do anything once the .exe is on your disk, but the Real Crackers / Script Kiddies ratio is getting lower every
day... that's my feeling anyway...
When someone says "1'm G0nN4 h4x0r Y4 j00 5uX3r!!" I just laugh in his face and give him my IP and email address, and I receive a
file named Surprise.exe in an email 3 days later with "Now you're gonna die !!! hahahahaha ! Ph34r !!!!!!!" in the message body.
(don't laugh, it actually happened)

Fox Mc Cloud