worlds and citizenships (Community)

worlds and citizenships // Community

1  2  3  |

trekkerx

Jan 5, 2002, 3:59am

Jan 5, 2002, 6:03am

[View Quote] --
Send all SPAMS, FLAMES, and CONSPIRACY THEORIES to smiller6 at uswest.net
Send all other IMPORTANT CORRESPONDENCE to scottydm at uswest.net
___
/////\\ Digitally Enhanced Portrait of:
{|-0-0-|} Scott D. Miller,
| % | Silicon Mercenary
\===/ Freelance Chip Designer

always #5 FOO = ~FOO; // the sound of a beating heart

lilalpha phalpha

Jan 5, 2002, 7:16am
Ummm last time i looked at OW, which was a few hours ago, thier cit prices
were $19.95US and thier world prices were exactly the same.... Did you check
to make sure what you were posting is true?

LilAlpha Phalpha

[View Quote]

lilalpha phalpha

Jan 5, 2002, 7:34am
World prices exactly the same as AW that is ;)

you're kidding? last time I was there the worlds were charged real high on a
monthly basis...

lilalpha phalpha

Jan 5, 2002, 7:03pm
Prices look the same to me :) http://www.outerworlds.com/worlds/

Lil

[View Quote]

scottydm

Jan 6, 2002, 6:54am
That is what I remember too KAH, they looked good until you realized it
was by the month. Also world sizes were pretty small, at the time I had
a PS8-XE which would be the size of a P20 now. I think that was the
biggest world on their list and it was quite a bit. There were quite a
few of what we would call here a P5.

Citizen prices have come down then, I remember $24.95. Not real high,
but a little bit higher (than it used to be).

ScottyDM

[View Quote] --
Send all SPAMS, FLAMES, and CONSPIRACY THEORIES to smiller6 at uswest.net
Send all other IMPORTANT CORRESPONDENCE to scottydm at uswest.net
___
/////\\ Digitally Enhanced Portrait of:
{|-0-0-|} Scott D. Miller,
| % | Silicon Mercenary
\===/ Freelance Chip Designer

always #5 FOO = ~FOO; // the sound of a beating heart

scottydm

Jan 6, 2002, 9:04pm
Well, I am completely wrong. At one time there prices were substantially
higher than AW's prices for a similar sized world. Now they are
precisely the same (at least for the few spot checks I made). See:
http://www.outerworlds.com/worlds/

And this is not some hidden page, I found it in "3D Store".

ScottyDM

(Now thinking of mirroring SkunkWks in OW)

[View Quote] --
Send all SPAMS, FLAMES, and CONSPIRACY THEORIES to smiller6 at uswest.net
Send all other IMPORTANT CORRESPONDENCE to scottydm at uswest.net
___
/////\\ Digitally Enhanced Portrait of:
{|-0-0-|} Scott D. Miller,
| % | Silicon Mercenary
\===/ Freelance Chip Designer

always #5 FOO = ~FOO; // the sound of a beating heart

You forgot :

And the IP is the same too now. I hope this will
not turn out as a problem for OW.

[View Quote] --
"_

/\
\ /
__/ /_

scottydm

Jan 6, 2002, 11:39pm
IP... Internet Protocol? Intellectual Property? (they don't fit)

[View Quote] --
Send all SPAMS, FLAMES, and CONSPIRACY THEORIES to smiller6 at uswest.net
Send all other IMPORTANT CORRESPONDENCE to scottydm at uswest.net
___
/////\\ Digitally Enhanced Portrait of:
{|-0-0-|} Scott D. Miller,
| % | Silicon Mercenary
\===/ Freelance Chip Designer

always #5 FOO = ~FOO; // the sound of a beating heart

IP for IP address

[View Quote] --
"_

/\
\ /
__/ /_

scottydm

Jan 7, 2002, 12:55am
oh? so AW Corp is hosting OW's Uniserver? sheesh, they want real money
for hosting

[View Quote] --
Send all SPAMS, FLAMES, and CONSPIRACY THEORIES to smiller6 at uswest.net
Send all other IMPORTANT CORRESPONDENCE to scottydm at uswest.net
___
/////\\ Digitally Enhanced Portrait of:
{|-0-0-|} Scott D. Miller,
| % | Silicon Mercenary
\===/ Freelance Chip Designer

always #5 FOO = ~FOO; // the sound of a beating heart

xelag

Jan 8, 2002, 6:54pm
Brant,

I really don't understand what you are talking about.

I'm a 53 year old male living on an invalidity pension for almost 20
years in Europe. I don't have a buck to spare. I have given 3 years
of my life dedicated to enhance this environment with all what I have.
I won't be able to pay what is asked. Unless I get a generous
sponsor, me and my bots will have to leave.

I have seen one mismanagement fiasco after the other. The golden
years of internet are gone, AW profited of them but did not learn.
The water fawcet is closing, and WE must now pay as a last resort. In
June, July and September, AW's income mainly from the sale of
universes has gone down by, yes, 73%... This points to a big big flaw
in AW's economical management. Maybe universes are overpriced, and do
not provide enough gaurantee of continuity for potential buyers, maybe
the service AW provides is not as expected by custommers. For
example, you buy a universe. You have the right to get free upgrades
the first year, after that you are on your own... but you are not:
universe licences are time locked, so you have to go back to AW for
renewal, which theoretically is free as long as you don't upgrade, but
the universe licence states:

"TERMINATION. AWCORP may, at its sole discretion, terminate this
Agreement, the license granted herein, and your right to use or access
the Software at any time. On termination, you must destroy all copies
of the Software. Termination may occur without warning if the Software
is used in activities considered illegal in the state of
Massachusetts, USA."

This is of course a normal statement, but when the licence code you
get is 'time locked", even if the web advertisement says:

"All Uniserver prices are a one-time fee. Software upgrades are free
for the first year and then 40% of the purchase price after the first
year."

this doesn't give any potential buyer any security they will be able
to continue their business. Combined with prices which are getting
out of range, and disilusioned universe-owners who don't see the
benefit claims suggested by AW or dreamt by themselves come true, at
this time of economical crisis it is no wonder that sales plummetted.

A review of their sales policy, and maybe a reconsideration to
re-invest in an internet pluggin (following Macromedia, Viewpoint,
Adobe, whom they should have beaten before they even started) would
be more sensible. How can you advertise a standalone browser? You
can, for an enhanced chat environment, but not for much else. The
browser has very limited capabilities: no interaction with the
environment: other applications, conversing with web pages (unless
they are in the built in browser), no gaming abilities... It remains
an excellent enhanced chat and 3D environment.

Upping our contribution by almost 600%; banning potential citizens...
and not to forget maybe the only source of revenue for people who
invested in AWCOM (think of the worlds in AW owned by foreign
nationalities, think of AWTeen!)... this does not seem to me to
compensate for what should be done to return to a healthy financial
policy. In fact, to me it looks more like lemming policy.

The only thing I personally think would help is if they listened to
various parties:

1. our community (as far as universe policy and 3D chat environment is
concerned)

2. the market, for what is really needed by busineses, and not merely
dream a dream and hope it will come true.

3. the programming team should be just that: a programming team. The
policy makers should make policy, sound policy.. This includes
doctoring the finances and keeping custommers happy, and it also
includes telling the programming team what they expect should be
programmed according to the policy.

4. we are the only custommers at present: universe buyers rely on US
too. If they don't get what they expect, they won't buy or renew
universes. There could be many more end-custommers (for example,
internet web users if web browser pluggins were developped), this
would attract business... but at the end of the day, it is WE, as
small consumers, who determine what we buy or not.

I love AW, I have been fascinated and still am by this community. If
it was in my power to work miracles, I would. Unfortunately, it is up
to AWCOM to do that, I wish them a lot of sensible thought and good
decision-making (not luck, the've had a lot of that already, luck came
and left).

I hope we all get out of this mess and can say next new year: Happy
New Year, AWCOM!

Sincerely,
XelaG

On 2 Jan 2002 19:14:40 -0500, "brant" <awteen at shoemakervillage.org>
[View Quote] >This is all true, Tony. Unfortunately, the poorly organized petition that's
>floating around now is not going to get the job done. What executive would
>listen to people who make posts like "F AWCOM over this!" I certainly
>wouldn't.
>
>What someone needs to do is write up a nice letter in a pleasant tone and
>mail it via snail mail to Activeworlds with his or her opinion. If many
>people wrote such letters, or even nicely written E-Mails, then AW would
>listen. But as it is, people aren't organized enough to get anything done.
>
>What's needed is someone with enough sense to lead the community to write
>reasonable letters. The person could act as recipient of all the letters,
>and then ship a large box filled with opinions to AW. But right now, that's
>not happening, and these petitions are only making things worse....

[View Quote]

xelag

Jan 9, 2002, 6:07pm
A correction on my previous post:

I have just received confirmation from universe/galaxy owner(s) that
AWCOM assures continuity of use of the universe server, even in the
case they would go bankrupt (which is not the case at present), and
that AWCOM does not interfere with the pricing structure of other
universes/galaxies. Good to know!

XelaG

blasto

Jan 9, 2002, 6:59pm
They did actually force DP to stop their free citizenships according to this
guy.

Here's the log that I had with one of the guys who work for DP from when I
asked for the free cit until now. First e-mail being most recent and last
being less recent. Don't pay attention to the times, my computer is screwed
up :-P

Take a look:

e-mail: GovDion at subdimension.com

THANK YA!