Departures. (Community)

Departures. // Community

1  |

facter

Sep 10, 2001, 5:42pm
Gday all,

Well, by now alot of you have in one way or another heard that as of today,
I am no longer working for Activeworlds Corp.

Firstly, I know you will all look for some big conspiracy, but in all
honesty there is none, these things happen in business, and sometimes
decisions need to be made for the betterment of all parties concerned. For
some time now, I have been dis-satisfied with my work for the company, and
it all came to a head this week. There are alot of reasons for this
dis-satisfaction, some I am willing to discuss and some I am not - and the
ones that I am not willing to discuss are in all honesty water under the
bridge now, they change nothing.

When I first got over here to work for AW over a year ago, I gave up alot. I
moved here from another country, left a relationship I was involved in, and
generally dropped my life back home to come and work with this software.
Alot of you thought I was in some way selling out my values, or going to
work for The Man, but in all my time here, I always upheld the one thing
that was foremost in my mind - that I wanted to help the community of
Activeworlds, and that the sacrifice was worth it to see if I could help
make a difference in soe, small way.

And I have. I have helped so many people, I have done what I wanted to do,
and hat was to support you guys. Thats all it was ever about, thats all I
really ever gave a fuck about, and it was last night, when all of this was
going down, that there was one thought in my mind - and in all honesty, I
wasnt even thinking aobut ymself..it was "what do I tell the
community?"..because, I kind of feel like I might of done something right by
you...oh sure, I'm sure I pissed some of you off every so often (eep ;) ),
but all in all, I believe that I have done a good job by all of *you* - and
regardless of what has happened, that is the one thing that I can hold on
to, and keep foremost in my mind.

You guys are so fucking great. Your all so diverse, you all have such rich
personalities, or in some cases, inane ones, but you are what makes up
Activeworlds. From the strange, to the great hearted, the community of
people that I have been in touch with on a daily basis has at times
frustrated me, and at times greatly warmed my heart....blah, I dont know
what to say really, except thankyou.

So, its time to move on. This is but one part of a greater journey that I
wanted to embark upon last year, and it was only one stage of a grander plan
that I wanted to start. In some ways, I have been stuck, and it was with the
death of my best friend in May, that really began to make me realise that I
needed to try and get on with those plans...but I felt stuck, and alot of
that manifested in what has happened in these past few days.

I have alot of projects that I work on outside of AW. I work in internet
broadcasting, with a global dance radio station,t hat is really taking
off...I work in the "Rave" and electronic music community, doing various
things...I write alot...and I have the one passion that has over ridden alot
of my creative endeavours these past few years, and that is my own music ,
which is beginning to get noticed by a larger audience, and which I believe
may be the thing that needs to be fully explored.

I will still be around Activeworlds, I will still help people if I can,
albeit not as much..haha, and you might even see me popping up ina few
stranger places....the reason I am sticking and will stay in AW? I've
invested 5 years of my lfie into it. I love 3D VR. I love the community as
strange and cantankerous as it is...and I know that there are some *big*
things coming up in the future of the software, that I really want to be
involved in ;)

My private email and address is below, links to my online diary and to my
music (have a listen if you havnt already, you might actually like it) are
there....and, well, there not much else to say really, except thankyou,
everyone, for your support, your at sometimes bullshit, and for jsut being
the community of Activeworlds.

--
==================================
I am Drunk of Borg. Resistance is floor tile.

cozmo

Sep 10, 2001, 5:49pm
well you were a great help while you were here. See you and i hope you have
a nice time wherever your going next.

-Cozmo

did they have to rent you in as a consultant to fix the NGs? Who messed them
up, was it Rick? JP? ;-))

KAH
PS. to all dumbos that think I just said "hey, Facter, did you mess up the
server on purpose?", I am NOT saying that, and NOOOOOOOOOT meaning that in
ANY way...

oooooh, forgot: thanx [who ever you are, the one that got the posting
permissions sorted]! ;-))

eep

Sep 10, 2001, 6:30pm
So what are the ones you're willing to discuss? You didn't discuss ANY in this post...

[View Quote] > Well, by now alot of you have in one way or another heard that as of today,
> I am no longer working for Activeworlds Corp.
>
> Firstly, I know you will all look for some big conspiracy, but in all
> honesty there is none, these things happen in business, and sometimes
> decisions need to be made for the betterment of all parties concerned. For
> some time now, I have been dis-satisfied with my work for the company, and
> it all came to a head this week. There are alot of reasons for this
> dis-satisfaction, some I am willing to discuss and some I am not - and the
> ones that I am not willing to discuss are in all honesty water under the
> bridge now, they change nothing.

moff piett

Sep 10, 2001, 7:10pm
yeah, you kept alluding to "the events".. but what happend?

wing.

Sep 10, 2001, 7:46pm
"Good evening, this is your captain speaking. Just gotta take care of a few
things here at the top of the flight. First, this is Activeworlds Airlines
flight 375 from Corperate America to The Real World. If you're not going
back to the real world, get the hell off of my plane.

Secondly, please take note that there are no exits on this plane. You will
be removed by men with welding torches once we land.

Third, I hafta talk about in-flight emergencies. In case of loss of
pressurization, a bong will drop from the ceiling. In case of a water
landing, the AW Community at large may be used as a flotation device and may
be counted upon to deliver you to dry land and get you back on your feet.

Finally, we will be departing as soon as I can weave this bird between all
the private jets that dotcom instant millionaires bought and found they
couldn't pay for and just left strewn all over the airfield. Thank you,
enjoy your flight"

[View Quote]

wing.

Sep 10, 2001, 7:47pm
BTW, update your message header unless they're lettin you keep that snazzy
email addy :)

LOL. Are you implying that the community at large is full of hot air and
thus can float? ;)
--
Chris
Eagle Scout, Philosopher, Peacemaker, and... Kung Fu Master?

[View Quote]

jfk2 builder

Sep 11, 2001, 5:09am
Well... I wouldn't say that ALL of AW community is full of Hot Air and
can Float... Just a few certain people i know are full of hot air and
can float. AND maybe someone else knows a few of them as well.
"sw chris" <chrisw10 at nckcn.com> wrote in
news:3b9d691d at server1.Activeworlds.com: