Everyone BEWARE (Community)

Everyone BEWARE // Community

1  |

honest man

Aug 13, 2001, 1:24am
Hello everyone. Today I have seen the bottom of the scams within Active
Worlds. I post this so that other users will not get hurt and so that AW
itself can be made aware of this sick thing. I am sure I will be flamed
but I am also aware that many read these words who do not post. I am
sure it will help many. I just want people kept aware and safe.

AWBingo started out as a great game. It still is except a huge scam has
corrupted it's fairness. The scam also works outside of AWbingo as well.
On the bingo part, I hope AW fixes the problem. On the part outside of
that game, only you the users can stop it.

Now I will explain. King Brian K, KBK, and his friends and family have
quite an operation going. They seem to have a way of winning more than
30% of the world prizes there. What they don't win themselves they get
from other players who win and give them the worlds. Quite a racket
because they use these worlds to take your money. I am sure AW did not
intend for this corruption to take place.

King Brian K says he will give you the bingo won world if you pay him to
host it. So he lures you inside to give him money for a free prize. The
problem is that the user gets burned as they pay him and he is hardly
computer literate or a host. Ask the hurt people he has already burned
and won't give the money back to. It is sad to see users loose their
property content because he uses a 100mhz broken machine. He won't
allow you to mail money. Maybe this is because he knows the Postal
Service will investigate for mail fraud? Hopefully Paypal will stop
allowing him use there.

If you want a world, buy it from AW or accept an honest bingo prize for
free from a friend. Don't fall for this lure. also ask AW to make bingo
fair by limiting prizes to one per IP address to avoid these type scams
from beginning.

If you seek a hosting company look for one who has been around a few
years. Ask for references of happy users. There are several honest hosts
around that have been in AW for years. Remember the age old words of
being 'too good to be true'

AW is a place to have fun. Be aware of the scams so your fun is not
stolen by them.

If you wish to use a host that is new, be sure to check that they really
have the tools and knowledge to operate properly. JBELL had tried to do
hosting but found that his ISP shut him down for it. It is normally not
allowed on home isp services. I am sure he was being honest in his
efforts and he admitted he could not do it in honesty. I respect JBELL
for that honesty on his part.

Beware of the cheapest price as well. In the history of Active Worlds it
appears there have been many new fly by nights who offered free or
cheap hosting. Problem has been they either can't afford to keep it
going or they loose interest in doing so. If I am wrong then please show
me a free world host that has been successfully operating for over a few
months time? Are there any over a year old? 4 years in AW and I know of
none.

This has been a long post but this is a community and a community has an
obligation to keep it's streets clean so to speak. Now if this service I
spoke of had been honest and trying to really help people I would not
have mentioned their user name, well the few I knew of that is. I
respect anyone who honestly tries. I will never respect one who starts
out with a dishonest approach as King Brian K has.

If there have been any young people hurt by this scam, please speak to
your parents or teachers about it. If adults have been hurt, please
write to AW about it. If the man is honest then I hope he does the right
thing and gets a legitimate service before he takes people's hard earned
money or hurts their builds because of inexperience and crashes. And for
AWBingo players, maybe you could write AW and ask if this is what they
had in mind when they spent the time making the great game and offering
the great prizes. I don't think it was. My opinion that is.

Be careful out there in VR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

john viper

Aug 13, 2001, 1:45am
[View Quote] > If you want a world, buy it from AW or accept an honest bingo prize for
> free from a friend. Don't fall for this lure. also ask AW to make bingo
> fair by limiting prizes to one per IP address to avoid these type scams
> from beginning.

From the sounds of things, he probably has a dynamic IP anyways...

--
John Viper (#296714)
jviper at jtsoft.net
http://www.jtsoft.net

"Life on Earth may be expensive, but it does include a free trip around
the sun..." -anonymous

Thanks for the tip. Flame? Only when you have nothing useful to say. :)

Also... one per IP address prize limit would not work very well at all.
There is such a thing called Dynamic IP. Most modem users have it. How
about one per cit number? That way scam artists are at least paying
something for their free prize. But then again... what fun is Bingo if you
can only win once? It's people like this that make me sick.

Does anybody smell a "rat"? More like a cyber-rackateer...

SW Chris

[View Quote]

sw comit

Aug 13, 2001, 5:23am
There's some kinda hack you can get for AW that let's you open more than 1
AW window. If you own multiple accounts, and most world owners do, you can
raise your odds in bingo. I bet that happens a lot. Ever notice how quiet
a lot of people are there?

One prize per IP/citnum/whatever wouldn't be fun anymore. And if he sells
ppl worlds, you can't really tell him to stop, can you? even though HE
didn't pay for it, it has a VALUE. So it's not unfair as you say. but if he
DOESN'T host it or something like that, you can't call it unfair, you call
it fraud.

[View Quote] KAH

anduin lothario

Aug 13, 2001, 11:20am
I've tried that, but I think they added a feature that detects IP addresses,
meaning you can't cheat and use two cards...

Unless of course, you have a 2nd system and ISP account... <cough cough>
--
,,,,,
(o o)

--==[(/ ÅñÐûïÑ LøTHåRïø \)]==--
http://www.anduin-lothario.com
--==[(/ ÅñÐûïÑ LøTHåRïø \)]==--
[View Quote]

builderz

Aug 13, 2001, 11:31am
Yes, AL is correct. They have put measures in place to fix that.
However, like AL said, if you have multiple static IP addresses, a
second computer, and a second citizenship, you can also raise your
chances of winning. I wonder how the bot handles multiple users on a LAN
that uses NAT, since they all have the same "outside" IP address.

Builderz
Stuff-X - Bot & World Hosting Services
http://aw.stuff-x.com/
PGP Key ID: 0xAC0E7073 (for non-commercial use)

[View Quote]

agent1

Aug 13, 2001, 11:41am
I've tried this, and it doesn't allow more than one person from the same LAN if their (external) IP address is the same.

lanezeri

Aug 13, 2001, 2:21pm
King Brian K's hosting services suck, he runs on Windows 98 (SE which is
totally fucked compared to the first edition) therefore a UNstable OS.. then
his service blinks all the damn time (see below). He has nothing for
hosting.. I went in as a person whom wanted my world hosted and asked what
all he had to offer and it was all crap.. he had crap to offer.. so the
point of this post is to tell the people who have him host their world that
they are idiot..

Blink - When the ISP (somewhat) stops for a very short period of time.

[View Quote]

j b e l l

Aug 13, 2001, 4:15pm
Limiting prizes by IP is totally unfair, I've been a cit for years.. I would have already used up my limit and not get to win, while
a person who has been on the same time and has a dynamic ip can still win.. that puts me at an unfair disadvantage.

Legal and ethical are two diffferent things. :)

SW Chris

[View Quote]

jfk2 builder

Aug 15, 2001, 6:44pm
You want Some proof?
Well.... I've had RPG world since 11/2000 and it's allread the middle
of 08/2001 and it expires 11/21/2001 With my other friend i have hers
too... Petzcity I picked up here 04/17/2001 and it won't expire until
04/17/2003 YES... I'm FREE world hosting. YES... I' running all of
these on my personel computer. YES... I've been hosting for friends. I
was doing Elysium from 02/24/2001 up until the world owner decided to
take it himself 07/15/2001 and he has it since.

SO yes... I've been doing it for over a few months. For a year...
To be honest. NO. I hope to... But for right now... NO
And that is being as honest i can be.
I'm running through Time Warner [AOL] Cable RoadRunner service in
Central New York State. They have no problems with any of us running
servers PAID or otherwise on their services.

I'm the type of person that saves all of my worlds files way back to
when i first started to host it. So if the world owner says one day...
You remember how this looked back in 02/2001? YUP... Do you have a
file for this world that far back? YUP Please use that. OK

Do i get PAID for this? NOPE. Well... In a way i do... It helps
create friends. And when they see you can be trusted with something
like running their world... Helps farther down the road someday...
Maybe.

"honest man" <nospamtome at private.com> wrote in
news:3B774821.B2ED3B0A at private.com:

> [...]
> service I spoke of had been honest and trying to really help people I
> would not have mentioned their user name, well the few I knew of that
> is. I respect anyone who honestly tries. I will never respect one who
> starts out with a dishonest approach as King Brian K has.
>
> If there have been any young people hurt by this scam, please speak
> to your parents or teachers about it. If adults have been hurt,
> please write to AW about it. If the man is honest then I hope he does
> the right thing and gets a legitimate service before he takes
> people's hard earned money or hurts their builds because of
> inexperience and crashes. And for AWBingo players, maybe you could
> write AW and ask if this is what they had in mind when they spent the
> time making the great game and offering the great prizes. I don't
> think it was. My opinion that is.
>
> Be careful out there in VR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jfk2 builder

Aug 15, 2001, 7:34pm
I'm running WIN98se...
Yes... I do admit that sometimes i do lock up...
And i have to REBOOT...
But let me tell you what i'm doing....

1 - Run 2 worlds now [ALL FOR FREE]
2 - 4 open windows to my drives. [2 of them are general windows, 1 is
the games window & that points to the other universes that i'm a member
of & one is the utility window menu]
3 - My Notetab Light [FREEWARE -
Thank You Kellee for suggesting this to me]
4 - My E-Mail PREVIEW
program [any Stupid JUNK mail i can delete off the host server WITHOUT
ever downloading it first. It's great for a FIRST FILTER as i don't
ever download the junk & only download what I want] [FREEWARE]
5 - 2 Preston v33 bots for midi playing at some locations i have
[FREEWARE]
5a - Sometimes either my xylgot bot for World Backups in
worlds i do not own or host [IE, Beta World, Someone elses world...etc]
OR my chatbot and that is used for CIT # lookups, And object seeds in a
baren land OR my BUILD BOT... [After i BOT COPY someones build OR
someones world and i want to re-create it in another world] [FREEWARE]
6 - Xnews = That is what i use to make this reply with. [FREEWARE]
7 - Sometimes my FOX E-Mail program [FREEWARE]
8 - AW [Can't forget about that can I...
9 - From 1 - 4 open IE websites
10 - Sometimes i try to run my WinAmp and either listen to
WWW.AWRADIO.COM = Danny 2K show OR Playing many of the new MP3's that
either I or my friend nextdoor got for me & are now on CD's [FREEWARE]
10a - OR I'm BROADCASTING on WWW.LIVE365.COM [JFKMusic Radio]
[FREEWARE]
11 - And whatever else i can think of...

NOW you must realize that i have a very powerful system here...
P2 366 mhz on 128 megs of RAM with 5 HD's running WIN98se...

Now you can see why i LOCK-UP sometimes... and even i have to REBOOT.
But when i reboot... SCANDISK.EXE has 5 Hard Drives it chacks before i
can even get back on the internet. BUT yes... I can run for the most
part 24/7 the worlds that i do run... And i run them extreamly well.
So far i haven't had any complaints.

YES... WIN98se is a stupid OS... But then WIN2000 dosen't allow me to
run my MS-Dos games too well... Not to mention my QBASIC games & i
have about 1 GIG of those. And it dosen't allow me to have my old BBS
On-Line Doors running for friends to play either... So I'm still
waiting for a better OS to come out that will be CONSUMER and Not
BUSINESS friendly.

"lanezeri" <Lanezeri at yahoo.com> wrote in
news:3b77fe83$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> King Brian K's hosting services suck, he runs on Windows 98 (SE which
> is totally fucked compared to the first edition) therefore a UNstable
> OS.. then his service blinks all the damn time (see below). He has
> nothing for hosting.. I went in as a person whom wanted my world
> hosted and asked what all he had to offer and it was all crap.. he
> had crap to offer.. so the point of this post is to tell the people
> who have him host their world that they are idiot..
>

> Blink - When the ISP (somewhat) stops for a very short period of
> time.

[View Quote]

insanity

Aug 15, 2001, 10:52pm
jfk2 builder is King Brian K? And btw, since when is an antiquated p2 366
a powerhouse? Only 128k ram, no wonder you lock up. Given the low amount of
ram combined with buggy freeware it should be most expected. Now a 366 is
enough for AW yes, but hardly a server. Start looking up what servers are.
I don't recall a PC (personal computer) ever falling into a server class
machine. Maybe I misunderstood you and you were explaining why you lock up
is because you don't have a sever and run an old machine as one.

[View Quote] > I'm running WIN98se...
> Yes... I do admit that sometimes i do lock up...
> And i have to REBOOT...
> But let me tell you what i'm doing....
>
> 1 - Run 2 worlds now [ALL FOR FREE]
> 2 - 4 open windows to my drives. [2 of them are general windows, 1 is
> the games window & that points to the other universes that i'm a member
> of & one is the utility window menu]
> 3 - My Notetab Light [FREEWARE -
> Thank You Kellee for suggesting this to me]
> 4 - My E-Mail PREVIEW
> program [any Stupid JUNK mail i can delete off the host server WITHOUT
> ever downloading it first. It's great for a FIRST FILTER as i don't
> ever download the junk & only download what I want] [FREEWARE]
> 5 - 2 Preston v33 bots for midi playing at some locations i have
> [FREEWARE]
> 5a - Sometimes either my xylgot bot for World Backups in
> worlds i do not own or host [IE, Beta World, Someone elses world...etc]
> OR my chatbot and that is used for CIT # lookups, And object seeds in a
> baren land OR my BUILD BOT... [After i BOT COPY someones build OR
> someones world and i want to re-create it in another world] [FREEWARE]
> 6 - Xnews = That is what i use to make this reply with. [FREEWARE]
> 7 - Sometimes my FOX E-Mail program [FREEWARE]
> 8 - AW [Can't forget about that can I...
> 9 - From 1 - 4 open IE websites
> 10 - Sometimes i try to run my WinAmp and either listen to
> WWW.AWRADIO.COM = Danny 2K show OR Playing many of the new MP3's that
> either I or my friend nextdoor got for me & are now on CD's [FREEWARE]
> 10a - OR I'm BROADCASTING on WWW.LIVE365.COM [JFKMusic Radio]
> [FREEWARE]
> 11 - And whatever else i can think of...
>
> NOW you must realize that i have a very powerful system here...
> P2 366 mhz on 128 megs of RAM with 5 HD's running WIN98se...
>
> Now you can see why i LOCK-UP sometimes... and even i have to REBOOT.
> But when i reboot... SCANDISK.EXE has 5 Hard Drives it chacks before i
> can even get back on the internet. BUT yes... I can run for the most
> part 24/7 the worlds that i do run... And i run them extreamly well.
> So far i haven't had any complaints.
>
> YES... WIN98se is a stupid OS... But then WIN2000 dosen't allow me to
> run my MS-Dos games too well... Not to mention my QBASIC games & i
> have about 1 GIG of those. And it dosen't allow me to have my old BBS
> On-Line Doors running for friends to play either... So I'm still
> waiting for a better OS to come out that will be CONSUMER and Not
> BUSINESS friendly.
>
> "lanezeri" <Lanezeri at yahoo.com> wrote in
> news:3b77fe83$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

jfk2 builder

Aug 16, 2001, 1:13am
I remember back in 1987 when BBS Servers if you want to call them a
server were the hotest way to obtain your files & caht and messages &
even MAIL... No one really cared that you only had a 500 MEG hard
drive... And sometimes you had 1.2 GIGS of drive space.... Geesh....
You must have paid $5000 for such a fine system running on 16 megs of
ram back then... WOW!!!!... Heck... I rad a bbs back then on all
212 megs of a hard drive... Actually i ran 2 of them... TINY BBS [the
first one] ran STKeep Bbs software. [That meanst ST - Keep as in
Atari-ST conputers] and that was on a real power house computer of it's
day... Mega STe running TOSS 1.6 [Atsri-ST OS is TOSS v#.#]
and it had all of 2.5 megs of RAM and a 80 meg hard drive and running
24/7 and had bbs door games & i had TONS of Atari ST software &
messages And MAIL. Later when i went HIGH-TECH... It was on a 386 DX 33
mhz and 16 megs of ram and 212 megs of hard drive... WOW!!!. still
kept the name of TINY BBS but now riunning Jet10BBS - Jet50BBS software
and doors, messages & MAIL & this time.... FIDONET messages & MAIL...
WOW!!!!! again it was a 24/7 bbs... BUT this time... I did one small
inprovement... While the board was NOT being used [Board is a term
for BBS] and using the SYSOP DROP TO DOS [That means like in many
ms-dos programs you get a ms-dos prompt] But then i would use the "F"
keys for my old TELIX program and call out. But then i got smart and
installed a BBS Line... So the bbs was on one 24/7 line & the house was
on another line... BUT no one bothered to ask what type of server you
had... That was left for the hot shot companies...
I was just concerned with nmaking my bbs calls & running a 24/7 bbs on
my computer. Had 2 modem hookups... [BOTH EXTERNAL OF COURSE]
One 56k for 24/7 bbs & the other for my home use.
One on Com port #1 the other on com port #2 and the MOUSE was com port
#3 Ahhhh.... Good days.....
My ancient history days of calling bbs's all over the place.
I would have to say that 99% of these don't work anymore...
But i haven't bothered to try to see if any of them work...
As i can TELNET into bbs's all over the world now...
AND yes folks... Many of them are STILL on CRAPY old computers
but we don't care... As long as it WORKS... Server or not...
It WORKS.... and we are happy.

Area Code 1 - 315 - ### - ####
Calling inside that area is was just
plain old ### - ####
-----------------------------------
LONG DISTANCE #1
1 - [area - 315] ### - ####
LONG DISTANCE #2
Before the days of 10 - 10 - ####
it was just plain old
10 - ####
so that would look to you as
10 - #### - Area 315 - ### - ####

You will notice by some of these old
BBS phone numbers... I called all
over the USA and had a really large
phone bill and that was calling
after 11 pm EASTERN my time
Needless to say... DON'T CALL MY OLD
HOME PHONE... I DON'T LIVE THERE
ANYMORE... And i don't know who has it now.
-----------------------------------
One Note... IN STATE but LONG DISTANCE
It used to be
1 - ### - ####
Using the old 10 - #### it looks like
10 - #### - ### - ####

Park IBM#1 28.8 689-7729
parkbbs new fone 689-1351
CNYPCUG 455-5806
HamNet-I b4 2a aftr 6a 682-1824
KBC 446-4153
Dragon's Cave #1 *DL* 598-7375
Dragon's Cave Line-2 598-2485
Ice Castle 633-0046
Hidey Hole 668-8929
Fear WAREZ - BBS 472-5726
Extravaganza 454-8622
Dreamscape 458-3482
DREAMSCPE QWK!!!!! 458-3482
DREAMSCAPE 458-3166
DREAMSCAPE 458-3482
DRMSCP-GATE-2 452-1381
DRMSCP-GATE-3 452-1394
DREAMSCAPE-Inet 458-3482
DREAMSCAPE-Inet2 458-3166
EXCALLABER 1010333736767
NITE-AIR 339-8831
I'M WACKY 2 343-8366
Syracuse Newspaper 470-2027
STR-REPORT 19047864176
YT33 Al's Cabin 17176863037
DRG 16039243181
ERIC'S PRIDE & JOY 4238684
Concentric Network 498 5300
jerryIBM's = DIAMOND 423-8684 - Home Phone
jerryIBM-NICE CNC 498 5300 - BBS PHONE
EDS CASTLE [IBM] 4524658
FROSTBITE [IBM] 5987691
PARADISE CITY 668-8171
The Westside 12139359600
L.A.COMPUTER SOCIETY 13108278171
Target-Range 1028813106348993
Downtown 1028812134840260
Photo-Pro 1028812132277127
ServTech 454 0968
cnypcug 455 5806
EDS CASTLE [IBM] 4524658
FROSTBITE [IBM] 5987691
PARADISE CITY 668-8171
The Main Shop 1028819092794296
Expiring Mind 1028812138749484
The Crow's Nest 1028812139621428
SoCalnet 1028813106344885
Long Island 1028813103704113
The Westside 12139359600
L.A.COMPUTER SOCIETY 13108278171
Target-Range 1028813106348993
Downtown 1028812134840260
Photo-Pro 1028812132277127
EcTECH 96-14.4 1028819097809871
The Night-Line 1028816023290691
The MOONMAN 15015656868
The Main Shop 1028819092794296
EcTECH 12-24bd 1028819097805175
EcTECH 96-14.4 1028819097805672

YES FOLKS... I called into LA California
and into Long Island NY [near NY City]
and into Texas, and Georgia
and ST Report is located in the STATE
of FLORIDA
and PA...
And to think... These were bbs SERVERS back then too...
and now days people complain when you try to run a server for
FRIENDS and you do so on your own personel computer and at your OWN
expense and Equipment...
Geesh... Must be you missed the good old days of bbsing...
Those were the OLD CRAPY COMPUTER's back then...
But it sure was fun

"insanity" <peace at nospam.com> wrote in
news:3B7B18B9.2CCE8249 at nospam.com:

> jfk2 builder is King Brian K? And btw, since when is an antiquated
> p2 366 a powerhouse? Only 128k ram, no wonder you lock up. Given the
> low amount of ram combined with buggy freeware it should be most
> expected. Now a 366 is enough for AW yes, but hardly a server. Start
> looking up what servers are. I don't recall a PC (personal computer)
> ever falling into a server class machine. Maybe I misunderstood you
> and you were explaining why you lock up is because you don't have a
> sever and run an old machine as one.

LOL. RAM I don't think has anything to do with it. It would be Window's
16-bit platform that causes the instability.

SW Chris

[View Quote]

lanezeri

Aug 19, 2001, 4:53pm
If you host, you should have a diff computer to play games on, NOT the
hosting computer, that way you don't screw up the hosting service..

jfk2 builder

Aug 20, 2001, 1:05pm
That is true.. You should have MORE than one computer for the server.
BUT how many people have the $$$ for a spare computer just doing
servers? And i'm not all that rich. Maybe someday... but not right
now... So the one home computer has to make do for both a game machine
& a server. BUT that is where someone needs to realize that and do
things NOT to jepordise the running servers all that much.

"lanezeri" <Lanezeri at stuff-x.com> wrote in
news:3b800b27 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> If you host, you should have a diff computer to play games on, NOT
> the hosting computer, that way you don't screw up the hosting
> service..

lanezeri

Aug 20, 2001, 5:58pm
Then don't tell us it's your computer's fault your hosting sucks, it's your
fault for playing games while hosting.

[View Quote]

jfk2 builder

Aug 24, 2001, 1:56am
But i love my 3D Pinball games, My QBASIC Games, My old bbs DOOR games
[all running WITHOUT a bbs BUT with all the key files to make them work
correct... = All Ms-Dos BATch file menues & all BATch files control the
door drop files correct], And all of my running BOTS [I LOVE those
things too], and all of my other universes i'm a citizen of, And my
Radio Broadcasting, MP3's, And TESTING [beta testing] various companies
software... Can i help it if i crash once every so often? Of course
i can't. but it does occur....

"lanezeri" <Lanezeri at stuff-x.com> wrote in
news:3b816bd4$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com: