mgib // User Search

1  2  |

Wishlist FAQ?

Dec 16, 1998, 9:47pm
--------------7BD2B078E8F3F41A477A8ED7

Because you gonna tell us how to build a community? You are talking of
business or community? What's this community where users are ignored?
And stop this lame argument we have heard so many times mixing up AW and
COF. As if you don't like the management , you don't like the product.

[View Quote] > OK, been back in the NG 2 days and look at the replies I have got.
> Shows how serious some of you guys are about building community...I
> don't mind debating other points of view, but 'cause I like AW and the
> (admittedly imperfect but still progressive) ideas of COF doesnt make
> me an idiot. Fluxen: Are you new here? :) MGIB: Why new? There always
> been from time to time some sycophants poping in ngs with the same
> style and same arguments. The Cheese: hehe 8-) Lets bring this newbie
> to school 8-) EEP: Woo, your newness (renewness? awayness?) is
> DEFINITELY showing. Please try and stay current and informed before
> looking lame. What crack you smoking? Better trace your AW history at
> http://tnlc.com/mauz/history.html and learn a little...

--------------7BD2B078E8F3F41A477A8ED7

<HTML>
Because you gonna tell us how to build a community? You are talking of
business or community? What's this community where users are ignored?&nbsp;
And stop this lame argument we have heard so many times mixing up AW and
COF. As if you don't like the management , you don't like the product.
<BR>&nbsp;

[View Quote] --------------7BD2B078E8F3F41A477A8ED7--

Wishlist FAQ?

Dec 17, 1998, 11:43am
[View Quote] > Ok so you have a right to your opinion. I am just saying if it serves no
> purpose then to distract from our current discussion, and state your
> complaints, please post it into a diff thread called "COF pisses me off" or
> SOMETHING. :) Thanks

You missed it. As this wishlist ng is just about talking to a deaf wall without
any concern shown here by COF, it's already a "COF pisses me off (into the
wind)" ng.
They hadn't time yet to change the name, that's all.:)

Wishlist FAQ?

Re: Wishlist FAQ? - Community?
la date:
Thu, 17 Dec 1998 22:45:58 +1100
De:
"David Watt" <watt at cia.com.au>
A:
"mgib" <mgib at worldnet.fr>

if you dont like the management, raise some capital and buy the rights
to the product. lets see you do a better job. easy to shoot your
mouth
off when its not your money up there.
-------

Curious how someone who started a thread in a public place suddenly
switches to arguments by private mail.
I understand somehow. You felt your arguments might be lame enough so
not to stand for them in public.

This is a very common practice for a company to answer to complaints
from customers by saying "try to do my job, and let's see if you can do
better".
It's welknown a company runs with its own money, not with the one of
its customers, so customers have no rights to feel concerned about the
service *they* paid for.

Errr.. you really know anything about business, or you are just trying
to bluff us?

Now to spare you a new mail, here is the usual following lame argument
you should be supposed to use:
"If you don't like it , leave it and ask to be refunded."
You don't like my car? Buy a japanese one! Now, THAT'S business LOLOL!!

Wishlist FAQ?

Dec 17, 1998, 8:31pm
[View Quote] > sorry about that, wrong button. happy to share discussion in public.

OK.

> What besides my MBA?
> What besides running my own management consulting company?

Don't ask me! Do you usually propose to people consulting you to use the "try
to do it better" and "this isn't your money" argument for their customers?? :)

> No, I wouldn't tell you to "vote with your feet". All organisations must be
> company focussed, and I grant COF aren't living up to your expectations.
> What i am saying is that they have to balance a number of competing
> priorities, including making money, so that YOU are not going to be their
> main focus.

I can get that. The problem is users aren't even a minor focus for them.
Besides the fact they always pretended (and still do) they aren't a normal
business company, but users who bought AW so users feel like AW owners.

> Just because you bleat a lot, doesn't make you representative
> of all customers either. Just cut them some slack, and realise that its
> their show and they move the development forward in the direction and at the
> pace they need to not how YOU need them to.

You really should consider being away for so long you missed some chapters
here. I'm not sure you are in a position to be arrogant and explain others how
to behave. The only thing you succeed in is looking like the idiot you were
afraid to look like. Read back, learn back.

Wishlist FAQ?

Dec 17, 1998, 8:39pm
All this has been tried unsuccessfully. learn back.

And read this too: http://home.on.rogers.wave.ca/compend/protag.html

[View Quote] > So, after the flames, who has some ideas on setting up a FAQ?

> By having it vailable on an AW website, with a once a month post here saying
> (read the FAQ at ...) it will prevent "newbies" like me from opening old
> wounds.
>
> You can even include right at the top of the FAQ that COF doesn't actually
> respond to the wishlist if that makes you happy.
>
> I would really like to explore some of the development issues for AW, and
> the wishlist faq and associated wish "voting and comment" idea is good.
> allows us to actually work through some of the issues in detail associated
> with each wish that
>
> We can even channel some of the negative energy in the NG to playing devil's
> advocate for each wish, highlighting technical and practical difficulties,
> which the NG can have thought through before hitting COF with them.

[View Quote]

A way ahead?

Dec 19, 1998, 3:38am
:) And anyway, they woudln't understand a word to what is said! LOL! Hey
dude! You aren't talking to businessmen, be simple in your advise. Actually
what they first need to be told is:

Be modest. Stop bragging about what you can't afford. You just lose trust
of your customers. Why a wishlist if you ignore it. Better no wishlist.

Save your time playing the gods with the community to focus on your
business; software. It's fun for sure, but playing with the train set when
your job is to sell some isn't good practice. Besides the fact you have no
skill to deal with a community. Do the owner and programmers of Quake try to
interfer and control their customers in the game?

[View Quote] > don't wanna burst yer bubble, but yer not the first to propose any of
> this... not even the 2nd or third. Believe me- an awful lot of
> professional corporate/consultant types have come through with big
> ideas, but unless you've got considerable capitol to invest, you might
> as well write your posts on toilet paper and chuck it out the window for
> the wind to deliver... (and to continue another thread- it's not that
> you're new in this ng, it's that you *come across* as a know-it-all that
> really doesn't know much.) lurk & learn :-)
>
> grover

[View Quote]

AW Frequently Wished Wishes-list

Jan 12, 1999, 4:39am
--------------9F013CD7F4F5F01206748F92

I dunno if this would be the clue to my problem, I know many have and
has been discuss here = while with a much more powerful machine the
fluidity of AW becomes acceptable, I have these regular freezing periods
of several seconds. Imagine you buy a new car to go faster, and it does,
but stalls every ten miles. But if it would solve it, I'd second that.

[View Quote] > OK in deference to Eep, I would like to vote for this feature as a
> high priority One solution if COF are wedded to Renderware might be an
> alternate browser to reader the server data, render it in hardware and
> display in fullscreen mode. Might be too difficult though given COF's
> programmer power at the moment. In general AW lags behind other 3D
> software, especially games such as TR3. A full screen hardware
> rendered environment could include the dialog on screen, but use a
> separate browser and alt-tab if required?

22 A better 3D engine Improvements to AW in 0
general votes
A 3D engine that supports all major 3D acceleration cards. Also, AW
should be able to run in full screen when you want so, with the tab
bars and menu items still on screen, like the status bar at the bottom
of the screen in most 3D games. This would enable switching to lower
resolutions, and thus speeding up everything. When working in other
programs while AW-ing, you should be able to switch back to windowed
mode.

--------------9F013CD7F4F5F01206748F92

<HTML>
<BODY BGCOLOR="#FFFFFF">
I dunno if this would be the clue to my problem, I know many have and has
been discuss here&nbsp; = while with a much more powerful machine the fluidity
of AW becomes acceptable, I have these regular freezing periods of several
seconds. Imagine you buy a new car to go faster, and it does, but stalls
every ten miles. But if it would solve it, I'd second that.

[View Quote] <TR>
<TD WIDTH="10%"><B>22</B></TD>

<TD WIDTH="40%"><B>A better 3D engine</B></TD>

<TD WIDTH="40%"><B>Improvements to AW in general</B></TD>

<TD WIDTH="10%"><B>0 votes</B></TD>
</TR>

<TR>
<TD COLSPAN="4" WIDTH="100%">A 3D engine that supports all major 3D acceleration
cards. Also, AW should be able to run in full screen when you want so,
with the tab bars and menu items still on screen, like the status bar at
the bottom of the screen in most 3D games. This would enable switching
to lower resolutions, and thus speeding up everything. When working in
other programs while AW-ing, you should be able to switch back to windowed
mode.</TD>
</TR>
</TABLE>
&nbsp;</BLOCKQUOTE>
&nbsp;
</BODY>
</HTML>

--------------9F013CD7F4F5F01206748F92--

my wish

Dec 21, 1998, 10:33pm
Me too, and all these basic "improvements" on the contact list have been
said again and again for so long!
When I think before they launched the telegram feature they said it
will outdo ICQ so ppl won't use it anymore!!!

[View Quote] > my wish is for COF to read the wishlist and act upon our wishes

my wish

Dec 22, 1998, 8:32am
Let's put this all straight first. *They* created this newsgroup and said many
time they were attentive to users' wishes. We may imagine they can't include all
requests, neither can't always tell what are the priorities for users among all
these requests.
But one would expect *they* manage things so to get such priority list, and at
least show some concern by answering to what seems possible or not for them or
what they think are priorities from what they heard from the few.. This is what
happens anywhere where such a wishlist ng exists, or you don't create it.
In clear I would certainly not feel "guilty" because we don't do *their* job. I
don't feel like whining but just asking them to be honest and not pretend to do
what they don't.

As to pretend Roland knows nothing about some priorities, let's be serious.
Some requests like possible pricacy on the "green mark" in the list have been
expressed from the very beginning and not only in this newsgroup.

But maybe you are right, and we should do such a list with votes so to see if
they are really sincere. Remember they promised too to organise some votes for
major issues they would like to have users opinion. They made a trial with old
Cy avatar return. (just a way to diplomatically correct a deletion which raised
tons of protests), we are still waiting for the real vote stuff.

[View Quote] > I cannot agree more, however there must be some kind of prioritizing of
> wishes. Whether or not Roland is working on all of the wishes, we should
> at least compile some sort of list for him to look at that we can present to
> him in one packaged submission. We can all complain and yell about what
> we need more than anything, but someone else might have a difference of
> opinion about what is the most important feature. With a well
> organized list of wanted features, Roland might reprioritize his list as
> well. If he does not read the wish list, he can at least read a civilized
> and diplomatic email that says, "Hey, here is the list of most wanted
> features. Take a look at them."
>
> If he does not look at them, we cannot say that we did not try to put them
> together so that he cannot clearly see what is needed. Besides, who knows
> if the list will change his mind about what he thinks are most wanted
> features? He may be working on the features that he thinks are most
> wanted, but really are wanted by only a few who expressed their needs to him
> in a well organized, well thought out, and diplomatic way, instead of
> whining (as I am guilty of too) about him not ever listening to us or
> reading the wish list newsgroup.
>
> If we do nothing, we will never know whether the effort was worth it or
> not. Compiling a list might not get us anywhere, but doing nothing will
> definitely get us nowhere.

[View Quote]

Re: PRESS RELEASE

Jan 25, 1999, 7:12pm
--------------DF80DC67D835A68E05AA9FB1

I'm quite a bit puzzled. I thought activeworlds.com only exists since last friday, and from your link I found this one
http://chart.yahoo.com/c/2y/a/awld.gif
which shows quotation from quite a long time before. Is it the qutotation including the former company which bought COF? It seems it has been doing quite badly during the past months.

Princess Tia a écrit:

> I have not used this online broker service, nor am I aware of their track record, etc,. but heard that
> www.webstreet.com is supposed to be one of the best. I looked at their site, you can fill in an online order form, BUT must establish an account with them, send them the info by snail mail anyway, and
> establishing an acct. could take 28 days or so.
>
> Any broker (local or otherwise) who is a member of NASD should be able to handle the purchase of AW stock
> (trading symbol AWLD company name activeworlds.com) for you.
>
> To see yahoo's quotes of AWLD:
> http://quote.yahoo.com/q?s=AWLD&d=v1
>
> and excite's as grover mentioned:
> http://quicken.excite.com/investments/quotes/?symbol=AWLD&defview=FULL
>
> Princess Tia
> Zuzu World
>
> "judging by we the users hang in here, I think it's gonna be a winner :) "

[View Quote]

--------------DF80DC67D835A68E05AA9FB1

<HTML>
I'm quite a bit puzzled. I thought activeworlds.com only exists since last
friday, and from your link I found this one
<BR><A HREF="http://chart.yahoo.com/c/2y/a/awld.gif">http://chart.yahoo.com/c/2y/a/awld.gif</A>
<BR>which shows quotation from quite a long time before. Is it the qutotation
including the former company which bought COF? It seems it has been doing
quite badly during the past months.

<P>Princess Tia a &eacute;crit:
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>I have not used this online broker service, nor am
I aware of their track record, etc,. but heard that
<BR>&nbsp;www.webstreet.com is supposed to be one of the best.&nbsp; I
looked at their site, you can fill in an online order form, BUT must establish
an account with them, send them the info by snail mail anyway, and
<BR>establishing an acct. could take 28 days or so.

<P>Any broker (local or otherwise)&nbsp; who is a member of NASD should
be able to handle the purchase of AW stock
<BR>(trading symbol AWLD company name activeworlds.com) for you.

<P>To see yahoo's quotes of AWLD:
<BR><A HREF="http://quote.yahoo.com/q?s=AWLD&d=v1">http://quote.yahoo.com/q?s=AWLD&amp;d=v1</A>

<P>and excite's as grover mentioned:
<BR><A HREF="http://quicken.excite.com/investments/quotes/?symbol=AWLD&defview=FULL">http://quicken.excite.com/investments/quotes/?symbol=AWLD&amp;defview=FULL</A>

<P>Princess Tia
<BR>Zuzu World

<P>"judging by we the users hang in here, I think it's gonna be a winner
:) "

[View Quote] [View Quote] --------------DF80DC67D835A68E05AA9FB1--

AlphaWorld "Wishlist"

Mar 16, 1999, 3:48pm
Well, this is a nice move to ask, as this has been one of the concern of users.

But how come you guys at COF after long silences, just when the conversation
is hot (and hot for you) on some fundamental topics like questioning what is
our freedom here and how you rule the community, you pop in with another topic
about pratical things which may be important but pretty much marginal in
comparison?

Are you THAT unlucky?

Are you trying to take us for idiots thinking we don't see the diversion?

I would have taken your post as sincere if in the same time you had made a
post about the future of Yellow, as it appears you are working on it. Yellow
situation it's about free speech and its limits, right in the topic people are
seriously discussing now.

A list of allowed objects would be nice. But a list of allowed words even
more.

Shamus Young a écrit:

> It been a while since I've seen new objects for AW on the wishlist - I'm
> curious what sorts of new things people would like to see in AW?
>
> What would make the AW object libary more useful? What types of objects
> ought to be added or altered? What objects are useless (if any?).
>
> Also, I notice that many objects come with a LOT of different textures,
> although in practice only about 1/4 of them ever get used. For example the
> "walk" objects come in about 25+ different textures, although only a few of
> the variations ever get used. (probably because the other textures don't
> look as good). What would be more important, more texture choices, or more
> shape and size choices?
>
> Don't worry - I am not proposing massive changes for Alpha, I'm just trying
> to get a feel for what makes a building world "great", and what will keep
> builders engaged and excited. I've gotten some good input from several
> friends so far, but wanted to put it to the community and see what everyone
> has to say. :)
>
> Shamus Young
> Artwork / World Developer
> Activeworlds.com, Inc
> Email: shamus at activeworlds.com
> Personal Homepage: http://users.penn.com/~shamus/
> - - --= A C T I V E W O R L D S =-- - -
> See the future of the net in a 3D interactive world!
> http://www.activeworlds.com

AlphaWorld "Wishlist"

Mar 16, 1999, 8:22pm
Oh! I didn't mean to be that personal, because if we isolate this post from the
context, yes it's a good move. If YS or anyone took it as personal I want to
apologize.

Now, I'm sorry, but i can't think of it out of the context. The policy of a
company toward its users is a whole. As well as its employees are supposed to be
a team where everyone should stand for the decision of his company and be a bit
coordinate.
Let's say YS does his job but the company has a whole doesn't. Starting with the
fact this post emphasises the silence of the company on hotter points now. Bad
moment. If its just a coincidence (but it happened so many times!) it's at least
a very poor PR strategy (if there was ever one).

Nevertheless, I find a bit obscene to consider now which new objects we need,
when we are losing to important figures of our community (after so many others).
I prefer to put pritority on persons than on objects. The spirit is going away
slowly from intolerance, is it the time to think of more lego pieces in our
sandbox?

[View Quote] > I'm with Veto on this one. Shamus should be thanked for asking our opinions
> before he just went ahead and started making changes.
>
> We should encourage this type of behaviour from AWCOM staff and not hold
> Shamus personally responsible for the bad judgement of others at AWCOM.
>
> Now I just hope that those at AWCOM who are supposed to influence or make
> policy decisions or be some kind of customer reps will be so bold as to
> follow Shamus' good example and start asking opinions in here, be more
> forthcoming with information, and answer questions when they are asked.

[View Quote]

AlphaWorld "Wishlist"

Mar 17, 1999, 9:43am
Coldegg a écrit:

> mgib said:
> A list of allowed objects would be nice. But a list of allowed words even
> more.
>
> that wasnt the question mgib, if you are discontent with AW, then e-mail
> your stuff to JP and he will make it nice and public for you.

LOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AlphaWorld "Wishlist"

Mar 17, 1999, 9:52am
Coldegg a écrit:

> Talian Wrote:
> Hi Shamus, how about some prop objects like planes so all the airports in
> alpha don't look so deserted, cars for all the mall parking lots, military
> vehicles for the numerous military posts , etc....
>
> Oh yeah, totally agree there. Some cool military stuff would be nice, and
> perhaps a lear jet or two for the airports, and maybe a few jetski's and
> private watercraft for the lakes...
> Ashen

Oh! yes! And some landmines too, please!

AlphaWorld "Wishlist"

Mar 17, 1999, 10:51am
Hmmm...can you repeat the straight question, please?:)

homer a écrit:

> think it means "spewed forth like projectile vomit", but I have never been
> able to get a straight answer out of mgib. :)

[View Quote]

AlphaWorld "Wishlist"

Mar 17, 1999, 3:25pm
Bille a écrit:

> Ok, so what you say is that any good suggestions at this time, would actually be a
> *bad* suggestion, since you'd rather like to spend more time on the bot topic...

I think we can spend time on the both. But I see concern from COF on only one.

> - wake up... if YS did *not* ask for wishes now, I'm sure that after you eventually
> become tired of discussing the bots, you would critisize the company for not paying
> enough attention to the users' wishes... see... it's much better if they suggest the
> good stuff *after* it has been critisized by the users... phew...

Curiously they come out with some sudden interest to a topic asked for long like this
one or rather marginal when they are questioned about major issues for the
community. Reminds me when in the huge debate here about having some voting system on
some issues (repleatidly promised for age by COF), suddenly ENZO poped in saying it was
a good idea...to implement VRT!!! Sure it was clever but again kinda " I listen to you
but let's talk about something else".

Again YS initiative is good, and the coincidence strange. If you ever get news about
the bot, thanks to share.:)

> Anyway... don't you think that most ppl are able to suggest new objects *and*
> critisize the ejection bots?

Absoluetly. Most are able to address both topics....but COF.:)

[View Quote]

AlphaWorld "Wishlist"

Mar 18, 1999, 5:05am
Trying to compare COF with the U.S. Federal Adm. is certainly compatible with their ego. From the size of the company, and the fact this ng IS the place where you discuss (and are maybe answered) on as well "artistic" as community issue, I sitck to my point.

Besides the fact I read in AWWoS that your artist is involved in finding a clue to Yellow, which is a good thing but not compatible with your point.

[View Quote] > Shamus doesn't have any part of the censoring actions of Activeworlds.com. He's an artist like me. He happens to be getting on with his usual business instead of getting mired in the quicksand of debate. Please don't attack him for being responsible in his duties. That would be like calling up the US Post Office and complaining that they were spending all their time distracting people by delivering the mail instead of doing something about the Iraq situation.

> Rjinswand

[View Quote]

AlphaWorld "Wishlist"

Mar 18, 1999, 5:28am
[View Quote] [View Quote] I stick to it, and wherever I want, no matter what i'm told by a fascist.

> Sounds good! Let talk about something else. How about new objects???? <seems you cant
> comprehend the original post. Or maybe you do - but your insight does not let you steer
> away from your "demolishion crusade".>

"demolition crusade"? I quitted AWHS for a while.:)

> Important figures like: HJ? mgib? SN? QB? What a joke :) Not even Eep is an important
> figure (thou he at least did a LOT for AW not like the guys you did!!)
> You folks did not do anything else but complain and tried to destory AW. You deserve your
> punishmen.

Facter and Simon Says will appreciate as I was refering to them. Maybe you are right. If they
quit because they are pissed off by policies people like you stand for, who care really?
They'll just join the rank of those who made nothing else but complain and finally quitted
like NetGuy, Dataman, DNapalm etc...

As to question if I did a lot, I can't tell. It did things for the community, even if I never
felt like bragging about it. Some knows.

> Yes - mgib, it is easy to be a rebel from France.

No, COF doesn't care to block IP here. Just few zulus.

> You have no idea how to run a company in
> the US.

How do you know?

> I'm complaining too. Hate those eject robots, disappointed by the company's leadership ( I
> own stocks opposed to you). Still - I have a different approach.

Oh! Nice! And what's the result of your approach?(you have stocks? Well, you should have learnt
how microcap business is run in the U.S. first:) )

> To criticize positively helps -

No. It doesn't. Just after a positive move from many citizens to have at least an adult
environment for language in one place and ready for the dialogue, we got these bots as an
answer. So where are the result of your approach?

AlphaWorld "Wishlist"

Mar 18, 1999, 5:31am
Thank you for these precisions. But we are far from the wishlist of what we are
missing.
There is everything on AW to kill in silence.:)

[View Quote] > Ooohhhhh, where is this world, and how much does it cost to become a
> licensed killer? Ummm, the correct term is Suppressor, not silencer, it
> doesnt totally quiet the weapon, though with a well suppressed MP-5 the
> sound of the the bolt's clacking and chambering another round is louder than
> the actual sounds of the round fired. Not trying to correct you, just
> informing ya... Silencer is a Hollywood term that everyone seems to have
> adopted...but oh well... Hehe, is there a way to get an av with a pair of
> nvg? That would be most excellent.
>
> As to Shamus;s guestion, I would like to see little household objects that
> offer that lived in look, as many others have said. It would be a nice
> touch definitely, as is, way too sterile looking...Hmm, can we get some more
> trees? I find the ones that we have to be somewhat lacking. The trees in
> AWUniversity are owesome, that is what I think would be another nice
> addition. Perhaps some different animals, like birds, dogs, a rabbit or so,
> something to make AW look alive. thanks.
> Ashen Shugara
>
> and I did mean it about wanting to know the name of the world, sounds pretty
> nice.

[View Quote]

AlphaWorld "Wishlist"

Mar 18, 1999, 5:38am
I forgot......

[View Quote] > You folks did not do anything else but complain and tried to destory AW. You deserve your
> punishmen.

Btw, these folks aren't sure it's a punishement. They heard about nothing and their requests
for explanantion remained unanswered. So maybe with your "good approach" you can get some more
info, sure they'd appreciate!But maybe this too much to ask from neo-fascists.