facter // User Search

facter // User Search

1  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  |  

New AW object set

Jan 9, 2002, 5:09am
> Love the new obs! All the new furniture and stuff is great. Finally a
new
> toilet that I can actually fit my big Butch butt on. :-P
>
> The roads disappointed me though! They are way to big and can't replace
my
> old roads which I want to do. :-\


Alot of the new ob's are not in correct scale yet from what I can see...

F.

OMG!

Jan 10, 2002, 12:01am
> I can't even log into my citizenship, I had a friend enter and check out
my
> builds and they are now owned by loki1
> What the heck is up with that!
> my citizen number IS 314063
> the password retrieval dont work because my email was removed from it
also.

You ran someones bot/program and it took your passwords.

F.

Managing information in AW culture

Jan 16, 2002, 8:30pm
> Bans are usually for a week the first time, a couple of weeks the
> second time, and permanent thereafter :)


That was how it was when I was there, but I wouldnt think its like that now.
I dont know what their policy is now.

F.

Managing information in AW culture

Jan 17, 2002, 6:26am
> Now that Tom is incharge of who gets the heave ho things are quite a bit
> more tidy, or authoritarian depending on your views. But Tom is a good
guy
> and he only boots people when they truly deserve it.


Yeah, Toms fukn cool :)

F.

Managing information in AW culture

Jan 17, 2002, 6:40am
>
> Essentially, I don't think Rick and JP are making blind decisions on this.

Of course they arnt. If anything, regardless of personal opinion from
others, both men are very intelligent. They are not "Uninformed", they are
not "in the dark" as to the citizens opinions, they know what they are, they
know how upset people are, they know what you think - come on, the guys have
run this company for years now, they're not stupid, in fact, they are quite
damn smart to of gotten such a strangely "un-pidgeonholeable" product to
survive all these years, its quite phenominal.

Do you guys think that they are not involved in the community? You do
realise that in one way or another, they *are* logged into the universe
every day, right (Sorry if I'm giving that away guys! ;) )? Hell, I dont
agree with alot of the decisions they make, n or have I ever, but, in my
time there I came to *respect* the decisions they make, both Rick and JP.

I'll only say it one more time. In regards to newgroup bannings? Its not an
easy thing to do for anyone, but if they did it, they did it for a real
reason, not just on a whim - I know Tom etc well enough to know they they
have *honest* morals in regards to this stuff. In regards to price
increases, and all that stuff? ?I wont say that I agree with it, in fact, I
am quite opposed to such drastic moves - BUT, if they did it for a reason,
they did it for a reason - have a little faith that they actually know more
about AW, than you do.

You guys forget something. There are people, that know more about AW, than
any of you. such people include Roland of course..but it also includes
people like me...bill, tom, stacey..and yes, Rick and JP know more about it
than any of us.

Give it time. Wait and see. You never know, the surprise's that the future
has in waiting may erase your temporary angst - guess you'll all have to try
that thing called "patience" huh ? ;)


Anyways, I'm off to London in a week or three, I wont be posting much in the
next 6 months or so - take care all :)

Facter.

Whispers

Jan 29, 2002, 5:54am
[View Quote] There is absolutly no way that this can be done - not even with a cracked
browser.

F.

Sorry, there is a goat inside of your engine

Feb 5, 2002, 8:24am
> "aw is not up"
>
> i love how those gks and their little assistants state the obvious
>
> well, no one around seems to know *why*
> but more importantly i'd think is...
> when will it be back up?

Its routine maintenance, it was even announced, they are probably just
changing Alphaworld over to the 3.3 server..sometimes the databases are
different and they have to reload it etc etc.

F.

AWNews.com Domain Name

Sep 18, 2002, 8:05pm
Dear Mike,

Yes, this is a letter in regards to your companies acquisition of the domain
awnews.com. It has come to my attention that you snapped up the domain
whilst it was free - the people who previously (an in my eyes really should
still) owned it had merely allowed it to lapse because that was the best way
to transfer the domain from where it was held. I am sure you know the story.

I have decided to email you in response to the situation, to plead the case
for allowing the sale of the somain at its lowest cost, and not the (in many
peoples eyes) riduculous sum that you initially wished for it.

AWNEWS.com has had various incarnations over the years, but it is one, and
only one thing - a website for a small proportion of the community of the
activeworlds software. The people who pour their love into the site are
mostly young, dedicated members of that community, and as such have such
extremely limited funds that to obtain the domain from you for that cost is
physically impossible. The site is a non-profit site, that allows users to
hear about news on that community, and also allows young, budding
journalists (many of them in still in school) to have their love for the
activeworlds community.

You will not find another buyer for that domain name - I also find it hard
to understand what you would want with it - but I do implore you to allow
the domain to be purchased at the original cost.

They made a mistake in letting it lapse, yes, but you have to understand
that these guys allowed it to do so with good intentions of merely
transfering it, and did not fully understand the intricacies involved in the
transfer of domain names. That they would choose to let it lapse rather than
transfer it due to the difficulties involved is testament to that fact. They
had absolutly no idea that anyone, at all, would snap it up - who woudl want
the domain name for a tiny little community of young people whose only wish
was to have a site to share their love of the software? It was an honest
mistkae, pure and simple, and I would hate to think that someone would take
advantage of such honest intentions, no matter who it was.

So give them a break, or at least negotiate with them - they are a great
bunch of people, and it is a great site, which many people love and dearly
miss.

Sincerly,
Fletcher Andersen
Web Co-ordinator, Haringey Borough Council
(Former Activeworlds Technical Support)


[View Quote]

AWNews.com Domain Name

Sep 18, 2002, 8:07pm
I will add my support to any legal action that may need to be taken. I also
have several lawyer friends that ight be able to help look into it, and at
least send them a letter - I'll see what I can find out.

F.

[View Quote]

AWNews.com Domain Name

Sep 18, 2002, 8:11pm
I for one actually think it is important for everyone to know who it was, as
they will most certainly have to now be involved if any legal action is
taken in regards to getting the domain back, as that email in reply from the
head of the domain company specifically notes that someone has attempted to
make this claim into a farce, then any action taken from now will also have
to include that information.

Thats how the law works - whoever it was was truely silly in doing so,
because now they have involved themselves legally in any of this business
should it come to that kind of thing.

F.


[View Quote]

AWNews.com Domain Name

Sep 18, 2002, 8:13pm
I will kick in some money - just tell me where to send it.

F.

[View Quote]

AWNews.com Domain Name

Sep 18, 2002, 8:15pm
Goober - they are doing the wrong thing, and what they are doing is quite
possibly illegal.

I'd like to fight on this one,b ecause I've always loved the site, and rea
dit whenever there was something new on it. It is not unwinnable, and in
fact, I think there is a hugely strong case for getting it back.

EVeryone agrees...

F.

[View Quote]

AWNews.com Domain Name

Sep 19, 2002, 4:29pm
No, but I like scaring people into understanding what childish idiots they
have been :)

eat that ass, bet i got you real worried! ha at !

oh, i missed this community...

F.

[View Quote]

AWNews.com Domain Name

Sep 19, 2002, 4:30pm
They jacked the price after we emailed them?

Oh my god, how....*small*

Yes, I'll start making a few contact enquiries....

F.

[View Quote]

AWNews.com Domain Name

Sep 19, 2002, 4:32pm
By the way, amke sure you take a screenshot of that price hike *right now*,
then email it to yourself as well as others - good evidence that they are
playing foul for the courts.

F.

[View Quote]

AWNews.com Domain Name

Sep 19, 2002, 4:34pm
Can I ask you something?

Who the hell are *you* ?

F.

[View Quote]

Re: [AWNews] Domain Update (was Re: uhhhhh)

Sep 18, 2002, 7:54pm
Pricks!

Ive been waiting or the site to come back online , one of my fav's :)

F.

[View Quote]

[AWNews] If You Insist...

Sep 19, 2002, 4:38pm
I think there might be a few communities where I can ask questions about
this...

Hmm...I'm thinking - SLASHDOT question time!!

If its phrased right...

F.

[View Quote]

AWNews Domain

Sep 22, 2002, 7:51am
:
>
> A service mark is a name, symbol, word, or combination of 2 or more of
> these that a person displays or otherwise uses to advertise or sell
> services that the person performs to identify those services that the
> person performs and to distinguish them from services that another
> person performs. Examples of service marks: Wendy's (restaurant
> services); Waxie Maxie (retail phonograph record store service); COMPUSA
> (retail and wholesale computer services).
>
> The only problem is that it sounds like you can only use the SM for
> commercial use, but again I'm not sure. The site I found doesn't say
> whether it's retroactive or not. We need to get a lawyer in here! :P


I'll be asking a friend sometime this week, we;re going to have noodles
sometime and i'll describe it to him then...he does corporate law, no
info..so if he doesnt know, then he'll probably have a look into it for me
with some other friends...

F.

opinions and flaming and stuff

Sep 22, 2002, 7:46am
.....every forum is different...you should of seen this place a few yaras
ago, man, do I remember some of THOSE glame wars....

....oh, people here are very tolerant, but as this community comprises people
that are both very old, and very new...you will find some of the older
people are a bit less patient with new people who really dont know what they
are talkigna bout in certain respects...

...but its all good, we are nice people - but flame wars are everywhere, and
they are to be found in extremely established communities and long running
forums moreso than others...

F.


[View Quote]

opinions and flaming and stuff

Sep 22, 2002, 7:47am
[View Quote]
I used to :)

F.

Clee is in serious condition in the hospital:(

Oct 24, 2002, 7:49pm
Please give him my regards....hope he gets well soon.

F.

[View Quote]

What would be the funny things for community members to say...

Nov 13, 2002, 7:57pm
[View Quote] Facter: Man I hate the taste of this beer.

What would be the funny things for community members to say...

Nov 13, 2002, 7:59pm
[View Quote] ...but before that, your going get get awnews back online, right? right?

F.

Stop it now.

Nov 13, 2002, 7:42pm
....was good, but try maybe spelling innocence correctly :)

F.


[View Quote]

Oh dear - another release that will be very bad for AW...

Dec 11, 2002, 7:06am
http://www.gamespy.com/previews/december02/secondlifepc/


Notice that it uses "Streaming objects" ...and full customisation...it
honestly looks like AW on steroids.....

Dear me, but it looks phenominal - and they say it has a downloadable client
of only 8 megs (though it IS only able to be used for broadband...but what
good aw world doesnt take years to download now as it is on a normal modem?)

Another AW-killer app I'm afraid .... something drastic really needs to be
done - like free aw membership or something to increase the user base,
because more and more of these new-gen mmorpg type things are coming
up..with Second Life and the Simes Online, what will AW be but just a little
peice of software on the sidelines?
F.

Oh dear - another release that will be very bad for AW...

Dec 11, 2002, 12:29pm
[View Quote] How so? The whole competition and "there are more markets" hing isnt really
working in this instance... its the old scenario - if AW had more
programmers, then it could advance and keep up more rapidly, but at the
moment, Shamus is fighting hard to merely implement features that were in 3D
systems several years ago, let alone new technologies.

AW needs to do things, like make objects easier to create and use, and
customised avatars etc..one need only look at things like the Sims Online to
see that customisation is everything to people - we in AW are still stuck
with having to use avatars that have been created *for* us rather than ones
we want to be ourselves...hmmm. Many arguments, but no..I dont tihnkt he
whole competition is healthy and good for AW argument is working anymore.

F.

Oh dear - another release that will be very bad for AW...

Dec 11, 2002, 12:31pm
[View Quote] ....I have 3.4 on my machine right now, and it is not near to being
competative as yet with these other systems...Shamus is still trying to slog
through (and getting there, I admit, and doing a damn fine job) to
implementing features that are several years old rather than newer ones
yet....

....too bad AW didnt invest all the money they spent on tradeshows and
"business" focused things on programmers instead....

Ho hum....but3.4 is looking quite nice :)

F.

Oh dear - another release that will be very bad for AW...

Dec 11, 2002, 12:37pm
[View Quote] >
> AW has a future, it just needs a better placement, not in the crowded
> area between 3D games but in a new one, where it's still quite unique.


See, this is what many people dont understand you see this dividing line
between "games" and "chat/modelling" software...but when yuo look at things
like the Sims Online, there is no boundary here. You cant call the Sims
Online a "game"..sure it is inth e game realm, and it is in that are where
it is marketed, but do you kill each other in it? No...what do you do? you
chat to people. You form relationships. You build things......

....sounds like the kind of software AW is supposed to be, right? The only
way AW is ever going to succeed in the *long run* is for it to be given to a
greater audience...it will never truely, and *has* never truely gotten off
its feet because it had constantly been marketed as a "building and chat
tool"...people can chat on IM these days, they can build things in the
Sims.....no, I disagree - AW has to enter the more "games" side of things,
or at least start purporting to give itself "game" qualities if it is goin
to get anywhere, and I believe that this is what they have been doing with
NewAW.

So yes, it need better placement, but unfortunatly that falls under the
ubiquitous "games" category, even if it isnt strictly that itself - its time
to take it out of the "chat" category altogether.

F.

Oh dear - another release that will be very bad for AW...

Dec 11, 2002, 8:07pm
[View Quote] If you think that AW is community...wait until you see the Sims online, that
wont just be community, it will be culture....

I'm one of the older users of AW in these forums, one of the first to use
the software - hell, I've even worked for the company, and as much as
sometimes I wish I could delete the damn thing, I always come back.....

....I just keep hoping, and keep wishing, that one day it will live up to its
potential - I wont ever give up on it, nor will I ever lose faith in it -
that was not what my comments were about, if anything, my comments are about
how MUCH faith I have in it - I would never have gone to worjk for them if I
didnt think that it was truely a magnificent piece of software....

I just want it to live up to its full potential...its been so long a hope
now - and one good thing about this is Shamus - the man is full of ideas
that would have taken SO long to implement with Roland (no offense against
him) still at the helm, and ideas that are *interesting*. Having worked with
him, I have seen where he's coming from too - and its a nice place :)

But still, there is much more that can be done, and I'm not just talking the
development side of things here....

F.

>
[View Quote]

1  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  |  
Awportals.com is a privately held community resource website dedicated to Active Worlds.
Copyright (c) Mark Randall 2006 - 2022. All Rights Reserved.
Awportals.com   ·   ProLibraries Live   ·   Twitter   ·   LinkedIn