dean // User Search

1  2  3  4  |

Custom AV?

Nov 9, 1998, 4:54am
--------------800E8284852B3C4C67268A1C

where is DMs newsgroup?

[View Quote] > Fac....they've been quite active in this
> ng.....(community).....deleting up a storm.....take a look at DM's
> newsgroup for some samples of what the moderators of this group find
> offensive.

[View Quote] --------------800E8284852B3C4C67268A1C

<HTML>
<BODY BGCOLOR="#FFFFFF">
where is DMs newsgroup?
[View Quote] <P>--
<BR>Please Reinstate Protagonist!
<BR><A HREF="http://home.on.rogers.wave.ca/compend/protag.html">http://home.on.rogers.wave.ca/compend/protag.html</A>
<BR>The Reunion 1999
<BR><A HREF="http://www.thereunion.net">http://www.thereunion.net</A>
<BR>&nbsp;</BLOCKQUOTE>

</BODY>
</HTML>

--------------800E8284852B3C4C67268A1C--

Custom AV?

Nov 9, 1998, 7:00am
--------------54A922230FD2BEF89636698F

special entry? no, just cof at activeworlds.com

Even if they don't reply, they might just read it and get a knot in
their stomach or somethin'. maybe it might not, but, who knows?

[View Quote] > What's the reason? As said Seren, they read this ng. Or do you have
> any special entry?

[View Quote] --------------54A922230FD2BEF89636698F

<HTML>
<BODY BGCOLOR="#FFFFFF">
special entry?&nbsp; no, just cof at activeworlds.com
<P>Even if they don't reply, they might just read it and get a knot in
their stomach or somethin'.&nbsp; maybe it might not, but, who knows?
[View Quote] </BODY>
</HTML>

--------------54A922230FD2BEF89636698F--

Custom AV?

Nov 9, 1998, 11:15am
--------------3DE5A5796872894AAE501E1E

http://www.attitudesoftware.com looks promising.

[View Quote] > mgib,

> I think Dean's hoping that at least one half of the company has a
> heart or a bit of common sense. Hope and faith is all we have.
> That's what has kept me here so long. Unfortunately, since the
> lightning bolt has never arrived, I'll soon be taking my cyber self
> elsewhere....permanently......

[View Quote] --------------3DE5A5796872894AAE501E1E

<HTML>
<BODY BGCOLOR="#FFFFFF">
<A HREF="http://www.attitudesoftware.com">http://www.attitudesoftware.com</A> looks promising.
[View Quote] <P>--
<BR>Please Reinstate Protagonist!
<BR><A HREF="http://home.on.rogers.wave.ca/compend/protag.html">http://home.on.rogers.wave.ca/compend/protag.html</A>
<BR>The Reunion 1999
<BR><A HREF="http://www.thereunion.net">http://www.thereunion.net</A>
<BR>&nbsp;</BLOCKQUOTE>

</BODY>
</HTML>

--------------3DE5A5796872894AAE501E1E--

Custom AV?

Nov 9, 1998, 12:11pm
--------------13BF6B8E73B163A0A15E03C9

ok, well, just keep trying back. we have been hounding them to make the
interface more intuitive. They have been very responsive to us, so
far. You don't have to be a world builder to enjoy it. Just wait til
a whole bunch of world builders get done with their projects. With the
worlds being postable to most websites, there will be hundreds, maybe
thousands, of worlds to chat in.

[View Quote] > but Dean....I'm technically challenged.....and um....tooo stubborn to
> ask Johnny to make that program work.........I'll keep trying though!

[View Quote] --------------13BF6B8E73B163A0A15E03C9

<HTML>
<BODY BGCOLOR="#FFFFFF">
ok, well, just keep trying back.&nbsp; we have been hounding them to make
the interface more intuitive.&nbsp; They have been very responsive to us,
so far.&nbsp;&nbsp; You don't have to be a world builder to enjoy it.&nbsp;&nbsp;
Just wait til a whole bunch of world builders get done with their projects.&nbsp;&nbsp;
With the worlds being postable to most websites, there will be hundreds,
maybe thousands, of worlds to chat in.
[View Quote] <P>--
<BR>Please Reinstate Protagonist!
<BR><A HREF="http://home.on.rogers.wave.ca/compend/protag.html">http://home.on.rogers.wave.ca/compend/protag.html</A>
<BR>The Reunion 1999
<BR><A HREF="http://www.thereunion.net">http://www.thereunion.net</A>
<BR>&nbsp;</BLOCKQUOTE>

</BODY>
</HTML>

--------------13BF6B8E73B163A0A15E03C9--

The world is not interactive enough.

Nov 9, 1998, 9:52pm
Try everquest when it comes out: http://www.everquest.com
It is a multiuser 3D RPG with awesome graphics and is hardware supported.
I am not into RPGs, but if anyone asks if AW is an RPG, say "No" and point them to
EverQuest. The program is not available at the moment, but judging from the

[View Quote] > but it will be better witn DiabloII

[View Quote]

Custom avs are here! - yippee!

Nov 22, 1998, 5:21pm
Well, the subject of Josh's maturity aside, I would have to say I will believe
it when I see it. They have said many things would be released and then
backed out at the last minute or delayed it so long they almost caused a riot
on COF headcquarters.

Custom avs is one of them. So is multiple copy. It was implemented at the
beginning of 2.0 beta, but was taken out very hastily before the final
release.

Judge by their track record, not the word of the programmer.

[View Quote] > Is THAT the best argument you can come up with? :-(
> Like that proves anything at all...
> You sound like a little child!
>
> Besides; i agree with Klassi;
> If Roland says custom avatars going to happen, what reason heave you *not*
> to believe that? Well??
> Maybe Roland doesn't have the final decission.
> But if he says yes and you say no; I'd believe HIM.
> Like *you* know it all.

[View Quote]

Custom avs are here! - yippee!

Nov 23, 1998, 4:48pm
By your immature comments, you are not showing yourself to be the wiser or more
mature. There is a wise saying that even a fool is thought to be wise when he
keeps silent.

[View Quote] > Now *who* should shut up and *who* should get a life??

> Lemme answer this rightaway:
>
> *YOU* should shut up!
> *YOU* should get a life! OFFLINE, that is!
>
> --
>
> Fluxen Dean-Christian Strik
> ICQ: 11760568 ISG RhinoSoft
> fluxen at bigfoot.com dean2 at bigfoot.com
>
> Real computer scientists despise the idea of actual hardware. Hardware has
> limitations, software doesn't. It's a real shame that Turing machines are so
> poor at I/O.

[View Quote]

Custom avs are here! - yippee!

Nov 24, 1998, 12:17am
It's about time we had some adult influence in here, hehe

[View Quote] > Fluxen: it's children, not childs

> Josh: it's intelligence, not intellegence
>
> Now, both of you go to your rooms!
>
> :)
>
> Josh <jrrodgers at usa.net> wrote in article <3659E745.3E249179 at usa.net>...
> because I had
> has
> are so
> *not*

Custom avs are here! - yippee!

Nov 24, 1998, 7:06pm
Correction, I have been keeping up with pretty much all of it and it has
gotten ridiculous. At least if you make a p;oint, just make it. Don't try to
make a point by showing yourself to be immature as well. Fire does not
necessarily fight fire. Sometimes it makes it worse.

[View Quote] > Sorry Xavarella and Dean,

> But I don't think you have been reading much of this thread..
> One of the points made in this thread by a.o. Klassi, me and Mgib was:
> Don't nag about age!
> That's is not a reasonable way of judging whether someone's right.
> So the elder shouldn't have anymore rights than the younger. Just make a
> good point if you wanna prove your right.
> Throwing with ages and citz# is tooo easy ;-)

[View Quote]

Custom avs are here! - yippee!

Nov 29, 1998, 7:15pm
Then maybe we should all do as I have done and email Roland expressing our
dissatisfaction with such a decision. Maybe if he gets enough emails about the
subject, he might be preesured to change his mind. Or, Cryonics or whoever
might relent.
Who knows? It is worth a try.

[View Quote] [View Quote]

This newsgroup

Nov 23, 1998, 9:44pm
Why not? Netscape did.

[View Quote] > No way!...

> If you managed COF would you offer to distribute the source code to anyone?.
> Slow progress is one thing, suicide is death.
>
> Why not code your own?..
>
> Klassi

[View Quote]

This newsgroup

Nov 24, 1998, 7:02pm
I never did like MSIE. Must make me a dummy, huh? :-)

[View Quote] > Yes they did.
> And you can see the results of that:
> Every smart internetter has switched to.... MICROSOFT!!!
> Aaahh... then it musta been *really* bad..
>
> <no offence intended to anyone>

[View Quote]

RA in AW

Nov 18, 1998, 11:41pm
Yeah, that is okay, but it should not have to be like that. It should play
internally instead of relying on external software.

[View Quote] > activate url http://www.yoursite.com/folder/your_realaudio_file.ra
> (will open it with IE or Netscape which will then launch RealPlayer or
> Windows Media Player depending on your config. - make sure there isn't a WAV
> playing in AW at the time though).

[View Quote]

oh, here's another wish...

Nov 21, 1998, 7:02pm
I don't know about AW, but 3danarchy has a built in snapshot feature.
At the moment, if you try to take pictures in a succesion the last one will be
written over, but if you quickly change the name and get back to the browser,
you might not miss anything. I have been asking for a feature to write to a
different file each successive time snapshot is used. It is in beta testing so
bugs are the highest priority at present so it might be awhile until this frill
is implemented, but I have high hopes.

You can check out some of these snapshots at
http://www.attitudesoftware.com/worlds2.html

My screenshots are in Anarchy City: Cinema and MeetingHall.

[View Quote] > When you wish upon a star...

> Well, here's my second wish: i wish that CoF could make a AWCamera(AWCam)!
> i'm sick of using Save Screen and pasting it into Paint, then fixind the
> height, width and format! and i'm sick of only being able to take a picture
> each 5 minute or so, because my computer is reaaaalllyyy slooow... it shoul
> be posible to take as many pictures you want and geting them out in the
> format u want, and only gett the AW Picture, not the toolbar, the Web-thingi
> and the other stuff...
> are you guys with me?!

oh, here's another wish...

Nov 23, 1998, 4:42pm
--------------D38C1854BDE952EAFE93FD05

Wish there were a freeware version, though :-)

[View Quote] > Hmmm... You'v not done much of a search if you can't find Win-based

[View Quote] --------------D38C1854BDE952EAFE93FD05

Wish there were a freeware version, though :-)
[View Quote] --------------D38C1854BDE952EAFE93FD05--

Worlds

Nov 29, 1998, 7:40pm
The discouragement, I believe, is exactly why they have the set up fee.

In economics, pricing usually depends on the ability to provide a service to as
many people as the company can afford to while making money in the process.
It isn't how much it actually costs to start the world that they are charging
for in the set up fee. It is to protect themselves from thousands of worlds
being started by impulse buyers who will start a world and get bored with it
after a few weeks. These worlds would have to be supported by company
resources. AW is not powerful enough to host thousands of worlds (this is
what they tend to forget to mention). Nor was it designed to.

The impulse buyer would be more willing to support a $23 impulse buy, but would
think a second, third or fourth time before dishing out the current set up
fee. If not for the set up fee, the universe server would be flooded with
such frivolous worlds and the quality of the product would diminish from the
fact that the frivolous consumer wouldn't spend the time to make his or her
world a place of quality.

Even as it is now, I have seen worlds that have been purchased without any
planning or theme in mind. Once I was invited to a world and was immediately
set as PS and given ejection rights (without even requesting either) and told to
start building this and that. I didn't stay long.

If COF did not have to use their own resources to support each and every world,
the set up fee might not be so high, but as it is now, they have to just to
break even.

If I am wrong, just shoot me, but I am not far from wrong, I believe.

[View Quote] > I'd like to see the setup fee removed. That's all that is keeping me from
> getting my own world. I'm not that rich... :-( Why does that setup fee
> exist, anyway? Does it cost $80, just to tell the uniserver that it should
> accept a new world called this with password that? They don't even have to
> host my world... I think it would be less than 5mins of work to enable a
> world.

[View Quote]

Worlds

Dec 1, 1998, 2:03pm
Umm, this argument is getting pretty pointless. You are both right, okay?
For one thing: Some do buy worlds and build only sporadically on occasion and
don't mess with it much otherwise. And, yes they do enjoy it. But, not
everybody would buy a world and build in it even once a month, especially if the
prices were much cheaper.

Another thing: Yes, the owner would be losing money if he sold it for less
than he paid for it, but if he doesn't want it anymore and wants to sell it, how
many people would pay more for it than for a nice fresh clean world that they
won't have to pay an extra fee to change the name on? You can only sell a
product for as much as a person is willing to purchase it. You won't have many
takers if you try to sell a used car for more than you paid for it new (unless
it is a classic in good to mint condition, but that is the exception).

[View Quote] [View Quote]

Re: Custom avs are here! - yippee!

Nov 26, 1998, 6:06am
[View Quote] > Ok I have been reading this thread for the last couple days, its pretty
> funny but let me try and get it a little bit more on track......
>
> Custom avs? I believe they ARE coming. And about Josh's first comment
> about them perhaps not being implemented because they could lead to obscene
> nature and material in AW...That could and probably will happen, (obscene
> avs) but you need to remember that AW DOES have that kind of material all
> over it. If you notice some of the signs by Ground Zero they basically
> state that viewer discretion is advised.
>
> And here is a brief summary of the way custom avs MIGHT work according to
> Roland:
>
> 1, they will be located on the users personal web server
>
> 2, they will go through an auto screening process by AW browser when they
> download to insure that they meet specific guidelines, E.G., file size,
> Geometry size, and vert/polygon count.
>
> 3, they WILL be aloud in ALL worlds, because what is custom avs if they work
> in some worlds but not others? And I believe this would be hurting the
> worlds that disallow them anyay, I mean would users want to stay in a world
> where they could not wear what they want? So it is going to be a setting
> that is in the UNIVERSE box, not the world.
>
> Alright thats about it, catcha later. And stop squabbling. Buh bye then
>
> -raiven-

Is this true? What about those users who want to have a place where
they will
not have to be subject to obscenity, pornography and desecration of
their sacred
icons. Freedom of speech is one thing, but what about freedom of
decency???
Is it not a right, too???

What about those worlds that have a theme? Allowing ANY avatar in
that world
would totally destroy the effect. One such world, for example, is
Outland. I
think it is cool how each avatar has a role to play in the story. I
am
working on a world where the avatars complement the theme of the world.

Having custom avatars in ALL worlds will ruin months of hard work and
for
what? So some jerk can come in and assault the senses of the innocent
chatters
who just want to have a good time?

I believe in freedom, but even freedom has its limits. Your freedom
ends when
it crosses over my freedom. I paid for my world and I will not have
anybody
dictate what avatars will and will not be allowed in my world. I will
cancel
my account first. I might as well if I cannot have the freedom to do
with my
own property what I wish, within reason.

Re: Custom avs are here! - yippee!

Nov 26, 1998, 2:13pm
I shouldn't enter this universe??? So, someone's "free speech" supercedes my
freedom to enter the universe and not be visually assaulted or own a world and
keep the theme consistent???? How arrogant!

Why is it always the ones who desire a place to be decent who are always looked
upon unfavorably. Why does the pervert always get looked upon as the
victim? Why do people jump all over someone in a newsgroup for calling a
friend a "snatch," while at the same time defending the right to call someone a
"snatch" in chat? I think it is just as hypocritical as they accuse us
Christians of being.

Although I am appalled at it when it happens, and have compassion for the victim
of the attack, I see it as another hypocrisy. It seems that such attacks
are protected by the free speech advocates as long as it happens to an unknown,
not themselves or someone they care about.

Besides, why is it always freedom to commit indecency that is the great "freedom
of speech" campaign? What about my freedom? What about the freedom of
those who frequent my world? Who stands up for their freedom?

If you think I am a prude, I am not easily offended, but I do have others to
think about and I do wish to protect the theme of my world. And I am sick of
seeing "freedom of speech" being used to protect juveniles with loose tongues,
perverts and malicious hacks.

[View Quote] > Your freedom seems to be some christian freedom. If you feel you need to be
> free of obscenity, you just shouldn't enter this universe. Maybe it's an
> idea to add an option to the browsers that will give the viewers control
> over whether or not custom avatars are displayed as such.
>
> --
>
> Fluxen Dean-Christian Strik
> ICQ: 11760568 ISG RhinoSoft
> fluxen at bigfoot.com dean2 at bigfoot.com
>
> Real computer scientists despise the idea of actual hardware. Hardware has
> limitations, software doesn't. It's a real shame that Turing machines are so
> poor at I/O.

[View Quote]

Answer from Roland

Re: Custom avs are here! - yippee!
From:
Roland Vilett <roland at lmi.net>

Okay.

-Roland

[View Quote]

Answer from Roland

Nov 30, 1998, 9:41pm
I didn't think to ask that because it was not my major concern. I assume
that when an avatar is first downloaded it is tagged or the url is recorded
or something. I don't know, but I would assume it is automatic.

[View Quote] > oh boy! is it Q+A time with roland? I have a question! Will be each be
> able to register 1 custom avatar per citizen account, or will we be able
> to switch around as we see fit? Or, what it we register one file name,
> then upload a new file and don't notify COF about it?
>
> grover

[View Quote]

ICQ groups

Dec 2, 1998, 6:41pm
This is just a reminder about the AW ICQ interest groups that are
available. Even if you are already a member of the group started by
Midnight Madness a few years ago, please join these groups so that our
ranking on the list (ordered by number of members) will be higher and
therefore give ActiveWorlds more visibility which is one of the reasons
for me starting the groups.

http://groups.icq.com/group.asp?no=26707 Citizens of ActiveWorlds is
automatic joining

http://groups.icq.com/group.asp?no=23264 ActiveWorlds Worldbuilders is
by authorization only. Be sure to say "I am a worldbuilder" in the
first line of the reason for joining. Don't be verbose in the reason
section because the character is very limiting.

http://groups.icq.com/group.asp?no=19324 ActiveWorlds Christian is by
authorization only. Again, please make the reason for joining short
and sweet so that your text will not be chopped off when I try to read
it.

Is there a way to stop a looping sound

Dec 15, 1998, 4:52pm
Perhaps, you can use an interactive process between two objects that are
identical and occupy the same space. On the first object clicked could be a
command that will start the sound while making itself invisible and making the
other object visible at the same time.

I am not sure how it would be done, but you can contact King Tex for help. He
showed me how to make doors that will open and close, which is the first
animated building project I had ever done.

Well, I could at least try to explain my idea further.

OK, both objects will need to be named and referred to in the other object.
When the first object is clicked, it must "tell" the sound to start while also
"telling" the other object to become visible while it becomes invisible.
When the other object, which is now visible, gets clicked it tells itself to
become invisible and the first object to become visible again while also telling
the sound to stop.

One object should have the desired sound and the other object should have
silence.wav or astop, or whatever. Yes, I know you don't want to use
silence.wav, but it might work if done correctly.

Please contact King Tex. He can probably show you how to do something like
that.

[View Quote] > Rolu - reread my first post - it says "without interposing a
> silence.wav". When you interpose the silence wav there is no way to
> reactivate the original wav on a continuous basis.
>
> I repeat - I want a solution that will result in,....
> Click On... sound plays on looping
> Click Off... sound ceases
> Click On Again... it plays again looping
> Click Off Again... it ceases off
> etc. etc. etc. 50 times on again, off again, etc etc
>
> Can anyone from COF tell me if there is a correct command to do this?
>
> On Tue, 15 Dec 1998 12:12:06 +0100, "Rolu" <Rolu99 at mediaport.org>
[View Quote]

Wishlist FAQ?

Dec 16, 1998, 4:55am
How about getting someone who knows cgi or java to make a vote/list page of the
top 100 sought after features?

Every person has a different idea of how each feature should be implemented, so
it would probably take a team of people to figure out just what feature a
request should belong with or if that request should be in a unique feature by
itself.

Every person has the option of adding as many requests that he or she wishes,
but only the requests that he or she makes that are common requests with others
may make it to the top 100 list.

OR, there could be a webpage of requests like ICQ has done
http://databases.icq99.com:8080/wishlist/viewwishes.db
But, of course, it would be better to have it sorted out to be presented to
Roland so it will be easier for him to see which ones are most wanted so they
will have a better chance of making it to the top of his List™. As you can
see from the ICQ wishlist database, there are hundreds of wishes and none of
them are exactly the same.

[View Quote] > This might actually be a good idea, although it would require a lot of work.
> Anyway it would be good because it would be a more discernable list of
> demands set by the AW community....and there could even be a top ten list of
> the most sought after new features. Roland only adds one he thinks are most
> wanted, which may or may not be actually the most popular. A clearer way of
> showing what is really the most popular could bring about the implementation
> of our fav features all the sooner. And also we would then have our own
> copy of "the list" for us to gripe about :)
>
> Ok so its a bit different then what that guy originally posted about...but
> its a kewl anyway.
>
> lattas!
>
> -raiven-

Wishlist FAQ?

Dec 19, 1998, 2:58pm
How about publicizing this list where lots of people can find it? More
people than the ones who read this newsgroup ought to know about it and have be
able to find it easily (hopefully, without even being told about it by word of
mouth, but alas, many can not even find their way to the help files without
help).

I would like to start by adding a couple of wishes to the list.
I think the performance issue is pretty much a given, so I will not make a big
deal about it and not even count it as part of my list of nominated
improvements.

1. The highest priority on my list is an admittedly (by Roland) simple one
to fix, but no effort has been made to do anything about it. The need for a
different font so that impersonations will be a bit more difficult.

2. There needs to be drastic improvements to the contact list. Some of them
are: a) invisible mode b) authorization required
setting c) history list d)voluntary personal data

3. Telegram improvements: a)the last incoming telegram should be at the top
of the list, not the bottom where you have to scroll all the way down to read
it. b) the incoming telegram should be accessible with the use of hot keys
for the times when you prefer to keep the tabs frame closed.

4. Chat window freeze

5. Private chat might be useful. Although I wouldn't use it much, I know some
who want it.

6. More building commands such as sound off, sit (or any other command that
will force an avatar to do a certain sequence when used), and variable input for
advanced building techniques.

7. I don't care about this much, but many want it: RPG playability
(i.e. carryable objects, transferable objects, etc., etc.) (However, some of
these capabilities might come in handy in a board game like Monopoly or chess)

8. A personal info option so those who right click on your avatar may see the
details you wish to enter. This feature should be available for tourists, not
just citizens.

9. Better flexibility in looking up or down. For example, in another chat
program that I like you have the ability to look around in any direction for an
infinite number of rotations/degrees.

10. More information on the worlds in the worlds list.

11. More realistic building features: a) dynamic lighting b) mirror
effects c) projected textures (for reflections such as in a wells or caves
where the water patterns reflect up on the walls of the cave)

World Owners Wish List:

1. More control over who is not allowed in a world. In other words, instead
of only being able to allow specific people in a world, they should be able to
specify who is not allowed in a world, even if it is only one person.

2. The ability to multiple copy objects and move them together. I do not
include this in the other list because of the potential for vandalism and abuse.

3. The option to have PS without the bold. This might prevent us from
being pestered all the time by total strangers who want to be PSs. But, of
course, it won't stop it completely.

4. A windows interface for the server software with more control over the
server functions (propdump, etc) from the server interface, rather than a DOS
prompt.

5. More information about visitors in the world. Nothing invasive into
personal details, but someway of being able to track down trouble makers,
vandals, and hackers would be helpful. Yeah, the ISP might be fine for some,
but many of us don't know what to do with the ISP information. Besides,
dynamic ISPs make the information pretty useless.

More later, but I have to go eat lunch with a friend. I don't want to save the
message because I might forget it later.

[View Quote] > I'll set up a list. Everyone who has an idea that should be on the list,
> submit it to: rolu99 at mediaport.org If you want to vote on an idea, you can
> send your vote(s) to this adress, too. The rules:
>
> -Every person may vote on every idea, but only once per idea.
> -The ideas on the list with the most votes will be on top of the list, the
> ideas with the least votes at the end. So, the most wanted ideas will be on
> top. I will list the idea, and the number of people that voted on the idea
> since the idea was added to the list.
> -The list will be posted to this newsgroup occasionally, and I will put it
> on my webpage.
> -The list will contain ideas about possible improvements to AW, thus
> everything that can be posted to the wishlist ng, but in a sorted way.
>
> So, send in your ideas to: rolu99 at mediaport.org !!! I hope to hear from all
> of you soon, and as soon as I have a few wishes, I'll post this list so you
> can vote.

[View Quote]

AW Frequently Wished Wishes-list

Dec 21, 1998, 6:58pm
--------------BF0DF88F512A9FEF1BF93093

Thank you for making me aware of that, I did not know that. I
submitted that wish unaware that it was a feature.

Thanks

[View Quote] > "# 5 Last telegram at top" or in whatever order you want.We already
> have that (Click the From or Sent buttons at the top of the
> list). Maybe it's an old list :) Jonas aka dZap

--------------BF0DF88F512A9FEF1BF93093

Thank you for making me aware of that, I did not know that.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
I submitted that wish unaware that it was a feature.
[View Quote] </body>

--------------BF0DF88F512A9FEF1BF93093--

my wish

Dec 22, 1998, 2:11am
I cannot agree more, however there must be some kind of prioritizing of
wishes. Whether or not Roland is working on all of the wishes, we should
at least compile some sort of list for him to look at that we can present to
him in one packaged submission. We can all complain and yell about what
we need more than anything, but someone else might have a difference of
opinion about what is the most important feature. With a well
organized list of wanted features, Roland might reprioritize his list as
well. If he does not read the wish list, he can at least read a civilized
and diplomatic email that says, "Hey, here is the list of most wanted
features. Take a look at them."

If he does not look at them, we cannot say that we did not try to put them
together so that he cannot clearly see what is needed. Besides, who knows
if the list will change his mind about what he thinks are most wanted
features? He may be working on the features that he thinks are most
wanted, but really are wanted by only a few who expressed their needs to him
in a well organized, well thought out, and diplomatic way, instead of
whining (as I am guilty of too) about him not ever listening to us or
reading the wish list newsgroup.

If we do nothing, we will never know whether the effort was worth it or
not. Compiling a list might not get us anywhere, but doing nothing will
definitely get us nowhere.

[View Quote] > Me too, and all these basic "improvements" on the contact list have been
> said again and again for so long!
> When I think before they launched the telegram feature they said it
> will outdo ICQ so ppl won't use it anymore!!!

[View Quote]

my wish

Dec 23, 1998, 1:51am
I must have missed it when someone asked for file transfer. Does anybody here
ever remember asking for that? Or, do you remember someone else asking for it? I
sure didn't.

[View Quote] > I can list most of the wishes and have only been reading this newsgroup for a
> few months, Roland and Co are well aware of what people want and are working on
> adding some of it, from what I have heard the first things added will be file to
> file transfer within AW, copies of outgoing telegrams, multi object paths for
> worlds etc....
>
> My wish is that SOMETHING would be added at reasonable intervals, I would put
> custom AVs at the top of my list.

[View Quote]

MORE OBJECTS IN AW!

Dec 23, 1998, 11:04pm
Why didn't somebody tell me this newsgroup was supposed to be serious. ;o)

[View Quote] [View Quote]

*Yes* File-transfering is here! (Soon)

Jan 2, 1999, 6:36pm
--------------0A5738160906E2BB5100D7C2

Well, when you are right you are right. 3D will never cross the point to where it is indistinguishable from reality.

I am a moderate Star Trek fan (not a Trekky). The first thing that came to my mind when I read your post was that the creators of Star Trek: The Next Generation could have chosen 3D animation for the basis of what we know as the Holodeck, but they chose something that is, in theory (fictional theory, but....), much more versatile.

They probably foresaw that the possibility of traditional 3D rendering engines creating such realism would be very unbelievable (besides the fact that VR animation was, by that time, hardly original). They could have chosen to go the traditional route, but chose something that could open more possibilities (if only fictional).

In other words, 3D rendering was already a familiar concept so they went with something that people were unfamiliar with and could give the illusion of being possible someday. With the traditional 3d rendering engine concept, if it had been chosen, people would be saying "Yeah, right! Give me a break!" But, with the energy/matter manipulation concept not many people had the background experience from seeing it in the media to have a basis for saying such
things.

But, I am sure that even if energy/matter manipulation ever comes into the realm of reality, there will always be some flaw in the design that will prevent the total illusion of reality from being pulled off completely. Any creation of man which depends totally upon synthetics and human calculation will inevitably fail to be a fool proof illusion of reality. No matter how real it may seem, there will always be some "crack in the wall" of the illusion that will
give it away.

[View Quote] > Shyea...right. I'll believe it when I experience it. I can tell 3D so easily. Most 3D modellers/animators mess up on the lighting (making the object too shiny/reflective and/or bright/glared). Plus the jerkiness/twitchiness of 3D animation is VERY easy to spot, not to mention the overall plastic/doll-like look to humans. And when in doubt, look for polygon edges. Got a URL for it perhaps? 3D has a LONG way to go before it's believably real...to me at least.

> And "Advanced Rendering Technology" has to be the cheesiest, most cliche name something can have. Talk about technobabble...almost as bad as "state-of-the-art", "cutting edge technology", and "on the leading edge". Feh...there's another lame phrase I can't seem to recall at the moment, but it's equally as annoying when used by people who don't even know what the hell they're talking about (like advertisers/marketers/public relations types/etc).

[View Quote] --------------0A5738160906E2BB5100D7C2

Well, when you are right you are right.&nbsp;&nbsp; 3D will never cross
the point to where it is indistinguishable from reality.
first thing that came to my mind when I read your post was that the creators
of <i>Star Trek: The Next Generation</i> could have chosen 3D animation
for the basis of what we know as the Holodeck, but they chose something
that is, in theory (fictional theory, but....), much more versatile.
engines creating such realism would be very unbelievable (besides the fact
that VR animation was, by that time, hardly original).&nbsp; They could
have chosen to go the traditional route, but chose something that could
open more possibilities (if only fictional).
went with something that people were unfamiliar with and could give the
illusion of being possible someday.&nbsp;&nbsp; With the traditional 3d
rendering engine concept, if it had been chosen, people would be saying
"Yeah, right!&nbsp;&nbsp; Give me a break!"&nbsp;&nbsp; But, with the energy/matter
manipulation concept not many people had the background experience from
seeing it in the media to have a basis for saying such things.
the realm of reality, there will always be some flaw in the design that
will prevent the total illusion of reality from being pulled off completely.&nbsp;&nbsp;
Any creation of man which depends totally upon synthetics and human calculation
will inevitably fail to be a fool proof illusion of reality.&nbsp;&nbsp;