chrispeg // User Search

1  2  |

[38] SDK for 3.6

Jul 8, 2004, 5:59pm
Build 38 of the 3.6 SDK released. Build 38 contains the following changes:

* New world attribute AW_WORLD_SOUND_AMBIENT (string)
* New world attribute AW_WORLD_DISABLE_MULTIPLE_MEDIA (bool)

Refer to the world feature settings
(http://www.activeworlds.com/help/aw36/world_features_dialog.html) of the
browser's help pages for details.

The SDK is available for download at
http://www.activeworlds.com/products/download.asp .

Thanks,
Chris

[38] SDK for 3.6

Jul 11, 2004, 5:06pm
Build 39 of the 3.6 SDK:

Please look at http://www.activeworlds.com/sdk/whatsnew.htm for changes and
have it tested. Preferable link with msvcrt.lib insteed of libc.lib. Reply
to this message thread to let me know if you run into problems when you
compile it. Build 38 is still available at
http://www.activeworlds.com/sdk/download.htm .

Thanks,
Chris

"chrispeg" <chris at activeworlds.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:40eda7a5$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> Build 38 of the 3.6 SDK released. Build 38 contains the following changes:
>
> * New world attribute AW_WORLD_SOUND_AMBIENT (string)
> * New world attribute AW_WORLD_DISABLE_MULTIPLE_MEDIA (bool)
>
> Refer to the world feature settings
> (http://www.activeworlds.com/help/aw36/world_features_dialog.html) of the
> browser's help pages for details.
>
> The SDK is available for download at
> http://www.activeworlds.com/products/download.asp .
>
> Thanks,
> Chris

Running AW through Linux?

Jul 27, 2004, 5:20pm
"bastillion" <bastillion at charter.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:41068033$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> Forgive me if this sounds naive.. but I've been following the newsgroup
for
> awhile, and I think I understand.. correct me if I'm wrong... :)
>
> The SDK isn't for allowing someone to actually RUN AW (browse worlds,
build,
> chat, etc) in Linux (or other OS)..
> ..but instead allows someone to create helper applications in those other
> OS.. correct?

Yes, you are correct. The SDK, the universe and the world serves are
available to run on -nix platforms, but the browser is not. Thanks to Andras
at this place again, for porting the SDK to linux recently!

> I have been talking with someone who would like to run AW, but he's a
Linux
> user.
>
> If someone could point me to docs about running AW through Linux (if it
> really is possible) I would appreciate the help.

Linux has a Windows emulation software called WINE. Not all parts can be
emulated, though, but the 3D window, the chat and other main parts should
work. One has to be experienced on Windows and on Linux to set up a propper
and rather complex emulation environment, though.

If someone knows of an easy way how to run a complex application like the
browser on linux (WINE or another emulation), I would appreciate it very
much too :-)

Chris

> Bastillion (AW Universe)

VB Update?

Aug 4, 2005, 12:19pm
Have a brief look to http://www.activeworlds.com/products/download.asp . The
VB SDK Wrapper for build 41 has been made available to you since some months
already.

Have fun with it,
Chris

"Flashbstudios" <staff at auburnflame.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:42f147a0$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> Once Chrispeg gets around to it yeah maybe.

the next step in programing :P

May 30, 2005, 1:52pm
With the Resourcce Manager of VS 4.x RichEdit controls could not be used
directly. Load and create the window 'manually' in your code instead, which
would look like (for ANSI 8 bit chars ) :

#include <richedit.h>

LoadLibrary ("Riched20.dll");
CreateWindowEx ( 0, "RichEdit20A", ...);

I'm sure you figure it out,
Chris

"Giles" <giles at gfsmail.no-ip.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:429b1cee$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> ok i made a bot usieng a concel now and i'm pretty happy with it so i
> decided to take the next step up.... a windows GUI and well i've alredy
> ran
> into troubles -_- for some reason the richedit that i was planing on
> useing
> for the log dont appear at all i'm programing in C++ useing dev C++
> version
> 4.9.9.2 so can anyone help at all with this? i tryed msdn but they dident
> help much so.... yeah

the next step in programing :P

Jun 10, 2005, 5:55pm
You have to call all SDK functions from the same thread. Although, you can
run the GUI or other working threads from another thread. It's up to the
application programmer to take care of IPC ( Inter Process Communication -
transfering data and issuing function calls inbetween threads of an
application ).

Chris

"Neophile" <neophile at abyssia.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:42a9cba5 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> Tony M a écrit :
> I never test the 0 value, I'll do it. I know the -1 make AW loop and block
> the main thread. and a time in ms if for synch operation.
>
> For example , I have my GUI in the main thread and all AW operation are in
> this thread.
> For the aw_wait(x), I make a specific Thread who I can stop, pause and
> resume in normal task priority.But in this specific thread, I don't use
> the -1 value because it block my thread, so I use a time like 20 ms. I'll
> test it with a 0 value, I'll tell you...

Callbacks recieved on Disconnect

Jun 11, 2005, 6:55pm
Call aw_wait (0) inbetween the aw_object_add () and aw_object_change ()
mehtods, to a) catch callbacks and events; b) to avoid buffer overruns of
the outgoing socket. Or use syncronous calls to avoid this situation is mass
building.

Thanks,
Chris

"Strike Rapier" <markyr at gmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:42ab3730 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
>I am hoping someone could give me an idea on this, to save me running
>extensive tests.
>
> If I enable object callback, send 200 object adds... and recieve 100
> callbacks, then get disconnected - will i ever recieve the other 100
> callbacks?
>
> --
> - Mark Randall
> http://zetech.swehli.com

3.6 VB SDK Wrapper Build 41

Jun 21, 2005, 12:15pm
The Visual Basic Wrapper for the 3.6 SDK build 41 is available at
http://objects.activeworlds.com/downloads/AwVBSdk41.zip

A brief description and a proper download page will follow next week.

Thanks,
Chris

3.6 VB SDK Wrapper Build 41

Jun 23, 2005, 7:01am
A brief intro for the VB SDK is available here:
http://www.activeworlds.com/sdk/vb

Thanks to DutchBull for providing the example.

Chris

"chrispeg" <chris at activeworlds.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:42b820fe at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> The Visual Basic Wrapper for the 3.6 SDK build 41 is available at
> http://objects.activeworlds.com/downloads/AwVBSdk41.zip
>
> A brief description and a proper download page will follow next week.
>
> Thanks,
> Chris

Callback Timings?

Jul 5, 2005, 7:41pm
Mark, I have to correct you here.

aw_cell_next is an enumaration through cells and uses an iterator; this
iterator is not increased before the callback returned.

So, if you ever had a closer look to the result you got back, you see that
you got the cell same 10 times, unless you set the AW_CELL_ITERATOR to a
right value before you issue an call to aw_cell_next ();

If you do not use AW_CALLBACK_CELL_RESULT, just look at the example at the
SDK help pages. If you use the callback, issue subsequent aw_cell_next ()
calls from there, as it is where you first get the new enumerated iterator.

Thanks and good luck,
Chris

"Strike Rapier" <markyr at gmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:42cac05e$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
[View Quote]

Callback Timings?

Jul 5, 2005, 9:12pm
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=iterator

iterator

<programming> An object or routine for accessing items
from a list, array or stream one at a time.

By extension, the term can be used for an object or routine
for accesing items from any data structure that can be viewed
as a list. For example, a traverser is an iterator for
tree-shaped data structures.

Note, ONE at a time ;-)

Chris

"chrispeg" <chris at activeworlds.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:42cafea1$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> Mark, I have to correct you here.
>
> aw_cell_next is an enumaration through cells and uses an iterator; this
> iterator is not increased before the callback returned.
>
> So, if you ever had a closer look to the result you got back, you see that
> you got the cell same 10 times, unless you set the AW_CELL_ITERATOR to a
> right value before you issue an call to aw_cell_next ();
>
> If you do not use AW_CALLBACK_CELL_RESULT, just look at the example at the
> SDK help pages. If you use the callback, issue subsequent aw_cell_next ()
> calls from there, as it is where you first get the new enumerated
> iterator.
>
> Thanks and good luck,
> Chris
>
> "Strike Rapier" <markyr at gmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> news:42cac05e$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...

Callback Timings?

Jul 6, 2005, 9:09am
Not in this case, where objects data are received before the object result
comes in. The object result will iterate to the next available cell.

Chris

"Strike Rapier" <markyr at gmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:42cb25ac at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> Now consider it as the callback system is described in the AWSDK.
>
> Each call is a request for the server to send back data for the given cell
> in an asyncronous manner, which via dispatch it exactly how an itterator
> works.
>
> loop
> {request multiple itens something}
>

> As the dictionary reference says, accessing one at a time - in this
> context with a callback that would clearly indicate accessing it in order
> to send the request - not to actually handle the data itself which is
> explicitly dissassociated with the call itself due to the asyncronous
> nature..
>
> At the end of the day: There should be an explicit aw_cell_at(x, z)
> function.
>
> --
> - Mark Randall
> http://zetech.swehli.com

[View Quote]

Importing SDK into VB 6

Jul 14, 2006, 8:38pm
Have a look at http://www.activeworlds.com/sdk/vb/vb_index.htm how to set up the COM SDK,
in particular the Preparation section. You can also register the DLL using regsvr32.exe
from a command line.

Chris

"Mix Master SS" <spam at magusmultimedia.info> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:44b81b6e at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> Okay, so I downloaded the wrapper:
>
> Anytime I try to import the DLL as a component it gives me the error that it can't
> import as an activex control. Anyone had any success getting the 4.1 sdk in vb6 that
> doesnt mind sharing?
>
> I'm a noob, but don't flame me for it.

Xelagot 3.602 (AW 3.6 SDK build 39) available

Jul 11, 2004, 6:13pm
"xelag" <xelag at digitalspace.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:cm63f0p8hpmdldfor4n8o9hbkf5jab4ulf at 4ax.com...
> A week after SDK build 38 appeared, build 39 was made available today.
> Xelagot 3.602 uses this new SDK.

Three days, actually, Alex ;-)

Chris

> Please see details at:
> http://www.imatowns.com/xelagot/xlgwhatsnew.html
>
> Alex

Waiter Position x1 bot

Apr 25, 2005, 11:21pm
With 'uncomment' is meant to drop the '#' sign in front of the command
and/or the variable.

OnWorldDisconnectEvent WFS_IN
OnWorldReconnectEvent WFS_OUT
var $client, at bar
%a = 2
%b = 0.1
%c = 180
# at y = 11.565n 18.671e 15.00a
# at z = 8.047n 15.925e 13.5a
at bar = 9.400n 18.214e 14.00a 90.0

botname Waiter

Label loop
To at bar
OnChatEvent Chat
Wait 300
Say Just ask me for service if you want something
GoTo Loop

"HighFlier" <highflier at awgate.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:4264618a$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
>I have a small delema of which I'm sure you will all help me with. I want
>my xbot to stay positioned when using the waiter script. I used the
>directions which are contained within the script it self but I can't get it
>to work . What am I missing or doing wrong? I gave the script the cords I
>want the bot to stay positioned with and removed a line. I guess the bot
>will still come to you when you ask for service but it is my understanding
>that it should return to the position I gave it in the script. I'm no pro
>at this so what did I do wrong? Thanks in advance. HF
>
> Here is that portion of the script I believe with the default version and
> directions that are in the script then my changed version.
>

> DEFAULT VERSION
>
> # If you want the bot to serve from a set position edit the at bar = field
> and uncomment the "To at bar" line. The bot will then then return to this
> location after serving
>
> OnWorldDisconnectEvent WFS_IN
> OnWorldReconnectEvent WFS_OUT
> var $client, at bar
> %a = 2
> %b = 0.1
> %c = 180
> # at y = 11.565n 18.671e 15.00a
> # at z = 8.047n 15.925e 13.5a
> # at bar = 9.400n 18.214e 14.00a 90.0
>
> botname Waiter
>
> Label loop
> #To at bar
> OnChatEvent Chat
> Wait 300
> Say Just ask me for service if you want something
> GoTo Loop
>

> MY VERSION
>
> OnWorldDisconnectEvent WFS_IN
> OnWorldReconnectEvent WFS_OUT
> var $client, at bar
> %a = 2
> %b = 0.1
> %c = 180
> # at y = 11.565n 18.671e 15.00a
> # at z = 8.047n 15.925e 13.5a
> # at bar = 29765.681n 25419.526w 0.88a 269.8*
>
> botname Host
>
> Label loop
> #
> OnChatEvent Chat
> Wait 300
> Say Just ask me for service if you want something
> GoTo Loop

Media command

Aug 15, 2004, 12:19pm
"bowen" <bowen at andras.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:411ec8c9$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> How about a way to mute/stop media via the settings? Kinda annoying
> when you have sound turned off, and not to download and you still have
> background noise because of the media command.

Example:
create sign, name=stream; activate media url=...

To mute (equals to set volume to zero):

activate media set vol=0 name=stream

To stop, either click the media sign itsself or:

activate media stop name=stream

For advanced examples look at AW 32743N 15000E.

Enjoy it!

Chris

Media command

Aug 15, 2004, 12:19pm
Or, you might mean:

Menu/Options/Settings/Downloads - checkmark 'Disable media urls'.

Chris

"bowen" <bowen at andras.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:411ec8c9$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> How about a way to mute/stop media via the settings? Kinda annoying
> when you have sound turned off, and not to download and you still have
> background noise because of the media command.

Media command

Aug 15, 2004, 3:12pm
"bowen" <bowen at andras.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:411f8b3c$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
[View Quote] When we talk about streaming media, the amount of data downloaded depends on
the stream content and quality itsself, and even may vary during the time
the stream is running.

Unlike the sound command, the media command does not download the file into
the browser's cache because the content actually may change, in particular
if the feed is broadcasted live.

The purpose of the media command is not to replace the sound command, which
has differnt features and purposes. Even the media command has capabilities
to play files and formats which could be used by the sound and the noise
command too, the usage of the media command is focused to support a wide
varity of streaming (non-caching) audio and video formats the from the
internet ( from the web or from media servers).

A file's extension does not tell you the actually used format in many cases,
in particular not if streaming from a media server using the mss:// prefix.
Also, one may call a file .wav for example, containing a mpg formated
stream for example, where the stream still will display the video.

Chris

Dual Monitors

Sep 18, 2004, 1:22am
Hi Leo,

The answer is Yes.

Chris :-)

"binarybud" <leo at realPANTStourvision.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:414b4de3$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
>I run dual monitors on both my systems......and the present build does not
>recognize that and always puts the tab window back on the default monitor
>and I have to move it manually back each time I start....any plans on
>making this work properly?
>
> Leo :)

Avatars.dat loads everytime you enter world.

Jun 10, 2005, 6:00pm
Object Refresh does check if the file on the web (OP) has been modified
since it's been cached. In plain words, the objects and the according
textures are only downloaded if they have been modified since the cache have
been updated before. This is achieved by comparing the modification date of
the files from the OP with the modification data stored in the local cache.

It's just fine to set object refresh rate to zero, whenever you want your
visitors to downloaded the latest avatars.dat too.

Chris

"Jalen Blade" <jalen at aureusvr.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:42a9e4a0$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> We need an auto update for avs...on Aureus we're updating the list
> constantly and its a serious pain to make everyone go dump
> cache...especially new people who don't know how...and with 60,000
> objects...doing it via object refresh is not an viable option...

[View Quote]

Latest wishlist!

Oct 29, 2005, 5:39am
A reminder how to set up debug log for the browser:

1) Open aworld.ini in notepad.
2) Look for a section [Debug]
3) Add or modify to:

[Debug]
all=1
purge_time=30

4) Save aworld.ini and restart the browser.
5) Reproduce the issue.

This will generate the log for each session in a file aworld.log. In case the browser
crashes, compress this file to a zip file and send it off to support at activeworlds.com
along with a descrpition of the problem and how and where to reproduce it. (Beta related
logs should go to beta at activeworlds.com).

Note: While the debug log is on, you might notice descreased system performance.
Therefore, switch it off when not needed:

[Debug]
all=0

Thanks,
Chris

Development Department
Activeworlds, Inc

"joeman" <john at fakeplastic.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:43625a6c$2 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> The benefits of an automated crash report are debatable. As a developer, I find it
> easier to recreate the bug on my own machine and then trace it down, rather than be
> handed a minidump file and told to find the bug in the code.
>
> Activeworlds already has a debug logging feature, which helps trace down crashes and
> bugs anyways. If you're crashing, and can recreate the crash, best to turn on the debug
> log in your ini file and send it to the developers, and tell them how you created the
> crash.
>
> -Joe

[View Quote]

New Trojan Floating around AW

Jul 21, 2003, 4:54pm
The one from twisted-inc seems to be slightly differnt than the one listed
in the norton database.

news:3f1c34bb at server1.Activeworlds.com...

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/backdoor.beasty.html

> "themask" <admin at themask.3dhost.net> skrev i meddelandet
news:3f1c2f0d$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
try
there
f_.Èox72%Ȭ.1ÖÕ£É;H FuZĀ³íncz'Ì3ì0BN6o{ÌôKmail.Ó com&¬ô!ßfla

- !!! Trojan horse WARNING !!! - some AW cits do not know better than to spread trojans

Jul 21, 2003, 4:43pm
If you get a telegram like this:

"Telegram from someone's name, sent Mo Jul 21, 2003 06:41:
My friend has made a cool little program for AW and it would mean a lot to
me if you helped him out and downloaded it and told me and him what you
think: www . twisted-inc . com / awtoolkit . exe "
(URL without blanks).

do NOT download and run the program.

How it installs on your system:

awtoolkit.exe immidiatly renames to c:\%win_root%\msagent\mslxlu.exe. It
creates at least 3 registry entries, which call the program whenever you
logon to windows and/or you start IE. Once mslxlu.exe it copies itself to
c:\%win_root%\system32\msrksd.com, which is also called when you logon to
windows or start IE. A third copy is made and copied to
c:\%win_root%\win32cmds.exe. Using your taskmanager (win2k/XP) will show you
this process once its running.

All instances are UPX compressed files. Norton does NOT recognize the
trojan!

What it does:

1) It runs an IRC server on port 6666
2) It connects to ICQ using remote port 80
3) It tries to connect to hotmail.com to send off an email, using remote
port 25

I did not analyse the data it would try to send, though, as in- and outgoing
connections were blocked when I analysed it. It looks like the trojan is
even able to capture your screen.

In case one of you already got infected, please contact ActiveWorlds for
removal instructions.

- !!! Trojan horse WARNING !!! - some AW cits do not know better than to spread trojans

Jul 21, 2003, 6:09pm
That is not enough, themask.

Please contact AW for removal instruction.

"themask" <admin at themask.3dhost.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:3f1c4764 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> rofl read what it does, and delete whats in msangent thing heh

- !!! Trojan horse WARNING !!! - some AW cits do not know better than to spread trojans

Jul 21, 2003, 6:10pm
Okay, I reported it to Norton.

btw: how are you brock ?

"brock" <BrockL at iceflare.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:3f1c42fe$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> chrispeg, report it to Norton.
>
> --
> Brock - 308723 - DE Leader
[View Quote]

Why no 3.6 Beta for general community???

Jul 8, 2004, 3:24pm
Have you set a limit in the Disk Usage settings of the browser ?

Chris

"ciena" <nikona at comcast.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:40ed7b8c at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> i have noticed that the avatar freezes at the end of the seq. has been
doing
> that for a long long time. over a year and it still does that. and i also
> have had to dl everything again in my worlds. also a lot of times i have
> wait for the terrain to come in.
[View Quote]

Xelagot 3.602 (AW 3.6 SDK build 39) available

Jul 11, 2004, 6:13pm
"xelag" <xelag at digitalspace.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:cm63f0p8hpmdldfor4n8o9hbkf5jab4ulf at 4ax.com...
> A week after SDK build 38 appeared, build 39 was made available today.
> Xelagot 3.602 uses this new SDK.

Three days, actually, Alex ;-)

Chris

> Please see details at:
> http://www.imatowns.com/xelagot/xlgwhatsnew.html
>
> Alex

Windows Media Server

Jul 18, 2004, 10:44pm
[View Quote] Have a look to this: http://wwitv.com/tvtv/7237.asx
It's a live streaming.

Chris

Wishlist? 'Mute Adverts'

Jul 30, 2004, 7:24am
Some media stuff, Mark is refering to, is still up at AW 32743.05N
14999.97E.
You can make as many selection-buttons until it tells you 'area full' ;-)

Chris

"strike rapier" <strike at rapiercom.freeserve.co.uk> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:4109bb9e at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> Indeed. I mean there would be nothing wrong about building an audio
station
> at GZ where you can select a station and the effects (Chrispeg, how many
> buttons were there on your test area?) and then thats it, caput, no
> spamming!
>
> - MR

[View Quote]

[552] browser 3.6

Jul 30, 2004, 1:34pm
Before you ask, build 552 was just for a modification in handling IME
character sets, e.g. as used by the Korean language set.

Chris