technozeus // User Search

1  ...  27  28  29  30  31  32  ...  36  |

U.S. won't support Net "hate speech" ban

Nov 15, 2002, 5:01pm
That's good to hear, because with some perople saying good morning to them is enough to advocate, promote or incite hatred and discrimination... which means that if they passed a treaty which made it illegal to distribute anything which might cause one of those reactions then either such people would have to be somehow "eliminated" or all communications would have to cease. And I do mean "all" communications, because even a personal note to your closest friend might some day result at least indirectly in such a reaction by somebody someplace on the planet.

TechnoZeus

[View Quote]

U.S. won't support Net "hate speech" ban

Nov 16, 2002, 3:07am
Yeah, it's generally not a good idea to add laws that can not be enforced, because it just adds to the concensus that laws were "made to be broken" which is already a bit too common in the U.S., and I would guess probably in many other countries as well. All a law like that would do is give people who like to take unfair advantage of the legal system to hurt other people one more way to do so. That wouldn't be justice. It would be legalizing and assisting something very unjust.

TechnoZeus

[View Quote]

U.S. won't support Net "hate speech" ban

Nov 16, 2002, 3:11am
Perhaps it was consumed over the course of a lifetime. He only said it was "after" all that... not how long after. :)

TZ

[View Quote]

U.S. won't support Net "hate speech" ban

Nov 16, 2002, 10:28am
Careful. When you find yourself saying that alcahol doesn't effect you, it usually means you either don't remember what effect it had, or you were incapable of noticing the effect it had. Either of those two conditions are bad news, and a good indicator that you could easily become a problem drinker.

TechnoZeus

[View Quote]

U.S. won't support Net "hate speech" ban

Nov 16, 2002, 11:24am
Well, when you've seen what alcahol can do to people's lives you tend to take it pretty seriously. By the way I've talked to people who were so drunk they couldn't say what their own name was, recite the alphabet as far as the letter F without making a mistake, or stand up without someone guiding them, who swore they weren't drunk and that alcahol doesn't effect them. Think about it. You have stated that you got wobbly, had trouble focusing, and were completely uneffected. I'm not trying to get on your case, but you really should be careful with alcahol. Lots of people have died from it without ever realizing they were in any danger. People who don't care won't tell you this kind of stuff, so try to take the fact that someone said something as a good sign and listen to the words of caution before you end up being another number in the statistics.

TechnoZeus

[View Quote]

Christmas Sale reminder

Nov 16, 2002, 3:18am
Probably because they have the money, understand that really good objects can be a lot of work to make, and wish both to have use of some good objects which the creator of has not released into public domain and to encourage people making good objects to continue to do so rather than spending their time doing a job somewhere that plenty of unskilled high-school drop outs are fighting for just to earn enough money to survive... or something like that. :)

TZ

[View Quote]

Re: FYI

Nov 16, 2002, 2:51am
Y2.002K bug?

TZ

[View Quote]

A!!CT has been renewed

Nov 24, 2002, 6:19am
Hmmmm.... *wondering what the story was and how such information would be capable of changing it*

:)

TechnoZeus

[View Quote]

Many Thanks To Fenix

Nov 16, 2002, 9:10pm
Just a thought... if you had to stay within 8 characters, wanted it to start with the letter "a" and intended on including an exclamation point, perhaps A!cmunty would have been a little less vague. Not meaning to cut down your choice, of course, and it's a little late now... but just a thought.

TechnoZeus

[View Quote]

Many Thanks To Fenix

Nov 17, 2002, 5:36pm
Do some of us count as aged children? :)

TZ

[View Quote]

Many Thanks To Fenix

Nov 17, 2002, 7:27pm
Could be one definition. I'm not writing a dictionary at the moment, but it works for me. :)

TZ

[View Quote]

Many Thanks To Fenix

Nov 18, 2002, 12:53pm
I don't think people were really worried about it Fenix. They're just having a conversation. :)

Thanks for doing something nice for someone who helpped you out. If more people did that sort of thing I think helpful people would be a lot easier to find, and the world would be a much better place... but even one person doing just one nice thing makes the world a little better than it was, and I personally happen to appreciate that very much.

TechnoZeus

[View Quote]

Tourist access iCandy & iCandy4U

Nov 17, 2002, 5:37pm
Good news. Strike one up for the tourists. :)

TZ

[View Quote]

Tourist access to Mafia.

Nov 21, 2002, 12:36am
Hahaha. Cute E N Z O. Got those all over my apartment. None of the 220's though. :)

TechnoZeus

[View Quote]

NewAW Flyover!

Nov 19, 2002, 5:08am
Sweet! Now we lowly beta testers (and everybody else who has enough patience) can see how NewAW looks through the eyes of Super Man (with Clark Kent's glasses on?). I've been thinking of making some films like that, but wasn't sure what program to use. Too bad it's not built into AW. Maybe some day.

Anyway, I have two qeustions:
What software did you sue to record that?
....and...
Why was your mouse cursor giving your avatar a neck rub?

TechnoZeus

[View Quote] Here is a movie taken in NewAW. It is 25 megs cuz I don't know the first thing about WMV encoder. It's also a little choppy so if you have a slow connection wait for the reviews before downloading.

http://objects.activeworlds.com/newbuild/images/flyover5.wmv

Some of the things you will see are the new camera angles, the seqs attached to different environments such as flying, swimming, running - the seqs also have sounds linked to them. Then we go for a flyover of some of NewAW using the UberJetpack from Acme, it's really fast... the first couple of times I hit trees :) we go for a swim and then fly to the mountains where I get altitude sickness...

Enzo

I will probably replace this with a better clip tomorrow.

NewAW Flyover!

Nov 19, 2002, 5:10am
Don't get your hopes up about flying in NewAW. ENZO's not effected by gravity like the rest of us. hehe.

TZ

[View Quote]

NewAW Flyover!

Nov 20, 2002, 9:26am
Lady Pippin was nice enough to put together a screen shots page. I'm not sure if she plans to add more, but in case you haven't seen it at all here's the address...

http://www.pippin2.com/NewAW.html

I hope that helps.

TechnoZeus

[View Quote] Here is a movie taken in NewAW. It is 25 megs cuz I don't know the first thing about WMV encoder. It's also a little choppy so if you have a slow connection wait for the reviews before downloading.

http://objects.activeworlds.com/newbuild/images/flyover5.wmv

Some of the things you will see are the new camera angles, the seqs attached to different environments such as flying, swimming, running - the seqs also have sounds linked to them. Then we go for a flyover of some of NewAW using the UberJetpack from Acme, it's really fast... the first couple of times I hit trees :) we go for a swim and then fly to the mountains where I get altitude sickness...

Enzo

I will probably replace this with a better clip tomorrow.

NewAW Flyover!

Nov 20, 2002, 9:31am
Some news readers can't display HTML, so they read HTML posts as plain text. That may not seem like a big deal to someone who can't see what it looks like, but to the people who have to try to read posts that way it can be quite a bother... and it actually can increase the size of the download rather substantially.

TZ

[View Quote]

NewAW Flyover!

Nov 21, 2002, 12:42am
Actually, HTML does comply with ASCII standards. As a matter of fact, HTML is plain text. The problem is in the "amount" of plain text. I'll write an example as a reply to this message, but to avoid embetting HTML into plain text, I'll turn on HTML for the reply. Anyone who wants to avoid that, please avoid opening that reply.

TechnoZeus

[View Quote]

NewAW Flyover!

------=_NextPart_000_003C_01C290D6.D2B87420

Okay, now... let's say I had wanted to post a simple test reply =
containing nothing but the word "test" in the message body...

There would of course be the header information, such as:

From: "TechnoZeus" <TechnoZeus at techie.com>

Subject: Re: NewAW Flyover!

Date: Wednesday, November 20, 2002 8:35 PM

and in addition to that, a plain text post would contain the following =
single line of text...

test

and that's it.

Alternatively, a very efficiently written HTML post would add a minimum =
of the following...

<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>Re_NewAW Flyover!</TITLE>

</HEAD>

<BODY>test</BODY>

</HTML>

....but of course the same test post in HTML is actually more likely to =
contain something like...

<META HTTP-EQUIV=3D"Content-Type" =
CONTENT=3D"text/html;charset=3Diso-8859-1">

<HTML><HEAD>

charset=3Diso-8859-1">

<STYLE></STYLE>

</HEAD>

<BODY>

<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>test</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

Now, if that looks a little harder to read than just the word "test" =
you're not alone in that feeling. HTML is a markup language, intended =
for formated text. Even when you don't do any formating, the language =
still has to describe such things as where the body of the text begins =
and ends.

I don't know if that helps at all, and I can only hope that it will =
display right.

Many HTML posts that say very little are actually much more complex than =
that, and in fact this post is probably a disaster because HTML has to =
use special encodings for certain characters such as the "<" and ">" =
characters used to mark the start and end of a single tag like the <p> =
tag used to denote the beginning of a paragraph, or the <b> and </b> =
tags used to define the beginning and end of bold text. These are very =
efficient tags that you might expect to see in hand written HTML code. =
When a program writes the HTML for you to make it easier to compose HTML =
documents, you can almost count on the tags being much more complex, =
such as in the case of the font tag in the last example.

TechnoZeus

------=_NextPart_000_003C_01C290D6.D2B87420

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Okay, now... let's say I had wanted to =
post a=20
simple test reply containing nothing but the word "test" in the message=20
body...</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>There would of course be the header =
information,=20
such as:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>
<P>From: "TechnoZeus" &lt;TechnoZeus at techie.com&gt;</P>
<P>Subject: Re: NewAW Flyover!</P>
<P>Date: Wednesday, November 20, 2002 8:35 PM</P>
<P>and in addition to that, a plain text post would contain the =
following single=20
line of text...</P>
<P><FONT face=3DArial>test</FONT></P>
<P><FONT face=3DArial>and that's it.</FONT></P>
<P><FONT face=3DArial>Alternatively, a very efficiently written HTML =
post would=20
add a minimum of the following...</FONT></P><FONT size=3D2>
<P>&lt;HTML&gt;&lt;HEAD&gt;&lt;TITLE&gt;Re_NewAW =
Flyover!&lt;/TITLE&gt;</P>
<P>&lt;/HEAD&gt;</P>
<P>&lt;BODY&gt;test&lt;/BODY&gt;</P>
<P>&lt;/HTML&gt;</P>
<P><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</P>
<P><FONT face=3DArial>...but of course the same test post in HTML is =
actually more=20
likely to contain something like...</FONT></P><FONT size=3D2>
<P>&lt;META HTTP-EQUIV=3D"Content-Type"=20
CONTENT=3D"text/html;charset=3Diso-8859-1"&gt;</P>
<P>&lt;!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 =
Transitional//EN"&gt;</P>
<P>&lt;HTML&gt;&lt;HEAD&gt;</P>
<P>&lt;META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html;=20
charset=3Diso-8859-1"&gt;</P>
<P>&lt;META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1106" name=3DGENERATOR&gt;</P>
<P>&lt;STYLE&gt;&lt;/STYLE&gt;</P>
<P>&lt;/HEAD&gt;</P>
<P>&lt;BODY&gt;</P>
<P>&lt;DIV&gt;&lt;FONT face=3DArial=20
size=3D2&gt;test&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;/DIV&gt;&lt;/BODY&gt;&lt;/HTML&gt;</P>
<P><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</P>
<P><FONT face=3DArial>Now, if that looks a little harder to read than =
just the=20
word "test" you're not alone in that feeling.&nbsp; HTML is a markup =
language,=20
intended for formated text.&nbsp; Even when you don't do any formating, =
the=20
language still has to describe such things as where the body of the text =
begins=20
and ends.</FONT></P>
<P><FONT face=3DArial>I don't know if that helps at all, and I can only =
hope that=20
it will display right.</FONT></P>
<P><FONT face=3DArial>Many HTML posts that say very little are actually =
much more=20
complex than that, and in fact this post is probably a disaster because =
HTML has=20
to use special encodings for certain characters such as the "&lt;" and =
"&gt;"=20
characters used to mark the start and end of a single tag like the =
&lt;p&gt; tag=20
used to denote the beginning of a paragraph, or the &lt;b&gt; and =
&lt;/b&gt;=20
tags used to define the beginning and end of bold text.&nbsp; These are =
very=20
efficient tags that you might expect to see in hand written HTML =
code.&nbsp;=20
When a program writes the HTML for you to make it easier to compose HTML =

documents, you can almost count on the tags being much more complex, =
such as in=20
the case of the font tag in the last example.</FONT></P>
<P><FONT face=3DArial>TechnoZeus</FONT></P>
<P><FONT =
face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</P></FONT></FONT></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_003C_01C290D6.D2B87420--

NewAW Flyover!

Nov 21, 2002, 3:47am
That's not the "only" thing that changes. In most cases, you also end up with a lot of "extra" text that really didn't need to be there at all. That's why it's best to set your newsreader to send news as plain text by default, and only send HTML when you really think it's necessary. In other words, if nothing important is lost by converting to plain text, then go ahead and post as plain text so that all that extra "unimportant" text doesn't get sent for no good reason.

TechnoZeus

[View Quote]

NewAW Flyover!

Nov 21, 2002, 3:11pm
Basically yes. I'm saying that there is more of it for the same information, and also that people who do not have their software set up to make sense of the extra information "for them" may also find it rather difficult to read.

Since different programs have different features, some people may choose a program that does not interpret the HTML because they like other features that particular program has. Also, some people may be reading the newsgroups from a computer at work where they are not allowed to install the software of their choice, or even from a computer for which HTML interpreting news reader programs are hard to find or simply not available. Whenever we post in HTML it is an inconvenience for the people who's software does not interpret it for them, and if they are on a very slow connection it is that much more of an inconvenience, and... well... I'll shut up now. :)

TechnoZeus

[View Quote]

NewAW Flyover!

Nov 22, 2002, 7:53pm
I didn't forget them. There's a font tag in the longer example. The shorter HTML example assumes use of the default font as set up in the software that the HTML is being viewed in.

TechnoZeus

[View Quote]

NewAW Flyover!

Nov 24, 2002, 6:21am
Hehe. Okay. Where you going? :)

TechnoZeus

[View Quote]

Customs Aide Bot

Nov 19, 2002, 5:19am
Not sure where it is in your version, but on mine, Tools --> Options --> Send... News Sending Format... Plain Text Settings... you can tell it how many characters to word wrap at. I have mine set to 32767 characters, to avoid that problem. Of course, on some old style news readers it may look better with the text pre-wrapped, so you decide.

TechnoZeus

[View Quote] *snip*

It figures, of course, that Outlook Express had to completely mess up my post, lmao. I wish to use Outlook so that I can do everything I need to do under 1 program instead of having to open up a Usenet reader and all. Sheesh <kicks Microsoft for being so stupid>.

--
Anduin (317281)
- The Gorean Scribe - Ultimate Gorean Resource!

Customs Aide Bot

Nov 20, 2002, 9:37am
Hehe.. Yeah, I think that's what I did. It's been so long ago, I had forgotten.

TZ

[View Quote]

Customs Aide Bot

Nov 20, 2002, 9:44am
George Carlin put it quite well... they're only words.

There's nothing wrong with the words. It's how you use them that makes the difference. If someone is being rude, mean, nasty, or just plain inconsiderate of other people, they often tend to say things that make others feel uncomfortable. We try to teach children to avoid certain words because our experience with people using them has been generally less than pleasant, and we usually don't want people thinking that the children were not taught good manors, but any word can be a "bad word" if you use it as one.

TechnoZeus

[View Quote]

Customs Aide Bot

Nov 21, 2002, 1:41am
That's exactly what I was trying to say earlier. (Not the qouted part. Hehe.)

People tend to use certain words or expressions loudly and bluntly when they are angry to the point of not being able to think straight or when they are intentionally trying to show someone disrespect because they are upset over something or in any number of other very distasteful situations. I'm guessing that the words with symbols other than letters in them were not spelled with those symbols by the person you were quoting, but rather censored to some degree before you posted the quotes. Because of the ways that such words tend to get used, many of us have learned to think of them as generally distasteful regaurdless of context because they subconciously (and often even quite conciously) remind us of such situations and of the feelings invoked most commonly when such words are encountered. It's a sort of verbal prejudice, actually and as such we should be careful not to go too overboard with it, but prejudice used in moderation and examined after the fact to see if it was best can often keep people out of trouble, so it makes sense to teach a certain amount of it to children. For example, avoiding words that tend to be heard in violent situations will not remove all chance of violence occurring but may very well reduce the likliness of it. There's also something to be said for thinking before speaking rather than speaking before thinking. :)

TechnoZeus

[View Quote]

Customs Aide Bot

Nov 21, 2002, 3:41am
Yeah, I do the same thing. It's just plain more polite to avoid spelling out or bluntly stating words that you feel may cause someone else discomfort. The problem is in the fact that we can't possibly know ahead of time exactly which words will offend which people in which contexts. Of course, when a bot takes on the job the problem becomes even more obvious because how to recognize a mood or a situation is much less less easily defined than how to recognize a short string of letters. Of course, it would be possible to make a bot able to allow people to tell it what words they find offensive, but many such words would not be consistantly offensive and those that are, many people would not feel comfortable even spelling out to the bot.

My personal view on the situation is that no bot can solve the problem, but a bot could "help" if used wisely. For example, if a person uses multiple words in a single line of text which are well known to offend many peeople, that line of text could theoretically be blocked by the bot before anyone else even has to see it, and a whisper sent by the bot to the person who typed it stating why their line of text was not displayed. Also, if someone is politely asked not to use "such words" or something to that effect, a monitoring human could look at what was said, and if it's obvious what the offending words were, they could set the bot to eject if that same person used them again. Things like that may make the human's job of keeping things peaceful a little easier... but it would still be up to the humans to do the job.

By the way, I have seen a lot of cases where people think they have entered a game when they first come to AW, and they say offensive things just to see how the game reacts. Not everyone knows right away that this is part of the real world and they are dealing with real people who have real feelings.

TechnoZeus

[View Quote]

Customs Aide Bot

Nov 21, 2002, 3:53am
I've seen sosme people who touch type so naturally I doubt their brains would have time to tell the difference. hehe.

TechnoZeus

[View Quote]

1  ...  27  28  29  30  31  32  ...  36  |