shred // User Search

1  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  |

AWNews Domain

Sep 20, 2002, 3:21pm
R. Rodehorst is GK -- well, he used to use that name for e-mails, anyway :P. He made an earlier post in this thread:

"Relax folks, that's just me. AWNews.org should be under my control, pending approval of my credit card. It's all good. :)"

All hail the return of AWNews! *chants*

[View Quote]

AWNews Domain

Sep 20, 2002, 4:22pm
If you read more thoroughly, then you will observe that Ananas did not realize that this person was Goober King.

Besides, a whois on a domain name shows *public* information. It doesn't exactly take a genius to go search the records...

[View Quote]

AWNews Domain

Sep 20, 2002, 4:34pm
Several people obviously do. Regardless of how many people "bother" to go and look it up, it is still considered public (available to just about anyone) information.

[View Quote]

ATTN BRANT.....PK MATTER!!!

Oct 6, 2002, 1:29pm
Unless I am mistaken, one usually will not develop an aneurysm because of prolonged emotional stress.

The exact causes an aortic aneurysm (if that is what you are referring to) are unknown, but risk factors do include hypertension, hardening of the arteries, or in rare cases trauma to the abdomen.

Perhaps you should have said something more along the lines of "Life's far too short to have a stress related heart attack over NG posts..."

[View Quote]

ATTN BRANT.....PK MATTER!!!

Oct 6, 2002, 1:31pm
[View Quote] When in doubt, go find out.

http://www.peacekeeper.net/members.htm

ATTN BRANT.....PK MATTER!!!

Oct 7, 2002, 12:23am
1. Do you claim to know how much I get out? Do you automatically take your assumptions or opinions that are based on minimal information for granted?

2. How is attempting to be be accurate proof of needing to get out more? Should all people attempting to provide accurate information be sent away on the order of getting out more?

3. Did the apex of smartassknowitallness not recognize a smartassknowitall reply when he saw it?

[View Quote]

ATTN BRANT.....PK MATTER!!!

Oct 7, 2002, 11:25pm
http://zionworld.virtualave.net/shred/indeed.jpg (181KB)

[View Quote] <snip>

Goober King
Knows for a fact Shred needs to get out more anyway ;P"

ATTN BRANT.....PK MATTER!!!

Oct 8, 2002, 9:31pm
Thanks.

That's my plot in Leaves. It's fairly large, but the beginning of the area is around 20N 15E.

[View Quote]

[AWNews] Put Up or Shut Up (long!)

Oct 31, 2002, 1:16am
[View Quote] > So next time you feel the urge to send me a telegram saying "When's
> AWNews going to be back up?!", stop yourself and change it to say "What
> can I do to help AWNews get back up?"

*stands before a microphone*

Ask not what your news service can do for you, but what you can do for your news service!

LOOK! I can Spam!

Nov 3, 2002, 6:21pm
[View Quote] Well, if the charter here was actually enforced (imagine the novelty of *that*!), then both NCC and SWE's post would have been considered rule-breaking.

"Submissions containing ethnic slurs, or submissions intended to hurt any given race, religion, gender, or sexual orientation, shall be rejected. *Personal attacks on individual posters will also be rejected.* Attacks on AWCOM, its employees, contractors or partners will be rejected."

I'm pretty sure one liners such as "Learn to spell, putz." fall into that category.

AWC should just make a post declaring anarchy and be done with it. =P

Lets cool it down guys.

Nov 5, 2002, 1:09pm
I'd much rather this newsgroup be filled with polite and well-wishing "newbies", than people who continually refuse to give one inch of ground to anyone in order to keep on randomly spouting off insults whenever they feel like it.

This is a NEWSGROUP, people. Disagreement is good and necessary in order to maintain proper diversity and balance in ideas and beliefs, but the constant insulting and bickering here can only be counterproductive to any good community discussion.

I know from experience that it's hard to do: but just stop. When someone flames you, be the bigger man/woman, and step away. Lay down your arms, and stop the battles. No one needs to prove themselves to anyone in here. We are all, for better or for worse, part of this online community, and because of that, we have to find a way to tolerate each other. If that means taking a few blows now and then, so be it. What does it really matter, anyway? At the end of the day, do you care what the people in the all-consuming Active Worlds newsgroups (or the AW community as a whole, for that matter) think of you? I would certainly hope not. I hope that you have enough confidence in yourself to be able to take an insult from someone you hardly know and blow it off because it really means nothing to you.

I'm not trying to lay any blame on anyone here. I can be held just as guilty as several of the flamers here. Most of us have fallen for the bait sometimes, and we've all participated in a flame war or two, but I, for one, am extending an olive branch. I will participate in no flame wars and will not respond to flames directed toward me. I hope that many of you will agree to do the same. Let this newsgroup become the discussion and meeting place for the Active Worlds community, newbies and oldies alike, like it was once intended to be.

Shred

[View Quote]

Close the newsgroups

Nov 6, 2002, 12:13am
The newsgroups would not need to be shut down if they were only monitored by AWC. However, since this is obviously not going to happen, I would suggest that AWC set up a vote in order for newsgroup participants to elect three or four fairly impartial regular users of the newsgroups to enforce the rules that were originally set by AWC in the Community Charter.

I am not suggesting moderation. That was tried once, and the experiment was a failure. AWC simply does not have the time nor the manpower to keep a regular watch on the newsgroups. Therefore, I suggest if a very small group of trusted newsgroup members were elected to the "monitor group" and given a strict set of guidelines that they must abide by, set by AWC, I think the problem would be mostly solved.

[View Quote]

Close the newsgroups

Nov 6, 2002, 9:39pm
I understand that having AW staff monitor the newsgroups would definitely be better than having elected users moderating them, but I only made the suggestion because, at the time, I thought that AWI couldn't afford to devote the time and effort that it would take to pick through all these posts and to determine which ones should be removed. That's not mentioning that some people will undoubtedly start arguments claiming that a certain post shouldn't have been removed, or that some user got away with something that another user didn't, etc. That's one of the inherent problems of any kind of moderation.

As for free speech, I really don't see how the PeaceKeepers limit it. I've personally never had much of a problem with any of them. From my experience, I've only seen users getting ejected from worlds (excluding AWGate - they're pretty strict there, with fairly good reason) for harassing other users. I'd be on the front line of the battle for freedom of speech, but my interpretation of that right doesn't include much of the behavior shown in these newsgroups during the last couple of weeks.

Anyway, now that AWI is on the scene, things should cool down to a light boil again ;-)

[View Quote]

Close the newsgroups

Nov 6, 2002, 9:44pm
True. Too many positions (just about anywhere :P) are still filled based on popularity rather than appropriateness. But still, if people had any complaints, they could only blame themselves (or the opposing voters, of course...) for choosing a poor moderator.

[View Quote]

A non-inflammatory post for you.

Nov 7, 2002, 1:26am
To add to your tips of intelligent and proper newsgroup posting a more practical view of things, I would humbly suggest that when one changes the subject of a reply post only to make a very small informative correction of a previous message that one posted in slight error, one should not quote the entire length of the rather long post when one did not add anything relevant to the actual message of the post nor did one require the quoted material contained in the post in order to maintain proper references during discussion so that one can be as efficient as realistically possible when posting to the Active Worlds newsgroups.

[View Quote] <snip>

memory leak bug fix Xelagots

Nov 16, 2002, 8:06pm
Since you have to redownload the entire program (including a lot of files that aren't even modified), then is it really considered a patch? It makes more sense to me to just have a simple upgrade utility download only the upgraded files and install them rather than senselessly (re)downloading the whole kit-n-kaboodle.

[View Quote] > Or alternatively XelaG can post about the availability of a patch and people
> download and apply it.
>
> Does it REALLY take that much effort for some people to apply a patch?

memory leak bug fix Xelagots

Nov 17, 2002, 6:53pm
Um, I wasn't trying to be disrespectful to anyone. I just asked a question and explained what made sense to me in terms of good design. I never meant to offend anybody, and if I did, then I'm sorry.

As for my believing in people making my life ridiculously easy and your being glad that you aren't my friend:

You don't know me, you've never even talked to me, so you're hardly fit to judge me from one post. If you think that you are, then you must have en ego the size of Jupiter.

Take a few deep breaths, relax, and don't be so defensive, okay? Otherwise, don't be so ready to jump on people when they haven't done anything to you.

[View Quote]

Newbie Guide to the Newsgroups (4th Edition)

Nov 28, 2002, 8:51pm
He does say right off the bat not to take him seriously. It's just not healthy :P

The point of the whole thing is really to make friendly banter. It's meant to be in jest, not to actually insult anyone. Loosen the tie, man :P

[View Quote]

Newbie Guide to the Newsgroups (4th Edition)

Nov 29, 2002, 4:07pm
Do you think that he might be insinuating that ducks aren't intelligent or that ducks are violent and like to pick fights? Maybe a goose would have been more appropriate. Geese are diabolical creatures of evilness and villainy (ever been attacked by a goose?).

[View Quote]

please respect

Dec 5, 2002, 2:42am
It looks like you didn't see his signature. You should always read that. It's a weird quirk of his to put comments, postscripts, or humor there instead of in the main body of his post :P

If only more people followed the philosophy of RTFM...
gooberking at utn.cjb.net

[View Quote]

CHECK THIS OUT

Dec 10, 2002, 9:33pm
*points in the general direction of general.discussion*

[View Quote]

CHECK THIS OUT

Dec 13, 2002, 6:58pm
[View Quote] Um... aren't we being a bit drastic? It's not as though the guy is attempting to perform surgery without a medical degree or something.

Instead of just telling him to go away for a relatively harmless mistake, you could attempt to help solve the problem by actually helping him learn the "rules" around here rather than shunning him out of the newsgroups.

Apparently we have a one-strike-and-you're-executed-by-a-rifle-squadron system around here :P

CHECK THIS OUT

Dec 13, 2002, 7:05pm
All the SW names are just there to fool you. They're all actually part of one hive mind... the SW Collective.

The SW City and its community is only a cover story for its true hidden mission: to thwart Goober King and his secret plans for world domination by slowly infecting him with a mental disease code named "O_O".

[View Quote]

CHECK THIS OUT

Dec 14, 2002, 12:08pm
Unless I'm missing something (and I may very well be), equin0x's post came through as plain text. It looked to me like he was trying to make an HTML hyperlink out of the word 'here'.

So... could you explain to me exactly how you came to the conclusion that he was attempting to "hijack" everyone's browser?

PS: If you're afraid of getting infected by scripts that run without your permission, dump Outlook Express/IE (infinite evil) :P

[View Quote]

Oh dear - another release that will be very bad for AW...

Newsgroup Enforcer
gooberking at utn.cjb.net

There's your problem.

[View Quote]

Oh dear - another release that will be very bad for AW...

Dec 21, 2002, 7:51pm
*blinks*

I was responding to the post that I quoted. I may be blind, but I don't see anything there about time systems.

[View Quote]

Protest - where is AWNEWS

Dec 17, 2002, 1:57pm
And probably more interesting. :P

[View Quote]

China

Dec 15, 2002, 1:02pm
Does anyone remember Tiananamen square? That incident was not very "cool".

[View Quote]

China

Dec 16, 2002, 2:36am
That's true, and I didn't mean to say that China doesn't have its good points. It's one of the oldest and most culturally developed nations on the face of Earth. I just saw Bonzai's comment as being kind of mocking, that's all.

[View Quote]

China

Dec 17, 2002, 2:15pm
I didn't say anything about not being able to have China based objects :P

[View Quote]

1  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  |