tony m // User Search

1  ...  14  15  16  17  18  19  ...  26  |

NG server bug

May 8, 2003, 12:41am
[View Quote] >I'm using Mozilla (not a Microsoft product). It's a server problem, and it's only been occuring recently.

Nope; this has been going on for quite a few months now.

Ok what's this?

May 11, 2003, 10:38pm
The messenger service is enabled by default in Windows 2000/XP. It has nothing to do with MSN, so that is why.

You will have to go into the Services control panel (as an Administrator) and disable the Messenger service if you want to avoid these messages completely. You could also block it from the firewall, but I don't know what port[s] to block.

[View Quote] >I just received about 5 messages that popped up on my screen and no messenger apps were open. Anyone make anything of this?

>www.totworlds.com/awt/capture1.bmp

Ok what's this?

May 11, 2003, 10:45pm
[View Quote] >Thanks Tony:)
>Would that disable msn messenger though?

I would hope not, since they're unrelated services. I'm not exactly sure, not being an MSN user.

Ok what's this?

May 11, 2003, 10:50pm
[View Quote] >Thanks Tony:)
>Would that disable msn messenger though?

These websites have some information about it, and includes disabling instructions for Windows XP and 2000. Based on this information, it doesn't seem to affect MSN.

http://www.friendshipcoffee.com/messenger.html
http://www.auburn.edu/oit/security/messengerService.html
http://8help.ohio-state.edu/913.html (Only for Windows XP)

Many others as well from the Google search I did, but you generally get the idea of what it does.

Re: something strange.

May 28, 2003, 4:51pm
I have a separate partition (on the same disk) for AW; I don't notice these files in C:, but they do exist in AW's partition, E:.

[View Quote] >But why at the root of the drive? I've noticed that on mine too..and I installed AW to the default directory.

>Ryan

[View Quote]

Html Teleport Generator Program-Attn Ananas?

May 29, 2003, 5:11pm
I don't remember Bowen handing out support contracts; you can't expect [professional] support from freeware.

Bowen, though perhaps he made it in a slightly rude way, has a point: The Lady needs to be much more specific in her bug reports. Simply going "OMGBUGZ PLZFIX KTHX" doesn't help the programmer; I personally am irritated by those kinds of 'reports'. It helps to exactly specify the kinds of problems that The Lady is having with Bowen's freeware.

Always consider yourself lucky to receive any kind of support for freeware; it's usually done out of the programmer's own time.

[View Quote] >boy you guys give customer support a bad name..... let alone professional programmers.

[View Quote]

Re: something strange.

May 29, 2003, 10:38am
[View Quote] >"tony m" <ag5v1u7001 at sneakemail.com> wrote in
>news:711advkchjlcvl18lgfuedckngun9ph3td at 4ax.com:
>

>I just noticed this too. It wasn't there yesterday when I checked, at the
>time I was running 486, must be a 487 bug.

Check the timestamps; mine had a creation date of May 2.

Opacity of water

May 31, 2003, 2:48am
What build of 3.4? Do you have T&L disabled?

Non-T&L users with build 489 should see clear water now like the T&L people can.

[View Quote] >Has anyone else noticed how the water is just impossible to get clear in
>3.4? It just seems to opaque, all the time.

Is AW down?

Jun 24, 2003, 1:50am
Everything works for me, and my bots. Check your internet connection; maybe reboot if all else fails.

[View Quote] > My world saying "waiting for server" and has for awhile now. My bots are not with me as they normally are in my world. When I click the Worlds and Contacts tabs ... nothing shows on either. Is AW down?

> LNH

Re: AWHack 3.4 is inevitable

Jun 28, 2003, 12:12am
[View Quote] What about buildings which let a user legitimately go above ground? (Warps, stairs, elevators, etc.)

Bots need a more reasonable language filter.

Jul 3, 2003, 8:28am
Language filtering bots that eject don't necessarily need a filter enhancement, but rather a 3-chance system. This would make the CA issue 3 warnings to offenders, and on the fourth offense it will eject. Perhaps this could be expanded to become incremental-- first eject is 5min, second 10min, etc., all the way up to a permanent block for a lot (more than 50?) of repeat offenses.

[View Quote]

Voyager Simulation

Jul 10, 2003, 4:51am
I remember visiting a world a few months back that was a simulation of Star Trek: Voyager's interior. Does anybody recall the name of this world? I always forget to bookmark it once a friend finds it...

Please read / AW HACKED

Jul 13, 2003, 5:47pm
[View Quote] It depends on the program. You can always compile as non-root, but some require you to be root in order to finish the installation (the "make install" step)

Please read / AW HACKED

Jul 13, 2003, 9:01pm
[View Quote] > Totally the opposite with windows. It's made me log in as administrator to install things that really shouldn't need it. I think it might've been AIM. At that point I said "hah, I guess I'll just stay administrator."

This is why the RunAs service exists :) I have never logged into Administrator in months; anything that required admin goes through RunAs (I have shortcuts on my desktop to control panels that invoke RunAs)

Those Mac people...

Jul 29, 2003, 6:52pm
Yes; it does. I've got a few WMVs among my collection.

[View Quote]

Activeworlds.com Down?

Jul 26, 2003, 10:28pm
Their "Network status" page is always wrong.

[View Quote] > You can check the network status on this link.
> http://www.activeworlds.com/tech/status.asp

Another problem? - (nothing biggie though)

Jul 30, 2003, 9:43pm
Not for me.

[View Quote]

Active worlds Deluxe

Aug 13, 2003, 8:57pm
It's quite possible that Jacob is not a native English speaker, or that there may be a mental illness which affects how his brain processes things such as grammar and/or spelling. It's hard to tell what's going on, but most definately he is not an "idiot".

[View Quote] > Would you mind using grammar and punctuation properly next time, or do you just not care that one can assume you are a total idiot from your writing?

> -Jeremy

Active worlds Deluxe

Aug 13, 2003, 10:00pm
You have obviously looked at only one of my explanations for Jacob's incoherent posts. I mentioned two possibilities:

1) non-native English speaker (which you rebutted)
2) a mental handicap (a very likely possibility)

I'm only offering suggestions as to why he continues to persist in creating incoherent messages; nobody can ever be sure unless they know Jacob's exact condition.

[View Quote] > Obviously I need to break this down for you to prove my point....

> Let's take a closer look, shall we?
>

> -Incorrect capitalization on just about every other word. Anyone who has any sort of grasp on the english language knows that this is incorrect. Can you name for me any other foregin language that capitalizes there sentences like that?
> - Agreement problems. "You get more feature" Feature should be Features.
> - No punctuation. Again, anyone who has learned any english at all knows how to stick a period at the end of a sentence.
> - Run on sentence. There are three "and"s in a row. This should be a comma seperated list.
> - It's called "Active Worlds" not "Active World", get it straight.
> - "Like in Orginal" is incorrect. It should be "like in the orginal."
>

> - I think this is the only correct sentence in the whole post. (If you don't count the incorrect use of puncutation around it.)
>

> - Have we gone back to cave men?
>
> I think I can stop right there. Please, don't even try to use the "maybe his primary language isn't english" crap. Even *if* english isn't his primary language, that post was a sorry excuse for writing. People from foregin countries who learn english learn the rules of capitalization. I might add that capitalization rules are the simpliest english grammar rules that exist.
>
> The way the first sentence was capitalized proves to me that this person natively speaks english and is just too lazy or ignorant to use the language properly.

Active worlds Deluxe

Aug 13, 2003, 10:55pm
He's making a suggestion for an Active Worlds variant. (or at least he seems to be trying to)

[View Quote] > Is there a url for this jacob? or are you trying to make a joke about AW here?

> Imagine

[View Quote]

Help Please?

Aug 26, 2003, 9:36pm
Builderz agreed to only use his account for a specific purpose, and thusly has no need for other commands. Really, the only commands he has no access to are most of the utilites found in /sbin/.

[View Quote]

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

Sep 20, 2003, 9:42pm
Why don't you try being mature? [in regards to your choice of words] :)

[View Quote]

Public Beta of Proxima RPG

Sep 30, 2003, 1:59am
For the past 12 weeks, I've been working with UberMonkey (#35850) on his RPG. Although the novelty of Active Worlds games has pretty much been completely lost with me, I knew that the guy could really use some help. I never thought it would turn out the way it has, and I'm quite proud to stand back and say that I was a part of this; I'm glad to have had this opportunity to work on someone else's dream, and to help them reach their goals. We've learned and laughed from each other; and now, after 12 weeks, we're ready to bring it up to the next level.

Proxima is a sci-fi RPG that isn't much like any others -- Proxima uses real-time PvP (player vs. player) combat, much like a First Person Shooter, while most RPGs rely on turn-based PvC (player vs. computer) combat to drive the game. You are able to interact with many aspects of the world, from using doors and control panels to firing large turreted weapons. You can obtain items, experience points, and money much like any RPG. Many structures can be damaged or destroyed entirely by the weapons you will encounter.

There are 30 weapon types available, ranging from simple pistols, to tactical nukes that can destroy entire structures within seconds. Recently completed is the Time of Day system -- there is a set of 24 world attributes that rotate every 4 minutes (one hour in game time). At every 15 minute interval, the next hour's attributes are "blended" into the current hour, creating a 'transition' effect between hours.

Objects that are "destructable" can be destroyed by any person armed with a weapon; depending on the number of hitpoints that object is defined to have, it 'respawns' within a certain amount of time. These destructables also have 'material' types, such as "Plasti-Glass", wood, "enhanced" wood, "DuraGlass", stone, metal, micro-reinforce steel, and energy. Usable turrets (also called "drivables") are like bunkers -- they provide a defensive position for a player in which the player fires with the weapon that the drivable is configured to have; up to four players can occupy a single drivable, depending on that drivable's configuration. Contributing to the realism of the game, Proxima's game engine also features falling and drowning damage. Falling damage is based on the distance you fall (in meters) times two. Drowning damage is calculated like this: (20 * (([your character's endurance] / 40) + 1)).

The Proxima RPG is backed up with a good portion of storyline, most of it written by UberMonkey. Most of it is available for viewing from http://proxima.uni.cc/lib/. Ten "factions" control various properties that have been built around the world; the factions include City, Police, School, Bank, Drug Cartel, Bounty Hunters, Merchant's Guild, Natives, Church, and the Inter-stellar Federation. Factions can be joined by using the appropriate consoles located in a faction's base.

Proxima is now in its public beta stage -- everyone is invited to join the game and report feedback to UberMonkey or Tony M. More information can be found on the Proxima website: http://proxima.uni.cc

See you in Proxima!

--
Tony M.

Public Beta of Proxima RPG

Oct 2, 2003, 8:53pm
Suggestions are welcome; send them to either me, or UberMonkey, by telegram or a visit in-world.

[View Quote]

Temporary Closure of Proxima

Oct 7, 2003, 1:39am
Near the evening of October 6, UberMonkey and I began experiencing crash and freeze problems around the ground zero building. Our browsers would completely grey out the 3D pane and chat history areas, consume 100% CPU, and only do this near Proxima's ground zero.

The property was cleared and reloaded, however there are still recurring crash issues. Proxima's game controller is now also experiencing random (and bizarre) disconnections from the worldserver, while everybody else seems to be fine.

These world conditions have forced us to temporarily close Proxima to the public until they can be resolved. If any of you can offer advice about this type of situation, I would be glad to hear it. I have never experienced such problems with ziOn.

--
Tony M.

Temporary Closure of Proxima

Oct 7, 2003, 10:01pm
ISP trouble left me without an Internet connection for most of today. It has been restored, but apparently I now have a new IP address. It will take at least a day or two for the DNS changes to proxima.uni.cc to propogate; someone else controls homeunix.uni.cc, so that may take longer.

For now, the homeunix.uni.cc site may be accessed by IP:

http://24.175.37.134

There is no workaround for the proxima.uni.cc site.

--
Tony M.

Just wondering...

Nov 24, 2003, 12:55am
They can only change appearance (bold/italic), and color.

[View Quote] > In certain worlds, I know a bot can control your font/color preferences. But that only pertains to that world...

Open letter: To m a t t or whoever

Dec 1, 2003, 4:03am
You realise that by taunting them in this manner, you are directly encouraging them to harm either yourselves or some other innocent world. Now, you wouldn't want that, would you?

[View Quote]

Microsoft and cars.

Dec 2, 2003, 4:11am
"A while back Bill Gates made a comparison that Windows was to computers like gas is to cars. I was thinking about this and he is right, both are a hazard to the environment and it is time to start considering alternatives." - Nathan Lineback (toastytech.com)

[View Quote]

Re: Network

Dec 6, 2003, 6:06pm
You need to configure the gateway device to map ports to whatever machine is running the server.

[View Quote]

1  ...  14  15  16  17  18  19  ...  26  |