strike rapier // User Search

1  ...  50  51  52  53  54  55  ...  141  |

'Only Media I Select'

Feb 23, 2006, 2:59am
I would think it very much appreciated if there were a 3rd media option to
only play media that you explicitly select via 'activate'.

The whole on / off choice makes for annoying times when you may wish to
choose, but don't want to go editing settings or bouncing.

So options would be:
- Dont play any media
- Play media I select (activate)
- Play everything (create, bump, activate)

--
- Mark Randall
http://www.temporal-solutions.co.uk

"We're Systems and Networks..."
"It's our job to know..."

4.1

Feb 25, 2006, 3:32am
[View Quote] TWO WORDS YOU SOAB!

TWO, NOT TWO THOUSAND!

I just needed to say that before anyone else.

- Mark Randall

aw_console_message w/ session array

Feb 25, 2006, 9:23am
Console messages are used frequently to send consoles to a large number of
people for such things as world relays, however there is the problem of the
large traffic caused when sending it to perhaps 20 or 30 people.

When session 0 broadcasts are not an option, I would like to see the chat
output methods given overrides for multiple sessions.

int aw_console_message_ex(int sessions[], size_t count);

Likewise would go for whisper.

- Mark R

'Exact' coordinates.

Feb 26, 2006, 7:06am
I would like to see an option for exact coordinates on the titlebar, a
change which would only take a minute to add and be extreemly helpful -
better yet, a button to copy your exact coordinates to the clipboard.

- MR

Invite Request to Private Worlds

Mar 1, 2006, 5:52am
[View Quote] Or a list of all world CTs, which, strangly enough, will be part of my next
fabulous interactive website.

- Mark Randall

A few more wishes.

Feb 28, 2006, 6:35am
That the first box in the tab order on the teleports box was 'world'. Its 1
tab to get to the coordinates, but 4 or 5 to get to the world.

Built in skybox configurations allowing you to specify a texture set for a
skybox instead of a object, for example a skybox could be: ~cube:sky1 which
would be a cube with sky1_top, sky1_lt, sky1_rt, sky1_top etc etc
automatically applied.

/teleport, /whisper, /join, /invite re-instated, obviously a // would send
/teleport or /whisper in plain chat.

Store multiple privilege passwords and select from a list *hell I will even
make this and send over the vcproj* because for people having 3 or 4
different privilege requirements its hell.

Stop web window reloading whenever you expand it.

Drop down list to select where you wish to go back to on your teleport-back
/ forward buttons.

Parental controls to stay in their own fecking folder and stop littering my
system drive.

Ability to limit what MIME types will be triggered when using create / bump
url, and a messagebox to allow you to block opening URLs where you cannot
right click to check them.

Chat logs seperated into months *would take 10 seconds to add*.

A text log saying what was downloaded in terms of external URLs via my
browser, taking a lead from Andras' sig its *MY* computer and I sure as hell
want to know what the browser is downloading to it without any notification
to me.

Option to change cell-grid size to sector, cell, half, quarter and 8th
resolutions.

Ability to see if you have the associated right in the world list.

Confirmation box on 'make this my home'.

A 'view > 3rd person front' option on the view menu.

A notice on the citizen options not to share passwords between universes
because *most people dont know the uni admin can see your password in clear
text just by clicking on you*

Get rid of the file menu, or at least put 'file' related things on it like
'open cache' or 'dump cache' (4.1).

Highlight console messages in the chat log (prefix them with *)

Use colourcode byte prefixing to identify sessions in the chat log for right
click, I have discussed this with Chris before.

A *session based* whisper list, to avoid confusion, if there are 2 bots with
the same name, both should be shown in the list, and the citizen number they
are on next to them in brackets.

Configure Controls should have a hotkey

I recon all of that could be done inside a day.

--
- Mark Randall
http://www.temporal-solutions.co.uk

"We're Systems and Networks..."
"It's our job to know..."

Fog

Mar 17, 2006, 11:16pm
I wish normal fog used the same engine as the underwater view distance fad
off, which is massivly superior.

- Mark Randall

"We're Systems and Networks"
"It's our job to know"

"Empowered Zones"

Mar 19, 2006, 12:36am
[View Quote] Well as it so happens... Evo has a special XML zone defenition format...

By a strange co-incidence, it also has an XML world attributes defenition
format.

Guess what happens when when you load the latter into the former and have
the 4.1 SDK for session specific world attributes.

--
- Mark Randall

"We're Systems and Networks"
"It's our job to know"

Duck Key

Mar 20, 2006, 8:10pm
Yep,

Commands work best in pairs... so why have a jump key, but not a duck/crawl
key? Would be very good for the RPGs.

--
- Mark Randall
http://www.temporal-solutions.co.uk

"We're Systems and Networks..."
"It's our job to know..."

Duck Key

Mar 25, 2006, 2:12pm
[View Quote] For technical reasons, it would have to be done using what is known as an
avatar state.

--
- Mark Randall
http://www.temporal-solutions.co.uk

"We're Systems and Networks..."
"It's our job to know..."

Increase console message length

Mar 27, 2006, 6:24pm
I would like to see console message length increased to around 280
characters so one complete line of text (+ name and \t:) can be included per
console message. Seems a rather obvious benefit.

Also, console messages taking an array of sessions would be good.

--
- Mark Randall
http://www.temporal-solutions.co.uk

"We're Systems and Networks..."
"It's our job to know..."

Activate *URL* shown.

Apr 1, 2006, 9:00am
I agree, a simple security measure that would take all of a minute to add.

--
- Mark Randall
http://www.temporal-solutions.co.uk

"We're Systems and Networks..."
"It's our job to know..."

[View Quote]

[SDK] Console Buffer

Apr 30, 2006, 1:42pm
Its unlikely im going to get my session array console message, so I would
like to propose something else.

Have the world server keep the last console message sent in a buffer, and
then re-send the buffered message if the next message is blank.

--
- Mark Randall
http://www.temporal-solutions.co.uk

"We're Systems and Networks..."
"It's our job to know..."

Visual mute - hoping its included in 4.1

I hope this also, Darth.

--
- Mark Randall
http://www.temporal-solutions.co.uk

"We're Systems and Networks..."
"It's our job to know..."

Visual mute - hoping its included in 4.1

May 13, 2006, 9:43pm
Inside Joke known among the SWIans.

--
- Mark Randall
http://www.temporal-solutions.co.uk

"We're Systems and Networks..."
"It's our job to know..."

Have Terrain0 be a different file name set in the World Features

May 5, 2006, 1:33am
I think its 128 or 256, maybe even higher under 4x.

--
- Mark Randall
http://www.temporal-solutions.co.uk

"We're Systems and Networks..."
"It's our job to know..."
[View Quote]

AxisAlignment xyz

May 7, 2006, 8:46pm
SWEET

<CENSORED>

JESUS

O_O

--
- Mark Randall
http://www.temporal-solutions.co.uk

"We're Systems and Networks..."
"It's our job to know..."

AxisAlignment xyz

May 8, 2006, 11:53am
[View Quote] Im not all that aware of the RW API, however, if it is a custom format would
it not be easier to simply add the feature to the format? Even if its not
native I imagine that you would only have to calculate the 3D rotation
matrix once (if done against a plain) and then just repeatedly adding?

--
- Mark Randall
http://www.temporal-solutions.co.uk

"We're Systems and Networks..."
"It's our job to know..."

Joining worlds side by side

May 15, 2006, 10:00pm
[View Quote] We do?... Yesh im not doing my job right O_O

--
- Mark Randall
http://www.temporal-solutions.co.uk

"We're Systems and Networks..."
"It's our job to know..."

Joining worlds side by side

May 16, 2006, 3:39am
[View Quote] Alas yes, and you wont believe how long I spent hitting people around the
head going 'YOU WILL INTRODUCE LOCAL SCRIPTING'.

Even a simple:

world {
skybox: dawn01;
light-dir: inherit;
}

And I bet you someone could make such a parser in under 10 minutes.

--
- Mark Randall
http://www.temporal-solutions.co.uk

"We're Systems and Networks..."
"It's our job to know..."

[SDK] Tech Only Stream

May 16, 2006, 5:00pm
Hi,

I would love to see a per world tech only stream, like console messages but
based entirely on session numbers and with a string length of 768 per
message sent, combined with a session array targeting method with standard 0
session broadcast.

The protocol would be easy to impliment:

[type (2)][length (2)][session (4)][session (4)]...[session (4)][payload]

aw_world_stream(int* target, const char* payload);

int targets[] = { 1, 54343, 1372, 39192, -1 }; // made up, obv
aw_world_stream(targets, GetSomeEncodedData());

--
- Mark Randall
http://www.temporal-solutions.co.uk

"We're Systems and Networks..."
"It's our job to know..."

CPU useage

Jul 31, 2006, 11:02pm
Yay for AWI not putting in a solid no performance fix that would take
ooooooooooo 2 minutes?

--
- Mark Randall
http://www.temporal-solutions.co.uk
http://www.awportals.com

[View Quote]

CPU useage

Aug 1, 2006, 10:11pm
[View Quote] Its beyond me why AW has yet to have some kind of level of detail system
involved in it, I know terrain kind of does but that makes it look like crap
at certain distances.

It is also beyond me why AW does not have any kind of render exclusion
(which I talked to chrispeg about in rediculous length before he kicked me
off beta) I mean I walk down the road, why do I need to polycheck every
single bloody object in the 20 buildings down the side when you could quite
easily define that all objects within X zone are only visible when either
inside the zone.

Better yet, problem looking through windows? Create POV points, place one
infront of your windows... only show whats in the zone if one of its POV
points is in view, or even better yet, a POV point in view and within Z
range.

All this would be so god damned easy if the zone system was built right
rather than the disaster it is... that horrible options for everything
should be dropped and made into some kind of CSS style like script and all
of a sudden you have objects with whatever-you-want-to-add that doesnt need
a full protocol / bot / client / database rework.

While im having a rant (and I do like to have a rant) what the hell is with
movers and lack of collision detection? proper control scripts? I can hear
the wails of pain from AWI now 'collision detection on every object would be
so processor extensive!' hmmm lets see, convert the polar coords into x,y,z
and run the collision detection. Then rather than collision check every
object on every object for riding, just use the bounding box... simple! Its
better than nothing which is exactly what we have now...

I say again, options = bad, script = good. It really not that hard...

particle {
assets: flare1,flare2,flare3;
size: 5
vel-y: 50
}

Time to write a parser for such a thing: 10 minutes. Now what could such a
script possible mean to the average n00b who could read a help file? Perhaps
use flare 1 through 3 as assets, where each particle is of size 5 in each
axis?

SO much easier than the 500 text boxes we are hit with the moment. I bang my
head and cry 'does anyone know GUI design'? YESH!

I try to use AW professionally, and its so hard because the more I try to
use AW to its maximum potential the more I find these huge gaping gaps in
capability. When AW kicks its bottom into gear, gets 5 more developers on
board then they might have a product that doesnt have to sell itself "by
impression" but rather on what it can do.

Chris can do *far* better than this, AWI needs more developers to distribute
the workload and actually get quallity.

--
- Mark Randall
http://www.temporal-solutions.co.uk
http://www.awportals.com

SDK Developers : Pissed Off

Jun 16, 2006, 7:05pm
The following constitutes an open letter to JP McCormic.

JP,

Please allow me to express my absolute *horror* at this change, I thought
something was up but only Andras just pinned it down, but God only knows
where you are getting your advise on these things.

Historically Active Worlds has always used a 400x400x400 cube, every single
bot ever made that includes a beyond-visual-range calculation has used this
formula, it is hard coded into most bots. Not only is the cube method faster
in terms of processing time (a simple condition check vs. square root ) but
it also has other advantages.

Consider the area that a bot can view; with a 400x400x400 cube this is
64,000,000 cubic meters area, that fitting within a sphere of radius 200m is
167,551 cubic meters.

Imagine, therefore, that 200m of ground zero needs monitoring in each
direction. Under 3.6 we could monitor this with a single SDK instance (bot)
located at 0n 0w 0w, under this new system it would require a minimum of 4
bots as your 'cube' you can monitor is reduced to that bound by a chord at
45 degrees. In lemans terms you now have a 283x283x283 box and bang now you
need 4x the number of bots to monitor the same area, that's 4x as many
connections, 4x as much bandwidth on the uniserver and world server, 4x as
many bots to monitor over.

To be blatantly honest JP what with this ridiculous licensing, the self
destruct SDK and now this you are plain begging for the Active Worlds SDK
users to turn away from the SDK and move to other platforms. The SDK users
are the most powerful group of users in Active Worlds, more powerful than
Active Worlds Inc itself, regardless of which galaxy or universe they are
in, for every feature put into the browser or world there is almost
certainly a bot which one of us has made that does it twice as good as
whatever your own developers can come up with and hell, its what you would
expect, there's about 20 SDK developers vs the 2 programmers you have.

The company I am working for is soon to blow about $40,000 on developing a
massive RPG using the Active Worlds technology, and with the help of perhaps
100 custom bots I have even helped convince them that the platform has a lot
more potential - what I refuse to do is to waste their money by spending 40
thousand dollars on a project that Active Worlds Inc is going to sabotage by
destabilising the SDK by making stupid changes, adding low grade security
and logic bombs and other such things.

The SDK coders provide the majority of your income (at least for the main
universe); as you would have far fewer worlds if we did not make tools for
their owners to support them, nor would you have places like AWRPG, AD&D or
AWBingo etc with 40 users a piece.

The fact is this, you must:
* Remove the logic bomb for debugging
* Remove the license file (or at least make one that actually works)
* Convert back to the 400m cube range
* Complete the 4.1 documentation for the SDK
* Fix the crashes in the SDK on world disconnect etc.

If you need a financial reason why here it is: The SDK developers,
professional designers etc control 80%+ of all resources in or relating to
Active Worlds in terms of technology, designs and objects, now when we
consider that the platform has become unstable due to ridiculous and poorly
judged decisions from AWI we will have an extremely high chance of getting
together and building a new 3D platform from scratch - hell most of the
interactive systems already exist in most of our bots anyway, and it
wouldn't take long to add every feature Active Worlds has and that means
your business would drop very, very fast.

Stop sabotaging the damned SDK and its users, we are the one group of users
you cannot afford to lose.