pc // User Search

1  |

text box

Jul 23, 2000, 8:56am
Instead of adding all that overhead try putting concepts code into the
change event in Text1 and you shouldn't need a timer at all
PC

[View Quote]

Immmmmmmmmmm Back!

Jul 23, 2000, 3:05am
Here is a great free C compiler
http://www.borland.com/bcppbuilder/freecompiler/
PC

[View Quote]

Re: Time for poll!

Jul 23, 2000, 3:15am
Better documentation regarding running a world server under Linux or FreeBSD
using Linux emulation. And specifically a FULL listing of all the commands
available to use in world.ini . Also anything (like tech notes) that would
make developing a cvs system easier for both updates and backup.

PC

E-mail

------=_NextPart_000_001B_01BFF673.78401200

which os?
[View Quote] ------=_NextPart_000_001B_01BFF673.78401200

<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=3DContent-Type =
content=3Dtext/html;charset=3Diso-8859-1>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>which os?</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20
<DIV>"twisted horizon" &lt;<A=20
=
href=3D"mailto:joshua_trask at capecod.com">joshua_trask at capecod.com</A>&gt;=
wrote=20
in message <A=20
=
href=3D"news:397e0d90$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com">news:397e0d90$1 at server1=
..Activeworlds.com</A>...</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>K, if I get a no clue from one =
more person=20
I'll crack.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Just HOW do you send an e-mail =
from a console=20
app?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 =
size=3D2>-TH</FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_001B_01BFF673.78401200--

E-mail

------=_NextPart_000_0011_01BFF6EB.B24CFA80

No wonder info is scarce. You need to install a program that operates on =
the DOS platform and call it with a batch file or with another DOS =
program (or from the command line)=20
Its been a long time since I worked with DOS and the last language I =
used was Q-Basic. There is a way to write DOS runnable programs with =
Visual Basic but I never got into that end of it yet. Here are a few =
links that might help.
http://home.concepts.nl/~fiber/dose.htm
http://webopedia.internet.com/TERM/e/e_mail.html
http://www.allrealgood.ie/general_links.shtml
http://members.kingston.net/lewis/email.htm

if you are actually programming in VB then you aren't in a true DOS =
environment anyway. You could open a default e-mail client using the =
ShellExecute function in shell32.dll in the windows api and passing the =
desired address as an argument.
in declarations in a module paste:

Private Declare Function ShellExecute Lib "shell32.dll" Alias _
"ShellExecuteA" (ByVal hwnd As Long, ByVal lpOperation As String, _
ByVal lpFile As String, ByVal lpParameters As String, ByVal _
lpDirectory As String, ByVal nShowCmd As Long) As Long

then write a function to call it:
Public Sub OnEMail(address As String, subject As String, ok As String)
'in with an e-mail address in the stuff string
'opens the default e-mail client and xxx if its format is valid
'Copyright Blackrose Computer Systems
'http://www.blackrosesoftware.com
Dim tempvara As String

If InStr(address, " at ") <> 0 Then
tempvara =3D "mailto:" & address & "?subject=3D" & subject
ShellExecute 0, vbNullString, tempvara, vbNullString, vbNullString, =
1
ok =3D "OK"
Else
ok =3D "INVALID E-MAIL ADDRESS"
End If

End Sub

you could write an ole routine to send something invisibly to the user =
depending on which is the default client and whether ole is supported in =
it.=20
Good Luck!

PC

[View Quote] ------=_NextPart_000_0011_01BFF6EB.B24CFA80

<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=3DContent-Type =
content=3Dtext/html;charset=3Diso-8859-1>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>No wonder info is scarce. You need to =
install a=20
program that operates on the DOS platform and call it with a batch file =
or with=20
another DOS program (or from the command line) </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Its been a long time since I worked =
with DOS and=20
the last language I used was Q-Basic. There is a way to write DOS =
runnable=20
programs with Visual Basic but I never got into that end of it yet. Here =
are a=20
few links that might help.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><A=20
href=3D"http://home.concepts.nl/~fiber/dose.htm">http://home.concepts.nl/=
~fiber/dose.htm</A></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><A=20
href=3D"http://webopedia.internet.com/TERM/e/e_mail.html">http://webopedi=
a.internet.com/TERM/e/e_mail.html</A></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><A=20
href=3D"http://www.allrealgood.ie/general_links.shtml">http://www.allreal=
good.ie/general_links.shtml</A></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><A=20
href=3D"http://members.kingston.net/lewis/email.htm">http://members.kings=
ton.net/lewis/email.htm</A></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>if you are actually programming in VB =
then you=20
aren't in a true DOS environment anyway. You could open a default e-mail =
client=20
using the ShellExecute function in shell32.dll in the windows api and =
passing=20
the desired address as an argument.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>in declarations in a module =
paste:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Private Declare Function ShellExecute =
Lib=20
"shell32.dll" Alias _<BR>"ShellExecuteA" (ByVal hwnd As Long, ByVal =
lpOperation=20
As String, _<BR>ByVal lpFile As String, ByVal lpParameters As String, =
ByVal=20
_<BR>lpDirectory As String, ByVal nShowCmd As Long) As Long</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>then write a function to call =
it:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Public Sub OnEMail(address As String, =
subject As=20
String, ok As String)<BR>'in with an e-mail address in the stuff=20
string<BR>'opens the default e-mail client and xxx if its format is=20
valid<BR>'Copyright Blackrose Computer=20
Systems<BR>'http://www.blackrosesoftware.com<BR>Dim tempvara As=20
String</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>If InStr(address, " at ") &lt;&gt; 0=20
Then<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; tempvara =3D "mailto:" &amp; address &amp; =
"?subject=3D"=20
&amp; subject<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; ShellExecute 0, vbNullString, =
tempvara,=20
vbNullString, vbNullString, 1<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; ok =3D=20
"OK"<BR>Else<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; ok =3D "INVALID E-MAIL =
ADDRESS"<BR>End=20
If</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>End Sub</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>you could write an ole routine to send =
something=20
invisibly to the user depending on which is the default client and =
whether ole=20
is supported in it. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Good Luck!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>PC</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20
<DIV>"twisted horizon" &lt;<A=20
=
href=3D"mailto:joshua_trask at capecod.com">joshua_trask at capecod.com</A>&gt;=
wrote=20
in message <A=20
=
href=3D"news:397edf63 at server1.Activeworlds.com">news:397edf63 at server1.Act=
iveworlds.com</A>...</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>DOS</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
style=3D"PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px =
solid">
[View Quote] ------=_NextPart_000_0011_01BFF6EB.B24CFA80--

Re: Voice and sound messages :)

Jan 21, 2000, 5:04pm
Go to http://www.hearme.com , set up a voice html page and you can run an
instance of Netscape or Explorer in the background. To talk you then just
press F9...tested and works well while in AW.
PC

[View Quote]

Re: Voice and sound messages :)

------=_NextPart_000_0018_01BF6F6F.0F9C0780

That works great too if everyone is near the object that calls up the =
page but if you run the html page as a seperate instance in the =
background you dont lose touch even if you go to different worlds or =
even out of aw...
[View Quote] Holistic1=20

[View Quote] Go to http://www.hearme.com , set up a voice html page and you can =
run an=20
instance of Netscape or Explorer in the background. To talk you =
then just=20
press F9...tested and works well while in AW.=20
PC=20
[View Quote]
------=_NextPart_000_0018_01BF6F6F.0F9C0780

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type><!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0 =
transitional//en">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>That works great too if everyone is =
near the object=20
that calls up the page but if you run the html page as a seperate =
instance in=20
the background you dont lose touch even if you go to different worlds or =
even=20
out of aw...</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
<DIV>horizons &lt;<A=20
href=3D"mailto:horizonsx at hrfn.net">horizonsx at hrfn.net</A>&gt; wrote in =
message=20
<A=20
=
href=3D"news:3889d120 at server1.Activeworlds.com">news:3889d120 at server1.Act=
iveworlds.com</A>...</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Don't even bother with the instance in the back =
just use the=20
integrated browser in aw that is on the hearme page thing. Me and my =
pals use=20
it when we want to talk real time</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Horizons</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>"Never ever stick a pin in your finger and say=20
cool"</FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>288611</FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
style=3D"BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; =
PADDING-LEFT: 5px">
[View Quote] =
href=3D"mailto:3888BB8F.C3594D23 at mail.cisc.k12.pa.us">3888BB8F.C3594D23 at m=
ail.cisc.k12.pa.us</A>&gt;...</DIV>Paltalk=20
(freeware) also works well in AW.&nbsp; Even in hands free.&nbsp; =
The only=20
problem would be that it is only one to one...although they say that =
they=20
are working on a multi call version.=20
<P>www.paltalk.com=20
<P>Holistic1=20
[View Quote] ------=_NextPart_000_0018_01BF6F6F.0F9C0780--

Contacts and transports wiped at setup

Jul 25, 2000, 2:54am
there should be an option when setting up over a previous installation of
the client to choose not to have your contact list deleted and your
transport list as well.
PC

Contacts and transports wiped at setup

Jul 25, 2000, 12:00pm
I know that but I forgot to do it this last time and lost a lot of great
sites. Optimumly there would be a zero learning curve for the client and
this is just one small thing.
[View Quote]

Re: Contact List Limit

------=_NextPart_000_012C_01BFFD5B.191F5BC0

No only on signon. After the signon both clients would be aware of each =
other and any change could be sent via a datagram relayed to the other =
client via aw. This way all that would be required would be a "ping" =
every 120 seconds or so. AW wouldn't even have to use the same server to =
deliver the datagrams. In any event, AW will have to remove this contact =
limit somehow if they want to grow as a company. All the major =
communicators (ICQ,AIM etc) don't have these limits despite incredible =
traffic. ICQ uses a less centralized system but AW could do this if =
Yahoo did it. I would suspect they could easily handle all aw's contact =
info on a 486 FreeBSD box with even a cable connection. I'm sure they =
have T-3 at least.
To get back to the hypothetical 600 connected clients with 100 contacts =
each, correct me if I am wrong but isn't the full list pushed from the =
aw server every 60 seconds or so now?
that would be in this case 60,000 lookups causing an update of all 600 =
clients every 60 seconds. A rewriting of the list I believe. This is a =
costly solution as in 99% of the push updates the list being updated is =
unchanged. If all that was needed was a pass through ping =
client>server>client>server>client then any disc usage (lookups) would =
be kept to a minimum as they wouldn't be needed in most cases. Without =
so many disc lookups the system overhead would be drastically reduced =
and a contact limit could be set to a ridiculously high 5-10 thousand =
and that just to fend off hacker overload attempts. The overhead would =
be reduced on the client side as well.
The solution you have in Bone seems interesting but seems to me that the =
server overhead would be immense in that it is looking up several lists =
(and authentication too I'm sure) before pushing an update to several =
clients. (please correct me if this is inaccurate)
I think a lot of this redundancy is not needed.=20
PC

[View Quote] I don't see "only a fitgh of the computing overhead" here, while the =
contact list would be much less accurate.=20

AFAIK contacts should be using a "push" method, and the 100 slots =
maintained on the server do just that.

I agree that it is quite a load if the server has to browse through =
all the 100 slots on all conntected contacts, and i would not be =
surprized if there was some optimizaiton in place.

In bone i have a similar approach to contacts, and my optimization is =
to not only keep the clients contacts on the server using the "slots =
technique" (which is a list in the bone case), but also maintain a =
reverse-lookup list on each session saying who is interested in contact =
updates originating from that session.. the former is more for contact =
list maintainance and the latter for the actual determination of where =
to send contact updates. This puts more load on the processing of the =
contact list that a client send, however.=20

AFAIR bone does not have a contacts limit :)

Faber

"pc" <pcat at blackrosesoftware.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag =
news:3988781e$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
I don't understand the logic in keeping a full list of a clients =
contacts on the server at all. Why couldn't the server just
maintain 5 data fields per citizen, those being citizen name, a =
field indicating online or offline or disabled, a "handshake flag" and 2 =

others for future use. A client on signon could update field 2 IF =
that client wasn't marked invisible. The handshake flag could=20
contain a field that would be a default zero lets say and if a =
citizen had anyone blocked that would change to a 1 to indicate that an
online request should poll his client for an "ignore list" so to =
speak. when client 2 signed on it would poll the aw server for the
status of the contacts on his list. the AW server would react based =
on field 3 and either return the status or look up the ignore
list on the client requested. In this way AW could still middleman =
the transaction without the ridiculous overhead of searching
through 100 or more lists per client. This is a simplistic solution =
that could be refined by adding different options to the third
value in the server side array.
Another side effect would be an increased privacy to the client as =
their own contact lists wouldn't have to be stored on aw central. You =
could have unlimited contacts at a fifth of the computing overhead.

PC

[View Quote] The contacts are stored in the server, that means, the server =
maintains a field of 100 contact "slots" for each aw citizen currently =
connected. Then whenever another citizen connects or disconnects, the =
server has to browse all those contact arrays and check if anyone is =
interested in the presence or absence of the citizen that just =
(dis-)connected. If so, the notice about the presence state change is =
properly sent.

Now, if 600 People are connected, and each have 100 people on =
their contacts, the server would have 60000 citizen number comparisons =
to make just because of a single connect. This is the current state, =
which means the server can cope with it, but imagine the contact list =
would have 200 (which i belive is still a limit people would complain =
about) or even more slots.=20

So there has to be a limit to the size of the contact list.

The other approach, maintaining the contacts on the client side, =
would cause every connect to be broadcasted to the clients, and then =
discarded by most :). And this method would also break any hopes of =
being able to to opt-out of another guys contact list, since the weak =
security model here would invite people to "spy" on contact updates and =
break the rules.=20

Faber

"pc" <pcat at blackrosesoftware.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag =
news:39884f52$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
The bandwidth overhead of an unlimited contact list to aw should =
be minimal. Think about it...there are sites out there getting http hits =
at the rate of over 500 hits per second and handling it. Its beyond me =
how anyone can have more that 100 contacts on their list but it should =
be allowed for those who would.
PC

[View Quote] ------=_NextPart_000_012C_01BFFD5B.191F5BC0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>No only on signon. After the signon =
both clients=20
would be aware of each other and any change could be sent via a datagram =
relayed=20
to the other client via aw. This way all that would be required would be =
a=20
"ping" every 120 seconds or so. AW wouldn't even have to use the same =
server to=20
deliver the datagrams. In any event, AW will have to remove this contact =
limit=20
somehow&nbsp;if they want to grow as a company. All the major =
communicators=20
(ICQ,AIM etc) don't have these limits despite incredible traffic. ICQ =
uses a=20
less centralized system but AW could do this if Yahoo did it. I would =
suspect=20
they could easily handle all aw's contact info on a 486 FreeBSD box with =
even a=20
cable connection. I'm sure they have T-3 at least.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>To get back to the hypothetical 600 =
connected=20
clients with 100 contacts each, correct me if I am wrong but isn't the =
full list=20
pushed from the aw server every 60 seconds or so now?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>that would be in this case 60,000 =
lookups causing=20
an update of all 600 clients every 60 seconds. A rewriting of the list I =

believe. This is a costly solution as in 99% of the push updates the =
list being=20
updated is unchanged. If all that was needed was a pass through ping=20
client&gt;server&gt;client&gt;server&gt;client then any disc usage =
(lookups)=20
would be kept to a minimum as they wouldn't be needed in most cases. =
Without so=20
many disc lookups the system overhead would be drastically reduced and a =
contact=20
limit could be set to a ridiculously high 5-10 thousand and that just to =
fend=20
off hacker overload attempts. The overhead would be reduced on the =
client side=20
as well.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The solution you have in Bone seems =
interesting but=20
seems to me that the server overhead would be immense in that it is =
looking up=20
several lists (and authentication too I'm sure) before pushing an update =
to=20
several clients. (please correct me if this is inaccurate)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I think a lot of this redundancy is not =
needed.=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>PC</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20
<DIV>"faber" &lt;<A =
href=3D"mailto:Walter at Knupe.de">Walter at Knupe.de</A>&gt;=20
[View Quote] compressed of course, and your contacts will filter it out, I =
have=20
attached an example file the AW server would send you, the =
numbers I=20
wrote at complete random, so if you see your number here, I =
didn't do=20
it on purpose=20
=
:)</FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOC=
KQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_012C_01BFFD5B.191F5BC0--

can't post in worldbuilders

Jan 21, 2000, 9:00pm
Check that your AW Password and Cit name is configured in your newsbrowser
PC