pike // User Search

1  |

MrGrimm's MSVB SDK Wrapper

Nov 4, 2000, 11:53am
Hmmm when I use AwCreate why do I get compiler error: Argument not
optional?

Pike

[View Quote]

cracked browser

Oct 26, 2000, 5:44pm
Just Curious, how?

Pike
pike at mainsworth.freeserve.co.uk

[View Quote]

Object Checker idea

Oct 26, 2000, 5:38pm
After using the show errors (whatever its called) feature in my browser, I
coulddent help to notice the sheer number of errors in many worlds, ei file
not found texture not found etc etc. I figgure that its probably possible to
make a debbegger bot. Ie the bot would survey the desired area, and verify
all the URL's. Not sure how that would be done, perhaps attempt to download
the file? and of course keep a list of good obnames so's not to have to
check and re-check the same objects. As a bonus, it could possibly check the
syntax in the Action Box? and ( I dont know how) check the reffered textures
exist. And produce a list of errors with a variety of options such as
deleting correcting, igroring etc etc. I think this utility could be
extremely useful for owners of public building worlds, where dilly-o-witted
builders may leave a trial of infesting little black triangles, thus filling
up towards the cell data limit and maximizing the dreaded lad. I have myself
on many occasions clevery inserted a typo into the object name and totally
lost track of the offending triangle.
Any uptakes on this idea would be greatly appreciated.
thanx for reading through all that rubbish LOL.

Pike

pike at mainsworth.freeserve.co.uk

Object Checker idea

------=_NextPart_000_0012_01BFDFD6.DF0B0520

Close but no cigar, ...
*URL checker (ie looks up the object name.zip in the world object path)
*Remember all names of objects that have allready been verified (to =
speed things up and avoid checking a commen object over and over)
*syntax checking
*texture checking (still havent the foggiest if this is possible)
*spell checking kinda comes under syntax checking

hmm that is quit a lot to expect?=20
Hope this makes sence to others and not just me LOL
Pike
pike at mainsworth.freeserve.co.uk

[View Quote] O.K., let me see if I get any of what ur saying:

* a URL checking bot, that verifies the URL in an object exists
* remember last .RWX/.COB used (?)
* syntax-checking in Action field
* texture-checking
* spell-checking

did i get any of those right?

- Tony56 (aka Chandler56)
"Use your free will to the ULTIMATE advantage: Assassinate the =
Government!"

-----

[View Quote] ------=_NextPart_000_0012_01BFDFD6.DF0B0520

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Close but no cigar, ...</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>*URL checker (ie looks up the object name.zip in the =
world=20
object path)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>*Remember all names of objects that have allready =
been=20
verified (to speed things up and avoid checking a commen object over and =

over)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>*syntax checking</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>*texture checking (still havent the foggiest if this =
is=20
possible)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>*spell checking kinda comes under syntax =
checking</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>hmm that is quit a lot to expect? </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Hope this makes sence to others and not just me=20
LOL</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Pike</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2><A=20
href=3D"mailto:pike at mainsworth.freeserve.co.uk">pike at mainsworth.freeserve=
..co.uk</A></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
<DIV>"tony56" &lt;<A=20
href=3D"mailto:chandler56 at mail.com">chandler56 at mail.com</A>&gt; wrote =
in message=20
<A=20
=
href=3D"news:39f8a1ff at server1.Activeworlds.com">news:39f8a1ff at server1.Act=
iveworlds.com</A>...</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"MS Sans Serif" size=3D1>the setting's called: Show =
Object=20
Errors;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"MS Sans Serif" size=3D1></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"MS Sans Serif" size=3D1>O.K., let me see if I get =
any of what=20
ur saying:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"MS Sans Serif" size=3D1>* a URL checking bot, that =
verifies the=20
URL in an object exists</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"MS Sans Serif" size=3D1>* remember last .RWX/.COB =
used=20
(?)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"MS Sans Serif" size=3D1>* syntax-checking in Action =

field</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"MS Sans Serif" size=3D1>* =
texture-checking</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"MS Sans Serif" size=3D1>* =
spell-checking</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"MS Sans Serif" size=3D1>did i get any of those=20
right?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"MS Sans Serif" size=3D1></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"MS Sans Serif" size=3D1>- Tony56 (aka =
Chandler56)<BR>"Use your=20
free will to the ULTIMATE advantage: Assassinate the =
Government!"</DIV><BR>
<HR>
</FONT>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"MS Sans Serif" size=3D1>pike &lt;<A=20
=
href=3D"mailto:mike at mainsworth.freeserve.co.uk">mike at mainsworth.freeserve=
..co.uk</A>&gt;=20
[View Quote] extremely useful for owners of public building worlds, where=20
dilly-o-witted<BR>| builders may leave a trial of infesting little =
black=20
triangles, thus filling<BR>| up towards the cell data limit and =
maximizing the=20
dreaded lad. I have myself<BR>| on many occasions clevery inserted a =
typo into=20
the object name and totally<BR>| lost track of the offending =
triangle.<BR>|=20
Any uptakes on this idea would be greatly appreciated.<BR>| =
&nbsp;thanx for=20
reading through all that rubbish LOL.<BR>| <BR>| Pike<BR>| <BR>| <A=20
=
href=3D"mailto:pike at mainsworth.freeserve.co.uk">pike at mainsworth.freeserve=
..co.uk</A><BR>|=20
<BR>| <BR>| </FONT></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0012_01BFDFD6.DF0B0520--

Object Checker idea

Oct 27, 2000, 10:09am
I would certainly want to undertake such a project, although i fear my
programming ability does not stand up to the challenge by far. I have a
little (very little) experience with C and C++ but not edequet for it. I had
considered writing a Xelagot action script for it but of course it would
never be as versatile as making it entirely from scratch.
hhhmmmmmm
Maybe its time to buy a few more books on the required subjects LOL

Pike

PPW building

Oct 26, 2000, 6:16pm
I think it would be great if when a user x gained Privalages of user y, if
user y were notified or even asked to verify the request. ie:
Building Inspector : (user x) Would like to use your privalages, will
you permit this? (y/n).

And also is when a user used anothers PPW to build in a world, if in the
Object properties it said
Owner; 984238 (using 873487's PPW)
This would be of use, since from experience, builders that have been banned
from the world will get someone else's PPW and continue to build there.

Better Lighting effects

Oct 26, 2000, 6:24pm
I notice in AW3.0, one can ajust ambient lighting in a world, However I
think local lighting effects should be made possible. For example A room is
dark untill you tell it to be light (lol couldent think of any other
wording) or build a lamp or torch etc. Which would create light and dark
area's as in the real world. It would of cource cast shadows etc etc etc
etc. This would greatly add to the realistic quality of the software.
Possibly also make it possible to make a sun that rotates the world casting
shadows and a moon at night etc, perhaps pehaprs perhaps... :o)
Something else that could be handy would be someway of creating a mirror. I
dont know about the technical side of such an object that actually appeared
to reflect images would be but I just think it would be cool.
I dunno, maybe you dont want it too look realistic, or the technical aspects
of these ideas are such that would make it impossible to use. Maybe the idea
has already come up and been turned down? I dunnno.
Cheers for reading my utter garbage

Pike

pike at mainsworth.freeserve.co.uk