goober king // User Search

1  ...  41  42  43  44  45  46  |

On the road again!....hmmm....reminds me of a Willie Nelson song:)

Jul 10, 2003, 6:30pm
Sounds like a plan. I'll await your word.

Oh, and you are incorrect about boats. The only people who say that sort
of thing are those who have never experienced sailing before. :D

[View Quote] > Well...that's a long story.
> We will be in Boston in August, but have Tex's Mother's 80th Bday to attend
> on the 10th, and her campground to go to sometime probably in August.
> What we could do is communicate via my other email address once we know what
> our plans are for August?
> Sailing!.....Heck...boats are made for fishing boy!:)

[View Quote] --
Goober King
A goober's life is the life for you
awnews at awnews.org

On the road again!....hmmm....reminds me of a Willie Nelson song:)

Jul 10, 2003, 10:39pm
It only takes that much energy if you're racing them. But there's
nothing more relaxing than cruising downwind on a lazy summer day. Maybe
if there's time, you can come down and take a sail on my dad's boat! :D

[View Quote] > BTW...I have never sailed but love to watch America's Cup...HOWEVER...if I
> were going to exert THAT much energy I will do it with a rod and reel thank
> you:)

[View Quote] --
Goober King
It's about the trip, not the destination
awnews at awnews.org

On the road again!....hmmm....reminds me of a Willie Nelson song:)

Jul 11, 2003, 10:06am
Psst... I'm only across the border in Middletown. If I can make it up to
Boston, so can you. :)

[View Quote] --
Goober King
East Siiiiiide!
awnews at awnews.org

Object

Jul 19, 2003, 11:27am
mon·o·lith, n. -

1. A large block of stone, especially one used in architecture or
sculpture.
2. Something, such as a column or monument, made from one large
block of stone.
3. Something suggestive of a large block of stone, as in
immovability, massiveness, or uniformity.

[View Quote] > Does anyone still have picture of that monolith thingy in Alphaworld? That's
> first time I heard of that event in Alphaworld. I didn't know texture was
> for that purpose. I thought that texture was just created for a texture to
> be used for any object via command, not model. By the way, what is monolith?
> Is it one stone or something? O_O Maybe E N Z O can explain it to us since
> he was the one who, uh, planted it.
>
> --
> Legion
> Where in the world is E N Z O, oh and Eep too :P
>
> "I think, therefore I am" - Rene Descartes,
> 17th-century French philosopher, Earth
[View Quote] --
Goober King
Goober of monolithic proportions
awnews at awnews.org

An Unofficial Alphaworld Poll

Jul 19, 2003, 11:24am
You can't compare the Berlin Wall to AW GZ. The Berlin Wall was meant to
keep Berliners (and, by extension, all Germans) completely separated
from one another, hence why everyone was so anxious to tear it down. AW
GZ serves no such purpose.

However, Comit brings up an interesting point: Just how valuable is
virtual history? Is it really worth saving these few bits and bytes just
for the sake of nostalgia? You have to remember, this current AW GZ
design is not the first version that AW has seen, so why is this one
worth more to preserve? As other people have pointed out, the AW GZs are
already being preserved in AWGZ world, so one could simply move the
current GZ there as well and start from scratch.

In an environment that's completely based on technology, you can't live
in the past. The progress of AW technology is pretty much constant, and
the progress of the community (which includes its meeting places) should
follow suit.

[View Quote] --
Goober King
Living in the future
awnews at awnews.org

Decleration of Independence (AW)

Jul 21, 2003, 12:12am
You seem to be getting "democracy" confused with "capitalism". Democracy
is the governmental system, while capitalism is the economic system.
Granted, the line between the two has blurred considerably over the
years, but they still remain distinct.

As for "declaring independence" from AWI, that can already be done, and
already has been done by several enterprising individuals. The process
of declaring independence from AWI is called "buying a uniserver". If
AWI disturbs you that much, you are free to exercise that option and
take your virtual family with you. And, as I'm sure you can gather, many
people here would whole-heartedly support such a move...

[View Quote] --
Goober King
Movin' on up
awnews at awnews.org

LETS GET THIS STRAIGHT RIGHT NOW!!!!!

Jul 24, 2003, 12:18pm
You must find yourself wanting to be an awful lot, then. :P

[View Quote] --
Goober King
Yearning to be
awnews at awnews.org

Trivial Request

Jul 22, 2003, 2:40pm
Because while bottom-posting may make more sense from a continuous
reading standpoint, it's very counter-intuitive when you move to the
read. As far as ease-of-use is concerned, top-posting just makes more
sense, since you don't have to scroll down to find out what the person
said. If you really want to trace the history of the thread, you can
always scroll down to follow the quoted thread underneath the new post.

Oh, and posting inline is about the worst possible practice you could
use in a discussion as far as I'm concerned. Not only does it almost
always sidetrack the discussion, but it becomes hard to tell who wrote
what where when after a while. >_<

[View Quote] --
Goober King
Top-feeder
awnews at awnews.org

Trivial Request

Jul 22, 2003, 6:05pm
Just because people on USENET do it does not make it acceptable. It's an
atrocious practice that has been the root cause of hundreds of hijacked
threads and flame wars in these and other forums for years. You can't
interrupt someone while they're talking in real life to argue every
point they make, as the discussion would never go anywhere. This is how
it works in the newsgroups as well, as most inline threads wind up
nitpicking over some obscure detail that never had anything to do with
the original discussion in the first place.

As far as I'm concerned, if you can't comment on the general idea of a
person's post, or at least sum up their points in a couple paragraphs,
then don't bother commenting at all.

[View Quote] --
Goober King
Refraining from comment
awnews at awnews.org

Trivial Request

Jul 23, 2003, 10:45am
How can it be considered "best" when it's all just a question of
preference? Any decent newsreader (OE included, if I'm not mistaken) can
be set up to either top *or* bottom post, so the idea that one way is
somehow universally better than the other is ludicrous. Each method has
its own set of pros and cons, so it all depends on what you feel is more
important. If you think following some antiquated USENET standard is
more important than making it easier for other readers to see you wrote,
then having us spout our opinions at you obviously isn't going to change
your mind.

[View Quote] --
Goober King
Better from top to bottom
awnews at awnews.org

Trivial Request

Jul 23, 2003, 2:38pm
*smirk* Now who's being egotistical? You only have to switch to top
posting once, whereas we have to scroll down every time you post. You
are one person, we are many. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of
the few. You lose. :)

And as for any other newsgroups you may frequent, I highly doubt they're
*that* anal about top vs. bottom posting, especially with the wide
proliferation of OE users who have no choice in the matter. If they can
put up with it, so can you.

[View Quote] --
Goober King
Megalomaniacal
awnews at awnews.org

Trivial Request

Jul 23, 2003, 3:55pm
One more reason to not worry about USENET standards, then. :)

Don't get me wrong, I can understand why some are in place (i.e. Not
posting in HTML, not attaching binaries, etc.), but some are just too
trivial to pop a blood vessel over. :P

[View Quote] --
Goober King
How about USElessNET?
awnews at awnews.org

Trivial Request

Jul 23, 2003, 10:50pm
See, when I hear the word "netiquette", I think of "actions on the net
that are considerate of other posters/readers," not "a set of rules that
must be followed to the letter." That includes the No-HTML rule and the
No-Binaries rule, but I don't see how bottom-posting would fall under
that category. As I stated before, bottom vs. top posting is more a
question of style than of consideration. In fact, I would think that top
posting would be the more considerate of the two options, as it requires
the reader to do less work to read what you wrote.

But hey, that's just how I roll. Maybe you think you're doing your
readers a valuable service by making them scroll to read your post. I
never claimed to understand some of the USENET "logic." *shrug*

[View Quote] [View Quote] --
Goober King
Inane and arcane
awnews at awnews.org

Trivial Request

Jul 24, 2003, 12:28pm
*smirk* I'm sorry, but there's absolutely *no* good reason to get anal
over something as trivial as this. If you want to bottom post, that's
your preference, but to somehow argue it as better as if it were a
proven fact is utterly stupid. As I've said repeatedly in this thread,
it is a question of style, nothing more. Anyone who busts a gasket over
something like this really needs to get out more (which is one of the
reasons I avoid USENET, as it appears to be full of people like this).

[View Quote] > "goober king" <awnews at awnews.org> wrote in
> news:3f1eba12$2 at server1.Activeworlds.com:
>

> They don't put up with it. They beat the shit out of the person verbally,
> then give out the link to the OE-quotefix, an injection-based (I think) app
> that allows you to bottom post and use proper signature delimiters (dash-
> dash-space) in OE.
>
> I frequent alt.php and comp.lang.php. If I ever were to top post there, all
> the regulars would go crazy at me. The same would happen in nearly any
> other USENET group. So yes, they *are* that anal about it. With reason
> (mostly).
>
> KAH

Anal retentive
awnews at awnews.org

Citizen Ship hacked

Jul 22, 2003, 2:34pm
Umm... so we should give trojans to people who can't spell? Doesn't that
sound a little over the top to you? If that was the case, I guess you
should be thankful they don't give trojans to people who can't use
grammar correctly either. ;P

[View Quote] --
Goober King
Grammar Hacker
awnews at awnews.org

Citizen Ship hacked

Jul 23, 2003, 10:53pm
Hey Hamster, there's this spiffy little drug they came out with a while
back that might help you with your problem. I believe they call it
"Ritalin"; otherwise known as a "chill pill". You should look into it. :P

[View Quote] [View Quote] --
Goober King
Ritalin pusher
awnews at awnews.org

Citizen Ship hacked

Jul 23, 2003, 10:55pm
Could it be the voices inside your head? :P

[View Quote] --
Goober King
The voice inside your head
awnews at awnews.org

To The Commuities From OneSummer

Jul 22, 2003, 9:59pm
Umm, PC, you do know that you can't take the username if it's already in
use, right? If someone were to try and change their name to "Goober
King", it would tell them it's already in use (However, they could
register "Goober Klng" and that would work fine).

Citizens are uniquely identified by their citizen number. If you want to
track down who's who, you use that number as that can never be changed.
This doesn't apply to tourists, of course, which I think M a t t has
been using as of late.

[View Quote] > Hi everyone:

[View Quote] --
Goober King
Taking account
awnews at awnews.org

AW Voting

Aug 5, 2003, 7:44pm
http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame21.html

[View Quote] --
Goober King
Flame Warrior
awnews at awnews.org

AW Voting

Aug 6, 2003, 9:46am
*smirk* Apparently, your psychoanalytical skills could use some serious
work. I don't think I've ever sucked up to anyone, and in fact, as I'm
sure you've noticed in these NGs, I'm an equal-opportunity flamer when
necessary.

Either that, or you're just reaching for a response, *again*. :P

[View Quote] --
Goober King
Reach out and touch someone
awnews at awnews.org

AW Voting

Aug 6, 2003, 8:01pm
Umm, exactly which Warriors am I attempting to impress? Believe me, if
it's anyone, it definitely isn't you.

Besides, that one sentence doesn't even explain the entire concept of
Sycophant, whereas Tireless Rebutter fits you to a T (as this discussion
is clearly demonstrating). :P

[View Quote] [View Quote] --
Goober King
Big Dog
awnews at awnews.org

AW Voting

Aug 6, 2003, 8:04pm
That would be Vanguard Enterprises, another empty shell of a company
much like AWC is now. In a way, that means that AWI was never really
affected at all. Vanguard merges with AWI, then de-merges as AWC,
leaving AWI untouched. :)

[View Quote] --
Goober King
Untouchable
awnews at awnews.org

AW Meeting

Aug 9, 2003, 9:28pm
How about AWsylum? :)

Seriously, though, as I'm sure you've all noticed, The Lady isn't going
to be swayed by a few NG trolls. I'm sure she probably doesn't even pay
any attention to the "non-believers" and does what she pleases. If you
want to get her attention, your best bet is to just ignore her
completely. Don't go to her "meetings" and don't reply to her threads.
Eventually, she'll get the hint that no one really cares about what she
has to say, and will shut up.

Now, if only we could apply that strategy to some of the *other*
miscreants in here... :P

[View Quote] --
Goober King
The inmate running the AWsylum
awnews at awnews.org

Blocking

Aug 13, 2003, 9:24am
Actually, the newsgroups are kind of its own beast. Lots of people, for
whatever reason, act completely different in the NGs than they do in AW.
My guess is that, in AW, there's more pressure to get your messages out
as soon as possible in order to carry on a discussion, so people are
less likely to plan their response and wind up letting more of their
true selves show through. :)

[View Quote] --
Goober King
Showing through
awnews at awnews.org

To All Things... An Ending

Aug 15, 2003, 1:34am
Two years ago, I wrote an edition of StVMP for AWNews where I described
my first experience in AW. I described how I was filled with awe as I
watched scenes download around me, and felt compelled to explore this
new frontier whenever possible. It was this feeling that drove me to do
whatever I could to try and help solve AW's problems, so other people
wouldn't have to worry about them and be as I was: someone cheerfully
lost in a virtual world.

I then ended that opinion piece with the following paragraph:
"There are days where I think of trying to go back to those days of
wandering: Abandon UTN, abandon AWNews, abandon the hoards of telegrams
and contacts, leave behind all the rhetoric and flames of the
newsgroups, get a new account, and simply wander off into the sunset.rwx
in search of my next big adventure. That, I think, would be a very
fitting ending indeed..."

Well, folks, that day has finally arrived. After two years, I've made it
painfully obvious to myself that there's really nothing I can do to help
stave off AW's problems. The only person who can do that is Rick Noll,
and he has made it painfully obvious that he isn't able, or willing, to
do what it takes to fix said problems.

As for me, I'm just tired. Tired of feeling forced to help a community
that apparently has no interest in helping itself. Tired of depending on
undependable people. Tired of watching people who are more interested in
destroying each other than helping each other. And most of all, I'm
tired of myself making empty promises that I know I can't keep.

And so, today it all ends. Universal Town Network will be dropping off
the face of the Net as Computerizer (UTN's host) wipes his web space in
the coming weeks. The HQs will remain open, but will no longer be
updated. The AWNews.org domain will expire on Sept. 19th, and the AWNews
webspace will be shut down shortly thereafter. If anyone really wants to
take on these projects in my place, feel free to contact me in AW (don't
bother contacting me through the NGs, as I won't be reading them
anymore), but considering the current demeanor of the community, I doubt
I will find any serious takers.

And as for me, I'm going to get back to what I should have been doing
since I got here way back in 1996: building, exploring, and enjoying
other people's hard work. After all, I know all too well the toils of a
thankless job, so it's time I started thanking others for theirs.

Farewell, AW Community. It was fun while it lasted.

Active Worlds Medias

Sep 2, 2004, 9:16pm
How could you forget the one that started it all?! :)

Active Worlds Radio (AWRadio)

http://www.awradio.com
activate url http://awradio.mine.nu:8200
Owners:
Archergirl (#324219)
LdyMagick (not sure of the cit num)

[View Quote] > Hi all !

> Since I am the media director of the Cy Awards, I need an updated list of
> all the medias in the AW universe, so instead of doing a private list for
> me, I thought about making a website containing all the medias in AW
> including TV stations, radio stations and papers. You could also find there
> some info about these medias, like how to watch it, their official website,
> etc... and maybe how to make your own TV Station and stuff like that...
>
> Before I get started, I need to know all of them. I already made a list of
> the stations I know with few informations, located on
> http://www.aw-unreal.com/files/awmedias.htm
>
> I would like you to check it out, and report me any mistakes or innacurate
> information. Also, if you know an AW media which is not listed or you have
> additionnal information about one of them, please let me know and I'll add
> them.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Weizer #332602
> gsoucis at magma.ca

VRT?

Nov 21, 2004, 3:47pm
I believe the answer you're looking for is that VRT is actually based on
UTC, which is the same as GMT. Since there is no DST in UTC/GMT, VRT
doesn't use it either.

Not to be too terribly shameless, but if you're looking for a way to
make a VRT clock with Javascript, check out the VRT Clock on the AWRadio
Schedule page (http://awradio.com/schedule.htm). If you need any help
understanding it, gimme a gram. :)

[View Quote] --
Goober King
In his own time
gooberking at gkstudios.net

Megaplanets bad uni

Feb 11, 2005, 10:21am
If you travel up the directory tree of the megaplanets site
(http://www.megaplanets.com points to
http://www.mnj2k5.ho8.com/virtual3d/mpu36/), you'll find this:

http://www.mnj2k5.ho8.com/john.html
http://www.mnj2k5.ho8.com/matt.html

Might these be the guys responsible?

[View Quote] --
Goober King
Virtual Investigator
http://www.gkstudios.net

Reason why Alphaworld GZ never changes?

Mar 10, 2005, 12:47am
Figured I'd come out of hiding to inject some *civility* into this
discussion. To those people who think the newbies want to "destroy" AW
GZ, let me explain a few things:

First, AlphaWorld (AW Prime) is the largest world in ActiveWorlds. As
such, it has the highest capacity and the most free space for building.
You can claim there are other worlds to build in, but none offer the
kind of freedom and variety that AW Prime offers. So people are going to
want to come to AW.

Second, because of this, AW Prime is also the most popular world (other
than AWGate). You can say that people can visit all kinds of other
worlds, but the fact remains that AW Prime is where the people are, and
new people want to go where everyone else is going.

Thirdly, because of the first two points, AW Prime is the most *active*
world. As the object counter in GZ will attest, new buildings are going
up constantly, and parties and events are happening all the time, if you
know where to look.

Now, if a new user were to hear these points, they would think it's the
greatest world ever. So imagine their surprise when they teleport into
AW Prime to find an area using crude-looking objects with cartoonish
textures (by today's standards) filled with silent, idle users and
surrounded by a chaotic mass of unfinished builds and garish
advertisements. If you were that new user, do you think you'd be
inclined to stick around this morbid place? I think not.

The fact is, AW Prime is the best world ActiveWorlds has to offer, and
unless AWI is willing to make an AW2 world that's the exact same size
but with a better set of objects and textures, this world is all we got.
As such, if we want to entice new users to stay and bring this community
back to what it once was, something needs to change. Since GZ is the
first thing users see when they go there, don't you think they should
see AW's best face, not it's oldest (especially since most won't
understand the history in the first place)? As someone else mentioned,
we can easily move the GZ to AWGZ world for preservation, and people can
visit it whenever they want and see it in it's pristine state.

So what's it going to be folks? AW's past or AW's future?

[View Quote] --
Goober King
Looking past the future
http://www.gkstudios.net

Reason why Alphaworld GZ never changes?

Mar 10, 2005, 8:03pm
How is that any different from moving the current GZ to another
location/world while keeping all the builds in tact? I'm sure it would
be a simple matter to keep all the timestamps on the objects the same.
Isn't that what AWGZ world is for?

One other point I neglected to bring up in my original post: It's not
like this is the only version the AW GZ that's ever existed. When AWI
updated GZ the last time, no one seemed to shed many tears over that
version. So why should this version be suddenly different?

[View Quote] --
Goober King
Breaking the winds of change
http://www.gkstudios.net