ormondt@cvwrf.state.ut.us (the wanderer) // User Search

1  |

Preston 30 is out

May 23, 2000, 7:22pm
anbugera at videon.wave.ca (Agent1) wrote in
<392a02e9 at server1.Activeworlds.com>:

>Is there a reason this message went through the moderator?
>
>-Agent1

[View Quote] There is no moderator in Bots, what makes you believe that it first went
through a moderator?

--

The Wanderer
Travel Well and may your Journeys be safe!

Preston 30 is out

May 23, 2000, 7:22pm
anbugera at videon.wave.ca (Agent1) wrote in
<392a02e9 at server1.Activeworlds.com>:

>Is there a reason this message went through the moderator?
>
>-Agent1

LOL...just noticed that there is indeed a moderator in bots now.

--

The Wanderer
Travel Well and may your Journeys be safe!

test

Nov 30, 1999, 6:30pm
ormondt at cvwrf.state.ut.us-spamless wrote in
<3842dddc$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com>:

[View Quote] EBG-13
--

Gur Jnaqrere

posts

Dec 7, 1999, 7:08pm
<384d1122$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com>:

>Maybe they are cleaning out older posts from their server. Just a thought.

[View Quote] Or more likely, your Outlook Express is set to clear them from your local
machine after X days.

--

The Wanderer

Surfing the web with activeworld

Mar 19, 2000, 6:21am
rar1 at acsu.buffalo.edu (Goober King) wrote in
<38d14b68$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com>:

>All you have to do is have Netscape already running when you click on a
>url in AW. If you don't have Show -> Web on in AW, AW will send the URL
>to whatever external browser is running at the time (Netscape or IE)

You may also need the following in the Aworld.ini file

[browser]
name=NETSCAPE

--
The Wanderer
trormond at inet-1.com.dont
Remove the dot dont after com to reply by email

Worls Spotilights?

Mar 25, 2000, 11:13pm
y (Modrd) wrote in <38dccc90$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com>:

>I wish aw would have a World Spotlight of the Week,where every week
>they'd find a cool world and then put its name and owner on the greeting
>message in gateway and AlphaWorld,that way people would get their worlds
>their fare share of world traffic!

This used to happen both with a world of the week and an AW location of the
week. Moria oversaw this, but that is another story for another day. AWEC
then took up the torch and now I believe that Bille heads a community
spotlight effort on AWEC's behalf. If I remember correctly, the emphasis
was to be on Alpha World communities, individual worlds, and RL cultures
(basically any community basis that was submitted); however, I am not
positive how that is actually implemented now. Another ear you might want
to tickle with this is Lucrezia Borgia.

Without going into too much detail, let me tell you a little history from
the secret chronicles of AW. There have always been and will always be
factions within the AW community. Lucrezia and a small number of other
citizens formed a quiet little group which had one purpose: The
preservation of the AW Community and hopefully the reconcilliation of the
many factions of that community. Out of that group seeds were planted that
grew to be AWEC, AWHS, AWUNIV, the Cy Awards and many other institutions
and groups. Unfortunately the reconcilliation was more difficult than
first believed and the pressures too great. Many of that small group
appear to have faded into the masses or become homeless wanderers in AW
because of those pressures. Only one had the courage to continue that work
not only in private but within public view. Has it been an easy road for
her? No, trust given has been intentionally and accidentally betrayed.
Hate has been the least of the vile things thrown her way. How much of
that did she, does she deserve? Very little if any, but such is the price
of fighting for a cause.

You are a great woman Lu, and all in all you've done well. Thank you.

--
The Wanderer
trormond at inet-1.com.dont
Remove the dot dont after com to reply by email

A little thingy :)

Apr 28, 2000, 3:46pm
Justefyde at hotmail.com (Just In) wrote in
<390902c4$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com>:

>so post the jpg here... so long as its not incredibly huge... I'd
>appreciate it

[View Quote] *******LINK********

*******LINK********

Or just follow the link.

--

The Wanderer
Travel Well and may your Journeys be safe!

New Objects for Alpha - Thanks

May 6, 2000, 8:18am
mizzy at lineone.net wrote in <3911dd54$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com>:

>Bigger thanks should go to YOU for making these!!
>You have made a lot of people very happy.
>The slanted poles and new street objects are my favourites
>Thanks again

[View Quote] Where can these marvels be viewed?

--

The Wanderer
Travel Well and may your Journeys be safe!

Fake Cys

May 17, 2000, 6:11pm
dmonix at home.com (chris Waddell) wrote in
<39228a29$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com>:

>yes, we are entering into the realm of law and the internet.
>Nothing is copy written because we write it, or say so. Nothing is copy
>written if you mail it to yourself in the mail and not open it.
>I am by no means advocating this. Right now it is common courtesy.
>If you say don't take this or more than this, well then we deal with
>ignorant people, who do steal or take items.

Actually all that is required for copyright to exist is that the work be
created in fixed form. See
http://www.loc.gov/copyright/circs/circ1.html#wccc

As to whether rwx scripts and texutures fall into works that are proctect,
see http://www.loc.gov/copyright/circs/circ1.html#wwp category 5:
Pictorial, graphic, and sculptural works.

--

The Wanderer
Travel Well and may your Journeys be safe!

Good news - AW in the black

May 22, 2000, 3:01am
eep at tnlc.com (Eep²) wrote in <3927e66a at server1.Activeworlds.com>:

>Interesting. But I want to know why losses are dictated in parentheses
>instead of as negative numbers--seems fairly mindless, eh?

Blame it on the accountants, they like it that way. Calculus is
mathematics, accounting is black magic :o-)

--
The Wanderer
trormond at inet-1.com.dont
Remove the dot dont after com to reply by email

Preston 30 is out

May 23, 2000, 7:22pm
anbugera at videon.wave.ca (Agent1) wrote in
<392a02e9 at server1.Activeworlds.com>:

>Is there a reason this message went through the moderator?
>
>-Agent1

[View Quote] There is no moderator in Bots, what makes you believe that it first went
through a moderator?

--

The Wanderer
Travel Well and may your Journeys be safe!

Preston 30 is out

May 23, 2000, 7:22pm
anbugera at videon.wave.ca (Agent1) wrote in
<392a02e9 at server1.Activeworlds.com>:

>Is there a reason this message went through the moderator?
>
>-Agent1

LOL...just noticed that there is indeed a moderator in bots now.

--

The Wanderer
Travel Well and may your Journeys be safe!

Fake Cy's Must Be Stopped!

May 25, 2000, 1:10pm
AlphaBit_Phalpha at bigfoot.com (AlphaBit Phalpha) wrote in
<392c8b43 at server1.Activeworlds.com>:

[snip]
>I've been pondering on what to do about non earned Cy's showing up in
>worlds.
>So far...as they are reported to me..I visit World Owners who obligingly
>remove them...thank you to all world owners who feel this way about the
>prestigous Cy:)

[snip]

>1.) A world found with an unearned Cy is reported to me...I go talk with
>the World Owner...If they refuse to remove it..they make themselves and
>anyone who is part of thier world community ineligible in the future of
>ever receiving one?

[snip]

>4.) Make sure the Community is aware of the unearned Cy and let them
>speak to the world owner?.....One at a time........:)

[snip]

>The Statue is copywrit in the fact that Raven Shadow was awarded a Cy
>Award for Excellence in Creative Vision and Application
>in the category of:
>Object Design/Texture Application
>on June 5th 1999 for all of his Statues he created and donated to our
>Community.
>
>P.S. I don't think it is AWCom, Inc.'s responsibility...I think it is
>ours as a Community to deal with this.
>What do you all think?:)

I believe that you have already answered the question quite well and from
your opening statements, it appears that you've already implemented option
1 and that it is indeed working. The Cy Awards are a community award and
alwasy have been; as such it is, as you state, up to the community to
police the situation.

--

The Wanderer
Travel Well and may your Journeys be safe!

Fake Cy's Must Be Stopped!

May 25, 2000, 4:25pm
Count_Dracula at bigfoot.com (Count Dracula) wrote in
<392d4251$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com>:

>I suppose we are all talking about the guy holding a ball over his
>head,right?If so,I was told that objects from AW Universetu is free for
>anyone to use.Go to http://aw2.mpl.net/awuniv/ and models,there you will
>find a zip called cygold.zip.I think if one first is granted permission to
>use objects and then been punished for using them,is very wrong. I want to
>add that I have no use for that particular object,but I think here is a
>conflict.Get a life people!

Good point, if it has been placed on the AWU path, which has always been
"open" for the plucking of objects and rightly so, without a password then
it is effectively a public domain object. Having said that, what is to
prevent someone from simply throwing a scale and color command into the
current Cy av and producing their own "original" golden/chartreuse/mauve Cy
statue?

The real issue is one of respect: Does an individual respect the
community? Does an individual respect the desire of a part of the
community to recognize others and as such the Cy award? Obiviously there
are those who will not claiming that they exist outside the community. I
feel a rant approaching at high speed, so I'll cut this short. Only those
who exist in total isolation are not part of a community. Being totally
isolated is not as easy as it might seem. One must ask, "Am I a positive
or a negative influence in the community?"

--

The Wanderer
Travel Well and may your Journeys be safe!

Fake Cy's Must Be Stopped!

May 30, 2000, 5:41pm
ricta at ricta.net (Who) wrote in <3933c291$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com>:

>Hmm.. no you didn't say that at all, maybe you should quote what you
>typed rather than rephrasing it to represent what you meant :)
>
>Anyway - its over with now.
>
>And I do read what is typed.

LOL, he did quote exactly what he said which I have included below

--

The Wanderer
Travel Well and may your Journeys be safe!

Quick Poll

May 26, 2000, 7:13pm
sawran at yahoo.com (Builderz) wrote in <392e772b$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com>:

>I vote B) I like em! But I think the older textures should still be on the
>server (under a different name) so we can still use them if necessary.
>
>-Builderz

[View Quote] C is the better choice. Some people built with those textures purposely
and now their creation have been changed without any choice on their part.
Don't get me wrong, I like the new textures better but they are NEW and as
such they should have NEW names.
--

The Wanderer
Travel Well and may your Journeys be safe!

A Step in the Right Direction...

Jun 8, 2000, 10:04pm
rar1 at acsu.buffalo.edu (Goober King) wrote in
<393ed04a$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com>:

[snip]
>Let's face facts, ever since COF introduced the registration
>fee for citizens, it's customer base dropped about 85% and they *still*
>haven't recovered from it.

I am curious as to how you've arrived at 85% as even an approximate?
Before the fees were introduced, we were only users (customers pay for
goods, services and so forth whereas users do not). World owners were the
only customers in existence at that point, so the true customer base
actually increased after the fees. Shortly before the fees were initiated
AW seemed to average around 400 users online almost 24 hrs a day -- note
this is simply the impression I received from the amount of time I spent
online and the number of users online at that same time; IOW, it's a guess.
Checking right now there are 274 users and customers online and that number
seems to varily widely by the hour. Even if we assume 274 as an average,
the drop is only 31.5%, nowhere near an 85% drop (that would be only 60
users and customers online as an average.)

Regardless of the drop in users (tourists) and customers (citizens/world
owners) who are simultaneously online, to really understand why CoF
responds to this line of criticism as they do, one must recognize the
reality that their customer base has increased dramatically since the fees
were put in place. It has in fact increased to the point of actually
returning a profit, a small one true but a profit nonetheless.

Having said all that, I agree with your points made later in your post and
in fact communicated those very ideas directly to Rick in spring 1997. I
am afraid, as you are, that due to the above reason your missive will be
received about as well as mine was. . . .

--

The Wanderer
Travel Well and may your Journeys be safe!

A Step in the Right Direction...

Jun 9, 2000, 6:45pm
eep at tnlc.com (Eep²) wrote in <39404e66$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com>:

>Perhaps Goober means an 85% drop in citizenships. There are around
>28,000 citizens now (although I debate that number) compared to the
>around 250,000 before 10/97 (when citizenship fees were introduced).
[snip]

How many of that "250,000" were actually active when the fees went into
effect? No one knows and no one can prove it either way. When I started
using AW in Nov 96 (that's pre-CoF still) there were already large
numbers of "vanished" users. Could they simply have been hiding? Sure,
AW is a huge place and there were no telegrams or green checkmarks in
those days (sounds so old to put it that way, LOL). They could also just
as easily been "NAC" for all intents and purposes.

>Also note that AW's "profit" (although mgib's done a good job of ripping
>that claim to shreds--and which can also be read on my AW history page)
>is not entirely based on citizenships but world/galaxy/universe servers,
>world/object contracts, etc. It seems some universe server buyers also
>want content (objects, textures, etc) which AWCI also receives
>compensation for (and is one reason why AWCI is hiring 3D modellers).
>But, supposedly, MOST of their revenue/profit/whatever comes from
>citizenships...but not ALL.

Which I noted when I said "Before the fees were introduced, we were only
users (customers pay for goods, services and so forth whereas users do
not). World owners were the only customers in existence at that point, so
the true customer base actually increased after the fees." and "users
(tourists) and customers (citizens/world owners)".

BTW, put a line feed between the -- and the first line of your signature.
Decent newsreaders automatically snip signatures but require a line feed
between the demarkation and the actual signature, it's annoying to have to
run to the bottom just to snip your sig when it would be done automatically
were the sig formed properly.

[View Quote] --

The Wanderer
Travel Well and may your Journeys be safe!

A Step in the Right Direction...

Jun 12, 2000, 6:39pm
eep at tnlc.com (Eep²) wrote in <3942bb93 at server1.Activeworlds.com>:

[View Quote] LOL...I do (obviously :o-). However, your sig just has the persnickety
habit of passing itself as message text even with the line feed. Have to
send it in as a bug report I guess.....

--

The Wanderer
Travel Well and may your Journeys be safe!

A Step in the Right Direction...

Jun 30, 2000, 12:20am
DarianKnight at hotmail.com (MPL Knight) wrote in
<395b45c8$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com>:

>I just read this and laughed...
>
>Ok.. so the "customer" base *has* risen since they started charging.
>Well DUH... when everyone goes from not having to pay to being told "to
>keep all this great stuff you need to start paying us for it", it's
>obvious.
>
>Secondly... 400 users? That is a far cry from citizens in there, as we
>all know that number you gave us was simply a number comprised of both
>citizens AND tourists.
>
>Both sides of the story here are a bit jaded...

If you're going to play the critic be accurate. I state quite clearly that
users represent citizens, world owners and tourists. Of course the number
I gave was a compilation of citizens and tourists, whatelse could it have
been? As far as having a jaded view, until you are also willing to
understand the situation from CoF's point of view, not agreed with it just
understand it, then you are unfit to determine whether any view is jaded or
not.

>AW just doesn't have much of a clue anymore. They said themselves that
>e-commerce wasn't pofitable (this is referring to a part of their
>customer base), because they didn't have enough interest (in the form of
>regular users) to show statistics that would interest companies.
>
>So, what does AW do? They charge money for the service of AW, which
>lowers the potential people in AW. Active Worlds neither promotes their
>service or has made a valid attempt to put ecommerce in their
>environment.
>
>Throwing up a mall and saying "tada!... now leave one world to go to
>another world just to shop :)"
>
>That is the most idiotic idea I have heard lately... you couldn't get
>the people who hang out in the AW world to leave there even with a stick
>of dynamite.rwx!
>
>well... maybe a powderkeg.cob.... :)
>
>In any event, I totally agree that AW has managed to kick themselves in
>the nuts (there is a first time for everything...) when they started
>charging for AW citizenships. By starting this practice, they pretty
>much ensured that they would NEVER be able to get enough people into AW
>to show companies that AW can be used for ecommerce.
>
>Personally, I think AW should just make it free for everyone (stop
>charging for cits), thus converting the ENTIRE user base into cits as
>well as opening the flood gates for new people to just walk into the
>place and stay for free, THEN go to the companies and say "See, we have
>huge horde of people using the service on a regular basis..." thus
>allowing AW to make alot more money from the business aspect.
>
>It's called advertising supported business model. Companies can afford
>to pay AW alot more than the entire citizen base can together.
>
>This is just an idea... but I tend to agree that AW has made a big
>mistake by charging for cits. Although there is alot more wrong with
>the way they have modeled their business model, I won't go into here...
>it would just take too much space.
>
>TTFN :)
>
>MPL Knight

[View Quote] --

The Wanderer
Travel Well and may your Journeys be safe!

curious

Jun 12, 2000, 6:40pm
icey at altavista.net (icey) wrote in <39415785$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com>:

>Sorry for my ignorance...and curiosity, but what does RWX stands
>for?...RenderWare...X...?

LOL...I'll answer here because the mess in Beta is a true mess. As you now
know Icey, X stands for script. Just as it stands for script in ActiveX.
Why X is designated for script is unknown to me.