baron // User Search

1  ...  3  4  5  6  7  |

HELP

Apr 8, 2001, 8:44am
First thing to check when you have connection problems is if your machine can reach the target. Open an MS-DOS prompt window (Start/Programs/ or Start/Programs/Accessories depending on the OS) and type "tracert auth.activeworlds.com". If you want to save the trace in a file (might be helpful for your ISP or AW support) type "tracert auth.activeworlds.com>c:\trace.txt". With the trace you can see where the connection problem is. If you get a "1 Destination host unreachable." it probably means you are behind a proxy and you'll have to add the proxy address and port in aworls.ini

HTH
Baron

[View Quote] > news:3acf08ab$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...

Helllllllp....please:)

May 19, 2001, 3:39pm
http://home.snafu.de/ruedden/dachs.htm

[View Quote]

Why is there so much hate here?

Jun 4, 2001, 4:00pm
PKs are always willing to learn and improve. We are not perfect but always try our best to help the community in any way we can. Also note that you can file a complaint or suggestion at peacekeeper at activeworlds.com if you feel something is not right. Now...how about telling us, (here in public if you wish or email at the PK email address) which PKs you contacted and they couldn't point you to the GET page? I asked you again around the end of April because of a similar post of yours and you didn't tell me, I find it hard to believe a PK didn't know the garbage removal procedure. Also, I gave you the URL to the GET page myself then so you can't claim now you didn't know about it. It was again on a porn issue, is it the same you are talking about now? Because if it is, please state the world this concerns. That complaint was about non patroled, unmoderated, R rated world, where any complaints are to be dealt by Flagg personally, I even gave you his email address. Just to set things straight here.

Baron

[View Quote]

Why is there so much hate here?

Jun 4, 2001, 4:13pm
Actually I read your posts, took me quite a while because they were too many, and I still can't see the point. If you think that you can free the net from porn and all other evil, I think you are bound to fail. Kids will have access to porn or anything else they want if they are not supervised by their parents. No one can watch or protect your kids if you don't do it yourself, simple as that. I asked two simple questions, how about answering those if you are interested in improving the way things are in AW?

Baron

[View Quote]

A brighter and better Active Worlds!!! Tom, please read

Jun 8, 2001, 11:51am
[View Quote] >Level 2 - question stage
>I went to Peacekeepers, <snip>

How about mentioning one (1) PK name that you contacted? I asked you then, I asked you again couple days back, you never answered. Of course I asked all PKs, then and now...surprise surprise, no one ever heard of you except from your posts here.

>At this time in mid April, if my memory serves me correct Baron from http://www.peacekeeper.net/specialrt.htm initiated contact with me and telegrammed me.
>We discussed briefly the process, though this person never contacted me again nor did they advise me to fill out any GET form which would have been obtained by clicking a trash can at Ground Zero in AW.

After the first contact (which was as you correctly mentioned initiated by me, you never contacted PKs) there was no reason contacting you again. During that "brief discussion" I directed you to the GET web page for object removal (not a trash can click but the equally effective solution of passing you the URL), thinking the porn was in AW and after you specified the objects were located at WildAW, I directed you to abuse at activeworlds.com and tom at activeworlds.com as Flagg is the only person that deals with WildAW. I took some time explaining to you the concept of patrolled worlds, obviously you never understood or agreed with it since you continue to mention PKs and GET regarding this complaint. Btw I checked the site you were reporting and my conclusion (as a concerned citizen since PKs have nothing to do with WildAW and its content) was the same as Flagg's...not porn. As for the reason the web host removed the pics while AWCom didn't, refer to Moria's post on the difference of hosting vs displaying pictures, which like so many these days you probably failed to read and/or understand.

After the absurd "porn is compared to rape" reply on my last post I decided there was no point posting on this matter, I just thought some untrue remarks needed to be cleared up. This is my last post on this, email peacekeeper at activeworlds.com if you have further questions or suggestions. FYI PKs have helped removing porn from numerous sites in patrolled worlds either by simply asking the user who put it there to remove it or by directing the complaint to GET.

Good luck with your porn free Internet crusade. Looks like you are going to need it.

Baron

disappearing newsgroups postings

Jan 11, 2002, 6:02am
news:3c35abe5 at server1.Activeworlds.com
news:3c34fa66 at server1.Activeworlds.com
You can check an older post of mine about OE local caching before getting frustrated that someone deletes your posts. news:3c09f87e at server1.Activeworlds.com . If the links to the messages IDs don't work for you make sure news.activeworlds.com is set as the default account in OE (Tools/Accounts/News/Set as default). Follow-up set to general.discussion.

-Baron

[View Quote]

Whispers

Jan 29, 2002, 5:49am
AFAIK they go through the world server who redirects them to the specified session#. So you need a cracked world server to do that which obviously leaves out all AWC and AWC hosted worlds.

-Baron

[View Quote]

Whispers

Jan 29, 2002, 12:21pm
I suppose Facter meant whispers can't be intercepted with a cracked client and he is correct in that. Any whisper hijacking has to be done on the server side since it's not a peer to peer communication nor a broadcast. Knowledge of the AW encryption protocol is required but as Roland once said if the exe is on your machine anything is possible.

-Baron

[View Quote]

Basic PC Security

Mar 6, 2002, 7:42am
If anyone is interested in security grc.com might be a start (actually I'd recommend http://nsa1.www.conxion.com/ to start with) but the shields up test is least to say insufficient, covers only 9 ports. To me all these "security tests" are a bad idea even if they run a full nmap -v yourip because they give a false sense of security...knowledge and common sense is the way to decent security, not firewalls and online tests. Anyway if you insist on running online scans here are some more alternatives for a more exhaustive test (which still means nothing):

http://security.norton.com/
http://www.hackerwhacker.com/
http://scan.sygatetech.com/
http://www.dslreports.com/scan
http://www.pcflank.com/
and the slightly different http://privacy.net/analyze/

Some firewall alternatives:
Sygate: http://www.sygate.com/swat/free/default.php
NIS: http://www.symantec.com/consumer_products/home-is.html
Tiny: http://www.tinysoftware.com/
Outpost: http://www.agnitum.com/products/outpost/
Look 'n' Stop: http://www.looknstop.com/En/telechargement.htm

Security=study, study, study and when you are done study some more...sounds like fun eh?

-Baron

[View Quote]

Corection: E N Z O and JP own AW now!

Jul 17, 2002, 5:50am
The 132 chars limit can be changed with a simple registry modification as you'll notice in this post, your text won't wrap. HKCU\Identities\GUID\Software\Microsoft\Outlook Express\5.0\News\Message Plain Character Line Wrap can be set to any value, I set it to 7fff (32767 chars). Of course under \5.0\Mail\ you can do the same for e-mail wrapping. As for the updates frequent visits to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com (which are a must, OE user or not) conveniently take care of everything.

To me it's the best solution for email-news; I've tried tons of programs, even wrote one when I was desperate with all the html bull I received and nothing comes even close to OE. I still use Lurker32 for fast offline queries (http://www.wugnet.com/csreviews/software/lurker32/) but the UI is just terrible. If only they added an html blocking feature it would be close to perfect, second most requested feature after *nix ports. Follow-ups set to general.discussion.

-Baron

[View Quote]

ATTN BRANT.....PK MATTER!!!

Oct 6, 2002, 3:58am
http://peacekeeper.net/ has all the information you might need about the PK org, for example a current list of PKs can be found at http://peacekeeper.net/members.htm.

-Baron

[View Quote]

new face cam in AW 3.4

Nov 16, 2002, 7:44am
Tools/Options/Send/News Sending Format/Plain text and uncheck the "Reply to messages using the format in which they were sent" checkbox.

-Baron

[View Quote]

new face cam in AW 3.4

Nov 16, 2002, 10:42am
Actually that setting doesn't have to do with the OS, it has to do with "Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1106" (which in fact is an outdated version, check out http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;Q331923). Anyway I always uncheck that option; I select the format in which I send email and news posts, I don't like it being dictated by the sender :)

-Baron

[View Quote]

Customs Aide Bot

Nov 19, 2002, 4:24pm
Open regedit, set HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities\{GUID}\Software\Microsoft\Outlook Express\5.0\News\Message Plain Character Line Wrap to 7fff. If you need more instructions check out http://www.codebaron.net/oe.html to see how you can bypass this limitation.

-Baron

[View Quote] > Mine's Outlook Express 6.0 and it won't let me set further than 132 characters.

Customs Aide Bot

Nov 20, 2002, 4:14am
Btw that's supposed to be fixed by http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;Q331923, I can't confirm that though since my links don't break :)

[View Quote]

DirectX 9

Dec 20, 2002, 4:35pm
In article <3e0359aa$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com>, brandon at metrocast.net says...
> Just checked the directx website and it says nothing about a public release of 9.0 just the old beta, just
> wondering where you got this.
>
> --
> Zeo

[View Quote] --
Baron

DirectX 9

Dec 20, 2002, 7:02pm
In article <Xns92EAD0CB932Apetrossa at 64.94.241.201>, petrossadeletethis at msn.com says...
> tnx for the tip, it improved the working of my tv card with 100%, i even can run now AW in the forground and the TV on top without any problems. Under the 8 version the TVcard practically stopped working...
>
> Chaz

Is it a Pinnacle PCTVPro PCI by any chance? :) Exactly same thing happened to me, image was jerky, missing frames, lock-ups with newer VGA drivers; all seem to run smooth now. Didn't notice any change in AW but the TV issue alone was worth it.

--
Baron

Music Survey

Jan 25, 2003, 1:46am
In article <3e31cc93 at server1.Activeworlds.com>, NCC-71854 at USS-Venture.Starfleet.UFP says...
> Lightyear isn't a unit of time. It's a unit of distance.

I thought it was just a normal year, only with less calories.

--
Baron

HAPPY BIRTHDAY FLAGG MAN!!!

Jan 30, 2003, 3:00pm
In article <3e38b4ce at server1.Activeworlds.com>, Daphne at my.activeworlds.com says...
> Today is the day!!!
>
> You said you wanted no fuss but you can't expect to get NOTHING from your
> fans in AW!!!
> SO ------------------------->>>>>>
>
> Wishing a very happy birthday to Tom and the very best wishes for the
> future!!!

Happy birthday Tom, best of luck with your career :)

--
Baron

Vandalism and the Dying off of AW

Feb 15, 2003, 8:41pm
In article <3e4e76ac at server1.Activeworlds.com>, Defiance at micro$oft.com says...
> He has access to ISPs in Venezuela, USA, Australia, Phillipines,
> Taiwan....yeah riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight, dream on.

The users you see changing IPs like that are doing what is often referred to as "open proxy rape".
Especially in countries like Korea, Brazil, Taiwan and China "admins" often fail to secure their
networks and properly authenticate their users thus providing free, unlimited, anonymous access to
their resources; this is very much appreciated by the scum of the universe, e-mail "marketers"
aka spammers. The only way to deal with this is to script/code a bot which will boot based on an
IP list, the concept is similar to black hole lists used for spammers.

Perhaps it would be a good idea for AWI to feed a list like ORDB or Openrbl to the router's or
firewall's deny list, most of these proxies are in these lists because of spam relay; I can't
imagine a legit customer raping an open proxy anyway.

--
Baron

Someone pass me a shotgun...

May 3, 2003, 8:29pm
In article <3eb42507 at server1.Activeworlds.com>,
strike at rapiercom.freeserve.co.uk says...

You already have it, select one of the messages and then from the menu
Message/Block sender. Your news client has given you the ability to choose what
you read, use it.

--
Baron

Newsgroups posts lost?

Jun 25, 2003, 3:26pm
Ok, am I missing something here or has the NG admin managed to lose over 6
years of posts? I hope it's just a misconfiguration of the news server.

200 news DNEWS Version 5.5h2, S0, posting OK
..
list
215 list of newsgroups follows
worldbuilders 114223 113669 y
beta 49422 48161 y
wishlist 58109 57609 y
sdk 30312 30187 y
bots 27417 27252 y
community 125882 124469 y
general.discussion 30791 29809 y
..

--
Baron

Newsgroups posts lost?

Jun 26, 2003, 3:00pm
In article <3efb13db$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com>, enzo at activeworlds.com says...
> I rebuilt the piles and the index. It was neccesary as certain commands were
> no longer working (specifically the delete command).

If rebuilting an index and hist file makes you lose 5 years of data it sure
qualifies as the worst news server software ever. You might want to have
another go with the NG support though, I still believe it's a misconfiguration
or bad hist file (except is you have added/changed an expiration policy which
will get enforced with rebuild_piles). You did take a backup before the DB
operations, didn't you?

200 news DNEWS Version 5.5h2, S0, posting OK
list
215 list of newsgroups follows
worldbuilders 114227 113712 y
beta 49436 48161 y
wishlist 58115 57609 y
sdk 30319 30187 y
bots 27421 27252 y
community 125908 124469 y
general.discussion 30795 29809 y

To make sure everyone gets the picture, the first number after the newsgroup
list is the last article available on the server and the second is the first
available, e.g first article available on the server for SDK is from 27 Apr
2003, first article that was posted on the NG was from Roland on Aug 31 1998;
this is a disaster for those who used the wealth of information posted by
numerous programmers on this NG.

--
Baron

Newsgroups posts lost?

Jun 26, 2003, 6:36pm
In article <3efb3b9c$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com>, enzo at activeworlds.com says...
> I did not back it up before rebuilding.
>
> To my knowledge those posts did not exist on our NG for some time they would
> have expired. You might possibly have had them stored in your cache, in
> which case they probably are still there. Since I do not know enough about
> your reader or backup methods locally I am sorry but I cannot even begin to
> help find those posts.
>

> Sorry

As BB said, you don't need to know anything about the NG client, it's a server
backup principle before applying anything that can be disasterous (e.g.
patches, DB operations, automation, breathing on it, have a drunk fat lady in
the premises). Those posts did exist on the server 2 weeks ago, posts never
expired on your servers; I assure you I can tell the difference between cache
and articles on the server especially since I often check posts on Solaris
through telnet where NG cache has no meaning :)

Anyway since it appears you and most of the NG users (the silent majority) have
accepted the fact that the whole NG history is gone I won't add anything more.
In fact I don't complain for myself, I have all past posts from Nov 1997 till
Nov 2002 in Lurker32 (http://www.simtel.net/pub/pd/9970.html), when for some
weird reason I stopped the backup (duh). If anyone wants them, let me know.

Filesizes (including attachments)
Bots 3,248,019 NG000001.zip
Community 11,843,811 NG000002.zip
SDK 6,201,070 NG000003.zip
Wishlist 6,045,375 NG000004.zip
Worldbuilders 17,462,263 NG000005.zip
general 6,779,411 NG000013.zip

--
Baron

Newsgroups posts lost?

Jun 27, 2003, 6:01pm
In article <3efca142$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com>, leo at realPANTStourvision.com
says...
> wow Rick our point here IS you LOST a lot of posts you should never have lost....there is NO NEED to lose these...
> A backup of your DB BEFORE you make mods or delete anything will keep you from losing this data. It's important to have someone that knows what they are doing do things like this for this very reason. DATA is gold in the new world. And your company is losing data/gold with actions like this.
>
> OK Laymans terms....lets say a user just joins AW and finds the newsgroups and decides to learn from them....he can only go back as far as your last modification to the NG...as it seems every mod we lose posts. this will do new users absolutly no good.... especially since resent posting is more like a soap opera inhere....;) but the TECH groups all have good usefull information in them....even/especially the old ones.... it's kinda like making a usermanula that
only has the LATEST additions to your software in it...how do people learn about the stuff thats been there?

> am i making any sense yet? lol
>
> Leo :)

Give it up BB, AWI does not "store old posts", must be some sort of new trend
on handling NNTP...guess we are old fashioned. Someone should notify google
that they shouldn't waste all this space storing all posts on usenet since
1983.

--
../B

Can we get an explanation on AWmapper?

Jul 3, 2003, 5:43am
In article <3f036445 at server1.Activeworlds.com>, shred at myrealbox.com
says...
> We lost all posts previous to April 27th or close to it. Check the thread 'Newsgroups post lost?' posted by Baron on 6/25/2003. If you're still seeing the old posts, then the headers and/or message bodies are probably still in your cache.

[View Quote] --
../B

Another M A T T joke [198 kb]

Jul 6, 2003, 1:56pm
In article <3f070c24 at server1.Activeworlds.com>, richard.lazenby1 at ntlworld.com
says...
> I thought i might check out too see what this does but as soon as a clicked
> the link it confirmed my susspisions

It would be better if you had reported the TOS violation directly to the
website host abuse dpt. (abuse at netfirms.com), most hosts (like this one) take
offline sites with harmful content in less than 12h.

--
../B

Object makers please reframe from using caps!!

Jul 13, 2003, 5:55pm
In article <3f11b4ba$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com>, mongo at alt.2600.comcrap
says...
> A question along these lines -
>
> I know of at least one world where they built using caps in the object
> names, on a case insensitive webserver (upper/lower case didn't matter).
> When they migrated to a *nix server, the object path was cleaned up for this
> issue. However, the world contains MANY dead loads, due to upper/lower case
> conflict. A tool to clean up trailing space errors, if it exists, would be
> appreciated also. Is there any automated tool to clean up these problems?
> Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

I wrote such a tool a couple years ago but I really don't remember what it
does, I remember writing it when WinMe decided all filenames should be
uppercase (7-8 thousands objects); from my web page description it should do
what you want, better check it out for yourself :)

http://www.codebaron.net/multizip-rename.htm

--
../B

AW restarts my computer

Jul 23, 2003, 3:17pm
In article <3f1e9fe1$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com>, unclesben at aol.com says...
> Well builderz I am ups XP home. You can't read the blue screen it only up
> for like a second. I have ran scan disk and all the other stuff. Here is
> what my comp is
> Hewlett-Packard
> Pavilion ze4200 PhoenixBIOS
> 4.0 Release 6.0
> Mobile Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1.70GHz
> 190MB RAM
> RADEON IGP 340M
> ATI RS200M

I had the same problem with the IGP, try changing the video mode to OpenGL. Btw
to be able to read the blue screen, Right click My Computer->Advanced->Startup
and recovery Settings->Uncheck "Automatically restart"

--
../B

:)

Sep 12, 2003, 1:52am
In article <3f611848 at server1.Activeworlds.com>, lmauk at netonecom.net says...
> ok Joedude i did a little test, and actually if you do it my way it's less
> mouse clicks LOL try it...;)

ctrl+F3 :)

--
../B