edward sumerfield // User Search

1  ...  5  6  7  8  9  |

Security issue

Feb 21, 1999, 2:22pm
There are three security environments that address these issues today.

1. The program is restricted to run in an environment that protects the
operator. An example of this would be Java applets. There is no way that a Java
applet can write to your hard disk.

2. Signed code. This is Microsoft's mechanism for authentication and all it
really does is prove that the program you are running is written by the author
and has not been changed or replaced. Many Active X controls you download over
the net bring up a warning message (if you have you security setting on medium
or above) that asks if you really want to install and run this program.

3. Open source has become a very reliable way of ensuring that code is good.
However this only works with people who understand the code they are reading.

The bottom line is that the industry does not have a foolproof way of ensuring
security. I say all this just to further support Ronald's points.

Baggis, I had no idea that English was not your first language.

[View Quote] > Hi Roland,

> Tnx for your answer :)
>
> I'm very well aware of the risks with running unknown executables as I'm a
> professional software developer since 12 years :)))
>
> But as being a person not having English as my first language it might
> appear that I have less knowledge about things than I actually have due to
> my way of expressing myself ;-)

[View Quote]

Moving bot randomly...

Feb 21, 1999, 2:26pm
I have a random moving bot that I wrote as a sample program for my AWCPP C++
framework. You are welcome to it.

http://members.xoom.com/esumerfd/ActiveWorlds/AWCPP.htm

Let me know if you have any questions about it.

Edward Sumerfield

[View Quote] > I want the bot to move randomly. I've looked all over the SDK website, no
> luck. Any chance anyone could help me out here? Give me some code to get
> the bot to move randomly or move at all. Thanks alot.

Negative Yaw?

I've never seen that before. What code are you using to get it?
[View Quote]

Negative Yaw?

Are you saying that if you are facing east then it will report 900?
2700 as East. My trig functions are based on yaw/10. If it didn't do that
I would expect my deer to be running in all kinds of strange directions.
[View Quote] </body>

Programming avatar through sdk

Sounds like a great game. Penalty of capture is not so much assimilation
but ejection?
[View Quote]

RC=43 (invalid Password) problem

Mar 10, 1999, 4:54pm
Yes there is.

AW supports the idea of a "privileged password" that you can use to allow
other people to build under your name. So, you might login using your name
and normal password and then someone can tell you their privileged password
so that you can build something for then under their name (cit number).

You have to specifically set this password up. It does not default to your
normal password.

Run the AW browser and check your settings. There is a field there to enter
one.

It is this privileged password that is required for bots to login to a
universe.

Good luck

[View Quote]

Please help

Mar 11, 1999, 10:03am
Dump some log to the group man.

[View Quote] > G'day I just tried making a bot out of the sample ones on the AW web page
> but I get a shit load of errors and all of them ar on the lines
> if (rc = blah blah blah
> Can some one help with this? There are no errors or warnings when I compile
> it only when I build it.

programming avatar through SDK

Mar 14, 1999, 7:18pm
I wouldn't say that the idea is "not bright". Indeed it is an excellent idea in
certain situations. You could use a small object like the little cup. That
would significantly reduce the likelihood of hitting the wrong avatar. Use a
world that disables the shift key. So for ejecting people from a soccer field
it could still work. The players would just have to be careful not to kick the
cup. Oh, for a bucket object to make the joke complete.

A cool pace to use it might be in a maze or haunted house. You could play some
really cool games with people.

[View Quote] > Right, i didn't even think of these drawbacks... looks the idea is not
> bright at all *grin*
>
> So does anyone else have an idea how to have a bot "push" an avatar ?
>
> Walter aka Faber
>
> Rolu schrieb in Nachricht <36ead4bd.0 at homer>...
> on
> while
> the
> out

VBsdk???

Mar 14, 1999, 4:13am
Maybe this is what the motioners are after.

http://table.jps.net/~rjins/rjeneration/vbsdk/

[View Quote] > As you deduce. . .we have read, and in fact commented on past threads. .
> .just getting it out there again to see what's being/been done.

[View Quote]

JAVA API????

Mar 20, 1999, 2:47pm
Java with the SDK.

http://www.insead.fr/CALT/Encyclopedia/ComputerSciences/VR/Worlds/Alpha/AWSDKJava/

[View Quote] > And, I thought of another reason:

> The Java compiler and all the software and stuff is FREE so any joe
> can use it. (no offense to you people named Joe........)
>
> -JWT

[View Quote]

Re: C++

Jul 30, 1999, 11:54am
Use the GNU compiler from www.cygnus.com. It is worth far more that
the price you paid for it though they will refuse to take your money.

[View Quote] > Do a search on something called Bloodshed C++. It is a free C++
> compiler, but I must warn you, it IS worth the price you paid 4
> it. (it writes programs fine but there is no class wizard and
> no GUI-designer-thingie.)
>
> -Jeffrey W. Tickle

[View Quote]

Re: Struct...

Aug 6, 1999, 12:58pm
The way I eventually simplified this include business is to put all the AWCPP
include files into one AWCPP.hpp file. By doing this I loose a little compile
performance, including files that aren't always necessary, but I am assured that
I have all the correct include files in the appropriate order. There is nothing
more tedious, to my mind, than chasing down include file dependency problems.

I am not sure which version of AWCPP you are using Tom but the latest version,
0.4, has AWCPP.hpp included into AvatarMe.C. The AWCPP.hpp file contains the
appropriate Avatar.hpp and AvatarMe.hpp include files.

If I had a perfect object model it should tell me which classes were dependent
on which other classes. It just seems like so much work to go through all that
when one can put them all in one file. It is also a simplification for people
who wish to use the AWCPP.lib. They just have one include to add to their code
to allow them to use any of the classes.

In thirteen years of programming I have never been happy with my include file
strategies.

[View Quote] > what about including both .hpp file in your avatarme.c. ?

> #include "avatar.hpp"
> #include "avatarme.hpp"
>
> Walter aka Faber
>
> Tom Russell <tom.russell at jordanchans.com> schrieb in im Newsbeitrag:
> 37aa1a13.0 at homer...
> is
> source
> what
> These
> the
> file
> definition
> It
> will
> the
> both

Learning C++

Aug 13, 1999, 12:01pm
I used "teach yourself C++" 5th edition. by Al Stevens, MIS: Press.
Its got the attached CD rom with all the sample code on it.

Having been a programmer for 13 years now I can't tell you if this is
a great beginners book. What you need to do is go to a good store and
scan all the C++ books and wait for the feeling of "hey this looks
easy...". It all depends on how you like to learn and what level the
books pitch to.

One thing to look out for are the update books. There are number
teaching books that just teach you about the updates to a particular
package. Like the "Unleashed" set of books. I have "Visual C++
unleashed 4.0" and it was good for learning how to use the extensions
to VC++ since version 3.0 but not to learn C++. I would recommend a
learn C++ book and then if you want to learn your particular IDE get
one of those books aswell.

There are lots of web sites if that is what you prefer. I just like
books more.

http://www.cpdee.ufmg.br/cursos/cpp/tutorial.html

Best of luck.

[View Quote] > I wrote 100,000+ lines of C++ code but I learned with "Cut and
> paste" . Try to read the examples, modify them and save it as your
> code. Later - you'll be happy to have them :))))
> Andras
>
> P.S. Of course there are books and tutorials too! <where????>

[View Quote]

Learning C++

Aug 13, 1999, 12:07pm
Oh yes, another great tip. Check out http://www.mcp.com/ and the personal
bookshelf option. They allow you to "checkout" books and read them online
for free and we are talking $50 books so its a great offer. Ofcourse you
are limited to MacMillan books but they have a lot of great C++ learning
books. Here are a couple

Sams Teach Yourself C++ in 21 Days, Second Edition
Sams Teach Yourself Visual C++ 6 in 21 Days

[View Quote] > I used "teach yourself C++" 5th edition. by Al Stevens, MIS: Press.
> Its got the attached CD rom with all the sample code on it.
>
> Having been a programmer for 13 years now I can't tell you if this is
> a great beginners book. What you need to do is go to a good store and
> scan all the C++ books and wait for the feeling of "hey this looks
> easy...". It all depends on how you like to learn and what level the
> books pitch to.
>
> One thing to look out for are the update books. There are number
> teaching books that just teach you about the updates to a particular
> package. Like the "Unleashed" set of books. I have "Visual C++
> unleashed 4.0" and it was good for learning how to use the extensions
> to VC++ since version 3.0 but not to learn C++. I would recommend a
> learn C++ book and then if you want to learn your particular IDE get
> one of those books aswell.
>
> There are lots of web sites if that is what you prefer. I just like
> books more.
>
> http://www.cpdee.ufmg.br/cursos/cpp/tutorial.html
>
> Best of luck.

[View Quote]

Re: AWCPP Wrapper

Aug 13, 1999, 11:42am
Excellent work Tom.

Edward Sumerfield.

[View Quote] > Well, here's the first part of the port. I am making available the files
> necessary to build awcpp.lib. from Ed Sumerfield's AWCPP C++ classes, the
> object framework you can use to create all kinds of cool stuff without too
> much trouble(hopefully).
> I haven't figured out how to interface it with a Windows GUI (like a dialog
> box) yet, but hopefully someone with more experience with this will see the
> value in this object package and work out some of those porting issues.
> For now, however, all that's required is that you load up the workspace and
> create the .lib file. There are a number of sample programs that are ready
> to run, which I've included. Have fun and let me know if you need any help.
> Happy botting...
>
> Tom Russell
[View Quote]

Compile JDK

Aug 17, 1999, 3:59pm
An interesting question. If, by JDK, you mean the Sun Java Developers Kit then
none of the software you mentioned is required.

All you need is the Sun JDK. javac is the java compiler and java is the
interpreter.

Since you are posting to the AW SDK newsgroup I should probably assume that you
are trying to work with the JAVA wrappers that have been developed. It is my
understanding that since the latest release that no C++ code that needs to be
recompiled to get it to work.

But then I could be totally misunderstanding you question.

[View Quote] > Hi,

> Does anybody know if I REALLY need ALL the following to compile JDK source
> codes?
> ========================
> Microsoft Visual C++ version 5.0 for compiling C code. Though this software
> is required for compiling C code, the build is done using Microsoft nmake
> rather than with the Microsoft Visual C++ IDE.
> Microsoft Assembler version 6.11.
> Microsoft VisualStudio 97 Service Pack 3 for Java2D functionality.
> MKS Toolkit version 5.2 (http://www.mks.com) for Unix emulation on the
> Windows NT platform.
> ========================

DLL

Aug 17, 1999, 4:04pm
What are you trying to do?

On the Sun JDK the -X option is for non-standard arguments and their
interpreter ("java") does not include a runGC argument (jdk 1.2). They
have an incgc to indicate an incremental garbage collection process I
don't know if that is the same.

All DLLs can be called from Java code using JNI interface. Microsoft
has an slightly different interface called RNI but it does the same
thing just not as portable.

If you are trying to create a DLL from Java code then I would look
into VJ++ which has some cool programs for wrapping the jvm in a com
object and the like.

[View Quote] > Hi,

> Where can i find information about how to create a dll for JDK?
> eg: java -XrunGC test

A few old ideas

Jun 30, 1998, 8:39pm
Using relative coordinates as opposed to absolute.

Edward Sumerfield, esumerfd at msn.com
http://members.xoom.com/esumerfd

[View Quote]

Make this my default id

Jun 26, 1998, 4:41pm
Two small wishes.

When you login as a citizen the "Make this my default id" flag is set to
true. This should be false.

I have multiple people login in to the same browser and it is a pain to have
to be re-logging in after it has automatically logged you in under someone
else's name. With the flag set to false and no citizen entry in the ini file
it will prompt me to login each time the program is run.

The second point is a bigger one of storing citizen specific information
under the citizen instead of in a general area of the ini file. The home
location, last avatar used and the like should really be citizen specific.

Edward Sumerfield, esumerfd at msn.com

Re: Mirrors.

Jul 10, 1998, 12:14pm
As you can't run two active world programs on the same machine the Active X
solution sounds good.

What do you mean about creating a "bot" so that you can see your avatar?

[View Quote]

Mirrors.

Jul 11, 1998, 2:17am
It sounds really difficult but is it possible to create a mirror object in
AW. The main reason I ask is because I am trying out different avatars but
can't see the faces. I could download them and use rwmod or something but it
isn't that important.

Edward Sumerfield, esumerfd at msn.com
http://members.xoom.com/esumerfd

Mirrors.

Jul 13, 1998, 4:19pm
When you run the second aw it just brings the first version into focus. You
would have to have two separate installations so that you don't get any
cache corruption but even with two separate executables in two separate
installation directories it will only run the one program.

I don't know if this is a feature of AW or windows. Maybe someone knows how
to get around this.

Edward Sumerfield, esumerfd at msn.com
http://members.xoom.com/esumerfd

[View Quote]

"Free" Camera Movement with the mouse ala Games like quake 1-2/unreal

Jul 13, 1998, 4:40pm
The problem of movement control is solved in 90% of 3d programs using a
simple configuration feature. Then we could set them up the way we want
them. Everyone is going to be different, so solve the problem via
configuration.

Edward Sumerfield, esumerfd at msn.com
http://members.xoom.com/esumerfd

[View Quote]

saving telgrams

Jul 15, 1998, 12:34pm
Maybe the telegram interface could be replaced with a mail interface, full
smtp and pop3 support to a telegram window in the aw browser. Installation
would be easy if you just insert Microsoft's output express into one of the
windows. Of coarse, not all mail readers are quite as friendly.

That would give us much more communication flexibility and allow us to
remain in the same environment. The browser can to the translation from
citizen name to aw mail address if need be although it would have to deal
with specific AW mail servers so the citizen name could be setup as the mail
address.

How about an in world mail reader. It wouldn't be hard to make a "mail sign"
that allows you to read your mail from within the world. I dare say you
could go as far as making a "send mail sign" as well so that you can send
mail from your world. I may be getting carried away here.

So we have a few new commands that can be put on any object that supports
text.

activate mailreader
activate newsgroupreader

Edward Sumerfield, esumerfd at msn.com
http://members.xoom.com/esumerfd

[View Quote]

saving telgrams

Jul 16, 1998, 6:40pm
I agree I did get carried away but consider the amount of coding involved
with implementing the mail standard compared to implementing a proprietary
standard.

Most of the work is already done for you. There are hundreds of smtp and
pop3 controls on the market today that could easily be plugged into the
browser for retrieving "mail telegrams" for displaying.

Maybe phase one should just include the display of the mail in the chat
window like today's telegrams. With this expandable architecture in place it
wouldn't be hard to add a save feature or even putting the text onto a sign
object.

I believe in a direction that moves as much functionality into the 3d world
as possible. The future of this world experience is critical to its success.

Edward Sumerfield, esumerfd at msn.com
http://members.xoom.com/esumerfd

[View Quote]

Is this where i can ask about having a texture modified too? ...

------=_NextPart_000_0061_01BDB16C.6B3BAFE0

Couldn't you download the texture fix it yourself and then use the =
picture command on an animate2.rwx object?

create picture http:/yourwebsite/purple_flower8.jpg

Edward Sumerfield, esumerfd at msn.com
http://members.xoom.com/esumerfd

[View Quote] I love the color purple. (as you may be able to tell by the =
name i chose) hehehe I was wondering if like flower8.rwx could maybe one =
day be changed to also have a variation on the color to purple for AW. =
There's no purple flowers at all in AW. The ones there are very nice and =
i use them alot but it seems that every color of flowers in real life =
are represented in the flowers of AW but no purple =3D( Just a wish. =
Not really thinking of only myself. I've heard other ppl say they love =
purple too and wish there was purple flowers in AW. Anyway if this is =
the place to ask..please may i one day see a purple flower in aw? =3D)) =
PS: i did the variation on flower8.rwx for my own world and it was easy =
to do using paint shop pro. I just changed the contrast i think and then =
played with the color balance. =3D)
=20

------=_NextPart_000_0061_01BDB16C.6B3BAFE0

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Couldn't you download the texture =
fix it=20
yourself and then use the picture command on an animate2.rwx=20
object?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2></FONT><FONT color=3D#000000=20
size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; create picture=20
http:/yourwebsite/purple_flower8.jpg<BR><BR></FONT>Edward Sumerfield, <A =

href=3D"mailto:esumerfd at msn.com">esumerfd at msn.com</A><BR><A=20
href=3D"http://members.xoom.com/esumerfd">http://members.xoom.com/esumerf=
d</A><BR></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
style=3D"BORDER-LEFT: #000000 solid 2px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-LEFT: =
5px">
[View Quote] ------=_NextPart_000_0061_01BDB16C.6B3BAFE0--

Is this where i can ask about having a texture modified too? ...

Jul 17, 1998, 4:36pm
I agree. Animate does not work with URLs but flower8 is a fixed picture
using the flo8.jpg texture, so I don't think that that is relevant.

The one sided picture is a problem though. You can put two of them back to
back but you still have the problem of looking at the flower at an angle.

There is the "axisalignment zorienty" (thank you Eep) in rwx that makes an
object always face the viewer. I don't think there are any animate type
objects that have it though.

So maybe this has resolved into another wish. To allow builders the create
their own textures on objects that always face the viewer can we have a set
of animate??.rwx with the axisalignment zorienty line in them?

Stop the presses. I just downloaded the flower8.zip to check my facts

ModelBegin
ClumpBegin
AxisAlignment ZOrientY
Vertex -.05 0 0 UV 0 1
Vertex .05 0 0 UV 1 1
Vertex .05 .1 0 UV 1 0
Vertex -.05 .1 0 UV 0 0
TextureModes null
Texture flo8 mask flo8m
Quad 1 2 3 4
ClumpEnd
ModelEnd

It already has the "AxisAlignment ZOrientY" thingy so why doesn't it always
face the viewer.

OK I am out of my depth now. Would someone who knows what they are talking
about please take over.

Edward Sumerfield, esumerfd at msn.com
http://members.xoom.com/esumerfd

[View Quote]

Is this where i can ask about having a texture modified too? ...

Jul 17, 1998, 5:19pm
You are right. I got confused.

[View Quote]

Telegram Rediction To Email Address

Jul 22, 1998, 4:23pm
The telegram system needs to be updated to a full mail client. They are
already embedding explorer in the right hand window. When you click the
telegram button it would just switch over to a mail control instead. It
would talk to an smtp server to send things out and poll a pop3 server to
read telegrams in. A simple, already coded semi-bug free protocol that
everyone knows and loves.

I put this wish in with another thread but it sounds like you are coming
around to it here as well.

Edward Sumerfield, esumerfd at msn.com
http://members.xoom.com/esumerfd

[View Quote]

Telegram Rediction To Email Address

Jul 22, 1998, 7:58pm
The issue is not so much the interface, you can build your own front end.
After all, if you are going to implement telegrams then you are
implementing, not only a custom interface but also a proprietary protocol.
People are now asking for features that are already built into mail systems.
If you want to modify the interface a little to make it more AWB friendly
that shouldn't be a problem.

MSIE doesn't actually have a mail client embedded. It uses the windows
default mail client interface to activate it.

You say we already have mail but we don't have the mail addresses of anyone
we talk to. The universe server with its nice little list of people has all
that information. An AW mail interface would bridge that gap.

My original thought was along the lines of extending the 3d experience to
mail reading. It would be cool to be able to put your mail onto a sign
object with a next and previous button. This may be a little enthusiastic to
start with but building a tighter coupling between the browser and the mail
protocols would be a great first step.

Edward Sumerfield, esumerfd at msn.com