faber // User Search

1  2  3  4  |

Triva Bot...?

May 11, 2001, 3:57am
I think Nestor, available on www.imabot.com can be configured to behave as you requested.

Faber

"mike zimmer" <zimmer at pitnet.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:3afaf7d0 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> I need a bot that ask's given questions in order but only certain people can
> awnser them. It would also need to not tell the person if they got it right
> or worng. The bot would also need to keep track of how many questions that
> person got right. No one else should be able to see the score of the players
> except the owner of the bot. If you can make me on or if there is one I
> would greatly appreciate it! I need it for The Mole 2 (Yes, there is another
> one coming). Thank You.

NEW WORLD OPEN!

May 18, 2001, 1:07pm
"kah" <kah at kahbot.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:3b043a22$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> HTML, that is...
[View Quote] Kah,

can you please explain to me what is bad with inflating posts with HTML while at the same
time its good to inflate posts with full quotes ? There was one messages having HTML
and i believe at least 4 or 5 complaining posts that had a full quote on it.
If people would not complain the whole thing would have taken only 1/6th of the storage place or
download time.

Either act according to your own standards or do not ask others to.

Faber

Posting in HTML

May 19, 2001, 9:02am
"moria" <moria at colony.co.uk> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:3b054601 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> Why you shouldn't:-
>
> 2) in these days of virii, its now possible to embed a virus in HTML or in a
> JPG and so, those who are concerned about such things wont get to see the
> posts, cause if you read a newsgroup post in html with a virii in it you
> have got it before your anti-virus can kick in. Those who know will have
> deleted it before it downloads so theres no risk.

It would help if you would not spread false information. JPGs cannot carry virii.

> 4) its an inflated message size.. a 1k post with a link to a 48k image is
> much more likely to be read than those that see a 48k post and just delete
> it cause its obviously HTML.

Any attachment would infalte the posting to 48k, while HTML would not, unless
it contains images, which you could count as attachments.

> 7) because of the virus risk, some ISP's filter out HTML before it even gets
> to the possibility of downloading it.

I really question this statement. Its not the business of the ISP to filter out HTML.

> Personally I don't care cause my ISP filters HTML from newsgroups before we
> see them, so I see none of them:)

Does your ISP filter the news you get from activeworlds.com ?

Faber

Posting in HTML

May 20, 2001, 11:02am
"moria" <moria at colony.co.uk> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:3b069050 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
[View Quote]
What you quoted ("Although not a jpg") does not apply to jpgs, nor to html.

It applies to vbs files that appear to be images or something else.

You cannot blame the existance of vbs files on the files they pretends to be. the first .vbs virus pretendet to be a text file, now
what ? bann text files ?

Faber

> Yep, all newsgroups are reposted, access is not via the origional source..
> you can go to the origional source, but its better this way, no dumb 40k
> messages or HTML postings.:)

I question this again. news.activeworlds.com is

a) not connected to other news servers (so not part of the Usenet) and
b) requires authorization.

therefore your ISP will most likely not relay activeworlds news to you and or allow you to post there.

You are talking about a direct connection of your newsreader to the news.activeworlds.com server. And HTML filteren is therefore
either done at your end or not at all.

Faber

Posting in HTML

May 21, 2001, 2:35pm
"moria" <moria at colony.co.uk> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:3b07c473$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
[View Quote] Ok. You want to bann unknown attachements or the opening of it. That is ok, and is not related to HTML posting at all :)

> or allow you to post there.
> news.activeworlds.com server. And HTML filteren is therefore
>
> yep done at my end, via my ISP, the fact its not on usenet and its a direct
> server is irrelevant. My ISP has the ability to route any transmission
> to/from a newserver.. its called a service and helps people to stay away
> from having to run their own firewall etc.

Ok, I stop questioning it :) Sounds like a rare but perfectly valid service.

> Its not a question of an argument, it was a set of reasons as to why posting
> in HTML was not considered good.
>
> To the normal user it can appear that a jpg has a virus embedded in it. it
> IS possible to transmit a virus in HTML encoded pages or messages. This is
> not in question and depending on your security you will either get a warning
> or it will just download into your machine and run. Your point is that the
> file type although saying it is one thing is actually another I dont
> disagree with, however if you don't post in HTML none of this is relevant:)

I disagree, as attachments would still be able to carry virusesi and they are not related to HTML.
I would prefer to target the "real" enemy (attachements, viruses, very large postings (html or not)),
stuff like that. "No HTML" is a rule that is in fact something very different with the side-effect of fortunately
eliminating only SOME of the risks that are out there.

I mean, everything you said applies to web browsing as well, and we didn't stick to plain text there, did we ? :)

Using HTML for a little style like bold or underline or a word in red is nothing that should be attacked by a general misleading
rule.

One more thing: I never saw a virus that did as much damage as the protection against it did. Costs for anti-virus-software, false
virus warnings, fear, etc, maybe we have yet to see the big strike, but so far, all viruses ever seen in the wild did not cause the
end of the world as we know it.

Faber

Silly Preston....

May 22, 2001, 3:56pm
> I know this belongs in the BOTS groups BUT i'm a nice sweetheart type
> of person and will answer that anyways... Many bots will PHONE HOME
> to see if they are the most recent bot in existance.
> Xylgot bots phone home as do ChatBot's phonehome.
> AND yes... Even my newest Preston v33 phone home to see if it is the
> newest one around. That is one way to letting you know with a nice
> little pop up box to alert you to the next newer version of the bot...
> AND if for some reason it can't phone home and log on to the BOT server
> before heading on into AW... It won't go on line...
> I've had my Chatbot & Prestion bot do that every once and awhile...

Please do not blame me for remaining on-topic.

Preston does phone home, correct, but in case it cannot reach the version server, it allows the bot to run just fine.
This was not always the case but is in there for at least a year.

Second, the problem of preston not connecting turned out to be a uniserver glitch yesterday. It did affect other bots too, not just
Prestons, and according to an Email from Roland, it should be fixed.

Faber

DSL is great! Posters in AW suck!

May 26, 2001, 9:37am
"goober king" <rar1 at acsu.buffalo.edu> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:3B0EC906.C29590E8 at acsu.buffalo.edu...
> If it's put on open land, it's authorized by the fact that the person
> who's land it's next to didn't cover it properly. If you're referring to
> the pict.rwx, sign1.rwx and news1.rwx that are scattered all around AW
> GZ, those have been there for *years*. Heck, most of that property's
> most likely protected by AWHS.
>
> Oh well, if you see something you don't like, talk to GET and see if
> they'll remove it. These newsgroups really aren't the place for
> vandalism requests.

[View Quote] Someone found out that many people left a very small gap between their
property and the accompanying street, about 200 coords away from
alphaworld GZ.

That someone now used that gap to place very thin advertising signs there,
thereby "hiding" the building thats behind it. Those signs are now everywhere,
sometimes at both sides of the streets, as if the streets had walls on both sides.

Technically thats not an issue, because the land was not covered correctly.

But i am sure that everyone seeing this would consider this as inappropiate, and those
signs should be removed.

Faber

Active Worlds TC

Jun 2, 2001, 3:13pm
Let me quote from your message file:

# This is the name of the product, it may not be changed in any distributed message file
# without permission from Activeworlds.com, Inc.

68 Active Worlds Music TC

<no comment>

Faber

"gamer" <Gamer at active-worlds.co.uk> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:3b18dac0$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> Fed up of the Immigration Officer? Would you rather have Fred Durst shout
> "You can't build and further than this biatch!" at you that the polite
> Building Inspector?
>
> Well I've attached the Active Worlds Music TC
>
> just put it in your messages folder in the Active Worlds Dir...and select
> MusicTC on the drop down menu on the advanced tab in settings....then
> re-start AW...LMAO This is funny :o)
>
> -Gamer

Preston question which should be in bots but gets more replies in here.......

Jun 4, 2001, 3:44pm
"mike zimmer" <zimmer at pitnet.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:3b19ce8e$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> Is there a way that I can tell Preston to take something from what I tell it
> and put it into a command? so it would be like if I have an ad I want to be
> changed every 1/2 hour and I want to say to Preston /set ad
> http://the_ad's_url_here.com and have Preston change a command(s) to that
> url? if you don't get it just e-mail me and I will show you what I mean at
> the place where I want it to happen.

Mike,

Please ask preston questions in the bots newsgroup. I read it as often as i read this one here.

Preston can right now not do what you ask it to, however, the next version will, since it has a custom variables section.

The next preston was scheduled to be released right now, but got delayed due to my current medical condition. Next preston will be
out in I guess 2 weeks.

Faber, author of Preston

preston 34 (beta) is out

Jul 9, 2001, 7:51pm
Please find it on the preston download page:

http://www.imabot.com/preston.htm

Faber

Did you ever notice...

Jul 14, 2001, 12:54pm
There is no mentioning of HTML in those rules, this is not the usenet (just the aw newsserver) and AW did never complain about html
posts.

HTML is, btw, not spamming either and its not somethign to be reported "to the authorities". Its not a crime.

Faber

ps: And even fullquoting is not a crime. Consider the rest of this post intentional.

"tony m" <tony at triton-dynamics.iwarp.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:3b5023a3 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> here's the full text from at Home's AUP on Newsgroups, incase you didn't
> go and read it on http://home.com/aup --
> ===============
> Newsgroups
>
> Messages posted to newsgroups must comply with the written charters or
> FAQs for those newsgroups. Advertisements, solicitations, or other
> commercial messages should be posted only in those newsgroups whose
> charters or FAQs explicitly permit them. You are responsible for
> determining the policies of a given newsgroup before posting to it.
>
> Posting or cross-posting the same or substantially similar messages to
> more than eight newsgroups is prohibited. Our news software will
> automatically cancel any messages posted to nine or more newsgroups.
>
> Binary files may not be posted to newsgroups not specifically named for
> that purpose. Users posting binary files to groups with policies
> concerning the permissible daily volume of posted files are required to
> observe those limitations.
>
> Forging, altering or removing header information is prohibited. This
> includes attempting to circumvent the approval process for posting to a
> moderated newsgroup.
>
> the at Home network reserves the right to discontinue access to any Usenet
> newsgroup at any time for any reason.
>
> You may not attempt to "flood" or disrupt Usenet newsgroups. Disruption
> is defined as posting a large number of messages to a newsgroup which
> contain no substantive content, to the extent that normal discussion in
> the group is significantly hindered. Examples of disruptive activities
> include, but are not limited to, posting multiple messages with no text
> in the body, or posting many follow-ups to messages with no new text.
> Messages may not be canceled, except by the author or by official
> newsgroup moderators performing their duties.
>
> The Usenet news service included with an at Home residential service
> account is provided for interactive use by the subscriber, using a
> commonly-available NNTP client such as Netscape Communicator.
> Non-interactive clients which download Usenet articles in bulk are
> prohibited.
> =============
[View Quote]

Did you ever notice...

Jul 14, 2001, 1:15pm
Norny and the others,

I have to point out that,

a) the at home charter does not apply to this newsgroup server as its not part of the usenet, nor does it apply to the majority of the
posters as they are not at home customers.
b) HTML is not binary, and its prevention is not on any rule that AW has put on this NewsGroup
c) KMissiles posting did contain a binary, which was not complained about. This would be the only part that may be conflicting with
aw rules, but i actually doubt it.
d) Size is not a problem, as fullquoting, which usually causes a much larger text to be caried around in postings for nothing, are
not complained about at all
e) HTML postings come always in two flavours, plain - text and html. any MIME-compliant news reader is able to present the posting
as text or as html, just the way its prefered for the reader.
f) its usually pretty bad to blindly follow rules and not ask questions. But you should ask them not on newgroups where they would
be off-topic. On the other hand, HTML complaints there are off-topic as well.
g) You cannot blame it on the HTML poster that HTML-Complaints generate traffic or usually contain not much "content".
h) concluding from g): The newsgroup was shot down by HTML complaints, not by HTML postings.
i) KMissile was accused and reported as a spammer. Spamming is sending 1000s of email messages or 100s of crossposted ng messages
out. KMissile did not do such a thing.
j) A posting on a ng is usually required to have new text as in text not quoted from other posts. The text is not required to be new
regarding its meaning or content.
k) Posting a one liner is not breaking any rules. abuse report departemens are there to deal with real abuse, not with something
that is unpleasant for Norny.

This basically invalidates your entire posting, including the threat you began with.

Faber

"nornny" <Nornny1 at home.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:3b504e7c$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> Let's go through this one by one. Don't even THINK about posting a one liner
> reply with my whole post in here or else you're getting an abuse report by
> me.

[View Quote]

Did you ever notice...

Jul 14, 2001, 1:16pm
Why does intollerance have to be advertised ?

Faber

"agent1" <Agent1 at my.activeworlds.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:3b50576a$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> Let's see... my new list of people filtered due to being morons who cannot comprehend the fact that it is not "nice" to post in
HTML here:

> Kmissile583k
> M a r c u s
> Mike Zimmer
>

> You have been filtered. Goodbye.
>
> -Agent1

Did you ever notice...

Jul 15, 2001, 11:30am
Ok,

it seems that we come to the following:

The rules that were broken by kmissile were a) be off-topic and b) post a binary.

a) is somewhat of a matter of taste since this is a community group and his message was refering to people of this community and
their behaviour. If his message was off-topic, than so is ours. (Yours and mine).
b) has been delt with in my previous post.

And you, as it seems, summarize that KMissile can be accused of intentionally causing "trouble" in the newsgroups, aggressively
testing out limits, stuff like that.. in general unsocial behaviour.

Something I do actually not object to, although i don't think that he committed a crime. Its just a different flavour of what, for
example, Eep exercises here daily, and what you see in about every group that discusses frequently.

Anyway, the bottom line is:

KMissile was accused of AW-NG-Charter-Rule-Breaking by posting HTML (which we know to be false), Spamming (which we know to be
false), Abuse of NG (false as well).

So, please, people, next time you don't like disruptive behavoiur, complain about it, but do not make false allegations or give
false "evidence".

*steps of the soap-box*

Faber

ps: One more thing. you said that "it took me like 20 minutes to figure out the message". KMissiles message had both HTML and plain
text. The plain text part was right in the beginning. May I ask why your ng reader does not distinguish (not MIME compliant ?), and
secondly, why it took you 20 mins since the plain-text part was right there ?

"nornny" <Nornny1 at home.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:3b50bc82 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> [...]
> someone *NON-COMMUNITY* related. It deals with teh newsgroup and some
> individual posters, far from community.
>
> I'll admit, I hate HTML, and the fact that it took me like 20 minutes to
> figure out the message gets me kind of upset. I was still willing to help an
> old friend, but he doesn't seem to get it. I'll be honest, Yes, we DON'T
> want people posting in HTML. Why? We see it as a form of disrespect. Why?
> Because if we don't see why someone has to go to such lengths to break
> tradition and the heart of the group. It's something we collectively agreed
> on subconsiously when the newsgroup started (I assume), and we've adapted to
> it. No, it's not going to kill anyone, but we do have russian, spanish, and
> other foreign readers who have a hard enough time translating english if
> they have to, but to sift through HTML too? and you say WE scare them away?
> Yes, HTML is there, and you no one says you can't, YOU CAN. But don't
> complain because we're not accepting it. We'll filter you or try any other
> desperate means to get it to your head, but still, no one is stopping you,
> go right ahead. Why do you even care? You're not looking for respect, you're
> not looking for someone to help you, you're just looking for someone to
> agree with you, it seems. Play our game, play by the rules set. If you want
> something changed, don't go Radical Crazy on everyone. Just say "hey, I
> think we should have HTML, I know a lot of you don't like it, I can respect
> that, but let's vote or something like we did when we tried to ban Eep (the
> third time). No flame wars, just a discussion like we've had in the past. "
> Don't DO it in HTML, don't go cussing everyone off for totally different and
> non-related faults. Freedom of Speech, say what you want, get whatever comes
> to you. If posting in HTML is really such a good thing, why has it caused a
> large flame war and negativity when it could've REALLY been a good debate?
>
> Anyways, I'm ranting. Back to what K broke. K posted something with NO
> content or anything dealing with community issues. Just the newsgroup
> itself. it was bound to happen, as every newsgroup has a flame war every two
> weeks or so, but still, doesn't mean we can't backlash and say, hey, that's
> wrong to come into here without any pretense or noteriety and think you can
> break every rule in the book and disrespect fellow members. K has never
> posted here before and has threw in a can of whoopass on Eep and Wing,
> neither of which he has really chatted with, replied to, or anything. This
> is the first I've seen of Kmissile, personally. Respect is a big thing in
> this newsgroup, people yearn for it, god knows why. When YOU, Faber, post
> something liek the reply you did, you have a form of respect (at least by
> me) and comradery that you've established. I can see your...umm...brash
> remarks and take it. Won't mean I won't talk back, but still, it registers

[View Quote]

To Whom It May Concern... [long!]

Jul 18, 2001, 4:08pm
Nice said, goober...

Faber, 288239
Real Name: Walter Knupe

"goober king" <rar1 at acsu.buffalo.edu> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:3B550144.1562FDAC at acsu.buffalo.edu...
> To Whom It May Concern...
>
> snip

Article by Brant (long post)

Jul 19, 2001, 7:55pm
"facter" <"Facter at AWsupport"> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:3b5738a3$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> HTML is *not* against the newsgroup charter, it is a courtesy thing that you
> guys can work out for yourselves.

Thank you for pointing that out.

> Honestly people, should Eep, or ANYONE, really be allowed to sit there and
> say the following and just get away with it ALL the time?
>
> "Yo, twit, fuck off, eh? Suck filter. Fucking evolve already, eh?
> Idiot...buh-BYE!"
> ".. you fuck; now quit acting lame."
>
> No, I dont think so - it matters little, this is a warning to everyone, not
> just Eep - temporary suspensions for continual abuse of others in this
> newsgroup will be metted out if deemed necessary.

You have my support in this. Eep's language and behaviour cannot be excused by anything. Not by AW-knowledge or by "being nice
everywhere else" as people have put it frequently.

I have more than once asked Eep how he expects proper treatment by others if he acted this way, but he does see or he does not care.

> Do you people want me to start removing off-topic posts? And how am I to
> deem off topic, and not get accused of censorship? I'd be happy to do so,
> but I dont want to start doing that and ahve people jump down my throat when
> I do.

No, i don't, unless its something like spam.

Faber

Question (May Belong In Diff NG)

Jul 26, 2001, 4:18pm
"Programming Language" is a generic term that includes all languages that enable you
to write down a set of instructions to execute. This includes C++, VB, Delphi, Java, JavaScript,
VBScript, Perl, Cobol, SmallTalk, Assembler, Pascal, ADA, BCPL, i think PHP, C#, etc, etc.

"Scripting Language" is a subset of "Programming Language" which applies to languages
which are directly interpreted from their source form and not transformed into a machine-
readable equivalent prior to execution. This is the case for JavaScript, VBScript, Perl
IN GENERAL. However, there are for example JavaScript compilers around.
Note the original BASIC was a scripting language, while these days its not.

"Descriptive Languages" are languages that only contain data. They need a program that derives
a description, a meaning from it, and they do not contain executable code.
HTML, PostScript, Tex, XML and RWX are examples of that kind of language.

Those are general rules, of course, and reality usually does not distuingish as clearly. HTML is
known to be able to carry around code as well in form of JavaScript or VBScript. And i think
Postscript is capable of containing executable code as well.

And even scripting languages could, in theory, have a just-in-time compiler to speed things up, but
that usually only applies to byte-code (or pseudo-code) form, as the case with Java or with all
the managed code languages from .net (which is VB, C# and Managed C++).

Faber

"lanezeri" <Lanezeri at yahoo.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:3b5f3cb4 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> I have a Q: for people who would like to answer it.. I'm not sure what NG
> it should be in.. maybe SDK or Bots.. but who knows..
>
> Q1: What is the diff between Programming languages and Scripting languages?
>
> Q2:
>
> VB, C++, Delphi.. them are Programming languages, correct?
>
> HTML, Java, and RWX are Scripting languages, right?
>
> Purpose for this post:
> I was in AD&DRPG with a friend and I said the bot sucked because of how it
> repeated "[DM Guard]: has been ejected for 10 minutes (Flooding)" over and
> over.. and someone said VB was to blame for it, so I said it wasn't the
> language it was the bad programming and then he said something about how I
> wasn't a good programmer since he hasn't heard of me.. big argument.. seems
> he knew didn't know many people I mentioned.. anyhow.. he tried to tell me
> RWX was a programming language.. I'm not a genius but doesn't the word
> "program" mean something in the word Programming meaning it is not a
> programming language since it isn't a program.. it would be a scripting
> language correct? Sorry for the useless post..

Question (May Belong In Diff NG)

Jul 26, 2001, 9:26pm
Good question. Not all people seem to agree on the definitions i just gave and have always found valid.

In my oppinion RWX is not a scripting language.

Faber

"icey" <icey at altavista.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:3B606208.693CB14 at altavista.net...
> Faber, why rwx is then called RenderWare Scripting Language by RenderWare itself?
> http://developer.renderware.com/rwdoc/rwv21549.htm
> icey

[View Quote]

Question (May Belong In Diff NG)

Jul 27, 2001, 1:08pm
If i understand your somewhat odd way to form sentences correcly, you are suggesting that
HTML is a programming language since its run by the web browser and RWX being one since its
run by any RWX capable 3d viewer (AW usually).

Well, in my oppinion HTML and RWX is not "run". Its read, all its data is grabbed and displayed in
a fancy way, but in order to "run" something that something would have to carry instructions which
is not the case for "descriptive languages". Details of that in one of my previous posts on this thread.

Faber

"swe" <m_swehli at hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:3b60e7ae$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> oh wait,enerv mind,never read the last bit,there is no wat,HTML or RWX is a
> programing language,thats a scripting language since it isnt run by its
> self,by buy another program,such as Internet explorer and AW
[View Quote]

1  2  3  4  |