faber // User Search

1  2  3  4  |

ini files

Jan 30, 2000, 11:24am
Thie file:// stuff is only displayed, not send. Only Outlook Express users will see it, I
guess.

The source code of your previous email has the proper c++ comments in there, no file:
added to them.

Walter aka Faber

"hal9000" <awhal9000 at hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:38910bc0 at server1.Activeworlds.com...

> WOH! weird.... good ol' outlook express....
> change all those "file://" things to comment stuff out... guess it changed
> it before i sent it...

[View Quote]

C++ style functions with aw_event_set

Feb 27, 2000, 7:54am
An aw callback function must use the c style calling convention.

A class member function can only be used for that if the member function is declared as static.

Note that a static member function is not bound to any object of the class, and hence does not have
access to the member variables or other member functions since it does not have an object of its
own. Access is possible only if a pointer to the object is available, as if the static class member
function was not a member of that class.

Faber

"okhan" <ohk2 at cornell.edu> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:38b8b553$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> Hi,
>
> I'm using Visual C++ and classes to implement the required functions for my
> bot. When I exectue the call
>
> aw_event_set(SOME EVENT, function)
>
> I get the error:
>
> 'aw_event_set' : cannot convert parameter 2 from 'void (void)' to 'void
> (__cdecl *)(void)'
>
> The function shown above is a function declared both in the header file
> (class definition) and in a cpp file with the typical CLASS::function {}
> implementation.
>
> Does anyone know how I can get around this problem and get aw_event_set to
> accept the passed function?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Omar Khan

Pbs. with Avatar_Add() in java. Any pbs with the C++ and Delphy version

Mar 8, 2000, 3:16pm
The only valid values in avatar_add should be session number and avatar name and the avatars
position (x, y, z, yaw, gesture).

anything else is probably random, especially citizen number and i.p. address.

But the avatar add function should be processed in sequence, not simultaneously. I think you must
not call any aw_sdk function that might have internal aw_wait() calls due to its synchronous nature,
causing intermittend avatar_add calls screwing your outer avatar_add value state.

simply extract session and name, store in some list or array, then return from your handler, and do
any citizen lookup by name, i.p. lookup per session, etc.. somewhere else in your program.

Faber

"calt exec" <nabeth at calt.insead.fr> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:38C66253.93C05E3B at calt.insead.fr...
> Hello,
>
> I post this e-mail about a problem related to the use of Avatar_Add().
> The language used is java.
>
> Context:
> A bot, with the avatar-add() handler activated, enter in a word having
> several avatar. A list of avatar-add() event are generated.
>
> Pb:
> When processing avatar-add() event handler, wrong
> citizen name, IpAddress and citizen number are return.
> (! In my Java program, that is working with AWSDKJava, the next
> Avatar_Add event is occuring while the bot is still processing one.)
>
> Question:
> Are you aware of similar problem in C++ or Pascal ?
> Do you have any idea of what could create this problem in java ?
>
> See the details of the question in the message bellow.
>
> Please post your answer to this group and to Iwan Tolboom <Ivanhoe>
> [mailto:iacmtolboom at chello.nl]
>
> Thank you,
>
> Thierry Nabeth
> INSEAD CALT
> http://www.insead.fr/CALT/

compiler recommendation

Mar 28, 2000, 2:20pm
The recommended Development System is Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0, as the sdk itself was created with
it.

Faber

[View Quote]

SDK 3.0 and Borland C++Builder 5

Apr 7, 2000, 3:17pm
If you happen to have an implib tool for your development system, it would be able to generate
the required import library ("aw.lib") from the aw.dll.

This is what was recommendet before, and i believe it was found also. As far as i recall, there is
some implib.exe, impdef.exe or similar around to help you out.

Since I work with MS Visual C++6.0 I do not have more information about it, but maybe you want to
try browsing the old sdk newsgroup posts to find out.

Faber

[View Quote]

What is API?

Apr 14, 2000, 12:56pm
Nope, its OS, Platform, computer language, concept, language level etc. independant. Brez hat a good
explanation in his post. API is Application Programming Interface... the stuff that an Application
can grab (=connect to, call, use, etc.) to get work done.

Faber

[View Quote]

tabs

Apr 26, 2000, 5:34pm
A richeditcontrol can basically be used like an edit control. Send text to its current
cursorposition using

myrichtctrl.ReplaceSel(....);

or

SendMessage(myrichtctrlhwnd, WM_REPLACESEL,....);

use SetSel() etc.. for cursor placement.

A typical tab control does not offer support for its content.. look at it like a fancy border and
buttons.

You can use a CPropertySheet (derived) class to open a properties like dialog, use CPropertyPage
derived classes
(generated from dialog resources using classwizard) for the pages... however that limits your
freedom a little (no extra stuff on your
"main" area (outside the tab control)

Try to look all the aforementioned keywords up in the MSDN to find details about their usage :)

Faber

[View Quote]

tabs

Apr 27, 2000, 4:40pm
Look up all the member function of CRichEditCtrl.. you will find SetParaFormat() and similar
functions for text styling :)

Faber
[View Quote]

tabs

Apr 27, 2000, 4:43pm
use the classwizard to add a member variable for it. its the same way for richedit controls as with
any other type of control.

using the Control -ID (IDC_CHATWINDOW) is possible to, however, its a little more difficult to use
SendMessage() on it yourself.

The CRichEditCtrl class is a wrapper which does provide some help in translating/reading/generating
all those structs you need to use for Rich Edit Controls. (such as PARAFORMAT etc..)

Faber

ps: The F1 key is your friend. Type "CRichEditCtrl" in any source window, place your caret (text
cursor) on it and hit F1. Read on on "CRichEditCtrl" and "CRichEditCtrl class members" Feel free to
browse more :)

[View Quote]

tabs

Apr 28, 2000, 12:43pm
You might be right here.. VC5 Classwizard supports CRichEditCtrl member classes but is not able to
insert them itself . it does not offer that choice (a bug, it was planned to do that), if I remember
correctly :)

Faber

[View Quote]

tabs

Apr 28, 2000, 12:45pm
You can set the "current para format" or better the "current char format" before using ReplaceSel..
look for
SetSelectionParaFormat() of the CRichEditCtrl.

btw. for CRichedit Examples try www.codeguru.com :)

Faber

[View Quote]

ummmm

Apr 27, 2000, 4:40pm
The SDK provides aw.lib is in MS VC++ 6.0 format. Unreadable for VC5.0.

There is no easy way i can think of to fix that.

Faber

[View Quote]

Delphi AWPhone Source Code

May 24, 2000, 2:38pm
Why does the source code carry German comments ? :)

Faber

[View Quote]

Re: AW improvements list @ http://tnlc.com/eep/aw/improve.html for those who may not know

May 4, 2000, 2:16pm
Well, a bot cannot pick up the current object selection of the browser. Therefore you would have to
communicate in a differentway to the bot which object to manipulate.

This would either require pretty bad interface ("Enter exact position and model") or a good
interface providing some graphical choosing method, say, a 2d blueprint of the world or so.

But i have the feeling both is not what you intendet :)

Faber

[View Quote]

aw_wait()

Jun 14, 2000, 3:44pm
No.

aw_wait() passes the given value to the system call select(), which returns earlier than specified
if anything happens on the sockets its applied to. Since I doubt that aw_wai() issues another
select() for the remaining time, you can expect aw_wait() to return earlier whenever the is any
activity around your bot avatar. (earlier as in not even close to the given time).

Only in complete quiet areas it might reach the 1000. But even then do not expect accuracy from it.

Faber

[View Quote]

SDK and Borland C for DOS

Jun 22, 2000, 5:24pm
From the name of that product i'd say no, since aw bot applications are no DOS applications, but
WIN32 applications. Although you can create then as running in a console window, they won't run
under DOS.

Faber

[View Quote]

SDK and Borland C for DOS

Jun 27, 2000, 4:10pm
Theoretically yes, but in reallity no, because it cannot read the aw.lib file that comes with the aw
sdk.

You would either have to get some IMPLIB utility to generate aw.lib from aw.dll, or use runtime
dynamic linking (which i do not recommend due to its complexity).

Faber

[View Quote]

E-mail

Jul 26, 2000, 6:42pm
A console app is basically a win32 application, which could use MFC: MFC
samples for sending email can be found at www.codeguru.com.

The other basic way would be to open a socket to an smtp server and send the
email data, which can be kept simple, say Subject, From, To, then a blank
line, then the email text, and then a single dot in an otherwise empty line.

This would mean you'd have to study SMTP commands first, such as HELO RCPT
etc etc

Faber

"twisted horizon" <joshua_trask at capecod.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:397e0d90$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
K, if I get a no clue from one more person I'll crack.
Just HOW do you send an e-mail from a console app?
-TH

Pointers, structures, and linked lists

------=_NextPart_000_0048_01C07F28.B9A17700

TH,

current.previous.next =3D current.next is grammatically legal, however =
will not work if any "current" or "previous" is a pointer, and i =
suppose both are (they could be references though).

In which case you would have to use

current->previous->next =3D current->next;

for double-linked lists you usually also encounter

current->next->previous =3D current->previous;

and your=20

delete current; // which would not work if current was not a pointer

Regards,

Faber

"twisted horizon" <joshua_trask at capecod.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag =
news:3a525fc3 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
First off, I'd like to say that this may be off topic. It isn't an SDK =
question, but is for a program being used in conjunction with the AW =
SDK, for a bot program, and this is the only place I know to look for =
programmers.

Secondly, I'm programming in C/C++. All you VB botters.... just =
shoo.... lol, next.....

With my new skill and horrible talent for programming linked lists, I =
decided to implement an avatar database in my next bot. Of course, with =
my lack of books or buddies (on-line, that is) I wasn't able to get much =
response to a question I've been asking around...

I have a line of code like this right before freeing an element from =
my linked list:

current.previous.next =3D current.next

Would this line be legal, or can I not have two dots in the first use?

Any responses (aside from about how horribly my linked lists work) =
would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Twisted Horizon

------=_NextPart_000_0048_01C07F28.B9A17700

<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=3DContent-Type =
content=3Dtext/html;charset=3Diso-8859-1>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>TH,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>current.previous.next =3D current.next &nbsp; is =
grammatically=20
legal, however will not work if any&nbsp; "current" or "previous" is a =
pointer,=20
and i suppose both are (they could be references though).</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>In which case you would have to use</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>current-&gt;previous-&gt;next =3D =
current-&gt;next;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>for double-linked lists you usually also=20
encounter</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>current-&gt;next-&gt;previous =3D=20
current-&gt;previous;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>and your </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>delete current; // which would not work if current =
was not a=20
pointer</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Regards,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Faber</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>"twisted horizon" &lt;<A=20
href=3D"mailto:joshua_trask at capecod.com">joshua_trask at capecod.com</A>&gt;=
schrieb=20
im Newsbeitrag <A=20
href=3D"news:3a525fc3 at server1.Activeworlds.com">news:3a525fc3 at server1.Act=
iveworlds.com</A>...</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>First off, I'd like to say that =
this may be=20
off topic. It isn't an SDK question, but is for a program being used =
in=20
conjunction with the AW SDK, for a bot program, and this is the only =
place I=20
know to look for programmers.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Secondly, I'm programming in =
C/C++. All you VB=20
botters.... just shoo.... lol, next.....</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>With my new skill and horrible talent for =
programming linked=20
lists, I decided to implement an avatar database in my next bot. Of =
course,=20
with my lack of books or buddies (on-line, that is) I wasn't able to =
get much=20
response to a question I've been asking around...</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I have a line of code like this right before =
freeing an=20
element from my linked list:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>current.previous.next =3D =
current.next</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Would this line be legal, or can I not have two =
dots in the=20
first use?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Any responses (aside from about how horribly my =
linked lists=20
work) would be greatly appreciated.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Thanks in advance,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Twisted =
Horizon</FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0048_01C07F28.B9A17700--

This is how you can tell

Jan 15, 2001, 4:33pm
TH,

example: If "current" was a pointer to a struct "foobar" having a member
"next" being itself a pointer to "foobar" too, you can access like this:

struct foobar {
struct foobar *next;
} current;

current (the pointer, i.e. type is (struct foobar *) )

*current (the structure it points to, type is (struct foobar)

(*current).next (the member "next" of the struct described as (*current),
type is (struct foobar *)

current->next (the member next of the struct pointed to by "current", i.e.
same thing as above)

*(current->next) (the struct being pointed to by the member next of the
struct pointed to by "current), type (struct foobar);

etc etc... i hope these examples shed some light on the matter :)

Faber

"twisted horizon" <joshua_trask at capecod.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:3a53a65d$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> Ah yes, I read about that when I was learning pointers and all, but I
never
> did manage to see its importance. That fixes it, thx.
>
> -Twist
[View Quote]

Re: "aw_static.lib"

Jan 15, 2001, 4:24pm
Reply to "sdk" group since "beta" is read-only for me

This error is not really harmless. It means the code chunks you try to link
together ask for DIFFERENT conflicting runtime-libraries, as in
one code part asks for libc (static), while the other asks for msvcrt
(dll-version).

If you ignore this error you really can get very very strange side effects.

To avoid this error you have to either

a) agree on a runtime library, say all use "libc", a library author has to
attach a note to his lib explaining his runtime choice or
b) tell the linker to ignore your project settings except for explicitly
given library names as in /NODEFAULT:xxx this may lead to
unresolved-externals error or aswell to odd side effects.

Faber

"roland" <roland at activeworlds.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:3a5ddc7d$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> This is an annoying error Visual C++ generates sometimes, I think it
happens
> when you try to link together two different pieces of code that have both
> been linked to the standard C library. The error is harmless, but you
can
> suppress it by adding
>
> /nodefaultlib:"libc"
>
> To the "Project Options" field under the Link tab, Project Settings.
>
> -Roland

[View Quote]

instances

Feb 5, 2001, 4:50pm
The aw_create() uses a void ** in order to be able to return an void *.
See these examples and comments:

void *instance; // pointer to "void", to unknown data

void **p_instance; // pointer to a pointer to void.

aw_create(....,&instance); // takes the address of the pointer-to-void
which generates a pointer-to-pointer-to-void

p_instance = &instance; // same here

aw_create(...,p_instance); // this would work too

Hope that helps :)

Faber

"hal9000" <wampa1 at qwest.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:3a7e26f4 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> with the new 3.1 SDK my instances don't seem to be working... the
> aw_create() uses a void** for an instance, but to set the instance it
uses a
> void*... Is my brain not working or is this an SDK problem?
>
> --
> -=Hal9000=- world:Discover
> --==~~out~~==--
> --== http://hal9000.xoasis.com

instances

Feb 6, 2001, 6:01pm
char *errortexts[]={"No error","One Error","Two Errors","Three
Errors",NULL}; // is a common example for pointer arrays

Faber

"andras" <andras at andras.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:3A7FF69C.4F8E1ACB at andras.net...
> void *instance[64]; // is a good example of the array of the pointers.
[View Quote]

What chance is there ....

May 17, 2001, 4:24pm
"grimble" <grimble2000 at btinternet.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:3b0397ba at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> Is there any chance we could have a new newsgroup on news.activeworlds.com
> for C++, VB, Delphi and Java questions [not] related to the SDK?

I second this idea. It would keep some fights over correct basic programming and i'll-help-but-i-have-no-clue helpers out of sight.

Faber

AW_CALLBACK_ADDRESS/Getting the last visible line in a text/richtext box

May 21, 2001, 3:06pm
"baron" <pk39srt at hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:3b08e18c at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> Second has to do with getting the last visible line in a text/richtext box. EM_GETFIRSTVISIBLELINE returns the first visible line
but there is no message for the last visible line. I currently do it by sending EM_GETRECT to the control to get the rect and
calculate the text/richtext box height, use WM_GETFONT and call GetTextMetrics to get tmHeight (line spacing) then divide height
with it to get the number of visible lines, add visible lines to the index of first visible returned by EM_GETFIRSTVISIBLELINE to
get the last visible line. This method works ok but it seems like going around the world to calculate earth's perimeter so...is
there another way to do it? Anyone has a clue why it's missing by Win32 SDK anyway (if it's missing)?

Hehe, i like that picture "This method works ok but it seems like going around the world to calculate earth's perimeter so..." :)

And i like your approach. I think that text edit controls simply do not support a message like EM_GETLASTVISIBLELINE, and therefore
your way seems to be perfectly valid.

Faber

Sort of off topic but not quite...

Jul 27, 2001, 7:09pm
I think that VC++ 6 stores them in the registry under

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\DevStudio\6.0\Build System\Components\Platforms\Win32 (x86)\Directories

It might work if you add them there.

Faber

"abbot pabisoko" <littlejgrosz at novagate.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:3b619698 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> I'm using VC++ 6 and whenever I add directorys to my projects(under Tools |
> Options | Directorys Tab) but they never get saved. Every time I try to
> compile the project after I've closed it and opened it I have to put the
> directorys in again... :O

Passing a Variable to a url

Aug 4, 2001, 7:22am
Well, if your ASP page understand the "GET" method you can just add those variables to the url

www.somehost.somedomain/somepage.asp?somevariable=somevalue

Faber

"scifair" <bkondracki at hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:3b6aed13$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> Does anyone know of a simple way for me to send a variable to a web browser
> when pulling up a url from a bot? For example aw_url_send just lets me put
> in the url, but I need to be able to send a variable (such as to an ASP
> page) so that a slightly different page could be opened depending on the
> variable. This is for a bot that I am writing in c++ if that makes any
> difference.
> Thanks in advance,
> Bogey

A small word of warning ...

Aug 1, 2002, 7:11pm
"grimble" <grimble2000NOSPAM at btinternet.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:3d21a7b9 at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> When the 3.3 compatible version of Preston is released (although I guess it
> may wait until 3.4 now as the new version is following on so soon), all
> should be well.
>
> Grims

All should be well thanks to your warning :) I would have missed that point otherwise :)

- Faber

A small word of warning ...

Aug 1, 2002, 7:13pm
"kristy8963147" <bluemoon8963 at hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:3d2138ab at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> Preston has that problem. If you use the object change thing on an object
> that has tilt and roll used on it once it changes the object it also resets
> the rotation for the tilt and roll.

Now that i am aware of it. the next prestion should address that problem properly.

- Faber

Multithreading Tutorial (Was to be "Is there a wait command?")

Aug 1, 2002, 6:57pm
"o0oiiijoshiiio0o" <joshua_trask at capecod.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:3d356465 at server1.Activeworlds.com...

> DWORD WINAPI TimerTimer()
> {
> // This is the thread procedure function. Think main() for the thread.
> //int CurrentTime = <make this identical to the StartTime = from before>
>
> if(TimeToFinish - CurrentTime <= StartTime)
> TimeFinish();
>
> return 0;
> }

I just had to comment on this: If this is your ThreadFunction, your thread won't wait 5 seconds. It will determine that 5 seconds
are not yet over and exit. I am not sure about your time calculation, so it might even call TimeFinish() but not after 5 seconds but
immediately. There is no loop in there or Sleep() or Waitxxx() which would cause the thread to spend some time anywhere.

- Faber

1  2  3  4  |