shred no@1.munged // User Search

1  |

You can't make this stuff up...

Aug 11, 2002, 12:36pm
[View Quote] There are things far worse than divorce. I speak from experience.

Re: word usage (was Re: aw_world_object_password SDK call?)

Aug 10, 2002, 1:52pm
> Bad analogy, you can interchange them in a sentence and still have
> completely the same meanings. The other words you could not.

A word such as 'better' is used to compare one object to another. 'Best'
would be used in a group of objects (three or more), which can usually be
flagged by the understood or stated 'all'.

Example:
Out of the two, I have the better teacher.
Of all the teachers in the school, I have the best.
Patricia is the worst student in the class.
Patricia is worse at math lessons than George.

> I have the worse teacher.
> I have the worst teacher.
>
> They still mean the same thing. They can mean mine is a bad teacher or is
> more bad than yours.

As I said above, a sentence such as 'I have the worse teacher' would be a
comparison between two objects. Therefore, the sentences do not mean the
same thing if one takes the statement literally.

> I have the best teacher.
> I have the better teacher.
>
> We just changed the meaning completely.
> Let's try with the other 2 words:

If I understand you correctly (correct me if I'm wrong), you're saying that
in the above two sentences you changed the meaning completely by using
'best' and 'better' respectively, but with the 'worse' and 'worst' sentences
the meaning wasn't changed at all. Grammatically, this is incorrect.

> I have more than you do.
> I have most than you do.
>
> Does that work at all? I hope not. I guess that's my boonie blood
showing
> through y'all.

Quite right; it doesn't.

Remind You of Anyone?

Aug 19, 2002, 3:46pm
[View Quote] Eep's style reminds me more of:

http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame21.html

Don't Look Now! It's...

Jun 11, 2002, 1:23am
[View Quote] <snip>

/lurktime
Lurking time: one year, four months, sixty-two days, three hours, four
minutes.

/delurk

/message

You forgot to add the section for the lurkers.

Lurkers:
Many people fit into this category. Relatively little is known about them,
but they are generally believed to be harmless. No fear should be held in
regard to your local newsgroup resident lurkers.

/end message

/lurk

--
Shred

[NG Survivor 2] Win "the Million" Please read. :)

Jun 13, 2002, 1:47pm
*chants* Goob! Goob! Goob! Goob! Come on GK, you know you want to.

[View Quote] <snip>

> Anduin Lothario
> Lady Murasaki
> barbarae
> andras
> Goober King
> builderz
> bowen
> bitmaster
> XelaG
> Imagine
> rypp
> PC Hamster
> Ptolemy
> Maki
> Johnny B
> Jerme
> Glitter Bug
> Brant
> Zeo Toxin
> binarybud
> Baro
> 83058
> Anyone else... :)

<snip>

First Ever E N Z O Talk (Replaced Friday tech talk)

Jun 17, 2002, 9:20pm
> Boy, NEVER post huge logs like this, even if you're webserver is down,
just
> wait until it's back up or find another one lol ;-))

KAH: the one who digs to find the cloud attatched to the apparent silver
lining. =P

--
Shred

AW Graphic

Jul 2, 2002, 3:21pm
When viewing from Outlook Express 6.00.2600, the image rotates as it should.
Just to make sure, I opened the image in IE. It works there, too. Check your
settings under Tools > Internet Options > Advanced, and make sure you have a
checkmark beside 'play animations in webpages' under the Multimedia
category.

Hope this helps,
Shred

[View Quote]

Do you need Flash Text effects for your web site?

Aug 18, 2002, 5:01pm
[View Quote] According to www.dictionary.com:

--
Spam (n): Unsolicited e-mail, often of a commercial nature, sent
e-mail.

Unsolicited (adj): Not looked for or requested; unsought: an unsolicited
manuscript; unsolicited opinions.

indiscriminately (adv): in a random manner; chaotic
---

According to these definitions, Wizard Myrddin's post is not classified as
spam because:

1. This community could or does need the service that Myrddin is/was
offering.
2. His post was not a random post; it was aimed at a specific audience.
3: His post is not chaotic nor was it sent in bulk to thousand of e-mail
addresses/newsgroups.

Do you need Flash Text effects for your web site?

Aug 18, 2002, 8:29pm
[View Quote] No one else but you seems to be opposed to this specific post. Majority rule
is usually the rule enforcement catalyst of this newsgroup, so Flagg is not
likely to ban a user from it based on one complaint. However, I do agree
that Wizard's post belonged in general.discussion. Still, no actual harm was
done.

Seeing that several people actually requested that Myrddin's service not be
withdrawn and that they do not regard his post as spam, my advice is to
filter him if his posts offend or annoy you.