lord perception // User Search

1  2  3  4  |

Does Anyone Actually Realize....

Jan 4, 2002, 8:34am
[View Quote] Doesn't matter, some how I accidently managed to bring up the renew button
up through teleporting back and forward multiple time between various
worlds, took the opportunity to renew and tacked another year on, so now it
doesn't expire until the 8th September next year (2003). (Don't ask me how I
did it, because I don't know)

Should be enough to ride out the initial rough period and/or until AW
utimately *gulps* dies. Yes I know I'm risking it and I'm probably a fool.
However it's sort of close to the time that I would be renewing anyway, if I
didn't pick up a cit extensions along the way.

Renew citizenship page

Jan 5, 2002, 5:14pm
[View Quote] May wish to try and ring them, and make a credit card payment over the
phone.

Outer Worlds

Jul 6, 2002, 8:17am
[View Quote] If he bugs you alot, then use your filters and filter him out.

Bad Time for 3D....

Aug 1, 2002, 9:26pm
[View Quote] Don't forget about the recent re-introduction of tourists in to AWTeen as
well ;-)

Another AW employee gone!

Aug 5, 2002, 7:53pm
[View Quote] I sense another inferno brewing in these newsgroups. Don't feed the trolls,
use your filters, and sooner or later, they will leave and return to their
home under the bridge.

lost?

Nov 2, 2002, 7:15pm
[View Quote] Okay lets try to straighten this up and please read this carefully.

Making personal insults such as what you are doing is not helping the
situation and is definitely not making you look any good.

TZ has asked that you bring any issues to light and he will look at them.
So far what you have given in response to his questions is insults.

So what needs to be done on your part now is to bring any issues that you
feel need to be raised without the insults and TZ will look at them. Should
be simple.

If you are unclear about anything I've said, don't hesitate to ask.

new face cam in AW 3.4

Nov 16, 2002, 7:20am
[View Quote] One way to know if I'm writing a post in HTML using Outlook is when that
formatting bar is showing. If you go to format and select plain text, the
formating tool bar disappears.

Aboutthe new Browser...

It seems things are changing in the AW Universe as a whole.
The focus of the NewAW seems very different to AWPrime. Correct me if I'm
wrong, but it seems the New AW is an RPG of life? While AW Prime is aimed
at public building

Before it seems much (around half) of the online population was just normal
people building and chatting in Public buildworlds. Since the price
increases, I've seen many of the buildworlds dwindle in population, AW
Prime's population is slowly dwindling and the rest of the public worlds
have virtually no life at all now. However Only AWTeen has managed to stay
a float dispite the increased pricing.

Most of the online population now it seems comprises of people staying in
their own little worlds with prehaps a group of about 2-5 friends

Along with that and the non existant progress, I ultimately decided to move
to AWTeen to take advantage of the new building features. Keeping in mind
that I came to ActiveWorlds purposely to build, not to live another life
online.

Aboutthe new Browser...

Nov 16, 2002, 8:48pm
[Urgh accidentally hit send prematurely] [Additions at the bottom]

[View Quote] [Rephrased paragraph]
Along with that and the non existant progress in AlphaWorld, I ultimately
decided to move
to AWTeen to take advantage of the new building features. Keeping in mind
that I came to ActiveWorlds purposely to build, not to live another life
online.

So what I'm thinking is the days of citizens just building and roaming
around in public BUILD worlds numbered?

Aboutthe new Browser...

Nov 26, 2002, 8:34pm
[View Quote] [...]

Anyway before we get too far off the track, the point I wanted to make was
that AW Public build worlds have IMHO been for far too long neglected. And
as a result, Unless you have a few friends who are world owners, and have
invited you into their world to do as you please, I feel you do not get a
lot for being "just: a citizen" paying the $70 US it is a year unless you
are happy to settle with AWTeen (and even then, I'm sure how well AWTeen
will handle the next coming year).

It's basically hitting one brick wall after another trying to build in
AlphaWorld, Yellow and other worlds. I felt I had reached the end and I
wasn't progressing anymore being confined to AlphaWorld. AWI it seems has
it's attention directed more at World Owners and at the New AW while it's
public build worlds are left to decay and gather dust.

So this is where I get the feeling that AWI is now dropping this public
build worlds thing and is now focusing on other things like the NewAW. If
it is so, then my time is coming to end and it's almost time to move on,
head for the exit and continue my trek down the Super information highway
for a new 3D Platform. Because as I have indicated, I came here mostly for
the building aspect.

The alternative is to bite the bullet, let AWI Milk my bank account of
thousands of dollars a year for a p100 or larger world. But frankly the
online population alone in the AW Universe as a whole is IMO far too low to
even justify this investment.

Unless AWI can sufficiently demonstrate to me that ActiveWorlds can begin to
grow and progress at a reasonable pace again, has a reasonable chance of
surviving and staying with the leaders in 3D and not fall too far behind
with developments in 3D. Spending thousands of dollars and not to mention
hours of effort on a world is out of the question.

Re: FYI

Nov 15, 2002, 4:09am
[View Quote] For some reason, all these flame posts look like lines from a childrens
play.

Mr.Bruce appoligizes to all

Jan 22, 2003, 8:24pm
[View Quote] Argh! Really?...

Although, I only ever visited that world once or twice. It apparently was
one of ActiveWorld's more popular worlds and apparently it became a dear
home to many. Sorry to hear about this. :o(

> A!!CT is gone all its citizenships is gone, all its builds are gone.

Anyway I think I've still got cached parts of it from January 17th(?) still
hanging around in my back ups. However I'm sure that those who are regulars
will probably have a more recent and full cache that can be extracted using
a tool. (I can't remember where I saw that post now, probably was in the
worldbuilders group)

> With post war preperations against Iraq financial situations in the USA
are
> bad and being that I did not expect this to happen to A!!CT, I can not
renew
> it now....or ever.

hmmm... Economic rainy day... Up coming 21st Century depression?

> I still own 6 other legal worlds, but A!!CT is gone forever, because I
> trusted someone who appeared honest and sincere with my investment.
> I will probably get my citizenship back at 6.95 a month, but there is no
> wayat this time with world situations as they are for me to renew A!!CT as
> P-130 world.
> My appologies to all.

New Objects

Jan 27, 2003, 1:15am
[View Quote] [...]

Just skipping down to the last portion or your message here...

> I think AW should at least give its
> fine builders some new objects for the AW world at least anually, based on
> common poll maybe? Give me some professional feedback people, I love AW,
but
> for building so much and paying so much, we should at least get an annual
> poll based object addition?

That's what many of AlphaWorld's builders wanted... New objects to be added
to AW's Object Path. But history has shown that a lot of these requests
have been ignored.

The only times I remember Objects were added to the AlphaWorld's was
possibly some time in 2000, when Just In and TechnoZeus made some objects
and submitted it to AWI. The second time, was after the pricing rises (2002
last year) , AWI dumped objects that was _Supposed_ to be destined for a new
Buildworld into AlphaWorld (Possibly as a knew jerk reaction to calm down
the masses enraged by the pricing increases) . As a result, complex and
detailed objects were dumped in with AlphaWorld's existing rudimentary
objects which IMO did not fit in at all well.

What can be done is we do what Just In and TechnoZeus did back in 2000,
gather / make a whole lot of objects together, review them for their
suitability and submit them to AWI asking if they will add these objects in
to AlphaWorld's object path.

I agree we are paying quite a bit of money for a citizenship... and I feel
the majority of AWI's build worlds alone are not really offering much in
return.

New Objects

Jan 28, 2003, 7:40pm
[View Quote] Ugh... *downloads 130 posts from the last 2 days*

Yup, I will agree with you on that one, that's why I eventually made the
move to AWTeen. I was losing interest mucking around in a world that
didn't seem to be progressing. Then 2002 comes around and we are slapped
with a huge pricing increase and very little in return for paying a higher
price, by moving to AWTeen at least I was able to use many of AW's browsers
features that weren't available in other AWI worlds. Practically if you are
_just_ a citizen who doesn't own a world of any sort, you are relying on
AWI's public build worlds.

Anyway, it looks like I've got another problem to deal with now [Mostly a
rehash of what I said at awnews.org] ...

Many of my AW friends that I make don't seem to stick around at all long and
my Time Zone really doesn't help. Log in during my evening (NZ) time zone
and you will see only 100-150 people online, and most are locked in their
own little worlds. AW prime's GZ is DEAD and you only have the [games bot]
for company.

If there isn't the people, it's just isn't fun anymore, as a result I've
noticed that I'm now only logging into my account on average, every 5-7 days
and often when I do log in, I immediately go urghhhh, and log off knowing
that there is very little chance of meeting up with anyone except tourists
(that seem to only possess a vocabulary of 4 letter words) at the AWGate
running around handing out insults.

It's beginning to feel like you are building on a standalone application
disconnected from the Internet and I've also noticed that I spend much more
time in these Newsgroups and other AW related forums than in the AW program
itself.

Anyway, I've decided that I will let my citizenship lapse later on this
year, with the intention of picking it up again at a later date, (provided
_If_AW's development _Ever_ actually picks up and the online population
grows again that is). Although I have a 1 year extension still up my
sleeve, I've decided not to use it yet as there is really no point if I
don't log in much anymore.

What about Alpha World?

Feb 2, 2003, 6:33pm
[View Quote] Hmmm Grrrr, it's been revoked again. It was great to have some people to
talk to at AW prime GZ again after being disappointed with the deadness for
so long.

Reunion

Feb 9, 2003, 5:43pm
[View Quote] Ugh...
*downloads hundreds of flame posts and wades through the carnage*

I guess I'm one of the last New Zealanders here,
ActiveWorlds during Both our evening time zones is Dead! As you said in
another post AW GZ is dead as well, only the gate has people. Often I have
to settle for a night of loneliness, and just continue building away hoping
that some day ActiveWorlds will recover. Last Month I gave up that hope, I
just simply can't drag myself to build anymore, I can no longer be bothered
logging into ActiveWorlds much anymore, as every time I do, I'm increasingly
sorely disappointed at the deadness and immediately log off to do other
things..

If you look at it in a brutal view, Since ActiveWorlds is lonely, and it
like building on a stand alone 3D application. A thought occurred to me
that
I should go back to the old days of buying a few strategy games to play in
the usual time before bedtime and replace ActiveWorlds, which actually
doesn't seems like a bad idea. I went through a few local Web sites just to
see what was on offer and probably could buy about 3-6 decent strategy games
(although not the latest hottest new releases, Also at times 70 US can buy
two of those new releases strategy games depending on the currency
fluctuations) instead of spending 70 USD on an AW citizenship.

Well the thing that matters to the AW Community right now...

*** What can WE do about this situation? ***

I've been pondering this for so long now and have yet to think of _anything_
It seems the fate of AW almost relies totally on JP and Rick, no matter how
I try to think. Trying to get people to this place has, for me, been a
dismal failure. Most people will go in, say "Um Okay, whatever...", choke
on the fact that it's 130 NZD and leave never to be seen again.

Some other citizens have even written to newspapers attempting to get them
to look at AW and perhaps write an article giving AW free advertising. But
it seems most go "pffftttt"

If anyone has any ideas on what can be done, let them be heard now.
I'm beginning to think Non-gaming Multi-user 3D has passed it's use by date

Despite me losing interest in the AW, I'm still hoping that one day,
ActiveWorlds will recover. But history has shown us over the long term that
the population is shrinking, 1997 and then in 2002. so I don't know...

--
On another matter, if people want to contact me, It's better to E-mail
perception at orcon.net.nz rather than telegram me now as I hardly log in much

Reunion

Feb 10, 2003, 7:05am
"absolute monarch" <absolutemonarch at sapphireestates.cjb.net> wrote in
message news:3e474c5c at server1.Activeworlds.com...
> Well, I'm an Australian. ^_^
> One of the few left. All my friends left, it costs too much, I'm only
> staying on through generous donations.

Same here, They are all gone now. Any new friends I make never stick around
for long.

I'm still running on my own cash and any cit extensions I can be bothered to
pick up, However I've decided that I'm going to pull the plug and let my
citizenhip expire in September as I hardly use ActiveWorlds now. I'm
guessing now, it's my turn to pack up my belongings, head for the Exit and
be on my way back down the Information superhighway.

I do however intend to be back, But only when I hear news that ActiveWorlds
is making it's come back and that the community is growing again (if it ever
does).

Anyway, how is Sapphire City coming along? What are you up to in
ActiveWorlds these days?

A!!CT is deleted and I am gone :P

Feb 9, 2003, 10:57pm
[View Quote] That gave me a huge shock as well. Must have been a typo. I reckon he's 16
at the most, unless he's Eep in disguise.

A!!CT is deleted and I am gone :P

Feb 10, 2003, 6:57pm
[View Quote] Yeah but, you get really sick of it after awhile as it seems the same old
tired lines are thrown around time and time again. Like seeing reruns of a
TV Program over and over again. I'm still bamboozled as to why after a
heated debate that humans degenerate and resort to name calling and childish
insults to get their point across. I'm also still curious as to why the AW
Newsgroups seems to be alight in flames more often than normal Usenet
newsgroups. I will agree with you that it is funny... but only initially
and after that it begins to get tired.

disconnected when fog enabled

Could be something to with those cheap and nasty "software" modems

In _General_ terms. Most modem owners would probably have a Lucent or
Connexant chip "winmodem" which lie in a category between the good old
Hardware modems and the ghastly software modem such as ones with a PCTel
chip
Normal Lucent and connexant chipset win modems are "controllerless" modems
that offload _some_ of the processing load on to the main CPU but still
retain the intensive data pump.

The software modems are both controllerless and without the "data pump".
They offload almost all processing tasks onto the Main CPU. And when they
don't get enough processor power, they retrain (speed shift down) or
disconnect. The data pump is particularly CPU intensive.

So I'm _guessing_ perhaps, that processing of the fog is CPU intensive and
probably commands a higher priority over other processes in the system...
and when someone who has a software modem tries to enter a world with fog, a
disconnection occurs.

This is what I'm guessing. If this is so, they may have to go to the modem
manufacturer's website, download and install the latest drivers for their
modem.

Gate Censorship Totally Unnescessary

Mar 14, 2003, 8:16pm
[View Quote] I will agree that the AWgate is a place for newbies to get accustomed with
the environment, software, and I say leave it as such.

But the actual real problems is, when was the last time did a debate
actually take place in AWDebate?
Yes there are 1200 other worlds to chat in Maki says. Yes, 1200 worlds that
are mostly devoid of people.
I've checked at AW Ground Zero at different times of the day once recently
and most of the it's just dead and quiet as usual. Even checked multiple
times when I had the chance at Peak time of the day, still little or no
chatting. Trying to find places to chat other than the AWgate is hit and
miss affair, and its a miss most of the time. Let alone for those trying to
find a place to debate.

Let's Plan a Coup

Apr 25, 2003, 4:05am
[View Quote] At the end of the day, It's dead, the growth of the AW Community has
stagnated. I will agree that 70 US isn't that much if AW is one of your main
activity that you do in your free time. But these days, the population
count is just far too low during my time zone for me to even bother with AW
on that scale. I'm now just logging on every few weeks for a few minutes to
quickly check telegrams. Every time I attempt to build, I lose interest
very quickly realizing that I'm going to be alone.

It seems that many people aren't prepared to pay the price for a citizenship
now, particularly those outside the US. The dismal 100-130 population
during
my time zone really doesn't help my interest AW. Anyway, I've realized that
there isn't much you can really do about the situation, so I'm just going to
let AW and Multi-user 3D take it's course. If things don't improve by
September 2003, I'll just let my citizenship expire for the time being, go
into hibernation, and return when the population count returns to an
acceptable level. Failing that, just drop everything and revisit multi-user
3D again in a few years time, hopefully by then the technology would have
matured a bit and will appeal to a wider audience.

People have protested to AWI , tried this and that and it hasn't achieved a
lot

( Whitestar) Yes Mr Bruce will probly shutdown A!!CT Agian go on have another tantrum

Apr 25, 2003, 4:05am
[View Quote] Urgh, read the first two lines and Immediately decided to kill file both
threads. If people don't want this to get further inflamed, I Suggest people
do like wise

It's a fact of AW life that people will continue to spout out personal
vendetta's out in these newsgroups.

Tourists+No Pics=Citizens Revolt

Apr 27, 2003, 5:00am
[View Quote] Urgh, only 500k? 5Mb of bandwidth Only? At least I now know why these free
websites from hosts such as Geocities, Angelfire, Tripod proliferated in
numbers. I was wondering why people would sign up to them and make their
visitors fight awful pop up advertising and banner eyesores just to view a
page. :oP

Most ISP around NZ give you about 10 MB with your internet account and at
one stage I think my own ISP was dishing them out for free to anyone

Tourists+No Pics=Citizens Revolt

Apr 29, 2003, 2:23am
[View Quote] If I recall correctly Yellow has bot access disabled, in which case he won't
be able to get his mapper bot in to map it.

*-Tourists-*

*shakes head*

Why is it that some people seem to purposely come in here just to flame
people down for their ideas. It seems this sort of "self appointed net cop"
attitude seems to be rampant in a lot of people here and it's apparently
quite contagious and it even infects some Adults turning their behavior to
Kidults.

You know Maki (and everyone else who is prone this sort of behavior), there
is this thing called the killfile. From your headers it appears you use
Outlook Express, All you need to do is select one of her messages, goto
"Message" in the Menu bar then select "block sender". Problem Solved.
Really, this kind of insults, swearing and Name calling by a few people here
I feel is really quite unnecessary.

^Tourists & Newsgroup^

May 13, 2003, 6:57am
[View Quote] With regards to Company revenue, perhaps.

There seems to be little that can be done about the situation, other than us
trying collectively to get exposure for AW. It seems AWI has made the final
decision regarding tourists and are unlikely to change it. As many have
indicated, AWI is a "company", and it's set up to gain "profit", it seems
obvious that they see changing the current tourist policy as unlikely to
help them financially.

However from my position, What matters to me is that ActiveWorlds no longer
provides me with any enjoyment as a result of the deadness. Every time I
log in I get that sick and depressingly dead ghost town feeling that
honestly makes me want to puke, like if a plague has just ravaged the place.
That said, I had better just accept it, Move on and just let ActiveWorlds
be, rather than continuously hoping for a comeback. Plans to renew are now
on the backburner, Although I can renew, I say to myself, "Why bother?".

As I stated previously, I will Come back when AW recovers (if it ever does).

AW Forum?

Jun 14, 2003, 8:27am
[View Quote] No, If I am right, there isn't such a thing as an Official ActiveWorlds
forum, There are however numerous AW related forums set up by various
citizens around the place.

AW Forum?

Jun 14, 2003, 9:38pm
[View Quote] Anyway, I should of added that what I meant was that there are no official
"web-based" forums, which I presumed was what the thread initiator was
looking for.

AWI- AlphaWorld Feature Vote, come on.

Jun 19, 2003, 5:32pm
[View Quote] Hmmm, This has been brought up before. The AWTeen example, AWTeen has most
of the features enabled, and there hasn't been many reports of Vandalism
using these commands. Are you suggesting that AW Citizens in general cannot
be trusted and are spoilt brats hell bent on causing trouble?

1  2  3  4  |