lord perception // User Search

1  2  3  4  |

Re: Just For Fun...

Nov 8, 2002, 6:29am
[View Quote] smog

Re: Just For Fun...

Nov 10, 2002, 11:02pm
[View Quote] Stockmarket

Re: Just For Fun...

Nov 11, 2002, 3:47am
[View Quote] Short Selling

Re: Just For Fun...

Nov 12, 2002, 3:48am
[View Quote] Real Estate

Re: Just For Fun...

Nov 13, 2002, 5:17am
[View Quote] liquidation

Re: Just For Fun...

Nov 13, 2002, 5:44am
[View Quote] Ferengi

Re: Just For Fun...

Nov 13, 2002, 6:25pm
[View Quote] Futures

A!!CT is deleted and I am gone :P

Feb 9, 2003, 10:57pm
[View Quote] That gave me a huge shock as well. Must have been a typo. I reckon he's 16
at the most, unless he's Eep in disguise.

A!!CT is deleted and I am gone :P

Feb 10, 2003, 6:57pm
[View Quote] Yeah but, you get really sick of it after awhile as it seems the same old
tired lines are thrown around time and time again. Like seeing reruns of a
TV Program over and over again. I'm still bamboozled as to why after a
heated debate that humans degenerate and resort to name calling and childish
insults to get their point across. I'm also still curious as to why the AW
Newsgroups seems to be alight in flames more often than normal Usenet
newsgroups. I will agree with you that it is funny... but only initially
and after that it begins to get tired.

bcvrf.yahoo.com?

Mar 10, 2003, 5:03am
I've noticed that quite a large number of people link to pictures on
us.f1.yahoofs.com which then redirects to bcvrf.yahoo.com. But I can't view
any of them as bcvrf.yahoo.com returns a DNS error. I gathered this is some
sort of Yahoo photo album site and is it accessible to only those in certain
geographical regions such as the United States?

The most recent of these I have seen that link to this particular server was
placed at AWTeen 34.43S 8.90E 0.19a 5
near AWTeen GZ, Is anyone one actually able to see it?

bcvrf.yahoo.com?

Mar 10, 2003, 10:50pm
[View Quote] Well, here are a few example that I've seen linked to picture objects on
various builds around the place.

http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/d44a072e/bc/My+Documents/romeia2.jpg?bcKgPa.AJUS.9wur
http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/473e192/bc/My+Photo+Album/Telport.jpg?bcLNo39ApOma63dG
http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/473e192/bc/My+Photo+Album/lg_BigHotStuff.jpg?bcQi..9A6cE6TZXO
http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/473e192/bc/My+Photo+Album/tj.jpg?bcgWo_9AwpUIC83W

All of the above URLs redirect to the bcvrf.yahoo.com domain and I can't
view any of them.

They're Running out of ideas here

Apr 26, 2003, 1:31am
[View Quote] When was the last time chat took place in AW GZ? For the 4-5 times over the
last 5 months that I've checked there (and at peak time I might add), there
was absolutely no body there except for the 3 usual bots. Has AW prime's GZ
fallen into the same boat as other dead AWI owned worlds such as Yellow,
wild, COFMeta etc and is now no longer considered a place to chat anymore?

They're Running out of ideas here

Apr 26, 2003, 6:21pm
[View Quote] Actually, correction. There was chatting at AW GZ when they briefly allowed
in tourists for the Columbia Memorial, other than that. _Nothing_
Is there any other place where chat regularly takes place other than the
AWGate anymore?

Did Active Worlds Inc drop the ball here?

Jun 12, 2003, 3:47am
[View Quote] Hmm,

My opinion is the place is too dead and I would be extremely happy to have a
large boost in numbers, at least to the levels it was before 2002.
Currently I don't feel the urge to log in anymore (haven't had the urge to
do so for about 4 - 5 months now) as a result of the general deadness and
quiet.

However it looks like the general consensus around the AW community is that
everything is fine, everyone is generally happy with the way things are, the
way things are being run and the majority feel that the activity levels are
adequate. For me, I still don't feel content, but then again, I guess I
have to accept the fact that ActiveWorlds has now changed and is no longer
for me anymore.

Each and everyone to their own I guess.

Did Active Worlds Inc drop the ball here?

Jun 13, 2003, 8:36pm
[View Quote] Alright, Alright, Anyway, it seem every time I come in there (only two times
every month to check telegrams etc), it seems everyone is in happy happy
bunny land, in a Teletubie back drop with lush green meadows on rolling
hills, flowers everywhere and a clear blue sky on a summer's day. :oP

It seems a lot of the time some one (normally tourists who are presumably
ex-citizens) talks negatively about AW's situation, they get ridiculed...

"What do you mean it dying? AW is fine as it is, there plenty of friends
here at the gate, hardly dead"
"What do you mean things aren't hopping any more? In AW things are always
Hopping!"

....I then quickly came to the conclusion that I am probably one of the last
pessimist to roam the Universe. It seems many of the old timers are gone
and the pessimists have largely admitted defeat and left. It seems they
have all been replaced by new blood prepared to fork out the Cash.

Alright, my take on the situation...

There is no big red button, marked count down to shut down, Where when
pressed AW will suddenly shut down around us in a blink of an eye at the end
of the count cycle :oP

It looks like, unless something drastically changes or happens in
ActiveWorlds, The Long term population downtrend will probably continue.
There will probably be more events such as those of 1997 and 2002 where the
population count gets suddenly slashed then levels out. But rest assured,
another event of this type I feel is unlikely to happen for a number of
years and it's likely the daily population peak will continue to hover
around 350-400 for many years yet until it happens again.

At the end of the day, should such events happen, as I said, it won't
suddenly shut down unexpectedly in a blink of an eye, AW will probably more
likely become a more obscure speck on the information superhighway, and turn
into places similar to cybernet worlds and DLP where the daily population
peak is only around 30-60, 5-8 years into the future. By that time, many
would have given up before then, be in the same situation as me now,
admitting that AW is no longer for them or isn't worth bothering with any
longer, and will most likely eventually move on to other things.

If you enjoy AW and are happy, continue on with your daily virtual life as
usual, because AW is unlikely to go down for some time yet. If you
currently don't feel that AW provides you with adequate enjoyment anymore,
but stuck in an endless cycle of hoping that AW will recover, then stop
hoping now and move on, because the current situation I feel probably won't
improve much further than this for a while at least.

Anyway, my building juices have dried up, my waves of interest where I did
still get spikes of interest every now and again, have largely evaporated.
The major point is that I do not gain much enjoyment from using AW
anymore and it may be time for me to consider moving on (at least for the
time being). Ironically I spend more time reading these newsgroups and
related sites then in the AW program it self.

Second Life goes gold Monday 23 June

Jun 19, 2003, 5:28pm
[View Quote] Had a good look around the site, and for my purposes probably wouldn't be
suitable for me. My reasons...

o The limited land to build on,
o The need to pay taxes on the stuff you own.
o Basically the restrictions around the place and the way it appears to be
attempting to mimic real life.
- Prefer to do a lot of things in real life rather than in a virtual
space.
o Additionally true broadband (ADSL) pricing in NZ is still around 12c US a
meg, has been for donkey ears and is unlikely to change.
- Monopolized Telco market
- 128kbit crippled version of DSL, is the best I have to offer.
o Proprietary standard and all work hosted on their servers.
- Work not portable
- All the effort is at the mercy of the survival of the company, company
kicks the bucket, all work possibly goes with it
- Where as if you made something with Atmosphere, and Adobe decided to
pull atmosphere. at least it's still there and still viewable

My interests are aimed at more creating stuff and worlds that friends can
gather in at the end of a hard day rather than living another life online.
Well basically create a world you can escape to and not be burdened by real
life like hassles of having to pay taxes etc.

Despite that, Suitable for the right people, and who want something between
a MMORPG and a 3D Chat, but the ultimate test is, "is
it able to survive?". A few things that need to be watched...

o Apparently the company running this is only a "small start up"
o Most probably funded by venture capitalists expecting that their
investment will bring riches
- Current climate, not friendly to these sorts of 3D systems.
- High failure rate, Sims online sort of failed to impress
- Numerous starts up Competing for a currently small market, such as
there.com
- If it fails to deliver, then the people funding the project are going to
want some answers, and possibly pull funding bringing the project to
it's knees.
o With is short time on the stage, there is currently a high chance of
failure, I guess it's all part of business, taking risks..
o As a result of these points, I probably wouldn't at this stage put my
heart and soul in to the place until
- It goes public and is officially released and has at least survived a
year
- Matured into a reputable product that is well known on the Internet.
o Last thing, since it's free at the moment, I realize there are probably
tons of people in there right now (can some one who is actually in
there confirm this?), but once they set the pricing, things are likely to
change.
- Pricing currently unknown
- If subscription is too high, then too many people will leave creating
a dead environment and even more will leave because it's dead.
Catch 22 situation

By all means, If I could sign up, I probably would do a few things here and
there just to test the software out and establish my presence in case it
does become a hit, but wouldn't go all out as of yet making it my main hobby
etc.

aw is dead :( aw managmenmt sucks

Jul 1, 2003, 12:02am
[View Quote] If you do not enjoy using Activeworlds anymore, maybe it's time to consider
moving on. Of course many of us have a strong attachment to ActiveWorlds
and are unwilling to let go, many hang around _Hoping_ for eternity that
ActiveWorld's activity will recover. But some times you have to admit this
constant hoping is futile and unproductive and you just have to let go and
admit ActiveWorlds isn't for you anymore AW is a place for ones to enjoy
themselves, but if it isn't "why waste your time in sorrow and pity" in my
view.

What can help is that we as a community perhaps draft up some ideas as to
how we can prop up the Activity around the place, even weird and wacky ideas
may help. One thought I had was to begin a register of when people who are
able to come on at certain times of the day and gather around AW Prime GZ
(or some other place) and have a discussion.

For me, I'm making preparations to move on and have largely replaced
ActiveWorlds with other interests. As I stated in previous posts I do not
log in much these days, and if I do it's mostly to check and respond to
Telegrams, every two months I manage to get enough juices to flow to enable
me to start building for a night or two before the urge dies off again.

Simply put, I don't enjoy using the program anymore. However it seems from
roaming around the current community, the newcomers are more than happy with
ActiveWorlds as it is. This is where I have largely concluded that
ActiveWorlds has changed and just isn't for me anymore. Despite that I am
open to any ideas that people have regarding propping up the activity around
the place before my citizenship go into possibly eternal hibernation this
coming September

So if anyone has any ideas, let them be heard now, else we had better move
on.

Big John at Breakfast

Sep 16, 2003, 2:45am
[View Quote] On the subject of streaming Dance / Trance...

www.redfm.co.nz
www.upfm.dj
www.di.fm
www.happyhardcore.com

X Releases

Feb 15, 2001, 8:57pm
[View Quote] <snipped>

Thanks Facter :o)

However I can't see most of them...most of them just remain triangles and
thats it. :o(

I Deleted the cache
Exit and re-entered
Still the same problem
Exited
Deleted the cache again
Rebooted the computer
Entered
And still the same problem

As with jynx, I can only see the xiggy4.rwx and the xcart.rwx in Alphaworld
so far

HELP

Apr 9, 2001, 3:38am
[View Quote] Try another ISP and see if it the problem goes away. I too have had this
problem recently.

One night when I discovered this problem I disconnect from my main ISP and
connected to a free provider, The connection to AW was fine, played around
for about two hours without any problems what so ever, I then reconnected
back to my main ISP and the problem returned.

another count

Apr 28, 2001, 5:01am
[View Quote]
New Zealand,
Seems we are a rare breed in AW :o/

making yourself show up as off-line??????

May 28, 2001, 2:15am
[View Quote] hmmm....

So you actually have yourself in your contacts, and when you do it, the
green check mark disappears beside your name?

I know this strange phenomenon has happen several times in the pass with me,
where I can see there is a check mark against my own name , but the person
who I'm talking to doesn't. The other person also reports that I don't have
a check mark against my own name but does against his own.

Another thing, I cannot seem to perform your trick in Windows 2000 using
ipconfig ( I think it is the equivalent of winipcfg in win 9X), Gives me an
error message instead when I attempt to release all. "Error: No adapters
bound to TCP/IP are enabled for DHCP"

*scratches head*

Multiple Posts

Sep 18, 2001, 4:44am
[View Quote] Jeez guys,

Have people forgotten about the killfile? If you don't like what they are
doing / saying just killfile them.

Looking back it seems the messages in these newsgroups are mostly dominated
by discussion about newsgroup netiquette, how newbies are stupid, etc. I've
observed about
three people who are self appointed moderators of these newsgroup who seem
to show virtually no tolerance at all and almost straight away report each
newbie who fails to abide by the unwritten rules of the newsgroup to their
ISP, AW abuse and if any, WebPages hosts.

It seems when newbies are pounce on and called names, rather than told in a
mature polite
way, their wrong doings, they become offended and retaliate, and in turn
these self appointed moderators return fire and the tension escalates, then
before you know it the newsgroups are well a light with an inferno of flame
messages containing nothing more than personal attacks and threats.

Look, if some one does something wrong, or says something you consider to be
stupid, don't jump to conclusions and start flaming them, Please. Just put
forward your views on the subject in a rational way, by all means debate the
topic, that is what these newsgroups are for, but please lay off the
personal attacks and name calling such as "you bonehead" "you weirdo gnome".

I suggest we collectively create a newsgroup FAQ / charter that can be
posted
regularly to the newsgroups detailing advice, tips, the rules, and the
reason why these rules exist, so that the new comers are able to read them,
understand why the rules exist and abide by the rules. If any newbie comes
on and breaches them, just point them to the FAQ/charter.

If the newcomer continues to persist in breaking the rules and/or is clearly
intent on causing havoc after being told politely a number of times what
they have done wrong. Then by all means report them AW abuse or better
still, kill file them

There Is A Wolf In Sheep Clothing Loose In Active Worlds

8>< snipped

Bodhi,

Publicly personally attacking someone like this will only lead to more anger
between you and Ananas. It seems you came here looking for public support
hoping that the newsgroup will agree with you that you are right and ananas
is wrong, but unfortunately such actions will reflect badly on you instead.

It seems you and Ananas were very good friends before this happened, please
control your emotions, sit down with ananas and talk this through
rationally. I know it's difficult, But it's better than keeping anger pent
up inside you and letting it control you.

Please, Please don't let your emotions start breaking up more friendships.

There Is A Wolf In Sheep Clothing Loose In Active Worlds

Oct 5, 2001, 4:47am
[View Quote] If you don't want to see his messages, the solution is simple, killfile him.
I feel your reply isn't needed and it really doesn't help matters.

BTW I think reporting him to his ISP isn't the way to go, persistantly
emailing his ISP will only annoyed the ISP and therefore they will probably
end up ignoring any future reports from you. These are AW internal
newsgroups and any such action should be dealt with AW as it's their
newsgroups, it should be up to them, if they see the need to contact his
ISP, they will do so.

> pheeewww - sorry folks - that was more I can handle!
> Andras

Re: Random crashing

Nov 7, 2001, 4:04am
[View Quote] > I have been having this same problem for quite some time.

> It used to happen almost constantly.. then I reformatted my hard drive,
> re-installed Windows 98, installed the lastest (last)
> driver set for my video card, and then only upgraded to DirectX 7.0 as I
> think that 8.0a did not work with my video card
> which is now defunct.
>
> Since doing the above, I now crash only a few times.. and I too can avoid
> completely crashing sometimes.. by using Task Manager
> and ending aworld.exe... BUT NOT ALWAYS (Most of the time it's a complete
> FREEZE)
>
> AW Browser 3.2 Build 397
> Gateway Celeron 333
> 192mb RAM
> VooDoo3 3000 PCI (16MB) (Using Last Driver Version Released)
> Windows 98 (Not sure if it's 2nd Edition)
> 3.45gb left on AW's hard drive
> DirectX 7.0

> MSN 56k Internet Access
> *wonder if this might be the problem... as they haven't been really
> reliable in other areas*

It's a could be,
I found 3.2 to be very stable for about 3 weeks, no crashes
what so ever, then it suddenly started crashing left right and center.

Additionally I noticed the connection in the evening had started to become
rather erratic and I kept losing the connection to AW (the browser would
always report "waiting for server" every few minutes). What I did notice
was that the crashing seem to occur once the AW browser had just re
establish the connection to AW. Also i noticed that the crashes would always
occur around peak time but not off peak or early morning
I did a trace route to aw2.mpl.net in a DOS window and found there was
massive packet loss and congestion during the evening however not to such a
severe extent in the morning.

This pain continued for about one to two weeks until I decided to change
ISP's.
When I finally did get around to changing to another ISP the constant
crashing seem to have disappeared along with the severe packet loss.

To perform a trace route, open a MSdos window and type:
tracert aw2.mpl.net

new citizenship

Jan 2, 2002, 7:12pm
[View Quote] The thing that currently concerns me is those of us NOT in the US.

The value of the NZ dollar, currently is around $1 NZ to 40c US. that would
mean that the cost of a single cit comes close to $300 NZ dollars, which
isn't a small amount. $114 US may not seem that much to those living in the
USA, because the wages are proportionally higher.
Wages in NZ to simply put it, around 40% of what people in the US get. If
the price of a cit was only $120 NZ then I feel it would probably be still
worth it, but to hand over close to $300 isn't cheap, Too be honest I feel I
could better entertainment elsewhere for a similar amount dispite what it
says in the letter. Similar situation for those in Australia and possibly
elsewhere.

Who will leave

Jan 3, 2002, 6:11am
[View Quote] Depends

I'll be sitting tight for a while until I have to renew in September. Then
I will make the decision. Whether I feel I'll be getting my moneys worth
and whether there are enough people in AW to interact/have fun with. If AW
begins feeling like a ghost town, that many friends have gone, I'm unable
to make many new friends to replace the ones I've lost and AW hasn't
progressed at a satisfactory rate, then I'll probably just leave.

If I am going to end up paying $114 US (almost $300 NZ) a year I would
expect the product
AW provides to be of atleast a very high standard.

We'll just wait and see what happens.

Why not package AW and sell it in stores?

Jan 3, 2002, 3:05am
[View Quote] I found this place while browsing through old copies of my previous ISP's
monthly magazine (no longer published). They had a small snippet on AW and
I thought I'd take a look.

Does Anyone Actually Realize....

Jan 3, 2002, 6:32pm
[View Quote] Well, How do you go about doing this, is there a page somewhere to do this?

1  2  3  4  |