=?iso-8859-1?q?eep=b2?= // User Search

1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  13  |

I Wish I May, I Wish I Might...

Oct 6, 1998, 6:24am
--------------0E2BAE29F5F91573653A7146

....wish that AW would return to REAL development and forget this lame SDK crap that 95% of the AW population won't be able to use...

--------------0E2BAE29F5F91573653A7146

<HTML>
....wish that AW would return to REAL development and forget this lame SDK
crap that 95% of the AW population won't be able to use...</HTML>

--------------0E2BAE29F5F91573653A7146--

I Wish I May, I Wish I Might...

Oct 6, 1998, 9:18pm
--------------F5F3C5F63267D25CBDFA0E43

Um, as I understand the gist of the SDK, it's for bots and bots only. If this isn't the case, please correct me, but I'm pretty sure all it's for are bots. You can only do SO much with bots... I'd much rather have clipping fixed and better collision detection, among a bajillion other things on The List™.

Besides, most of the INHERENT, BASIC problems lie in the rendering engine itself, or at least COF's implementation of it. I feel that needs SERIOUS work before any LUXURY features like bots. <twirl finger> I'd much rather have the ENGINE of a car working better than the sunroof, dig? This ain't brain surgery...priorities, COF, priorities. Icing on the cake or the ingredients that make up the cake itself. Think please.

[View Quote] > Eep: one of your major complaints has been that AW only has one
> programmer to work on all the stuff. The reason there's only one is not
> for lack of desire for a larger team, but that they can only afford to
> hire one programmer. With the SDK ("Software Developers Kit") there is
> now a vertiable army of programmers all donating their time for free to
> pump out all these little applications that Roland wouldnt' have had
> time for. I bet that within a month 95% of the AW population *will* be
> using SDK developed programs! Hambot+Robobuilder are just two examples
> of programs that can potentionally be a Lot better after incorporating
> the SDK functions.

[View Quote] --------------F5F3C5F63267D25CBDFA0E43

<HTML>
Um, as I understand the gist of the SDK, it's for bots and bots only. If
this isn't the case, please correct me, but I'm pretty sure all it's for
are bots. You can only do SO much with bots... I'd much rather have clipping
fixed and better collision detection, among a bajillion other things on
The List™.
<P>Besides, most of the INHERENT, BASIC problems lie in the rendering engine
itself, or at least COF's implementation of it. I feel that needs SERIOUS
work before any LUXURY features like bots. &lt;twirl finger> I'd much rather
have the ENGINE of a car working better than the sunroof, dig? This ain't
brain surgery...priorities, COF, priorities. Icing on the cake or the ingredients
that make up the cake itself. Think please.
[View Quote] --------------F5F3C5F63267D25CBDFA0E43--

I Wish I May, I Wish I Might...

Oct 6, 1998, 11:40pm
--------------AE5F5488355B3718DC53E03C

Welllllll, then you might want to give Roland more ideas cuz all he has up on the "other applications" link on the SDK site are bots. <yawn> Bots are so passe...

[View Quote] > OK, here's your correction: The SDK is not only for Bots, they just
> happen to be the current craze. Basically, the SDK allows third party
> apps to manipulate the AW client and/or server without human
> intervention, other than initial setup, being required. The only reason
> that Bots are the focus right now is that Bots are the focus right now.
> The SDK's uses are only limited by the imagination and programming
> skills of those using it.

--------------AE5F5488355B3718DC53E03C

<HTML>
Welllllll, then you might want to give Roland more ideas cuz all he has
up on the "other applications" link on the SDK site are bots. &lt;yawn>
Bots are so passe...
[View Quote] --------------AE5F5488355B3718DC53E03C--

I Wish I May, I Wish I Might...

Oct 14, 1998, 6:49pm
--------------9FD13F2CDACD6328ABCAA2C8

Wanna bet? If anything it's getting longer. Have you seen it recently?

[View Quote] > Bada boom bada bing, the List™ is a whole lot shorter, and getting shorter
> faster.

--------------9FD13F2CDACD6328ABCAA2C8

<HTML>
Wanna bet? If anything it's getting longer. Have you seen it recently?
[View Quote] --------------9FD13F2CDACD6328ABCAA2C8--

I Wish I May, I Wish I Might...

Oct 14, 1998, 11:15pm
Sorry, that copout ain't gonna work. Try again.

[View Quote] > For my sentence to make any sense you have to read the rest of my message...putting the end of my page as a stand alone statement does not convey my previous post. Nor does your question have any relevance when added to the context of my previous post.

[View Quote]

I Wish I May, I Wish I Might...

Oct 14, 1998, 11:54pm
--------------EE9EDF442BFA926E7803A00D

Well I have and can tell you that most of the stuff on it STILL hasn't been done. Roland asked me not to show it to anyone though so I won't post it here, but you can ask him yourself about it.

[View Quote] > I sure haven't. I wish Roland would publish it some where.

> Eep² <eep at tnlc.com> wrote in article <36250E60.83B0F20C at tnlc.com>...

--------------EE9EDF442BFA926E7803A00D

<HTML>
Well I have and can tell you that most of the stuff on it STILL hasn't
been done. Roland asked me not to show it to anyone though so I won't post
it here, but you can ask him yourself about it.
[View Quote] <BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>Eep&sup2; &lt;eep at tnlc.com> wrote in article &lt;36250E60.83B0F20C at tnlc.com>...
<BR>> Wanna bet? If anything it's getting longer. Have you seen it recently?
<BR>>
[View Quote] --------------EE9EDF442BFA926E7803A00D--

I Wish I May, I Wish I Might...

Oct 15, 1998, 7:09pm
--------------E1A4B5134D0704DFC135BA5A

Because you'll see just how LITTLE AW has developed. Roland also said most stuff on the 10/17/97 List is irrelevant too.

[View Quote] > Why can't we see it?

[View Quote] --------------E1A4B5134D0704DFC135BA5A

<HTML>
Because you'll see just how LITTLE AW has developed. Roland also said most
stuff on the 10/17/97 List is irrelevant too.
[View Quote] <BLOCKQUOTE TYPE = CITE>Eep&sup2; &lt;eep at tnlc.com> wrote in article &lt;36250E60.83B0F20C at tnlc.com>...
<BR>> Wanna bet? If anything it's getting longer. Have you seen it recently?
<BR>>
[View Quote] --------------E1A4B5134D0704DFC135BA5A--

grid control

Oct 10, 1998, 4:10am
--------------2283E5D95F56EB27FDD7E9CC

For a more detailed explanation on object manipulation measurement, see http://tnlc.com/rw/measurement-scale-object.html.

[View Quote] [View Quote] --------------2283E5D95F56EB27FDD7E9CC

<HTML>
For a more detailed explanation on object manipulation measurement, see
<A HREF="http://tnlc.com/rw/measurement-scale-object.html">http://tnlc.com/rw/measurement-scale-object.html</A>.
[View Quote] --------------2283E5D95F56EB27FDD7E9CC--

Virtual Virus

Oct 15, 1998, 10:19pm
--------------98B5317632FC3E9E842690E9

Eh, pipe down and learn how to spell, kid.

[View Quote] > I find thsi whole section of the NG(one half og the newsgroup wow!)
> hilarious because u cover sooooo much of the list and ge to nothing other
> than annoy Nas over one suggestion...now then the beer thingyw ere ya click
> that would be neat, and some other people are right aobut it being random,
> so maybe if you never build and you never talk, then u coudl become prone to
> get that virus, because we are here in AW to talk build and hang out..not to
> mention look at others buildings. I sitll see this ver hilarious and
> pointless to fill half of the newsgroup just to say how you dont like a
> suggestion, I thought newsgroups were to help people with stuff, and share
> information, NOT to annoy people because they said something stpid, your
> acting like Kids(i should know im 12).

--------------98B5317632FC3E9E842690E9

<HTML>
Eh, pipe down and learn how to spell, kid.
[View Quote] --------------98B5317632FC3E9E842690E9--

Holographic Storage

Oct 13, 1998, 4:30pm
--------------B7E72F328150CDC351612E44

Uh, what does this have to do with AW? And I heard about this like 5 years ago...

[View Quote] > Evidently a consortiun of scientists at semiconductor manufacturing
> conglomerants will soon "overflow" the "limits" of current magnetic storage
> with (lazer) etchings (extreme ultraviolet lithography) on "sugarcubed sized
> crystals" producing (1000X) greater storage capacity with (100X) faster data
> retrieval . Information is accessed SIMULTANIOUSLY , not secquentially (as
> with YOUR current disks! So keep on EXPANDING those Ideas! 'Guy-avitars' and
> 'Gal- avitars'!
> -StarGuy

--------------B7E72F328150CDC351612E44

<HTML>
Uh, what does this have to do with AW? And I heard about this like 5 years
ago...
[View Quote] --------------B7E72F328150CDC351612E44--

Holographic Storage

Oct 13, 1998, 9:22pm
--------------1F562A27157E5DDDD80667B1

My point is it's not even IN personal computers, let alone accessible to AW, so it's futile to discuss it here and waste space. Go to comp.hardware.future or something.

[View Quote] > Think about it Eep. If the source of the downloads is using this
> technology, then the transfer rate will not be dependent upon sequential
> two way data transmission, but with one transmission for data retrieval and
> all the information necessary will come as fast as the lines will carry it.
> No more long download waits.
> Also, better performance because AW will be able to retrieve information
> all at once, rather than sequentially, from the hard drive.
>
> I may be wrong, but that is my interpretation of his somewhat cryptic
> message.
>
> Eep² <eep at tnlc.com> wrote in article <36239C32.97034E8A at tnlc.com>...
> years ago...

--------------1F562A27157E5DDDD80667B1

<HTML>
My point is it's not even IN personal computers, let alone accessible to
AW, so it's futile to discuss it here and waste space. Go to comp.hardware.future
or something.
[View Quote] --------------1F562A27157E5DDDD80667B1--

Protect our objects directories with password

Oct 22, 1998, 10:44pm
Not entirely...

[View Quote] > The AW cache structure is designed to keep people from extracting objects
> and images from their hard drive and stealing them

irc-like cmnd line interface

Oct 26, 1998, 5:48pm
Get used to the frustration. I've been here over 1.5 years and I'm STILL frustrated with AW...

[View Quote] > After using AW for less than 2 weeks, the differences between it and
> Internet Relay Chat have become painfully obvious. Most notably is the
> lack of a command line for typing out commands such as Mute so wildcards
> could be used. Hanging around AWGate as I do I see every troublemaker
> who has yet to make some other point their default for arrival within AW
> and yearn for the ability to Mute these people with something like
> /ignore *!* at dialup.isp.net and am highly discouarged that all I have to
> ignore them with is /ignore nickname at *.* All the Mute feature in its
> current config does is make it nesscessary for the abusive user to
> switch nicks. Something any tourist can do in 10 secs.
> One such user goes by the nick of "Preston" among others and has been
> a thorn in my side since he attracted my attention yesterday by taking
> the nicks of GKs, Members, and other tourists. He even boasts about how
> many times he's be Ejected from the Gate and/or other Worlds. Obviously
> something needs to be fixed in how Mute and the Eject command work.
> I dunno diddly about programming, but can't imagine it's that hard a
> thing to do. Ask Khaled for help if ya need to (heh) but resolve this
> matter post haste or I for one will soon have no hair left upon my head
> from all the pulling out I do in frustration that real troublemakers can
> skirt around mutes and bans with wild abandon.

True?

Nov 4, 1998, 8:28pm
This was deleted; let's see if it stays this time, but I doubt it...

Date: Wed, 4 Nov 1998 16:41:10 -0500
From: "Jim Martin" <jimartin at mediaone.net>
To: <eep at tnlc.com>

GZ on 9/30
"Protag AKA Ron: I have been forced to defend myself in this
action and have countersued them on 7 counts of various
charges... including securities fraud.... breach of contract and
breach of fiducary duty...."

Anyone have more info?

Tab Sorting

Nov 5, 1998, 1:25am
Worlds: reverse alphabetical sorting ("Name" column) and reverse numerical sorting ("Users" column)
Contacts: reverse alphabetical sorting (both columns)

Telegrams: add "World" (alphabetical/reverse-alphabetical sorting), "Coordinates" (numerical/reverse numerical sorting), and "Description" (alphabetical/reverse-alphabetical sorting) columns

This newsgroup

Nov 17, 1998, 9:53pm
Feh...you must be new to AW. COF doesn't implement even 10% of what users suggest here, let alone what's on their OWN TheList™. AW is about stagnation, not development.

[View Quote] > Who says he doesn't read them?
> Besides: Active worlds and the Aw-browser are under constant change.
> Probably there wouldn't be so many changes when these newsgroups did not
> exist...

[View Quote]

This newsgroup

Nov 17, 1998, 11:22pm
It didn't improve (develop) much before Protag left when there were 2 programmers were working on AW either though...

[View Quote] > Let's face it. It's not going to improve a lot with only one programmer
> handling the whole project.

[View Quote]

This newsgroup

Nov 18, 1998, 2:39am
Exactly. SOME development, no matter how small, is better than nothing. My guess is Roland's been working on the SDK so much he hasn't had time to work on the browser, especially considering Protag left and is now in the process of suing COF...

[View Quote] > better, hell, even jstu updating it all the time instead of in lumps would make
> alot more people happy.

This newsgroup

Nov 18, 1998, 4:57pm
I just want to see an online interactive real-time 3D VR environment actually DEVELOP. I don't care WHICH one it is but AW seems to be the farthest along...for now. I'm also interested in 3D Anarchy (http://attitudesoftware.com/) and Flatland (http://flatland.com/). Plus I naturally want to improve things (find bugs, make suggestions, etc) so complaining comes naturally too I guess. :) But I try to offer ways to alleviate the need for complaint in the first place, but I've been talking with COF for a while now so I realize it's hopeless for the most part--nothing left to do BUT complain. :/

[View Quote] > BTW,

> If you are always complaining; why do you read these newsgroups.
> I must be very much mistaking if not < 50% of your posts is complaint.
>
> Mmm... Not a bad idea. Why don't we/them/somebody add a 9th nesgroup for
> "flame & complain"
> Then you could move there.. Guess you'd very much feel at home and
> understood.

This newsgroup

Nov 19, 1998, 12:16am
Lack of money. Good programmers aren't cheap.

Around 10/14/97, there were around 4517 paid citizens (totaling at least $90,340).

Today there are around, according to Roland, 14,000 paid citizens (totalling $279,300).

COF ain't exactly rollin' in dough. :/

[View Quote] > Two programmers!!! A project like AW should have 20 or a hundred! How about starting to look for more programmers, If AW
> started going somewhere they would pay for themselves...

[View Quote]

This newsgroup

Nov 20, 1998, 2:55am
You'd think so, but considering Roland's the only programmer left, I doubt COF has much money to spend, or at least much money to spend on programmers. Who knows...JP and Rick could be going on vacations all the time (which might explain their lack of presence in the newsgroups) and/or blowing it on a bunch of crap they don't really need...

[View Quote] > Don't forget world sales and hosting. That should be a good chunk of change.

[View Quote]

This newsgroup

Nov 23, 1998, 3:25pm
Can't stand coding. HTML, RWX, and some minor Javascripting is the extent of my programming...and even that's a pain. I like WYSIWYG. I want a TRUE visual programming language.

[View Quote] > Learn to program. I think you got the right attitude.

Will we finally see Netscape as an integrated browser ???

Dec 12, 1998, 5:07pm
Doubtful, considering Roland told me yesterday that he hardly ever reads the newsgroups except for beta (when a beta has been released) and sdk...kinda pointless, eh? So you can bet he doesn't give a shit about wishlist...I never figured COF would actually LOOK there anyway; they just made the group to keep the "customers" happy and actually think they can help improve AW. Feh...

[View Quote] > well, lets hope roland has a look at this thread. . . .

development

Dec 8, 1998, 8:08pm
I wish AW would actually DEVELOP. I can't even remember when the last build was released. Anyone seen Roland around anyway?? <blink>

Why not applaud COF rather than gripe?

Dec 16, 1998, 6:06pm
Oh, wait, they've hired Hamfon part-time (probably working on the SDK), so that makes 1.5 programmers...sorta. Still...

[View Quote] > What the heck do you expect with only one programmer?

Why not applaud COF rather than gripe?

Dec 18, 1998, 7:59am
Not necessarily. He's only part-time, from what Roland told me. It's probably more like a ~125% increase. It's a "start" (resume), I guess, however.

[View Quote] > hmmm, that's still a 150% increase.

[View Quote]

Wishlist FAQ?

Dec 16, 1998, 6:08pm
You're fairly new yourself, Cubic. Try reading some of the early messages of these newsgroups. Too bad the old discussion messages aren't around...THEN you'd understand...that was before COF finally learned how to DELETE messages.

[View Quote] > Sorry but I think his idea's ain't that weird.
> I suggest we all start promoting these things.
> Even if it won't work, it will at least result in *some* positive changes by
> COF ;-)

Wishlist FAQ?

Dec 16, 1998, 6:10pm
Roland couldn't give a shit what the community wants. It's obvious COF has its own agenda. Roland has a list of improvements/features/bugs (I've seen 2 versions of it) but maybe 5% of the things ever get done.

Sure, it might be INTERESTING to see what "the community" wants, assuming it's a legitiment voting system, but I seriously doubt COF will give a shit...

[View Quote] > This might actually be a good idea, although it would require a lot of work.
> Anyway it would be good because it would be a more discernable list of
> demands set by the AW community....and there could even be a top ten list of
> the most sought after new features. Roland only adds one he thinks are most
> wanted, which may or may not be actually the most popular. A clearer way of
> showing what is really the most popular could bring about the implementation
> of our fav features all the sooner. And also we would then have our own
> copy of "the list" for us to gripe about :)
>
> Ok so its a bit different then what that guy originally posted about...but
> its a kewl anyway.

Wishlist FAQ?

Dec 16, 1998, 6:11pm
[View Quote] [View Quote] Even RenderWare's Direct3D driver is shit-slow...

Wishlist FAQ?

Dec 16, 1998, 6:19pm
Woo, your newness (renewness? awayness?) is DEFINITELY showing. For as lo=
ng as I've been in these newsgroups (since around summer '97), there's be=
enn MUCH discussion of ideas, features, options, etc. COF RARELY got in o=
n the discussions and hardly any of them ever got implemented (that weren=
't already supposedly thought up by COF, et al). For example, my first su=
ggestion was to add group selecting/copying/moving/deleting/editing. It O=
NLY took COF 1.5 years to implement. Of course other people said my sugge=
stion wasn't new and Roland himself even said he thought of it (or someth=
ing). Eh...whatever. Point is: COF is slow...DAMN slow. They wouldn't be =
able to make it as a REAL company because their development cycle is shit=
=2E Look at AW...yes it might be the best online 3D VR multi-user, real-t=
ime building environment, but that's not saying much considering such env=
ironments aren't even that popular to begin with. AW is like 3-4 years ol=
d now...it's development has been WAY slow. Only idiots still use softwar=
e rendering when cheap 3D cards can snap it with 4MB RAM tied behind thei=
r PCI/AGP slot. Gimme a break.

[View Quote] > and this would allow development ideas to be thought-through in some de=
tail
> by a lot of users, rather than individual pin-heads DEMANDING their ide=
a be
> developed RIGHT NOW.
>
> discussion on specific proposals could be done here in the NG, and once=

> sufficient support around a concensus form of the development, then it =
gets
> put up on a vote-list. Kind of pre-filtering to prevent prolific poste=
rs
> spamming the voting list to push their cause.
>
> Sheesh, you guys need to lobby more effectively...whinging does not get=

> results, but constructive community grass-roots activities do...just li=
ke in
> RL.

Eh, AW STILL doesn't have much community despite the INTENSE community ef=
fort put out by the citizens. Please try and stay current and informed be=
fore looking lame. In fact, I'd say most of the work has been done by Luc=
rezia Borgia in terms of "community" development. She must've cast a spel=
l on Rick or something...

> BTW, yes I have come back to AW after about 10 months away, and no I ha=
ven't
> been in the NG much at all, but I have been using AW since the bad old =
days
> of Worlds inc, and browsers that didn't dynamically download. From my
> perspective, the project has really come forward since then, but obviou=
sly
> not at the pace some would like.

Only a mere 10 months yet you think AW didn't dynamically download then? =
What crack you smoking? Better trace your AW history at http://tnlc.com/m=
auz/history.html and learn a little...

> Oh ,yeah Fluxen and TheCheese...don't fucking patronise me.

Yea, you do it WAY too much all by yourself. ;)

1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  13  |